Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
On details that are appearance only, yes.

On quality, no.

It can be in the wrong place... Just not done wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Just gotta put in a fake vent cover on the other side of the stud so its symmetrical.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wheatpuppy posted:

Just gotta put in a fake vent cover on the other side of the stud so its symmetrical.

:aaaaa:

Why must you tempt me so. I actually have an extra I was about to return.

schmug
May 20, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

lol

schmug
May 20, 2007

kastein posted:

:aaaaa:

Why must you tempt me so. I actually have an extra I was about to return.

lol lol

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I honestly can't decide if I'm going to do that. Probably not, they'd be really close together and it would look stupid.

Today was siding and trim day, up until I ran out of trim screws anyways.

Siding up... First layer of the barge boards too. And the vent fan hood. I used stainless steel screws so it won't ever leave rust streaks on the siding.

Put the trim at the bottom of the gable end on as well. Ran out of screws so the rest of the barge boards and soffits go on tomorrow after I hit home depot. I decided to do the floodlights while I was up there since I've had the stuff on the shelf and want to be done with ladders outside ASAP. I used all stainless screws for that too.

That's all for today. Tweaked my back this morning so I had to go slow.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Way too late for this given you don't care and probably the new owner won't even notice, but couldn't you have run the vent straight out the bottom of the new soffit?

mcgreenvegtables fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 19, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I suppose I could have, but I didn't think of that in time. What do people use for vent hoods for that so that bugs and cold/hot outside air don't get inside when it's off? I've only seen vertical wall vent hoods.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I suppose I could have, but I didn't think of that in time. What do people use for vent hoods for that so that bugs and cold/hot outside air don't get inside when it's off? I've only seen vertical wall vent hoods.

My vertical one has screen around the output and also has an internal flap that closes when there isn't any air flowing out.

EvilPsych
Jul 19, 2004
Ask me about my 'LiveJournal' :rollseyes:
The crazy thing about this odyssey with you kastein is you timed the finishing of this home when real estate is at all time highs almost everywhere. Hell sir, you might just break even!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

poo poo, 3 years ago I was hoping to maybe get 160-200. I would have profited even then. It's looking more like 270-330 depending on what the realtor says now.

Speaking of which, bathroom drywall that I did in 2011 before I had any idea how to do it got ripped back out and redone again this week. I couldn't stand it being wrong and it was going to be more work to correct it than just redoing it, so:

Minus 5 sheets of drywall

(Also added wood backer boards for the area I need to put screws in to hang the medicine cabinet, and oversized them enough that it should cover any other cabinet the next owner is likely to want to swap to. I'll be leaving a template rolled up behind the cabinet so they know where they can just run screws in without a care in the world and where they would need drywall anchors.)

Plus one, and this time I didn't put 6 zillion screws in, blow them through the first layer of paper, and leave some unsupported seams

Redid some more

(Yes it still needs tape on that taper joint, and in a bunch of other places, but at least the sheets are horizontal to the studs, screwed on right, and the loving taper joint isn't floating between studs on a random furring strip... The hell was I thinking?)

Today my order of PVC trim screws (out of stock at every HD and Lowes within 55 miles) finally arrived so I did the barge boards on the bathroom gable end. Some soffit work and 3 pieces of siding and the exterior of the bathroom is entirely done.

kastein fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 26, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Impressive work as always, will you be doing a build thread of the new place?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

cakesmith handyman posted:

Impressive work as always, will you be doing a build thread of the new place?

It's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942473

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Already (prematurely) started, yeah. It's going to mostly be paperwork and prep for months, don't expect much of anything out of that thread yet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

No it's cool, I had already bookmarked that but forgotten, good hilarious rotten rv content for now though :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So I finished the laundry hookups for the new laundry spot in the basement one evening. Then leveled the dirt floor using stale mortar mix and patio pavers and moved the laundry machines over.

Why? There's a high efficiency laundry hookup upstairs but we don't own and aren't buying a high efficiency set yet, and aren't bringing the old machines west either so they'll be sold with the house. I figure it's a starter house so free laundry machines that come with it will be considered good. And the old spot for the machines was temporary at best and still limping along since 2011 and needed to go. So it was time.

Then I committed a bunch of OSHA violations using ratchet straps as hoists to move a 400lb sink to the new stand for it without dying or breaking it. More on that later.

Finally got the rest of the trim and the last course of siding done on all walls of the bathroom. Another thing checked off the list completely.

Then I went to shim the basement laundry sink I busted my rear end to move until it was level so it would drain right and uhhhhh about that

It turns out the crack across the bottom that leaked a little water was about 80% across the sink. I shimmed the ends up and the middle stayed where it was and suddenly it didn't hold water anymore. So I knocked the busted end off and started looking into how to cut the jagged bits off then realized the other side was cracked too, just not as bad.

And the front edge looked like this because the previous owners did something stupid to it.

So I made a decision and solved my problems with violence again

Goodbye sink. You served many owners well and several not so well.

