Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

The best tech channel on youtube just uploaded a new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmcZsQXOKEA

This guy's videos are exquisite. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Holy poo poo I lost it at the motherfuckerboard

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Newest GN news video teased that they're going to do a review of the somewhat infamous Alienware Aurora and I can't wait for that.

Also big fan of this image.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 27, 2021

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty disappointing video by Linus where he concludes that cheap ebay intel cpus are are new cpus manufactured by intel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcGebjgM_k .
Meanwhile 10 months ago, level1techs covered a xeon by the same seller thats a retired cpu from amazon and refurbished by intel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZMAIOBXp9E

Seems pretty obvious to me these i9 Skylake processors are also made from these retired Xeon Skylake since they use the same die.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Ah this is the same guy who made the "real" Bitchin' Fast 3D from Maximum PC which will forever remain the largest real fake videocard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmCEXbspWuI

lol at 256mb of ram being an absurd number at the time

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Why is Don Francisco hawking GPus without g-cup tittied chicas?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3GKe7eXbPE

DIY Perks is powering up ... this is such a sick build.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Linus's grandpa died. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

well why not posted:

This is incredibly cool. Thanks for sharing

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

well why not posted:

I continue to feel that the concept is like, "Neat! 📸" but not particularly amazing. With that much volume you could do a whole bunch of other things that would be super quiet or dead silent. For example using normal fans and an insulated baffle box. Probably you could make the drat thing passive by using a full-size hot water radiator.

But the bit where he finds out his magnet & acrylic tube were a miraculous 1-in-1000 match, and then adds microns of electroplate nickel to make the magnet fit a new tube? That was dang clever.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Klyith posted:

I continue to feel that the concept is like, "Neat! 📸" but not particularly amazing. With that much volume you could do a whole bunch of other things that would be super quiet or dead silent. For example using normal fans and an insulated baffle box. Probably you could make the drat thing passive by using a full-size hot water radiator.

ltt did this as a joke once and i legit no fooling would give it a go. i have electric heating and as such already use the waste heat from my rig (since it's exactly as efficient) in winter time. i would love to see someone take serious the idea "how big does a reservoir/radiator need to be before cooling can be done entirely passively" because i strongly suspect that value is lower than you'd think.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Klyith posted:

I continue to feel that the concept is like, "Neat! 📸" but not particularly amazing.

Same, I'm not even 100% sure that it's going to be that quiet as the little integrated pump and CPU block is right next to the radiator and the sound can just waft straight out the top of the box.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

LTT passive ground loop cooled monster PC when

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The point isn't for it to be useful, but for it to be interesting. And it succeeds at that, I think. It's neat.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's clearly a prototype, the guy made it in his studio as an experiment. I think the real value in his content is in how neat and well-made his projects are, even if they're not always as practical as you'd like for real-world use. If he was left to iterate on this concept for a few years I'm sure it'd drop in size and become more efficient.

I think it's really unfair to expect something that was basically just invented to be as good as what the industry spends millions on R&D on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

well why not posted:

I think the real value in his content is in how neat and well-made his projects are, even if they're not always as practical as you'd like for real-world use.
I definitely think it was a cool and unique project, however impractical. As I say, "Neat!"

This channel has come up before, and he's done some really cool *and* practical stuff (laptops into attractive HTPCs), but also some not-so-cool stuff that has major design-over-engineering flaws (pc inside desk).

Doing things the hard way is fun youtube content. That's why I was impressed by his magnet ordeal. But to me, doing things the hard way by being intentionally stupid means you lose points. That's why I don't watch LTT's eternal quest to break expensive poo poo. The desk PC was a bunch of solutions to intentionally stupid problems, all because adding 20mm more clearance would have made it too easy for good content.

Nothing about this project was intentionally stupid other than the base challenge "build good PC cooling without fans", which makes it a-ok.

well why not posted:

If he was left to iterate on this concept for a few years I'm sure it'd drop in size and become more efficient.

I think it's really unfair to expect something that was basically just invented to be as good as what the industry spends millions on R&D on.

This OTOH, is where you lose me. No, it would not be any better if you iterated on it.

If you made it smaller, the bellows plate would have to move back and forth far more rapidly to push the same volume of air, which would have many challenges for both noise and the drive system. Making it more efficient, without direct motors or other things he rejected in the first video because they were noisy, also seems very unlikely. There is a reason that bellows are used nowhere in the modern world, and that is because they suck at blowing compared to fans.

And so my mild criticism mostly comes because at the end of the vid he went further than "wow it works!" and started to say "no, this is actually really good if you ignore the size!". Nah. A giant box with baffled fans would easily equal it.

(Also, IMO the extra space & effort to make the one-way valve louver system was a snare and a delusion. I'm 100% positive the thing would work equally well directly attached to a radiator, drawing air back and forth. Watercooling rads care about CFM through the fins more than anything else, the part where only one direction draws room-temp air is totally superfluous.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GruntyThrst posted:

LTT passive ground loop cooled monster PC when

Someone on OCAU was building a new house and so sunk a cooling loop into his slab.

I never saw a follow-up thread where he used it so I bet not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1412396253720289284

I guess all those rumors about a DLSS-equipped Switch didn't pan out?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Those were always unbelievable.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Switch Pro is the Bloodborne PC Port of Nintendo rumours. It's never going to happen but people will let themselves be taken in every year. Like yeah sure this time the company that's never competed on raw power is going to be using top of the line tech to fragment its massively successful console. They're probably only using an OLED here because those are getting cheap enough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
re: The bellows things.

