Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

I haven't played a Battlefield in a while but are vehicles still capped at 6 occupants? They should definitely double that for the 128 increase. Having APCs and transport craft with lots of people inside would rule.

It would also rule for getting a dodecakill with a single rocket :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Sounds good to me assuming goons actually play together. Because the two of you who added me on Origin recently for BF4 action, I haven't even seen online never mind playing :v:

Sorry I'll try and be online next couple days. Hope you like hardcore

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Rusty posted:

As for 2042, I think the bot thing is a bad idea. Like sure, let players play matches offline with bots, but why mix them in with the multiplayer mode? Who wants that?

its me, i want bots. Not only can I feel better about my shoddy KD by gunning down hapless AI, but it also makes the matches feel way more alive by having a full amount of players at all times. I hope the bots arent too distracting and overtake players PTFOing, but having background grunts that catch random sniper rounds or mortar shells while you push the point can really add to the whole battlefield chaotic vibe in a good way imo

also, given the skill level of random pubbies, im willing to bet ill get revived or resupplied more often by bots than by actual players

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Gonna be a great amount of toxicity when we can point to players who dont do as well as bots

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its me, i want bots. Not only can I feel better about my shoddy KD by gunning down hapless AI, but it also makes the matches feel way more alive by having a full amount of players at all times. I hope the bots arent too distracting and overtake players PTFOing, but having background grunts that catch random sniper rounds or mortar shells while you push the point can really add to the whole battlefield chaotic vibe in a good way imo

Yup. Give me Titanfall-style background grunts forever, thanks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Symetrique posted:

Gonna be a great amount of toxicity when we can point to players who dont do as well as bots

Mainly gonna save it for people poo poo-talking in all chat since you never know when someone's literally a kid...but boy howdy is that gonna feel great when ShitlordActual starts talking poo poo and we can point out that he'd literally be helping the team more as a bot.

Also for better or worse it likely will give the 40x scope crowd something to do of keeping an eye on regularly traveled paths. Let them be lazy PvE players.

Alehkhs posted:

Yup. Give me Titanfall-style background grunts forever, thanks.

Yeah, for every single bit I'm kinda-sorta hesitant on, the bots bit is something I'm looking forward to.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

You can't harvest pubbie tears from bots.

You need salt in your diet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chivalry 2 also added bots for basically the same purpose, and it works surprisingly well. It's pretty fun to throw yourself into a mob of those and just go wild tearing them apart. The key point there is that they're visually distinctive, so you can tell ahead of time whether you're dealing with chaff or an actual player threat.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Philman posted:

You can't harvest pubbie tears from bots.

You need salt in your diet.

Yes you can, you just need to remind the pubbies/goons that are doing worse than the bots

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Chivalry 2 also added bots for basically the same purpose, and it works surprisingly well. It's pretty fun to throw yourself into a mob of those and just go wild tearing them apart. The key point there is that they're visually distinctive, so you can tell ahead of time whether you're dealing with chaff or an actual player threat.

I wish it was possible to give myself a bot outfit for chiv2 :ninja:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lmao this fuckin thread is EXTREMELY WORRIED ABOUT BOTS

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just don't like playing against bots in a multiplayer game, but I'm sure it will be fine as long as the servers are full. In Pubg they give away your position to real players, in games like Titanfall they are just there to pad the numbers and are just fodder. I am certainly not worried, I just don't see what they add to a BF game.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Orv posted:

I actually really liked World War 3 for the five minutes it had a playerbase but lmao at how much they're just straight up jacking from 2042 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZAufZye5L8

Does anyone still play this? For what is worth, I thought it was decent game but never seem to gain a decent audience.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Does anyone still play this? For what is worth, I thought it was decent game but never seem to gain a decent audience.

It's been dead since like a month after launch but MyGames partnered with TheFarm51, the devs to rework the game and essentially rerelease it. Whether it actually finds an audience this time especially when it's staring down the barrel of 2042 is an open but probably inevitable question.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

SpartanIvy posted:

I haven't played a Battlefield in a while but are vehicles still capped at 6 occupants? They should definitely double that for the 128 increase. Having Killing APCs and transport craft with lots of people inside would rule.

Fixed that for you.

If they overpower the vehicles as much as in BF4 tankwhores like myself could have 2-300 kill games. What a wonderful time at the end of all things.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rusty posted:

I just don't see what they add to a BF game.

at the end of the day BF games are really about spectacle and battlefield moments(tm) and having more bodies to shoot keeps the overall scale of everything higher

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Sounds good to me assuming goons actually play together. Because the two of you who added me on Origin recently for BF4 action, I haven't even seen online never mind playing :v:

Guess the shoe's on the other motherfucking foot now isn't it PUNK

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

also, given the skill level of random pubbies, im willing to bet ill get revived or resupplied more often by bots than by actual players

I don't think bots will give kill xp or even +1 to your kd. While I don't care personally I don't think dice will do that because people will just grind on bots only server to unlock everything.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

afkmacro posted:

I don't think bots will give kill xp or even +1 to your kd. While I don't care personally I don't think dice will do that because people will just grind on bots only server to unlock everything.

