Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Maerlyn posted:

My husband and I have been on a 16 GB plan (thank you duckman for helping get that started a few years ago) but going back to the office has necessitated switching to unlimited for us I think. Are there any promos/methods we can use to save there other than the autopay discount? I had gotten some emails months ago about switching but don't remember the offer and I don't know if that's something worth waiting for (free Disney+ etc is not attractive, I don't know that they offer any savings on unlimited plans other than autopay).

The only main discounts besides autopay are military, first responder, nurse or teacher.

Certain accounts do have retention offers, but it varies. I would call care and check, or if you want me to check I next work Friday.

FYI if your phones are paid off there is likely a trade in offer if you move to the unlimited plans.

And FYI Start vs Play more, start you can get throttled if you’re on a congested tower, no mobile hotspot and 480 video. If those things don’t matter do start, if they do do play more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Duckman2008 posted:

The only main discounts besides autopay are military, first responder, nurse or teacher.

Certain accounts do have retention offers, but it varies. I would call care and check, or if you want me to check I next work Friday.

FYI if your phones are paid off there is likely a trade in offer if you move to the unlimited plans.

And FYI Start vs Play more, start you can get throttled if you’re on a congested tower, no mobile hotspot and 480 video. If those things don’t matter do start, if they do do play more.

Our phones are paid off so I can look into that too. I'll do a little poking around and if I need more help I'll be in touch next week. Thanks!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have Verizon prepaid and a Pixel 2. I see there's an option to turn on visual voicemail in the dialer app, but I'm also seeing references to a $3/month premium visual voicemail. Is this a free basic version? I see references to it being free, but all the posts are kinda old, so I wanna double check.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So I just got offered a promo: $700 off a new iPhone if I trade in my 8plus. Any reason I shouldn’t jump on this? Is it model specific ? Is Touch ID coming back this fall ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

So I just got offered a promo: $700 off a new iPhone if I trade in my 8plus. Any reason I shouldn’t jump on this? Is it model specific ? Is Touch ID coming back this fall ?

Nope, it’s a good promo, you just have to be on a premium plan, which I assume you are.

No one knows on Touch ID. Whether you take advantage of the promo now or wait for whatever the new iPhone is is your choice. $700 is a good bit higher than normal though.

If you want a referral code, or want me to order it for you over the phone, PM and let me know. Not obligated, but I don’t mind helping.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

I’ve got about $220 in Verizon bux, could I stack them and just swipe for what’s left to avoid the x amount added to the bill over y time? Haven’t done any vzw shenanigans since getting my 8+

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

I’ve got about $220 in Verizon bux, could I stack them and just swipe for what’s left to avoid the x amount added to the bill over y time? Haven’t done any vzw shenanigans since getting my 8+

Yup, adding the $220 will just the payment plan accordingly. You have to do payment over 2 years to get the $700 trade in , but you can def put whatever money towards it to make the monthly cheaper.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
duckman i owe like ~$500 on my pixel 5 from a few months ago, I want to pay it off and was kinda considering swapping to a iphone 12. Is there any deal I can make use of or am I considered "already in the system" and if I pay off and trade in the phone im still gunna have to pay full price for the iphone?

thanks

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

duckman i owe like ~$500 on my pixel 5 from a few months ago, I want to pay it off and was kinda considering swapping to a iphone 12. Is there any deal I can make use of or am I considered "already in the system" and if I pay off and trade in the phone im still gunna have to pay full price for the iphone?

thanks

You’re on play more right ? I’d have to check the trade in tomorrow, but basically you would have to pay off the $500 on the phone, but then you could turn around and get a $700 trade in towards any 12. You’ll have to pay any sales tax and upgrade fee up front as well.

If you need help, I now officially can order for anyone nationwide so I can always set an appointment to give you a ring.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that I believe it's okay more I can double check and get back to you.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is that $700 tradein of a broken screen IPhone 8+ towards a 12/12pro still available? I cant find the deal on the website but swear I saw it yesterday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Is that $700 tradein of a broken screen IPhone 8+ towards a 12/12pro still available? I cant find the deal on the website but swear I saw it yesterday.

Yes, you need a premium data plan for it, and you have to be able to turn off find my iPhone.

