Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subujun
Mar 31, 2010
https://twitter.com/subujun/status/1414737946947751941

That's my forth (and final on the Matrix) run of the game for this fiesta. Did an 'Advanced' run with 'Upgrade.' Rolled Time Mage > Beastmaster > Samurai > Gladiator.

First time I rolled Beastmaster on this version of the game and good god is it ever nerfed here. !Calm obviously only does the cool thing on the GBA version, but you also can't release four Yellow Dragons on ExDeath in World 2. They always miss, making him take forever to kill. That really sucked to encounter without having any foreknowledge.

Quick Leak doesn't work on Omega in this version. Not only can you not target yourself with a Venom Rod to bounce Sap, that status doesn't last forever even when under Quick status (I tried with several different released monsters). So that's another run where I won't be bothering to beat him.

Not an issue with this run, but Omniscient also gets 0 mp Returns making it impossible to run him out of mp. I'm sure there are a bunch of other things that were patched that make it harder for other jobs as well. The only neat thing is the auto save on area transitions. I feel that doesn't make up for the uglier graphics and making fiesta runs more annoying based on what you rolled because of things they patched up. I've already uninstalled this version of the game and don't intend to ever reinstall it.

Gladiator is super OP. You get a 25% chance on a 9999 damage attack even at low levels with !Finisher. Made killing Shinryu really easy. I just smacked him with a Power Staff and then spammed Quick and Finisher until he was dead. NED was similar: Quick and then two Finishers, chugging my several Elixirs while under Quick here and there. Hit the back piece with a Magic Lamp summoned Odin to finish him off. I didn't land up using anything from Samurai, which was the only repeat that I got out of my four runs this time around.

Looking forward to the Pixel Remaster. I hope it comes out before the end of August so that I can do a Fiesta run on it this summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Rosalie_A posted:

Are you using any other patches besides the translation? If so, do you happen to have a save file/save state from before this fight? I'm curious to figure out how this happened.

I should be able to get you a save state in the morning. Im running totally vanilla, minus the translation.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
There's absolutely some sort of underflow issue on W2 Exdeath with Old. Maybe it's SFC only like the Berserker Magic stat underflow, but I've had the same problem with Earth Shaker 2000 damage party wipes on prior runs. Without Old it'll do a much more sane 400-ish damage.

Modoh fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Summoner/Mystic Knight/Bard/Beastmaster means an easy triple crown.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Heres a savestate in front of the unopened chest that triggers the Gilgamesh fight.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vph0h4rexx4563v/ff5.001/file

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
note that savestates are not compatible between emulators, which can include different versions of the same emulator, and architectures. savefiles are identical because they just store the SRAM contents, not emulator state.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Run 1: Ninja, Berserker, Bard, Dancer

Nothing terrible here aside from needing to quadzerk the fire dobus. No biggie there. Once I unlocked Ninja and Bard it was a breeze - Equip Harps was enough magic power to make thrown scrolls an AOE nightmare for all comers. Probably my only run of the year, good luck all!

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Aerdan posted:

note that savestates are not compatible between emulators, which can include different versions of the same emulator, and architectures. savefiles are identical because they just store the SRAM contents, not emulator state.

That'd be the .srm file then, yeah?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Gray Stormy posted:

That'd be the .srm file then, yeah?

That or .sav, yes.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

That should be a winner

https://www.mediafire.com/file/phghqr4oytvno81/ff5.srm/file

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Princey posted:

I remembered a toxx like this last year so I took screenshots when this happened to me earlier:

One down, nine to go! Unless I missed some?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
how many hours are left in my run, about? Info: 2 berserker, ninja, black mage, world 2 and about to do 'GREAT FOREST OF MUA'.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
You could be done in 2-4 hours or it could be up to 8-10 more. Depends on your optionals!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You could pretty much skip the optional content of W3 with that team. You’d miss out on Flare, but you’ll deal more damage with rod-boosted -aga spells anyway. Only reason to do Fork Tower is for the Wonder Rod to Zerk Shinryu, and with two Zerkers playing the rezz game is a bit dicey, though doable.

