Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah

it could very well be the greatest story ever told, but as long as it has moon over june level off-putting art it's unreadable

If Thorsby's art, as rough and amateurish as it is, looks like moon over june then you need to go to an ophthalmologist right now because something is terribly wrong with your eyes.

And/or turn on your monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Thorsby’s work is like a litmus test for shallow people. The art and presentation aren’t great, but they’re absolutely worth reading

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kit Walker posted:

Thorsby’s work is like a litmus test for shallow people. The art and presentation aren’t great, but they’re absolutely worth reading

I've read all the ones that have been posted so far and they've been extremely uninteresting. I'm not really sold on reading more

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Grumio posted:

I'm happy for y'all but I feel physical revulsion trying to read HfD

It's the same for me. And I actually like comics with stupid art. I read through the whole of It hurts! and Tails get trolled and had no problem with the art. But there's something about HfD that makes me feel as if I was looking at unflushed turd. It's something about the style, not the execution. The art is not bad, it's just ugly.

Despite that I still tried to read, including what was posted in this thread, it and it wasn't really interesting enough to justify looking at it. I would honestly prefer somebody posting all of Moon over June over this abomination, because the former is at least amusing (in how bad it is).

Captain Jesus has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Jul 15, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

some plague rats posted:

I've read all the ones that have been posted so far and they've been extremely uninteresting.
I'll keep reading them as long as they keep getting posted, but yeah. Still waiting for this amazing story that totally makes up for the terrible art. :shrug:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it gets good once they leave the pound

e: wrong comic

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I giggled at that exertion fart in the first panel

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

Thorsby has some problems with art, character motivations and dialogue, but he's extremely good at setting up a long-term plot and making something happen in each comic. If you can get over the issues, the good parts are very good.

So once you get past him being bad at anything you might enjoy in a comic, he's really good?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

curse those shallow people, always judging visual media by its looks :arghfist::lofty:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
it's like they always say, you can't judge a painting by its qualities as a painting

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Sunswipe posted:

So once you get past him being bad at anything you might enjoy in a comic, he's really good?

It must be one of those pure irony things where people like it explicitly because it sucks?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It must be one of those pure irony things where people like it explicitly because it sucks?

No. I like it because it's very good.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Thorsby.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ah we've reached the part of the PYF comics thread where people lose all ability to understand other people can like stuff they don't without it bieng some sort of troll or psy-op.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

the holy poopacy posted:

curse those shallow people, always judging visual media by its looks :arghfist::lofty:

You’re free to rob yourself of interesting experiences because of your kneejerk reaction to their appearance. It’s no skin off my back

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
All the pro Thorsby posters are clearly receiving bribes from the Danish ministry of culture.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'd be fine with Thorsby's art if it was either ugly or amateur, but its a very special combination of an amateur trying to replicate an ugly art style. I'm reading them, but all I'm seeing is forced whimsy and the writing of someone who thinks the D&D Monster Manual is literature. In other words, this ironic appreciation thing is a waste of everyone's time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

I'd be fine with Thorsby's art if it was either ugly or amateur, but its a very special combination of an amateur trying to replicate an ugly art style. I'm reading them, but all I'm seeing is forced whimsy and the writing of someone who thinks the D&D Monster Manual is literature. In other words, this ironic appreciation thing is a waste of everyone's time.

It's not ironic. It's actually good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I unironically like almost every Thorsby comic.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Arrhythmia posted:

It's not ironic. It's actually good.

Sure, like how watching The Room and drinking PBR is good.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I just really like Fusk & Vorte.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I know that there have been plenty of badly drawn comics that goons only like ironically, like Gamer Dilbert or That One Twitter Comic About The Guy Who Was Betty Boop's Husband*. I also realize that claims of sincerity are often used insincerely, as part of the joke. "This but unironically", etc. I'm not doing any of that right now. Thorsby is a legitimately good writer. Not "good considering how bad the art is" or "good for a webcomic", he is actually, for real, very good at writing interesting and entertaining stories.