Feel free to PM me for either a referral code or I can order it for you on Monday.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Man, Verizon can be pretty frustrating.

I have 3 bars of LTE but if I try to send an SMS message with a picture, all of them fail to send. Also, if I turn off my home WiFi, I can no longer go onto anything on the internet because it says there is no connection.

This has been an issue for at least a year and I called them previously but they just had me reset my network settings (edit: and put a new SIM card in) which did not do anything. It seems like my town (which is right along the interstate) has became a dead zone.

Edit: Looking back through my posts and the majority of my posts are pointing out these LTE issues for the last few years and having Duckman help me out because Duckman is awesome! Thanks Duckman, you are the redeeming quality of Verizon.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 21, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Man, Verizon can be pretty frustrating.

I have 3 bars of LTE but if I try to send an SMS message with a picture, all of them fail to send. Also, if I turn off my home WiFi, I can no longer go onto anything on the internet because it says there is no connection.

This has been an issue for at least a year and I called them previously but they just had me reset my network settings (edit: and put a new SIM card in) which did not do anything. It seems like my town (which is right along the interstate) has became a dead zone.

Edit: Looking back through my posts and the majority of my posts are pointing out these LTE issues for the last few years and having Duckman help me out because Duckman is awesome! Thanks Duckman, you are the redeeming quality of Verizon.

Ha, thank you sir. Company certainly isn’t perfect, but they do fairly well at keeping me employed and such, so I’ll take it.

Wish I had an answer for your issue. Honestly, if there is consistently a signal issue in a specific spot, and doing all the general trouble shooting and swapping SIMs doesn’t do it, either it just is in a bad coverage area, and/or there is something wrong with a local tower.

The 3 bars makes it kind of weird , but hell if I know, that’s getting out of my area. But if anything else question wise comes to mind, post away or PM.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I have that issue too, and I'm in a major metropolitan area.

Receive 1 to 3 bars consistently at home, or driving around. Techs had me do all the phone reset and new sim stuff. They gave me a lte network extender, but that gave me worse calls at home. It also had issues with setting the clock on my phone incorrectly somehow.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

2743 mbps down
203 mbps up
19 ping
31 jitter

Too lazy to embed an image. Those were my results on my first 5g Ultra Wideband test in downtown St. Petersburg yesterday. I saw other results hitting close to 2k down as well. LTE/5G indoors anywhere from 55-125 down also. Very impressive.

iPhone 12 mini

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pagin' Duckman2008

My wife and I are current Verizon customers, but she kinda wants to switch to Visible https://www.visible.com/ because it's so much cheaper and claims to use the same towers, etc. All I can find about Visible is a post from OldSenileGuy over 2 years ago where he didn't like their service.

So two questions for the thread:

1. Is Visible good or wack? How much worse is its service/coverage than standard Verizon service? What's the catch (other than de-prioritization during congested times)?

2. Is there any way I can leverage Visible's pricing against Verizon to have them give us a discount to stay with VZ instead of switching providers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

pagin' Duckman2008

My wife and I are current Verizon customers, but she kinda wants to switch to Visible https://www.visible.com/ because it's so much cheaper and claims to use the same towers, etc. All I can find about Visible is a post from OldSenileGuy over 2 years ago where he didn't like their service.

So two questions for the thread:

1. Is Visible good or wack? How much worse is its service/coverage than standard Verizon service? What's the catch (other than de-prioritization during congested times)?

2. Is there any way I can leverage Visible's pricing against Verizon to have them give us a discount to stay with VZ instead of switching providers?

Visible does piggyback on Verizon, but it has lower data priority. Can’t say 100% either way, but certainly possible you would see a coverage / data speed difference.

The catch for all 3rd parties like that is lower data priority, sometimes there are speed caps (not sure on visible), and they have skeleton customer service. For people here, they certainly can be a good option if you’re ok with figuring out plan stuff and tech stuff yourself.

For the second question: what plan do you have ? Also, are you looking to upgrade ?

Verizon *may* offer a retention offer, plan or upgrade. It is account based , so I could check for you , but I would have to call you to access your account. If you want me to do that, PM me and we will arrange it.

