Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Alan Smithee posted:

Do the Wrong Thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

what if instead of having fake money that fluctuates wildly in value we just had postal banking to address the amount of people that are unbanked Spike. you loving bitch rear end

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

yes the people who own all the money is going to sit, powerless, as we trade e-pogs instead. that is what fixes centuries of social inequities

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
To this day I don't understand what banked means in terms of bitcoins, and why people who are unbanked now would be able to get banked with bitcoin. To get any bits and pay with them, by definition, you need internet access. Like, the ad is for an online bits service. Right now, on the internet, I can bank myself by getting a virtual visa card for free. How is bitcoin more functional or more accessible than that exactly?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
something something MEN WITH GUNS something something CAGE something something AGE OF CONSENT

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Paladinus posted:

To this day I don't understand what banked means in terms of bitcoins, and why people who are unbanked now would be able to get banked with bitcoin. To get any bits and pay with them, by definition, you need internet access. Like, the ad is for an online bits service. Right now, on the internet, I can bank myself by getting a virtual visa card for free. How is bitcoin more functional or more accessible than that exactly?

well you see "legacy banks" are shackled by things like 'federal regulations requiring basic customer identification' and 'having to report suspicious activity' whereas with Bitcoin you can "be your own bank" in that you can just crime unfettered*

(Actually a public ledger with a static wallet address means you can be traced easily. See: Ulbricht, Ross.)

also the ACH system allows for fraud reversals which has always made the worst people mad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think bitcoiners consider "banked" to mean "has a savings account" and not like, "has access to inexpensive credit and investment and other banking services" so obviously the problem is unbanked people don't have a place to put their savings, so all we need to do to solve wealth inequality is make it so poor people can put virtual money in their virtual piggybank and then if they're still not rich its a moral failing on their part and can be safely ignored

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

FAUXTON posted:

whereas with Bitcoin you can "be your own bank" in that you can just crime unfettered*

and also get crimed!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

look man the first amendment guarantees me freedom of crime okay

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KnifeWrench posted:

and also get crimed!

Yeah that's the best part, they crime each other and run to substack or twitter or wherever to whine about it and then everyone gets to see how loving stupid the entire scam was

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

KnifeWrench posted:

and also git crimed!

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

njsykora posted:

what was the last thing spike lee did that was any good? the last thing I remember him ‘doing’ was that one nba game story mode

da 5 bloods was p good

edit: blackkklansman was v good

DaTroof fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 15, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Blackcoinsman

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

coin.spike.ly 🚀

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

im on the net me boys posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the point of CBDCs are or how they materially impact the financial system at all. The dollars in my bank account are numbers on a spreadsheet so that's digital enough to me

they don't do a loving thing an end user needs. It's bankers falling for blockchain bullshit and worrying that someone more competent than the Facebook bitcoin bros will try doing one.

A short history of central bank digital currencies:

CENTRAL BANK RESEARCHERS: what if Bitcoin, but ... ... ... central bank? (write papers)
FACEBOOK: Libra!
EVERY REGULATOR IN THE WORLD: what the arsing gently caress, LOL, no and hell no
PEOPLE'S BANK OF CHINA: (sees Libra) oh poo poo (deploy previous papers)
US FED: (sees PBOC) oh poo poo (write more papers)
OTHER CENTRAL BANKS: (write more papers)
EVERYONE: do you have a ... use case for a CBDC?
BUREAUCRATS: the Eye of Sauron, but for your money oops, did we say that out loud?
CENTRAL BANKS, INCLUDING PBOC AND FED: First, assume we have a use case. Here’s how you deploy a spherical cow.
FACEBOOK: Diem?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Paladinus posted:

It can be quite difficult to provide proof of address if you are homeless. Or being undocumented can make telling officials who you are and where you come from undesirable. A lot of banks also have a fee structure that makes them untenable if you have below a certain income.

An Internet based currency which publicly lists all your transactions and charges highly randomised transaction fees will solve all these problems.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I think the idea might be that crypto wallets require much less hassle to start because they require no documentation or minimum deposit like a bank account would. but if you’re using a crypto atm in the us there are definitely going to be kyc rules anyway so

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

what was the last thing spike lee did that was any good? the last thing I remember him ‘doing’ was that one nba game story mode
lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

He Got Gamed

She's Gotta Have It (A Prenup)

Inside Man (is the only one making money)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mellow Affinity posted:

