Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:woop: deafwoop :woop:

:siren: 9/20/2022

quote:

DEATHLOOP’s latest update is almost here and it’s bringing a lot of new goodies for you to enjoy, from a new weapon and ability to a new enemy and more, plus a new console to experience the award-winning game on.
That’s right, on September 20, DEATHLOOP is coming to Xbox Series X|S. Discover everything the GOLDENLOOP Update has to offer below, including details on the Xbox launch.

NEW PLATFORMS & CROSSPLAY
In addition to adding a host of new features to the game, the GOLDENLOOP Update brings DEATHLOOP to brand new platforms! With this update, you’ll be able to play on Xbox Series X|S. And if you’re a PlayStation Plus (Extra or Premium) or Game Pass member, you’ll be able to play all of DEATHLOOP (including the new GOLDENLOOP Update features) for free on day one.

The GOLDENLOOP Update also introduces crossplay for PvP matchmaking across PSN, Xbox, Steam, Epic and the Microsoft Store environments. You can set your Cross-Platform Matchmaking setting to Any (all platforms) or Same (just your platform), and you can also set your Cross-Platform Matchmaking controller to Any (all controller types) or Same (just the one you’re using).

Xbox console and PC versions will also feature cross-purchase and cross-save, so if you purchase DEATHLOOP through the Microsoft Store on either Xbox or PC, you’ll be able to play it on your other Microsoft platforms and pick up right where you left off.

NEW ABILITY: FUGUE
Blackreef is an eternal party, and what’s an eternal party without a little intoxication? The new Fugue ability is a projectile that slows and confuses your target, briefly rendering them harmless (and tipsy). The Fugue ability also includes four discoverable upgrades:

Coda: Extended duration
Earworm: Cast a Fugue “mine” on a surface
Discord: Target becomes hostile toward its allies
Syncopation: On target’s death, Fugue affects nearby enemies

Just imagine the damage you could do with the combination of Discord and Syncopation. Now that’s Colt’s kind of party.

You’ll have to do a little digging to find out how you can nab the Fugue Slab. Maybe check out Karl’s Bay in the afternoon? You may find a new mystery to unravel.

NEW WEAPON: HALPS PROTOTYPE
The Visionary Wenjie has a new treat for you. The HALPS Prototype is a new energy-based rifle that fires a continuous laser-like beam, allowing you to rip through your enemies with precision. Fire the beam at a turret or security camera to refract the beam and hit your foes with bank shots.

NEW ENEMY: PAINT-BOMBER
If you thought the other Eternalists were off their rockers, just wait until you meet the Paint-Bomber. These new NPCs are taking their creative flair to a new level, strapping themselves with a bandolier of paint-filled explosives that they’re all too happy to ignite while they sprint your way. Don’t let them get too close or they’ll take you down in a blaze of glory with them and turn you into another paint smear on the island of Blackreef’s colorful streets.

NEW ABILITY UPGRADES: FOUR NEW UPGRADES FOR JULIANNA’S MASQUERADE ABILITY
Previously Julianna’s unique ability Masquerade was the only ability in the game without its own upgrades, but no longer. With the GOLDENLOOP Update, you’ll have four possible upgrade options:

Ensemble: Target up to three NPCs with Masquerade
Mend: Regenerate health while using Masquerade on an NPC
Expose: When an NPC affected by Masquerade dies or spots Colt, Colt is automatically tagged
Incognito: Damage taken while using Masquerade is converted to Energy

NEW 2-IN-1 TRINKETS
19 new trinkets have been added to DEATHLOOP, but these trinkets aren’t like the ones you’re used to. These 2-in-1 trinkets all combine the abilities of two existing trinkets. Take the new ‘Wrecking Ball’ trinket, for example, which fuses the existing ‘Sprinter’ (move faster) and ‘Unstoppable Force’ (damage an enemy by sprinting into them) trinkets. Or ‘Rolling In It’, which is a blend of ‘Deep Pockets’ (carry more ammo) and ‘Stab N Grab’ (receive ammo from melee kills). Snag one of these dual-purpose trinkets to free up some space in your gear for new trinket possibilities.