IDK, you could hear the water pump running and valves switching, and those baffles will never be silent. It'd probably be quieter to have an array of A12x25's running at low but constant speed, creating a similar air current.

The magnet-coupled motion system for the bellows was interesting, that's about it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Those were always unbelievable.

It's not unbelievable when nvidia was openly posting job listings to work on DLSS for "gaming consoles" lmao (they only build SoCs for one console).

I believe the rumors were true but Nintendo backed down due to the current chip production situation. They decided they couldn't build enough of the switch pros, nor could they reach a price point they were happy with, and decided to only go with the OLED screen.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's not unbelievable when nvidia was openly posting job listings to work on DLSS for "gaming consoles" lmao (they only build SoCs for one console).

I believe the rumors were true but Nintendo backed down due to the current chip production situation. They decided they couldn't build enough of the switch pros, nor could they reach a price point they were happy with, and decided to only go with the OLED screen.

It was an entirely unbelievable rumor given the current limitations of the technology in terms of resolution and its silicon budget.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 6, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, dude

edit: since you've edited your post:

Fame Douglas posted:

It was an entirely unbelievable rumor given the current limitations of the technology in terms of resolution and its silicon budget.

Nvidia is has added tensor cores to their Tegra line to make them DLSS capable. The current switch chip can't just have DLSS bolted onto it, but if they were to upgrade to a newer tegra (or maybe a custom cut-down version of one to reduce tdp), then DLSS is not entirely unrealistic. If Nintendo is sticking with Nvidia, then it's clear that this is where their future together is headed whenever they do their next new hardware launch. It's just a matter of when that launch is. My hunch is that it was supposed to happen soon-ish, hence the rumors, but the launch was pushed back due to market conditions. I'm not sure what's so implausible about this.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 6, 2021

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
There isn't anything that unbelievable about DLSS coming to a new version of the Switch if they were going to cut new silicon for it. I'm not sure that there are any real hardware or software requirements that would necessarily exclude that reality.

Now, where they would get the fab time is an interesting question, but I doubt that some Tegra X1++ would be on 7/5nm.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Unsurprisingly it was the firmware dataminers who called it - they found this new model (codename Aula) in the FW over a year ago and determined it had an OLED screen and a new dock, but the same Tegra X1+ and 4GB RAM as the previous model.

The only thing they got wrong was thinking it would have 4k output capability, but IIRC that was justified in that they found references to a new video converter chip that supports 4k. Nintendo probably just chose that chip because it was cheap without any intention of actually putting 4k through it.

(probably wise considering the X1+ couldn't do a whole lot at 4k besides video streaming, which the Switch still doesn't do for some reason)

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 7, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

repiv posted:

(probably wise considering the X1+ couldn't do a whole lot at 4k besides video streaming, which the Switch still doesn't do for some reason)

Potentially an option for the games being released on Switch as streaming games, which seem to be increasing in number. Also Youtube.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

linus' new house (it's clearly a mansion but he's trying to be modest) is going to be watercooled.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

well why not posted:

linus' new house (it's clearly a mansion but he's trying to be modest) is going to be watercooled.

he's worked out he can get a ton of free home tech from a million companies desperate for the exposure and offset the cost with a bunch of videos, lmao. it's nice he's extending it to some of his staff with the home makeover content but still. a few years from now that part of BC will be riddled with the shells of linus's content driven renovations with a million different non-compatible house automation standards in his wake.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Previous owners always suck but Linus....yikes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's a lot of holes in his old house, but he did add the car charger, cable conduits, and a/c - those are definite upgrades. I'd say it's probably better than when he left it.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

well why not posted:

There's a lot of holes in his old house, but he did add the car charger, cable conduits, and a/c - those are definite upgrades. I'd say it's probably better than when he left it.

Is the AC multiple mini splits in the attic shoehorned onto too small of electrical service or did he reconsider that and do something different in a follow up?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Not sure, his electrician buddy was up there doing stuff last I saw. I don’t really know how important AC is in Canada, I’m Australian so it’s hard to take seriously.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

buffbus posted:

Is the AC multiple mini splits in the attic shoehorned onto too small of electrical service or did he reconsider that and do something different in a follow up?

I don't recall that happening. When did he say his electrical service is inadequate?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It was like 4 cassette units and one external condenser, I doubt a house the size of his didn't have a power supply beefy enough for it.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
Just looked it back up. He had to disconnect his baseboards which should be fine in cooling months even if a pita to manage. He also had to switch to a gas range/oven though which I think qualifies as shoehorning.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Okay but a gas range is objectively better than resistive heating elements, I'd count that as a win regardless of why he got there

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Okay but a gas range is objectively better than resistive heating elements, I'd count that as a win regardless of why he got there

Induction stoves are the best of both worlds: Easy to clean, and quick temperature response. And electric ovens are always superior.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Can you roast marshmallows on an induction stovetop

E: induction is way better though yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

buffbus posted:

Just looked it back up. He had to disconnect his baseboards which should be fine in cooling months even if a pita to manage. He also had to switch to a gas range/oven though which I think qualifies as shoehorning.

Why would it be a PITA to manage? Heat pumps are way more efficient anyway.