They have said you can do this, I thought? Maybe I misheard though.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
yep they said you can unlock everything completely solo if you want

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

afkmacro posted:

They have to I think. I seem to recall them saying playing solo against bots counted towards progression.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think it's pretty likely they'll count towards progression at a reduced rate compared to player kills

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

How did Titanfall 2 do it with their bots?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

How did Titanfall 2 do it with their bots?
They were basically generic AI foot-soldiers without any of your special equipment or skills, who'd run around ineffectively fighting enemies, engaging in scripted events to look interesting and basically acting as cannon fodder, offering only a small amount of XP when killed.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Titanfall "bots" were not meant to be stand-ins for players. They were a resource you would farm to get your titan and its main ability. Players are idiots so they never understood this and cried about the devs putting bots in. tbh players being incredibly stupid has a lot to do with that series failing.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
In Titanfall 2, bots acted like creeps in DOTA or League. As someone else pointed out, the bots in 2042 seem more like Chivalry 2 bots. Something a little more capable to fill out the server until more players come in. I think it's great. I wonder if they will join squads or give you some way to tell a bot too jump in the gunner seat of your tank. It'll be kind the NPCs in Halo hopping in your Warthog.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If they use the self-learning AI model they trained on BF1, they'll almost universally be more handy to have on your team than probably 50% of pubbies.

The AI learned quickly that capturing and defending points was good for game outcomes. After almost 19 years of Battlefield, pubbies *still* can't manage that half the time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Looking forward to all the :dice: glitches with bots involved. Who knows what wacky hijinks we will get to experience.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Personally I'm more worried about the rocket launchers than bots: people will basically play the BF5 assault by default, outside of novelty or unlocking. Unless dice finds a very compelling reason, there will be few medics or support players, and you will have even more explosive spam than before. And if vehicles are weak like in BF5, they will sit back sniping instead of pushing the objective.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The only way they could counter that is you only get one rocket on spawn. Still OP if 80% of a team has a launcher though.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I doubt that vehicles will be weak.

Remember, vehicles have infinite ammo again, and we got attack choppers.

It's almost impossible to make those weak unless you need an entire mag to kill infantry or something.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RCarr posted:

Looking forward to all the :dice: glitches with bots involved. Who knows what wacky hijinks we will get to experience.

We are all going to be hunted down by unkillable T-posing bots that fly.

Not unlike the android lady in HBO’s Raised By Wolves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RK-WH3y00g

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Honestly I’m just happy they aren’t doing a Battle Royale. Not every game needs to be Battle Royale. Just stick to what you’re good at.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RCarr posted:

Honestly I’m just happy they aren’t doing a Battle Royale. Not every game needs to be Battle Royale. Just stick to what you’re good at.

They probably wanted to. Badly. But EA doesn’t want to compete against itself with a Battlefield BR that is as good, if not better, than Apex Legends, which is their magic cash cow for the last two years.

Firestorm was good on paper, but was executed poorly. It also didn’t help that it took the average player between 8-12 minutes to hop into a server and start playing.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

DrBox posted:

In Titanfall 2, bots acted like creeps in DOTA or League.

It's this. Bots were in the Attrition multiplayer mode and would spawn on a timer and then run on a designated path towards a marker near the middle of the map. Once they got there, they would shoot at players and other bots with like 1% accuracy. Titanfall 2 had extremely small maps because it was 6v6. It might have had bigger game modes, but everyone just played attrition.

Attrition was a race to 650 points. Killing a bot would award 1 point and killing a player would award 10. Bots existed for easy point farming.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Kazinsal posted:

If they use the self-learning AI model they trained on BF1, they'll almost universally be more handy to have on your team than probably 50% of pubbies.

The AI learned quickly that capturing and defending points was good for game outcomes. After almost 19 years of Battlefield, pubbies *still* can't manage that half the time.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/22/17150918/ea-dice-seed-battlefield-1-ai-shooter

quote:

“They won’t be in the next Battlefield because that’s not very far away, but probably the one after that — as a hybrid of classical AI and neural networks,” he says.

That was before the release of BF5, so seems like it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hello, I'm the player that won't give up my ammo pack, even if :dice: gives me a tactical nuke on demand. Top resupplies every round, on every Battlefield game.

Always more DAKKA.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I'm a support main in BF4, because infinite C4 is fun and good

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I was also curious about that. Seems likely there will be multiple "classes" of vehicles that can hold varying amounts of people.

I'm sure Dice will let you choose between carrying people, or having a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

If I remember right, Battlefront 2 bots in coop gave you the same weapons XP/attachment unlocks as shooting regular players but not overall rank. That works a lot better and hopefully it’s similar for 2042.