AND NEW SECRETS…
… Including an extended ending for the game and other surprises. But what would be the fun in spoiling them for you? You’ll just have to play through DEATHLOOP to see what else the GOLDENLOOP Update has in store for you.

Deathloop, an Arkane Lyon joint, is an upcoming puzzle-based FPS for the PS5/PC (edit) & Xbox X|S!. Up front it features high speed shooting and platforming gameplay reminiscent to the developer's own Dishonored series. This time around however Arkane has spiced things up with an apocalyptic 'party at the end of the world' art-deco aesthetic, a sci-fi narrative that may or may not contain themes similar to Portal 2/Bioshock, a progression structure that has been compared to The Outer Wilds/Majora's Mask/Hitman (or in movie terms Groundhog Day/Live.Die.Repeat.), and asymmetrical PvEvP multiplayer to tie the experience together. In sum, Arkane's taking a huge leap of faith in a sprawling arcade style high-concept game that may or may not find an audience. Sign me the gently caress up.

https://bethesda.net/en/article/E1GQNUk9ARha3zDoIkuTM/deathloops-free-goldenloop-update-new-ability-weapon-crossplay-and-much-more

:dehumanize::dehumanize::dehumanize::dehumanize::dehumanize::dehumanize::dehumanize::dehumanize:

What to expect?

One big rear end island with complex, interwoven narrative timelines and crossover events.

Slip-slidin shooty action with superpowers.

There are two main characters in Deathloop and a host of ancillary 'marks', the objective of the game being to defy the constraints of Blackreef's endless techno time-loop, evade your rival assassin, and murder them all in one go using whatever knowledge and weaponry you can scrape together.

The Assassins

Colt Vahn is the protagonist and player character of Deathloop, a mysterious assassin with a fresh price on his head, trapped in a 1960s furniture store commercial...for infinity.

-

Juliana Blake is the main antagonist, a rival assassin who now occupies Colt's former job, she seeks to head Colt off at every pass and murder him in ever more creative ways. Juliana can be controlled by another player through online matchmaking, or the game can be played offline and her behavior will be governed by AI.

-

The Visionaries

Aleksis "The Wolf" Dorsey, Charlie Montague, Fia Zborowska, Dr. Wenjie Evans, Ramblin' Frank Spicer, Harriet Morse, and Egor Serling

A group of scientists, bankers, artists, and party animals who are also cold-blooded killers trying to live forever, no matter the cost. They'll stop at nothing to prevent Colt from breaking the time loop and shutting down party town.

:killing::killing::killing::killing::killing::killing::killing::killing:

Media

cinematic trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXv5IDp8y74

concept trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziktWnfJcA

walkthrough trailer 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT1BlnDt1R4

next-gen enhancements trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsCivo9oR4U

:slick: funky :slick:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am looking forward to this.

Imagine a lot of peoples playthroughs will be very different, defeating Juliana early on will probably be helpful, as without her throwing a wrench defeating the other seven targets should be easier.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
methgoop will redefine 1v1+AI timeloop funkpunk FPSs as we know them.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Sexy Brutale, but in first person, with guns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am looking forward to this.

Imagine a lot of peoples playthroughs will be very different, defeating Juliana early on will probably be helpful, as without her throwing a wrench defeating the other seven targets should be easier.

I wonder if you even can defeat her early.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love Arkane's games and I'm hyped for this, and hoping it will have the replayability that Prey in particular had. It seems like there is plenty of scope to approach things in different ways and take out the bad guys in any order you like, and they've done cool (if limited) poo poo before with your actions wildly changing up the rest of the game like in Dishonored 2.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still can't quite picture in my head how a session of this game plays out. Is it more of a roguelike style where you'll do lots of quicker runs trying to optimise your loop? Or is it a level-based campaign? Or an open-world freeform style thing without time constraints? What if someone joins your game and you kill them really quickly? Doesn't that take out a lot of the tension because the main antagonist is now gone?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
A weird direction for Interstate 76 to take, but not unwelcome

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bardeh posted:

I still can't quite picture in my head how a session of this game plays out. Is it more of a roguelike style where you'll do lots of quicker runs trying to optimise your loop? Or is it a level-based campaign? Or an open-world freeform style thing without time constraints? What if someone joins your game and you kill them really quickly? Doesn't that take out a lot of the tension because the main antagonist is now gone?