The year is 2065. You wake up the sound of an Amazon Audiobook ad blaring at twice the volume of a jet engine. Your ears ringing, you pick up your disposable Amazon Echo and smash it on the ground. You'll have to get another one before you come back home. Getting up and rubbing your eyes, you head over to your wardrobe to don your one-time use clothes. You're glad you got such a good deal on your clothes subscription. You head downstairs and go down into the kitchem. You pay 0.000000000225 Bitcoin to ToastCorp to unlock a one-day use of the toaster. You would get the five-day use, as it's a better deal, but you're on a budget right now. You watch as it pops up cocaine-infused toast with Coca-Cola ads burned into it. You then pay 251,255,619,051,585,151 Doge to pour a glass of Basic Plan Tier 1 Sugar Water, a steal. While you eat breakfast, you look at the Disney Weather Channel. More nuclear fallout from the east, Burger King's CEO is using his recreational nukes again. The temperature outside is 150 fahrenheit. You're glad that humans don't contribute to climate change or that would be even higher. As you're about to finish your luxurious breakfast, you start to hear a voice counting down from 60, and machine turrets deploy from your walls. You're spending too long eating breakfast, and Amazon's analytics has determined that you could use some encouragement. Swiftly jumping up from your seat, you grab your self-defence assault rifle and head out the door. After checking for belligerents, you walk to your Ford Armoured Personnel Transport Vehicle 'Explorer'. You pay a measily 0.0000000000000152 etherium to start the engine, then the autopilot takes over. Luckily this vehicle doesn't have a steering wheel, you know that humans are too dumb to transport themselves. You only get into two car crashes on your journey, your car expertly dodges the self-defence turret fire after you damage their private property. You speed down the Proctor & Gamble 20-lane elevated tollways, 125,251 binance is automatically taken from your wallet. It takes you five hours to get from the suburbs to downtown. You can't believe people actually used to live in cities, what peasants. You finally get to the Amazon Grocery Store, and your car drops you off in the two-mile wide mega-capacity parking lot. You remind yourself that the parking lot has to be that big for black fridays, then you give the car a 0.00000001 Dogecoin tip as you get out. As you walk in the door, alarms begin to blare. Machine gun turrets deploy from the walls as you freeze in place. You realise you forgot to smile as you entered. Employees are required to always smile by contract. Then, the worst happens. Your disposable clothes begin to fall apart at the seams. You forgot to check the best-by date, and they are expiring faster than you expected. Fully naked, you try to run away, but the guns fill your body with thousands of bullets. As you die laying down on the pavement, your wallet is extracted of all of its coin by desperate bystanders. Your final dying breath is "At least I don't have to pay taxes", before everything goes black.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/moltisantithots/status/1385626589082292227

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i know you're in the UK and all so you might not understand that this minus the cryptocurrencies is p much what it's like to be an american already

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

im on the net me boys posted:

I'm honestly not sure what the point of CBDCs are or how they materially impact the financial system at all. The dollars in my bank account are numbers on a spreadsheet so that's digital enough to me

they are sometimes taken as a requirement for central banks offering retail deposits (although i'm fairly certain the CB could just set up a normal bank and offer them through that), so that things like QE can occur via direct deposits in consumer accounts, rather than via buying loads of bonds/checks in the mail. In theory they could also offer a 0 customer service thing where you get the same interest rate that big financial institutions get, which is unexciting right now in europe where that would be negative, but could be nice in other times/places, and would probably be an interesting additional tool in the CB's box.

none of this requires bitcoin, in fact it's utility would be actively hampered by doing it with bitcoin.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

this reminds me of ubik where everything's coin operated and the guy can't even afford to open his own door

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

HappyHippo posted:

this reminds me of ubik where everything's coin operated and the guy can't even afford to open his own door

ubik was a documentary

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AXE/status/1415726021588967426

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

fitting for their target market

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

that N :pwn:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

"poo poo, it's not big enough"
"use a bigger font?"
"nah, I like this height"
"change the kerning?"
"no, that looks weird"
"I guess just stretch it to fit the space"
"oh, good idea. that looks great. *post*"
"the whole word, not just the N!"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
we can't find a good N! just use a sideways Z, no one will know the difference

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

njsykora posted:

fitting for their target market

Their demo dont need deodorant because they don’t go anywhere or care how they smell

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

more businesses talking about doge than Bitcoin right now. betting that has fans of Satoshi's True Heir pissed off

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dogecant

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
it rhymes with ocean

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I mean, bitcoin is just a meme, too. stands to reason it couldn't compete with something that actually has cultural capital

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SubG posted:

the dollar going "fully digital" is good news for bitcoin because these days physical dollars are only ever used for tipping, drug deals, gambling, and evading currency controls, and so eliminating physical dollars eliminates competition in all of bitcoin's use cases

Tipping gets cut out during the shift over

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I've been in bitcoin since 2013 and I'm accumulating all the time. I am a libertarian. I am raised in the works of Mises, Rothbard, and other members of the Austrian School of Economics. My question is as follows.

Does it make sense at the moment to emigrate to El Salvador and invest your bitcoins in local infrastructure development? I am a network engineer and unix / linux administrator. I have always dreamed of having my own ISP company, preferably in combination with a cryptocurrency mine.

I currently live in Europe and in relation to Agenda2030 it is very difficult for a person with views of freedom to live here. Not economically but I feel that this is no longer my place on earth. The 2030 Agenda sounds as beautiful as Marx's communist manifesto. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the implementation of this will look exactly like in Soviet Russia. That is why I believe that Europe, or at least the European Union, is a worse and worse place to live for libertarians.

Is El Salvador a good place to live for a person like me?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

source you are quotes