Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3dJb4TZNQE

Seems to have some screenshots (mockups) we haven't seen yet along with new details.

All the images capped here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-monthly-update-1-july.1483005/

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

It's interesting how Peasants and Farmers are distinct pop types here

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Didn't they already say that Peasants are basically Serfs at some point? Presumably then Farmers are 'free' employed farmers.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Takanago posted:

It's interesting how Peasants and Farmers are distinct pop types here

I believe it was written in an earlier diary that peasants represent people in subsistence agriculture and that a big part of the game is moving them to more productive jobs over time. Farmer probably represents a higher efficiency form of agriculture.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finally, the pie charts return.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

AnoHito posted:

I like how Aristocrats are barely visible on the population graph but they're the 2nd biggest chunk on the political strength graph

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I am so desperate for the pie charts and trains please just make it early access now

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
drat, lots of cool screenshots.

I'm looking forward to when they explain the buy orders / sell orders thing. The positive and negative balance makes sense in the context of a single market, but when and how do other markets fit in? (maybe trade routes are gonna impose pretty strict limits on how goods move between markets as a way of stopping constant global economy crashing shenanigans)

Also what do urban centres actually do? They appear with urbanisation and employ shopkeepers, but are they just an extra tax income? Do they produce something? Would be cool if they increased political engagement.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

fuf posted:

Also what do urban centres actually do? They appear with urbanisation and employ shopkeepers, but are they just an extra tax income? Do they produce something? Would be cool if they increased political engagement.
The Buildings diary says:

quote:

Another special type of building is Urban Centers. Like Subsistence Buildings, these are automatically created rather than built, with the level of Urban Center in a State being tied to the amount of Urbanization generated by its other buildings. Urban Centers primarily employ Shopkeepers and provide a number of important local functions that we will get into at a later point.
From that and whats mentioned in the video it sounds like they provide services, which are demanded by Urban pops somehow and relate to some systems they haven't talked about yet.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I miss the little people. The icons are not doing it for me

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Am I imagining it or do the portraits for the starving pops have hollow / gaunt cheeks?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

you need to buy tickets to transport stuff by rail

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Aren't Pie charts frowned upon nowadays, at least in the world of data science?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who the hell cares what a data scientist says

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Who the hell cares what a data scientist says

You can't use pie charts, they hurt the data scientists' feelings! <:mad:>

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

fuf posted:

Am I imagining it or do the portraits for the starving pops have hollow / gaunt cheeks?

No, they look starving to me.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The fact that they feel a need to have those numbers for the top 3 underneath kinda prove that the pie chart sucks at conveying useful information. In the same space they're currently using, bar charts would be able to provide more easily read information on more groups.

It could be that the detailed list has that, though then a player might want a way for the detailed list to always be the one that opens first.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

DrSunshine posted:

Aren't Pie charts frowned upon nowadays, at least in the world of data science?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The fact that they feel a need to have those numbers for the top 3 underneath kinda prove that the pie chart sucks at conveying useful information. In the same space they're currently using, bar charts would be able to provide more easily read information on more groups.

It could be that the detailed list has that, though then a player might want a way for the detailed list to always be the one that opens first.

I disagree, bar chart in that small space would be less readable. It would be crowded with all the smaller slices that would have very short bars

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
The pie charts aren't for conveying useful information, they're for looking cool and enjoying watching the pie chart fill out the way you want it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Zeron posted:

The pie charts aren't for conveying useful information, they're for looking cool and enjoying watching the pie chart fill out the way you want it.

:hmmyes:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Please paradox in the name of accessibility let us mouse over the chunks of pie charts to see what the colour represents for those of us with bad colour-seeing peepers. I always found the pie charts in other paradox games totally useless because I couldn't tell which exact shade of colour meant what between the legend and pie. Give me a tool tip please.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
they were also useless because they didn't actually convey any information correctly.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
As long as I can export my countries data as a CSV file I'll be ok

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they should use a radar graph like street fighter

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A capitalist sees that chart and immediately sets out to build another glass factory

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gaius Marius posted:

A capitalist sees that chart and immediately sets out to build another glass factory

"It's a growth industry! All the other capitalists can't be wrong!"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Capfalcon posted:

"It's a growth industry! All the other capitalists can't be wrong!"

give me a pie chart measuring bubbles please

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Quorum posted:

give me a pie chart measuring bubbles please

:getin:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Big Dick Cheney posted:

As long as I can export my countries data as a CSV file I'll be ok

:agreed:

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
We actually have area charts too, you can toggle between them and pie charts.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are the pie charts disabled during famine?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Poil posted:

Are the pie charts disabled during famine?

Replaced with cake charts

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Wiz posted:

We actually have area charts too, you can toggle between them and pie charts.
:sickos:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Maps and charts, my two favortest thing.

Time for my favorite game mode, brought over from Stellaris: How many flavors can I add to my pop pie chart?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Alternatively, let Tableau access Vicky's database and make your own custom viz. Perfect for dual monitor gamers

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

bar charts can't accommodate additional pop types added by mods or dlc inside a fixed-size UI element

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

guidoanselmi posted:

Alternatively, let Tableau access Vicky's database and make your own custom viz. Perfect for dual monitor gamers

Would appeal to goons who ache to get back to EVE-Online but know that they cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Playing vicky2 and I'm a newb, is there an effective strategy for reducing aristocrats? Playing russia and I noticed I have a fuckload of aristocrats... I am just promoting clergy and buero early game.