I guess you may want to go to Great Sea Trench to buy axes or something too, but ehhhh.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the replies! I don't really care about beating everyone, just beating the game. What loadout should I aim for?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1402644546073288705

Adding a :toxx: for Exdeath's NED replacer feature. The floor's still open for submissions for that, by the way.
Oh look it's Yiazmat! (Stuck down in the corner.) My first run wasn't hard but I did get sidetracked for a while with other games.
https://twitter.com/NGDBSS/status/1415423861886234629
https://twitter.com/NGDBSS/status/1415424021416583170
https://twitter.com/NGDBSS/status/1415423933902430209

Mega64
May 23, 2008

redreader posted:

Thanks for the replies! I don't really care about beating everyone, just beating the game. What loadout should I aim for?

Once you get access to the legendary weapons Rune Axe is a must, after that is any two of the Magus Rod/Sasuke Katan/Assassin Dagger. Magus Rods combines all the rod boosts in one weapon and is thus nice convenience, Sasuke is a Ninja weapon with weapon block like the Main Gauche, and rear end Dagger can inflict instant death. Depends on whether you’re using the Twin Lance/Chicken Knife exploit, care about the rear end Dagger when you have Death Sickles, or don’t mind switching weapons on your Black Mage to boost different -aga spells (which shouldn’t matter anyway, I think the only Void boss with a weakness is Omega, and you’re better off skipping that fight anyway without insanely high levels).

Otherwise, hunt for Mirage Town once you have the ability to travel anywhere in the overworld in W3 and grab four (or three if you’re cheap, you can get a free pair in the final dungeon) Hermes Sandals. They’re expensive but very worth it. Maaaybe grab the Death and Osmose magic there too while you’re there. Get all that, whatever armor is the best, and the Magic Lamp and you’re set.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 14, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Gray Stormy posted:

I should be able to get you a save state in the morning. Im running totally vanilla, minus the translation.

so, guess what?

L2 Old makes Exdeath's Magic overflow. More specifically, I suspect that it's the Aging status combined with having zero Magic Power (yes, Exdeath has zero magic!), with the status checking if the stat is equal to one (which, as it happens, zero is not).

You might wonder how this hadn't been seen before, but it's a combination of a lot of factors to notice. For one, you need to be vulnerable to Aging status or have an even level to be hit by L2 Old (or Dark Shock nonsense). For two, you need to have a high enough level: you're not scoring a high magic multiplier off of 255 Magic when your level is only 3. For three, you need to have a high Attack magic spell: Thunder isn't pulling damage no matter the multiplier if you've got enough Magic Defense. Finally, you the enemy to actually use said Magic Attack.

Aging will drop Level and Magic to basically nothing in a pretty quick amount of time, at one point per battle tick. Put another way, if Exdeath opens with Condemn and you open with Level 2 Old, by the time his target dies he'll be down to level 36. If he were to do another Condemn, then by the time that target dies he'll be at level 6, and thus pulling an M of 8 (despite having 195 Magic): only twice what he started with, and in five more ticks he'll be back at an M of 4.

Exdeath only uses Earth Shaker on his fifth turn in a ten turn cycle, and only at a 2/3 chance. If you were to wait until after his fifth turn to L2 Old, by the time he next got a chance to Earth Shaker he'd likely be near level 1. The only other things in his first phase script that use Magic are Bio (single target) and L3 Flare (multitarget but level-based), and those are reflectable.

So...congrats. You've stumbled onto a bug that, as far as I can tell, has never been documented by anyone ever.

EDIT: I checked this on both the RPGe translation and an unpatched Japanese rom, by the way. No idea if this happens on the GBA version, but if someone wants to test have at it.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 14, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think they said they were getting 2k earthshakers even before Old though? I think that's still unexplained

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think they said they were getting 2k earthshakers even before Old though? I think that's still unexplained

Not quite. They were getting 2k Earth Shakers before they were told Level 2 Old would shut Exdeath down. This is easily explainable: they were using Level 2 Old anyway. Both the save state and the save file have all four characters with !Blue equipped, meaning it's likely they were throwing everything at Exdeath seeing what sticks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rosalie_A posted:

So...congrats. You've stumbled onto a bug that, as far as I can tell, has never been documented by anyone ever.

This loving game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As I said, it feels like a new bug is always discovered during each fiesta.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

oldskool posted:

One down, nine to go! Unless I missed some?

I was turtle shell grinding so when I was reminded of this, I made sure to get to 15 before doing the library.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Just finished my second run (White Mage-Summoner-Ninja-Dancer) and dear lord, Dancer is useless. I tried building my Dancer up as a Chicken Knife Sword Dance machine, but even with all three pieces of Dancer-exclusive equipment Sword Dance came out maybe one fourth of the time. In the final battle, it procced only once (the rest of the battle was Mystery Waltz, which did nothing). By the end I put Dancer Bartz on Elixir duty while my other characters actually did something useful.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You only need one dance boosting equipment for maximum sword dances, which is, to be fair, still only half the time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mega64 posted:

As I said, it feels like a new bug is always discovered during each fiesta.
And 2021's is now the Exdeath Underflow.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

girl dick energy posted:

And 2021's is now the Exdeath Underflow.

I am the 2021 Fiesta Bug Champion :v:

My team is back to streamrolling pretty much everything in W3. I *never* realized Bard and Blue were so useful.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, back to chem chat.

Garula was tedious, but trivial, flail + healing staff with everyone in the back row.

I got to karnak and realized that there were turtles there, for some reason I thought they were only on the other side of the wall. That certainly solves the problem of the karnak 500. Let's take a quick look at my options.

I did use a Lamia kiss on LiquiFlame but it and the next two bosses were pretty much three hit kills with succubus kiss, so not too much to say about that.

Now for the actual info that you actually need. You can't buy drinks on W1, so where do you get them?
There are 4 Gigas in the karnak 500, each drop 1 Goliath Tonic, so you can get 4.
Forza and Byblos both drop 1 drink each, power which is useless (unless you have !Blue, in which case you don't need it) and Iron Draft.
And of course, soon I will be getting some from the flamethrowers and missile launchers on the floating island. Flamethrowers drop Speed Shakes and Missile Launchers drop Iron Drafts.

But there's gotta be something you can grind in W1 without that right?
Right.
When you get the black chocobo first go to Jachol and pick up all the equipment you need.
Then go to Rix and pick up cheap items, especially maiden's kisses for obvious reasons. But also, in this case some gold needles.
Then head to IStory.

It's not as easy as it looks because these are both rare drops.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 16, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

It's not as easy as it looks because these are 'common' drops, but not 100% drops.

Not quite. There are 1/16 drops ("rare" drops) and Always drops ("common" drops). If an enemy has a rare drop you have a 1/16 chance of getting it. If they don't have one or they do and you roll the 15/16, you get the common drop.

Black Flames have a Speed Shake as a rare drop, and so each one you kill has a 1/16 chance to drop a Shake. If they had it at common instead, all you'd have to do is kill twenty of them for twenty Shakes. Sadly, you aren't so lucky.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Rosalie_A posted:

Not quite. There are 1/16 drops ("rare" drops) and Always drops ("common" drops). If an enemy has a rare drop you have a 1/16 chance of getting it. If they don't have one or they do and you roll the 15/16, you get the common drop.

Black Flames have a Speed Shake as a rare drop, and so each one you kill has a 1/16 chance to drop a Shake. If they had it at common instead, all you'd have to do is kill twenty of them for twenty Shakes. Sadly, you aren't so lucky.

Ah, the table I was viewing on caves of narshe was incorrect.
Both the hi-potions and the speed shakes are rare.

TheWonderTrickster
Aug 16, 2013

Jose Valasquez posted:

My broken brain is trying to figure out how to do this without the 2 extra levels on Faris.