Yeah, if a given loop is supposed to last up to a full 24 hours in-universe time, then you can't exactly do it realtime. I could see them partitioning the island into several levels, with each level representing a few in-universe hours, and allowing players to go through levels in any order? That could also help sidestepping the issue that every single thing you do is governed by a giant clock ticking over your head, by keeping at least some of the time-sensitive bits independent of one another.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bardeh posted:

Hard to say. Arkane are playing this one real close to the chest. There's definitely some secret poo poo going on with this game that they aren't talking about.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

The antagonist player makes the structure they need weird. I'm also curious to see how they solve it.

I suspect they'll want to keep both players as long as possible, instead of returning to matchmaking any time the hero hits a fail state. If the hero dies, the mission resets. If the antagonist dies, they respawn or pick themselves up? That would work best with something like Hitman's level layouts where all the key characters are present and you gently caress around on the level until you get all the right plates spinning.

But they could be doing a string of missions in a campaign style. Antagonist leaves the session on death. Hero resets the mission if they die.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I read somewhere that time is divided into Morning, Noon, Evening, Night and that effects the state of each level. So I think maybe stuff you do in the Morning will result in different Noon Evening and Night states. This is pure conjecture though.

Anyway this game is going to rip hard. Prey is fully one of the best immersive sims and thus games ever made. So excited to see what Arkane do with this new game. I'm gonna play Deathloop until my eyes bleed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm very curious to see how good this game will be.
Most because Arkane Studios is my favorite developer but they've had a bunch of people leave some time back, so it would be interesting to know if all the core talent stayed at Arkane or moved to Wolfeye Studios.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Donnerberg posted:

The antagonist player makes the structure they need weird. I'm also curious to see how they solve it.

I suspect they'll want to keep both players as long as possible, instead of returning to matchmaking any time the hero hits a fail state. If the hero dies, the mission resets. If the antagonist dies, they respawn or pick themselves up? That would work best with something like Hitman's level layouts where all the key characters are present and you gently caress around on the level until you get all the right plates spinning.

But they could be doing a string of missions in a campaign style. Antagonist leaves the session on death. Hero resets the mission if they die.

Yeah, I do hope that it being a next-gen title means this kind of matchmaking thing will be relatively seamless and snappy.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

I'm very curious to see how good this game will be.
Most because Arkane Studios is my favorite developer but they've had a bunch of people leave some time back, so it would be interesting to know if all the core talent stayed at Arkane or moved to Wolfeye Studios.

Same. I really really like Arkane's games, but Raphaël Colantonio (the founder) leaving back in 2017 gives me pause. That and them working on multiplayer/co-op games now for some reason.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

itry posted:

Same. I really really like Arkane's games, but Raphaël Colantonio (the founder) leaving back in 2017 gives me pause. That and them working on multiplayer/co-op games now for some reason.

Yeah, that's always concerning when it happens. I'll be honest I don't know a lot about the studio but apparently Deathloop began development well before Gen 9 consoles were announced (perhaps as early as 2016) and its asymmetrical PvP system is based on work they originally did for another game called The Crossing from the late 00s that never got released, so it definitely feels like there's some DNA of the earlier studio culture in here even though the vibe is more colorful and chaotic than Prey or Dishonored.

Here is an article about how it's leveraging PS5

https://www.gameinformer.com/2021/03/23/how-deathloop-uses-the-added-power-of-ps5

and also, Wired kinda bleh but this write-up about the two black mains and their VAs is nice to see

https://www.wired.com/story/deathloop-radical-necessity-of-2-black-leads/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

If Mooncrash was their prototype for this game, I'm hyped. Actually, I'm hyped anyway, even if I am concerned about Colantonio's loss as well.

I promise myself I don't get excited for games that aren't out yet but I make an exception for Arkane and Arkane alone.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

digging the aesthetic really hard here, drat it's lit

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this game isn't coming out until next year

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

grieving for Gandalf posted:

this game isn't coming out until next year

op this game is coming this fall to a neighborhood console near you. please be excited :hai:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's not coming out until next year or the year after, because I can't get a video card until then. :negative:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

aniviron posted:

It's not coming out until next year or the year after, because I can't get a video card until then. :negative:

gently caress, that's raw

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe we'll see a covid effect on graphical fidelity in video games. Then you won't need a new video card :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I wonder if you even can defeat her early.