I got the floodlights on the bathroom temporarily hooked up and aimed last night. They won't be hooked up for good until the front porch lights are wired though.

Today I finished the exterior trim on the kitchen bay window. It's been waiting long enough and the weather was alright so I went for it. It still needed two vertical pieces, six detail pieces below the window, 3 frieze boards above, and 3 fascia boards. All but the fascia boards and verticals I was able to do with scraps I had on hand from other projects, which was nice because it cost nothing and reduced the amount of waste I'll be disposing of.

Partway through. Details and verticals are done but the fascia and frieze boards aren't.

And now the bay window trim is entirely done.

That's all for now... Hoping to have the bathroom completely mudded, sanded, and painted soon though.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

kastein posted:

And now the bay window trim is entirely done.

That's all for now... Hoping to have the bathroom completely mudded, sanded, and painted soon though.

Is it just me or is the window on the upper right decidedly crooked? :spergin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It definitely is and it bugs the poo poo out of me. But it's because the hole in the wall was crooked as poo poo (this was the straightest I could get the window, even with a half inch of wiggle room in the rough opening...) so blame Antoine Lamoureaux being drunk off his rear end one fine spring day in 1879. gently caress that guy.

Welcome to the slanty shanty! See the twisted creatures within!

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 14, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Shame about the sink. That was kind of a neat fixture.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wouldn't be too difficult* to form and pour yourself one if you fancied.

*heavy as poo poo and you'll gently caress up the first one or two.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That dryer is making my eye twitch.

Flip the door around, it's a pain in the rear end to move laundry from the washer to dryer when the door opens into your leg.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mine is that way as well and the door can't be switched. Realized that once it was mostly off.:v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It opens completely flat against the washer so I stopped caring a long time ago. Also, they are free and the next owner can do whatever the hell they want about it. Not my problem.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

kastein posted:

It opens completely flat against the washer so I stopped caring a long time ago. Also, they are free and the next owner can do whatever the hell they want about it. Not my problem.

This is not the attitude I come to this thread for.

Can't blame you, I would have said I can't be arsed many posts ago...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's just an appliance I paid $65 on Craigslist for when my last $150 Craigslist dryer died. I could not possibly give less of a poo poo what it looks like or which way the door swings, it opens all the way, I put wet clothes in and dry ones come out. I'm not bringing it with us when we move so the next owner gets it thrown in free, they can give it away if they don't want it. Hell, they're gonna get a running snowblower, washer, fridge, and probably some other appliances with it too because I am NOT wasting my time selling them or moving them.

Starter house, comes with starter appliances.

Today we finally finished mudding and sanding the bathroom, it's ready for paint in the morning.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ceiling in the bathroom is primed and painted
Walls are primed. One more coat tomorrow and I can start the floor, just bought all the underlayment and mastic stuff to do that. Hoping to get it done by end of week, we'll see if that happens. It's my first tile project ever and I was a dumbass ten years ago and bought 12in tile for it so this is going to be a trial by fire.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

kastein posted:

Walls are primed. One more coat tomorrow and I can start the floor, just bought all the underlayment and mastic stuff to do that. Hoping to get it done by end of week, we'll see if that happens. It's my first tile project ever and I was a dumbass ten years ago and bought 12in tile for it so this is going to be a trial by fire.
Every tile floor I've ever done has been large tile picked out by the gf (18x9 last time) and it sucks every time. I'm sure you've done everything possible to level the floor though, so god be with you.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I laid 12x24 as my first time job earlier this year. A leveling system is super helpful. Ours came out... Ok. I leveled the floor before I put down the ditra heat, but that hosed up the level enough to cause issues for the tile. I could do a much better job if I did it again. I'm sure you know, but dry-lay and label everything ahead of time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I actually didn't know that, so thanks! Just saved me a lot of heartache.

A few days ago...

Today:

Some minor issues with the paint at the line between ceiling and wall, but a little touch up will cover it. Next is flooring, which isn't happening for a while because we have friends visiting in a couple days and I'm not starting that till after they leave since there's only one bathroom in the house and it'll involve removing the toilet (again) to work under it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

First, dry lay:

This is going to be complicated because one, I chose a stupid complicated pattern ten years ago, and two, I'm stupid and want the edge along the tub to be the no-cut starting edge, but given my lack of antigravity field, I'm going to have to essentially work counterclockwise from the starting line. So the first row goes down along the tub starting further from the door and working both ways out towards the door and window, then another 2 or 3 across to the sink plumbing just so the holes I drill for those pipes line up right, then do the closet, then backfill from the closet over to the sink plumbing, then work backwards towards the door.

Then I went and rented the tile wetsaw from HD and bought some masonry cutting and grinding wheels for my angle grinder, and...

And a couple diamond holesaws:

All dry laid and numbered on a grid.