I would either need to find a way to learn L5 Death at level 3 via level manipulation or find an alternative for all the L5 death kills.

Chemist could boost levels and then I could Dark Spark myself to get to a level divisible by 5, but I don't think I have a way to get Dragon Fangs without getting exp.
Bard can boost the levels but not until way too late.

I would also need to swap out Time for Summoner or Oracle to have enough MP prior to getting a Gold Hairpin.

Alternatively, without L5 death I would need different strats for:
  • Bridge Gilgamesh - 4 bears would probably do it?
  • Boat Gilgamesh - Aquathorn release
  • Atomos - 4x Lesser Lopros release
  • Exdeath - 4x Yellow Dragon release
  • Melusine - Sleep + lots of fire rods?
  • Calofisteri - Hermes Sandals + Bone Mail
  • Twintania - Swap L5 death with assassin's dagger

Hmmm... that looks doable...

I decided not to sleep and think about this a bit more.
But strictly speaking, you would need a Chemist, a Thief, and Summoner/Oracle in order to get and use Level 5 Death in W1 at 2/2/2/3 as far as I can see while typing this.
You already pointed out the high base magic needed and a Chemist for level manipulation asap.
Unless the spreadsheets in the discord infoposts are wrong specifically on these (and not on literally everything else I used in my Freelancer run somehow)-
Thieves can steal Dragon Fangs from Mini Dragons in Istory's forests.

I am trying to think what you can try to get dragon fangs without Thieves: you can kill Hydras in Ronka Ruins (assuming Doom can still allow drops)
I am still thinking about what the hell can you do to get Jackanapes earlier with Chemist but...

Drain MP? Lilith's Kiss has 45 Magic Power to Jackanapes' 50 Magic Defense- Final Edit because I really need to sleep: Would need Turtle Soups (Turtle shells requires you to kill things)... or Off Guard (Which you would have enough MP for) to pierce that magic defense so maybe. Problem now would be gil problems. But you did mention the w1 encounter to only get gil so...

Dark Ether seems to be doable (I'm seeing nothing to say Heavy shuts it down at this time) but you would only have... 1 Dark Matter by W1 (Thieves could steal another one from Byblos) and you could only get more by killing Prototypes and getting exp, so that's out.
HP Damage that can bypass Moonflute?- The Dark Matter mixes that can do Percentile HP obviously would get blocked by Heavy and as mentioned before- requires someone getting exp.

Else you would have to wait until W2 and dance at Regole/Gil Cave for buying Holy Waters since that's the earliest you can buy Holy Water for Samson's Might as your level manipulation modifier.

Edit: I almost thought of Blessed Kiss to bypass berserk immunity but that also requires holy water

TheWonderTrickster fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 16, 2021

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
You can get two Hero Cocktails in W1. One is a steal from Iron Claw, the other a drop from Archaeoavis. At level 2 or 3, two Hero Cocktails will take you to level 22 or 23, both of which Dark Spark to 11, which Dark Sparks to 5. Boom, you've got Level 5 Death in W1 at 2/2/2/3 levels.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Rosalie_A posted:

You can get two Hero Cocktails in W1. One is a steal from Iron Claw, the other a drop from Archaeoavis. At level 2 or 3, two Hero Cocktails will take you to level 22 or 23, both of which Dark Spark to 11, which Dark Sparks to 5. Boom, you've got Level 5 Death in W1 at 2/2/2/3 levels.