I don’t know visible pricing, but the other option is Verizon prepaid. May or may not be the same price, but I could always get you a rate and help
You switch to that too. PM for any help there as well. Or post here, both are fine.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Visible's pricing is great. It's nominally $40/month but if you do a group pay it's $25/month (and there are public groups with thousands of people so if you join one of those you never risk paying more). Like Duckman2008 mentioned the big catch is that your data is deprioritized. If you're in an area where Verizon is not popular or they have a really good network deployment you might not notice, but if you're in an area where their network is heavily loaded you might barely be able to use your data. I'd recommend reading up on people's experiences at r/nocontract and r/visible before you make the switch. If you've got an old Verizon-compatible phone kicking around you might also want to activate it for a month on Visible to get a feel for what the service is like where you are.

If you've got Comcast or Charter internet service then you should also look at Xfinity Mobile and Spectrum Mobile as alternatives. Those are more expensive than Visible but also use Verizon and they don't get deprioritized.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

So I watch the vzw Reddit pretty closely and I gotta say, there are so many whiny posts. Is everyone by and large on the start unlimited plan and just baffled that they have no priority? Are people so far in the sticks? Genuinely curious as to why so much dissatisfaction.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

So I watch the vzw Reddit pretty closely and I gotta say, there are so many whiny posts. Is everyone by and large on the start unlimited plan and just baffled that they have no priority? Are people so far in the sticks? Genuinely curious as to why so much dissatisfaction.

Some people want 100% perfection and they want it for free. Also, welcome to my last 12 years working in phones.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Yeah, pretty much what Duckman said. I've had VZW for a decade+ in five different states and a bunch of short term jaunts, and the only times I've had anything to complain about was either due to phones being stupid, being waaaaaaaay out in the middle of literal nowhere, or occasionally finding that one specific corner of a restaurant got mediocre signal.

Overall I've been quite happy, hence my still being willing to pay them cash monies every month for so long.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Unfortunately I was forced to taste the joy of cricket wireless for 2 months. COVID-19 :captainpop:

Verizon is superior. Anyone who cries otherwise just baffles me tbh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does trade-in credit stack? I traded in an iPhone X for the credit and bought my current phone outright last November, but I haven't been happy with it so I've been thinking about capitalizing on a trade-in bonus deal for something else. However, I don't want to lose the trade-in credit I already have and expect to be getting for the next year or so.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fallom posted:

Does trade-in credit stack? I traded in an iPhone X for the credit and bought my current phone outright last November, but I haven't been happy with it so I've been thinking about capitalizing on a trade-in bonus deal for something else. However, I don't want to lose the trade-in credit I already have and expect to be getting for the next year or so.

I assume by buyout you paid the difference and are doing the installment plan for the credit. Unfortunately you would have to buy out the remaining installment plan to qualify to trade the phone in, so basically it’s one credit at a time.

If you want me to check on your account PM me. FYI, the $700-800 trade in requires the medium (or higher) unlimited plan.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I assume by buyout you paid the difference and are doing the installment plan for the credit. Unfortunately you would have to buy out the remaining installment plan to qualify to trade the phone in, so basically it’s one credit at a time.

If you want me to check on your account PM me. FYI, the $700-800 trade in requires the medium (or higher) unlimited plan.

Thanks, I’ll PM you. Sounds like that’ll be easier.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Went into the app to see how much data we had left for the month and it says that we have 0 Gbs left but that we have also used 0 Gbs with 19 days remaining.

“One weird trick to get unlimited data that Verizon does not want you to know…”

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For anyone that's curious, the EBB and military/veteran discounts do stack. The rep wasn't sure at first and I was worried that I would lose my grandfathered rate, but they were both applied this past bill.

Make sure to sign up for EBB if you qualify. I was surprised, Verizon's process was actually very painless.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

How easy is it to switch devices on the Verizon Loyalty plan with shared data? My folks want updated cell phones, Mom’s on an iPhone 6 and Dad wants an iPhone, but has a flip phone now. Ideally I’d be able to pick up a couple of iPhone SEs and do it all over the phone. Is that possible, or am I going to need to go into a store?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LordOfThePants posted:

How easy is it to switch devices on the Verizon Loyalty plan with shared data? My folks want updated cell phones, Mom’s on an iPhone 6 and Dad wants an iPhone, but has a flip phone now. Ideally I’d be able to pick up a couple of iPhone SEs and do it all over the phone. Is that possible, or am I going to need to go into a store?