Then picked them back up in the reverse order and stacked them. I mostly even got that right, only had to hunt for the right one a few times and not for very long. Vacuumed the floor one last time, staged each group of tiles (index rows, then closet and back of room, then the rest of the room) where I could reach them as needed and... Here we go.

That's all for now. We're mudding the office and sanding the master bedroom closet today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Verra nice!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Pulled the spacers and tape. It's starting to almost look nice, can't wait for the mastic to finish curing so I can grout this and toss the vanity, medicine cabinet, and toilet back in.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Pulled the spacers and tape. It's starting to almost look nice, can't wait for the mastic to finish curing so I can grout this and toss the vanity, medicine cabinet, and toilet back in.

That looks awesome. And if that's your first big tile job your attention to detail shows. You certainly picked a doozy of a pattern.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This is the first time I've touched tile *ever*. I was loving terrified of it and hemmed and hawed over it and read a lot for a long rear end time before I ever opened the tub of mastic.

I don't know why I chose that pattern. But between the pattern and the simulated slate texture, I'm actually glad I did because it is doing a great job of concealing the look and feel of beginner tile lippage. I got a few rows of 2x4 tile set slightly too high but I have to actually go looking for them to find them compared to the natural bumpiness of the rest of it.

That little mk170 wetsaw they rent out did great. 12x12 is the largest tile you can use it for and it's a little limiting even on that because of where the motor support is but I was able to work around it. I'm not longer afraid of cutting tile... Setting it still scares the poo poo out of me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm sure those tiny imperfections are as good as any tiler does day in day out. Grouting is its own thing as I'm sure you've read. You want it sponged/wiped down to the correct depth before it sets. I'm no tiler but I have laid a decent amount of easy 12x12. My friends managed to forget that first rule and spent a ton of time basically chiseling away at these giant grooves of grout on the wall of their laundry room. (Think quarter inch gap turned into closer to an inch of grout.)

Thankfully you have a water source and drain right there. :v: I've never used premix though so I don't know how it works compared to the dry powder.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Verra nice!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Man, I need to decide what I'm doing with my bathrooms and dive in. Just pick one of them to start with, and get it done. Both need a complete overhaul, though one is partially upgraded already. Bare concrete floors are starting to bother me.
One of them I'll be learning to build a shower pan, and *that* terrifies me.

kastein posted:

That little mk170 wetsaw they rent out did great. 12x12 is the largest tile you can use it for and it's a little limiting even on that because of where the motor support is but I was able to work around it. I'm not longer afraid of cutting tile... Setting it still scares the poo poo out of me.

Helping my sister remodel her house, I became the SME on the tile saw, cutting 12" tiles on a saw very much not intended for 12" tiles... It starts to deflect at a certain point, and learning where that point was and accounting for it was "fun".
At least I have that experience, and my sister has also offered to help. She's not only done that house, but her current house, so I've got someone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong, at least form a DIY perspective.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Man, I need to decide what I'm doing with my bathrooms and dive in. Just pick one of them to start with, and get it done. Both need a complete overhaul, though one is partially upgraded already. Bare concrete floors are starting to bother me.
One of them I'll be learning to build a shower pan, and *that* terrifies me.

Shower pan I haven't done yet, I'm no help there unfortunately.

On the concrete - you're so lucky. You can get away with murder setting tile on that, basically any method of smoothing and leveling the substrate and any adhesive technology that are both acceptable for the tile you choose will also be perfect for cement.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

On the concrete - you're so lucky. You can get away with murder setting tile on that, basically any method of smoothing and leveling the substrate and any adhesive technology that are both acceptable for the tile you choose will also be perfect for cement.

Yes and no. A slab foundation on North Texas clay with incredibly variable rainfall means fascinating new shapes of walls, floors, and doorways at various times. It's on piers now, but not before loving up everything. Pier and beam would at least be easier to fix.
You're not wrong about applying tile, though. Or even the bamboo I've had stacked in the living room for 5 or 6 years. Boy, I hope that mastic is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Darchangel posted:

Yes and no. A slab foundation on North Texas clay with incredibly variable rainfall means fascinating new shapes of walls, floors, and doorways at various times. It's on piers now, but not before loving up everything. Pier and beam would at least be easier to fix.
You're not wrong about applying tile, though. Or even the bamboo I've had stacked in the living room for 5 or 6 years. Boy, I hope that mastic is still good.

Oh good, I'm not the only one that has poo poo sitting around forever. A case of peel-and-stick for the bathroom to test it before we finish the rest of the house with it (our laminate was cheap poo poo the previous owner's children used to flip the place after she passed), never mind the myriad decorations and tchotchkes that Need a Home.

I had a whole case of peel-and-stick get ruined from sitting in the bathroom next to the toilet when two things happened at once - the toilet developed a nasty, nasty clog that took two gallons of Drano, seventeen tries with the auger, and cumulative hours of plunging to clear, and the tank bolt on that side started to corrode. Overflowing toilet and leaky tank meant a big rear end puddle on the floor and that was an easy way to waste like $40.