To be at 2/2/2/3 you have to skip Iron Claw. The cheese strat for Archaeoavis results in a Goliath Tonic instead of a Hero Cocktail, but there might be a different strat that can be done there

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

To be at 2/2/2/3 you have to skip Iron Claw. The cheese strat for Archaeoavis results in a Goliath Tonic instead of a Hero Cocktail, but there might be a different strat that can be done there

If there's a way to beat Archaeoavis at 2/2/2/3 and get the Hero Cocktail you could Dark Spark to level 1->Hero Cocktail to 11->Dark Spark to level 5

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Do you have to game the rng in karnak to avoid inescapable Sargent fights?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Do you have to game the rng in karnak to avoid inescapable Sargent fights?

the dogs are pretty weak and when they're all gone he runs. That being said the encounter rate in the escape is pretty low. To the point where I would be very surprised to see 3 Sergeant fights.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think I abused Quicksave to avoid encounters during that on my low level run

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm finally done! This is the second time I've played the Fiesta, and it was just as much fun as the first time. My team wasn't quite as busted as it was last year (breaking news: Blue Mage is good), but I still had an easy time of it. I played on SNES this time, which was fun for a change; the game really does look better on the SNES, I think, and I've always had clipping with the SNES music restoration patch on GBA. But I really missed dashing. (Also, my team comp meant the ghost targets on NED were pretty drat obnoxious!)

Samurai was about what I expected: A hardy class with decent damage, cool samurai swords and a few useful tricks. I can see how throwing money at problems could be useful, but I had enough other options that I didn't wind up using it much. I didn't farm for !Iainuki, so I only got it in the rift; it was useful for random encounters, but it was too late for bosses. And as always, any heavy armor class is great to have with good magic.

White Mage was extremely useful from start to finish. Well, not from start: it isn't hard to beat Garula with four white mages but it isn't exactly fun either. But after that, it served as the backbone of my party. To be honest, I think White Mage mainly just let me play the whole game way underleveled: the light warriors were still between level 28 and 29 when NED went down. It's very difficult to die when Shell and Protect are both up.

Actually, I had a lot of boss fights where I spent a few turns buffing the party, only for it to be obvious that I could have just killed the boss in the time it took to do so.

Time Mage is both wildly powerful and, more importantly, very stylish. I never got tired of turning the clock back so I wouldn't be back-attacked. Rods solve almost any problem in the first world, and more importantly, it's almost impossible to lose a fight getting four turns to the boss's one. And there's Comet, too, which does enough damage to make Time Mages pull their weight offensively, too. Plus, since the class really doesn't care about magic, it's fine to hold the Main Gauche or something for a little extra endurance. And Quick is a ridiculous final trick to have, albeit one that left me trying to mug Elixirs off Crystal Dragons.

I was very disappointed to learn you can't chain Quicks, so I had to cheese Omega the old-fashioned way.

Actually, there was something I've never heard anyone mention doing with Time Mage that I found very effective: Casting Old on Neo Exdeath! The Almagest was written 1800 years ago, so it's only appropriate, right? The hit chance on that part is around 10%, which isn't good but isn't that bad, either (especially considering you can Quick for an extra roll each turn). Fortunately, that part of NED doesn't have 0 magic, so I didn't get annihilated by a 5000-power Almagest like the poor bastard earlier. I think I would do it again, but I tend to slow and conservative strategies over quick and aggressive ones.

Ranger was also pretty handy! The top billing is Rapid Fire, but to be honest I didn't get that until quite late in the game. But even without Rapid Fire, Ranger provided weird utility with the bizarre status bows. Since bows bypass magic evasion when inflicting status effects, they're great against bosses. The Dark Bow is effective throughout the entire game, famously making a berserked Shinryu harmless, but it even works on Flexdeath in the final fight.

I've heard the legend of the Rapid Fire Chicken Knife, but if my Ranger was in the front row they died instantly, so I didn't find it that effective. I can see it being better at higher levels.

Actually, I tried to blind Crystal Dragons with the Dark Bow too, but unlike Shinryu they're immune.

Anyway, I'd be a real loser if I didn't even do my own toxx:

Oh, and this happened too.

I'll see you all next year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

yes

YES

:toxx: We Choose Violence
I pledge $1 for every FULL POWER BRAVE BLADE posted to the thread. Limit of $100
why did I do this on a run where I can’t use it and I could actually use the chicken knife? Idk but hell I have summoner and chemist so who cares