I imagine you can. Julliana is one of the Eight Targets you have to take out to win the game. She will just be different then the other seven cause she does not have a set behavior.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine you can. Julliana is one of the Eight Targets you have to take out to win the game. She will just be different then the other seven cause she does not have a set behavior.

Yeah, I'm really interest in how experimental this is gonna get, seems like a tough thing to balance, but also very cool sounding.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

apparently deathloop will be on the menu for the next state of play

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1412411083361509385

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzjq6myYALo

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Not crazy about the super powers, I expected something more grounded except the time-loop, but okay. My concern is I'm too slow to keep up with all the teleporting around.

The extra lives mechanic is clever. The antagonist probably gets that too along with the same resource system for a custom loadout, making the pvp portion of the mission a first to 3 kills.

They could even set this up so both players think they're Colt and see the other as Juliana.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 8, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm bout it. Going dark on media tho, I'd like to save the surprises

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

My knee-jerk reaction is "Dishonored 2 gameplay with more guns" which sounds dismissive but it really isn't, because Dishonored 2 combat is fluid and fun as hell. There's no non-lethal approach to the game apparently so it'll be great to have a reason to let loose with all the fun powers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Donnerberg posted:

Not crazy about the super powers, I expected something more grounded except the time-loop, but okay. My concern is I'm too slow to keep up with all the teleporting around.

The extra lives mechanic is clever. The antagonist probably gets that too along with the same resource system for a custom loadout, making the pvp portion of the mission a first to 3 kills.

They could even set this up so both players think they're Colt and see the other as Juliana.

It ain't an arkane game without a blink.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm bout it. Going dark on media tho, I'd like to save the surprises

Yeah that looks like exactly what I wanted and I'm gonna go dark on any more until the game comes out too, wanna save the surprises.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
The music when poo poo starts blowing up is pretty rad

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Donnerberg posted:

My concern is I'm too slow to keep up with all the teleporting around.

The trailers are always like that, but I assume that, same as Dishonored and Prey, most people will play slowly and carefully. It's flashy to watch someone who is really fast though, and flashy is what you want in a trailer.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Interesting Julianna is a PVP invasion mechanic but guess not really worth getting excited for it since Doom Eternal claimed empowered demons would be the same thing. But nothing came of it until recently when it was finally, and officially, cancelled.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Well I was somewhat excited about this game until I watched this video. That looks extremely floaty, shallow, and lifeless. Big fan of how you're apparently permanently invisible to enemies even when you're standing 5 feet in front of them or beheading their friends right next to them :confused: Hopefully the main characters have some actual personality in the full game at least.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 10, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Interesting Julianna is a PVP invasion mechanic but guess not really worth getting excited for it since Doom Eternal claimed empowered demons would be the same thing. But nothing came of it until recently when it was finally, and officially, cancelled.

Except that was an extra mode to be added later while Julianna is in the main game that is coming out in 2 months. They’ve said you can play offline with an AI Julianna if you want.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RatHat posted:

Except that was an extra mode to be added later while Julianna is in the main game that is coming out in 2 months. They’ve said you can play offline with an AI Julianna if you want.

I can't wait to hear people raging about "juliana sweat's" who killed them right as they got to the end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogstile posted:

I can't wait to hear people raging about "juliana sweat's" who killed them right as they got to the end.

You have to kill Juliana to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

itry posted:

Raf left the company in good hands---Harvey Smith is still there in the Austin branch doing Redfall, while the guys in Lyon making this have been in quite a lot of documentaries for Prey/Dishonored concerning level design and programming. For all intents and purposes, it's still the same Arkane. This one looks like a compilation of everything they've done + finally giving many people what they wanted from Dishonored i.e. "guilt free murderspree with powers and emergent gameplay." Really stoked about playing this but I hope my PC will be up to the task---it handled RE8 no problem so here's to hoping.