If you want help, I’m in the over the phone sales center and can help with this. There may or may not be a retention offer. I can ship or reserve for store pickup too.

PM of you want help, wouldn’t mind figuring stuff out for you.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I haven't really felt the need to upgrade my really old Nationwide Talk 450 Plan with unlimited data. My average bill is $80/month after fees/discounts/etc. Is there any reason to change my plan? I don't see any value in all the "perks" for Hulu+ and Disney.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

c355n4 posted:

I haven't really felt the need to upgrade my really old Nationwide Talk 450 Plan with unlimited data. My average bill is $80/month after fees/discounts/etc. Is there any reason to change my plan? I don't see any value in all the "perks" for Hulu+ and Disney.

Only if you want the new trade In promo (you should be good where you are at for now).

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Only if you want the new trade In promo (you should be good where you are at for now).

Thanks, guess I'll keep trucking on! I guess once 5G ultrawideband gets big I'll have to swap at that point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

c355n4 posted:

Thanks, guess I'll keep trucking on! I guess once 5G ultrawideband gets big I'll have to swap at that point.

It'll never "get big."

There are instances where I've had 5GUWB coverage standing in one spot, and I'll move six feet in any direction and lose it.

Verizon would have to blanket the entire country, block by block, with 5GUWB equipment to get consistent coverage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It'll never "get big."

There are instances where I've had 5GUWB coverage standing in one spot, and I'll move six feet in any direction and lose it.

Verizon would have to blanket the entire country, block by block, with 5GUWB equipment to get consistent coverage.

This is correct. Verizon itself even said UWB is basically going to be cities and major population points.

In theory, the mid band coverage Verizon purchased may be a good in between spot, but it’s def a wait and see how it does with her I’ll put / performance.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My wife and I currently have the old 8GB shared plan, with two phones we own outright. We pay $93.90/mo + taxes and fees, with my 20% work discount and the 3% bonus access discount on the plan itself, whatever that is.

Is there any reason not to switch to the 10GB shared plan, which looks to be the same price? When I go to switch plan, it gives me our current discounted 8GB plan, but shows $110 for the 10GB plan with no discounts. Do the shared plans no longer qualify for plan-level discounts?

Luckily we mostly stay under 8GB/month, if I had to flip to unlimited data I'd probably either go postpaid VZW or jump ship to Xfinity Mobile, much as I dislike dealing with Comcast for internet already.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
I just made that near exact switch, and my bill increased by $15.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

PitViper posted:

or jump ship to Xfinity Mobile, much as I dislike dealing with Comcast for internet already.

So I feel like this is at least adjacent to this thread since Xfinity Mobile seems to rely on the Verizon Network. Anyone have any thoughts on it? It seems to be WAY cheaper so I've been eyeing it pretty hard.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

My wife and I currently have the old 8GB shared plan, with two phones we own outright. We pay $93.90/mo + taxes and fees, with my 20% work discount and the 3% bonus access discount on the plan itself, whatever that is.

Is there any reason not to switch to the 10GB shared plan, which looks to be the same price? When I go to switch plan, it gives me our current discounted 8GB plan, but shows $110 for the 10GB plan with no discounts. Do the shared plans no longer qualify for plan-level discounts?

Luckily we mostly stay under 8GB/month, if I had to flip to unlimited data I'd probably either go postpaid VZW or jump ship to Xfinity Mobile, much as I dislike dealing with Comcast for internet already.

No work discounts on any current plan.

Your 8GB plan is $53 + $20 + $20 = $93.

10GB plan is $40 + $35 + $35 = $110.

It’s $40 + $25 + $25 = $90 WITH autopay with a checking account.

So can be worth it, but basically they changed from work discount to auto pay with your checking account discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

So I feel like this is at least adjacent to this thread since Xfinity Mobile seems to rely on the Verizon Network. Anyone have any thoughts on it? It seems to be WAY cheaper so I've been eyeing it pretty hard.

I’m a bit biased, but Xfinity / Spectrum are fine, it’s lower priority than Verizon customers but mostly the same coverage. Where they get you is Comcast and Spectrum eventually raise your internet bill, so they’re basically subsiding phone plans to keep you from switching when the internet bill goes up.