My recommendation for people who are skeptical is Lies, Sisters, and Wives, a very short (34 page) self-contained comic by Thorsby. Even if it's not to your tastes, I think it shows off his strengths pretty well.

*Yes, the line is blurry between "I ironically enjoy this bad comic" and "I sincerely enjoy this ironic comic, where part of the joke is how bad it is". The point is that Thorsby's comics are neither, please don't argue about many levels of irony you were on when you laughed at the betty boop comic.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

You’re free to rob yourself of interesting experiences because of your kneejerk reaction to their appearance. It’s no skin off my back

a kneejerk reaction formed from a scant reading of a couple thousand pages or so

I read all of Thorsby's comics and enjoyed them in their own way but I'm going to call them what they are

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

"I don't like <thing> so anyone who does must be enjoying it ironically"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The basic problem with the art in Hitmen for Destiny is that it seems like Thorsby starts out trying to draw nearly everything by hand with a computer mouse, and as a result tons of things that should be straight lines or smooth curves end up as wonky wobbly messes, including character faces, expressions, everyday objects, houses, etc.

This is something that gets better over the course of the comic and is vastly improved in everything he made after Hitmen, which was his first comic.

Take, for instance, the contrast between these two drawing of a person holding a rifle while standing in a window. This is from the first Hitmen comic:

This is from the last Hitmen comic (carefully cropped to avoid spoilers):

The second still won't win any art awards, but it does look immeasurably better than the first, and that's just something I pulled from the first/last comic. There's tons of other comparisons that show the art improving over time.

Thorsby's art never gets good, but it changes from being legitimately off-putting at the beginning of Hitmen to being functional to communicate the story, especially in his other comics made after Hitmen. I understand where people are coming from saying they find it too ugly to get into, but in my personal opinion that no one else is required to share I think they're missing out because the writing is worth it.

vyelkin has a new favorite as of 14:50 on Jul 15, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Slimy Hog posted:

"I don't like <thing> so anyone who does must be enjoying it ironically"

I mean, when it's that ugly and TV-tropey, it's a reasonable assumption. But I'll keep any further doubts to myself, keep reading and maybe I'll be won over. That one he did about the cheater and the divorce he did had "never interacted with an actual human before" energy too, but I guess it was it engaging.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It must be nice to be that cool.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm cool, and I read thorsby comics

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

thorsbys good and his art has gotten better so like or dislike whatever you want but I wouldn't skip at least giving his comics a read if you haven't yet, its well worth it

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'm just enjoying the jerkass professor.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The miracle of thorsby is that his comics are at least 70 percent :biotruths: by volume but manage to not be insanely evil

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Hitmen for Destiny #18: Humming Snatcher

=================

Hitmen for Destiny #19: Excursion

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I love how quickly the situation in Lostclock's class goes from fine to kinda bad to utterly hosed.

Also that woman who gets killed by the octospider seems to have somehow come back to life.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Whybird posted:

I love how quickly the situation in Lostclock's class goes from fine to kinda bad to utterly hosed.

Also that woman who gets killed by the octospider seems to have somehow come back to life.

Yeah it gives me the impression that monster college is a pretty risky situation. I wonder what the draw even is, like do you make fat stacks by consulting with monster hunters or something? Actually that seems plausible

The woman who was killed by the octospider didn't have a mole, the surviving lady with short black hair is a different student who has a mole. There's also a second student with short black hair who has survived, who we'll get to meet soon!

e: also I wanna be this guy

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Jul 15, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

We've reached the true beginning of the portal insanity, and this is the sequence that, for me personally, was the "it gets good, trust me" moment.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That blue guy's got a nice butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Philippe posted:

That blue guy's got a nice butt

Yeah I just noticed that when I reposted it lol, guess we know where Thorsby stands on the Big Question :yosbutt: