Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
We don't need to make up for them! We paid! It's not a flex its just being weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's funny tho

Also IIRC he refunded all our payment which yeah it's not like we owe him for giving us back our money that's a decision he made on his own and he's a big boy but still, it's funny

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
L. Add a note likely to deter Zepathans.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Esher, when was Shalman last in Baitel?

How recent is this sign, I wonder.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Man, if only we had an Eagle Arrow to show off to the one dude that could really appreciate it. Too bad we used it to slay a Melachim along and I certainly hope this dude doesn't correspond with Chait and know about our oopsie-woopsie.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Arkanomen posted:

Man, if only we had an Eagle Arrow to show off to the one dude that could really appreciate it. Too bad we used it to slay a Melachim along and I certainly hope this dude doesn't correspond with Chait and know about our oopsie-woopsie.

We *do* have an eagle arrow on us. We had two, we spent one.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Arkanomen posted:

Would you like to lead another charge for an Enkidel hair-shirt uniform?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Arkanomen posted:

We want to show him that we made something that shouldn't be possible for someone like us to make? We should see what he thinks about our 2.0 bronze arrows though

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sniping the target is a hilarious power move but I'm still on team jump in the pit.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Polgas posted:

Question
Can we ask avery why our smith skills to make things pretty aren't as good? Not worth it compared to focusing on plain bb?
"Because you have not spent as much time trying to make things that look pretty, compared to how much time you've spent trying to make things which gloriously slay the foes of the Eternal One?"

Zodiac5000 posted:

Esher, when was Shalman last in Baitel?

How recent is this sign, I wonder.
"I don't know, he left for his Manhood trial... almost three years ago?"

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 14, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Left? Has he come back yet?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Outrail posted:

Left? Has he come back yet?
You know that he has not. This would probably hint that the sign is relatively new?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Diogines posted:

"I don't know, he left for his Manhood trial... almost three years ago?"

Bet he went on to Seir.

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

Diogines posted:

You know that he has not. This would probably hint that the sign is relatively new?

He's not at the bottom of the pit, is he?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You have not yet reached the pit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We should compare hunting trophies with Hadad. "Bagged a Melachim last month. You?"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

ShotgunWillie posted:

Bet he went on to Seir.

Yeah, the list of outside-Seir bow masters is a short one.

Ask Esher if Shalman was taught both proper and kavodel script. If he has then it's possible Shalman goofed, but if he was taught only kavodel script we may have a more worrisome problem.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

The Lone Badger posted:

We should compare hunting trophies with Hadad. "Bagged a Melachim last month. You?"

Those mighty men guarding the slope of My Har? Conservation Officers.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
L yeah

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Diogines posted:

"Hmmm" Aharon says "I suppose you want ancient wisdom then? How about this then? Among those who stand, do not sit; among those who sit, do not stand. Among those who laugh, do not weep; among those who weep, do not laugh."

Reading back over our Hadad visit and found this piece of advice from the Kohen, which sounds awfully like the oft-repeated “whatever you do, don’t draw attention to yourself” lol

Also changing my L vote to

Tie a 10 pound of silver equivalent treasure to an arrow and land it in front of the instruction sign by his door, then L

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

L

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
The part where Hadad doesn't believe the Zepathans fight demons is rubbing me the wrong way. He sits in Baitel with an alligator and a slave while Enkidel and his pEladins fight and shed blood for God.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
L

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Expect the next update in about an hour? Thank you for your patience.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

"How long do you have my friend?" you say with a charming smile as you pull out what wine you still have and begin to share some tales with Sergeant Pithon and his men of many of the adventures of the Balls of Labaras. And in doing so you probably don't even run afoul of not doomsaying to the masses or to kings as these men are the soldiers of the House of El itself. Merchant traffic is slowed that day as most of the soldiers at the tower eventually join you to listen to your tales. You tell them of the fall of Ibleam and the terrible battles at Tanaach and Acco, as well as other demon fighting adventures of the men of Kavodel, ones which were less... cataclysmic. Your grandson Esher, who has a far more adventurous career tells of many of his exploits or those of the other Balls and your nephew Urgun contributes some as well. Sergeant Pithon seems... skeptical at first but less so as the day passes and it is only many hours later after all of your wine has been drunk (and most of the wine in the tower as well) when you finish the tale and go on your way, but not before you tell the men that if they want to take their hand at demon hunting, visitors from Baitel are always welcome in Zepath.

"Thank you for the invitation but we could never leave or posts. But that is... that is quite a story you tell Enkidel. Please, bring your tale to the House of El, they will wish to hear it."

The man walks into the tower and comes out a few minutes later, he affixed a small gold token to the leg of Shades-of-Brown-Defiance and hands you a braided cord of blue and white threads with a silver token dangling from each end.

“Unless you pick up any new goods along the way, show that to the other stops along the way and you’ll be fine. Give it to the priests at the House of El when you arrive. Welcome to Baitel.”

You have the impression that Sergeant Pithon was rather troubled by your words and it is only when he and his men think you are out of earshot do they begin to talk, one of them asking him if he thinks "there will be a deployment? These travelers make it sound as if armies of demons are going to swarm across the hinterland. As if they already are." You can hear Sergeant Pithon's reply "It is for minds wiser than ours to decide but I cannot imagine anyone would be sent. If barbarians are overwhelmed by a... swelling of demons, I would not be overly worried, it will be no more than that at worst."

You continue down the road to Baitel.

You pass more of the towers and find the men there generally quite friendly, though also a tad... concerned about the giant owl. Yet upon inspecting the golden tag on Shades-of-Brown-Defiance's leg and your braided blue cord they let you pass without trouble or further inspections except to ask if you've taken on any new possessions since you were given the cords. And so you travel to Baitel far swifter than you did upon your last visit, sometimes seeing farms and villages far in the distance but mostly seeing mile after mile after mile of empty wilderness. You are still far beyond the outskirts of the city when you pass close to a place you visited a lifetime ago. You are still a few hundred paces away when you see rows of dozens of skulls full of arrows which at even a close inspection look VERY real, though upon the close inspection of your keen senses appear to be made of pottery. There are two stone signs posted upon the path.

One of the signs was here on your last visit.

"GO AWAY - NO VISITORS."

There is another sign, also made of stone. It is not made of clay which has been pressed onto and then hardened, the sign is stone on which letters have been carved. There are letters on the sign. Letters in Kavodel script. And it reads:

"NO ZEPATHANS - NO EXCEPTIONS. VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT IN THEIR GENITALS AND THEN TIED TO A STAKE FOR PROLONGED TARGET PRACTICE.

I am Shalman, son Jamlech and I am stupider than a bag of donkey poo poo which has been left to ferment in the sun for a week.

I am envious of the cleverness and wit possessed by the flies who fester upon such poo poo.

I am more foolish than a man who defies the sacred law.

I am so stupid that I could not discover how to empty water from a cup if the instructions were written upon the bottom.

I am so stupid that I write gibberish instead of writing in the proper manner that LABARAS laid down.

I am very, very, very stupid.

I am also vain and impertinent and full of unearned pride and it is only by the exasperation of the GREAT, WISE, POWERFUL and HATING-OF-VISITORS, Hadad of Dinhaba, Master of the Bow that I live, not by his mercy, for he has no mercy and swears he shall tie to a post and fill with arrows any Zepathans stupid enough to molest him further for if you are foolish enough to think you are the first, there has been a torrent of you morons bothering him and whom he has done many terrible things to.

It is only by his desire that I implore to you to leave him alone that he has spared my worthless life, in the hopes that my countrymen will know of me and believe me better than him.

The Master of the Bow, Hadad of Dinhaba commands that the idiots from my city stop harassing him.

Your claims of mastery over the bow are worthless and your skills pathetic poo poo.

Whatever battles you won do not impress him.

You are poo poo. He is not impressed.

He does not know how so many of you fools learned about his test, but no, you cannot take it.

He does not care if you claim to have dragon bones and promises that the next fool Zepathan to claim to have dragon bones for him shall be slain on the spot without first being tied to a post and that they shall not be filled with arrows for that is too good for you, but simply beaten to death.

Your claims of battle with demons are false and even if true mean nothing to him.

If you think this sign is a test to deter all but the most worthy you are stupider than I am and I am very, very, very stupid. He is CERTAINLY going to kill you but has explained to me at length that it is only by his preference to not have to go to a Mikvah to wash away the ritual impurity from touching your corpse that your life has been spared, for if he did not need to do such a thing he would simply shoot you and leave you to rot in the sun. He values your life so little that the only thing standing between your life and your death is his desire to not have to go on an extra walk to have a bath after killing you.

GO AWAY.
"

Poker is of course not played in Ur, but your grandson Esher has a face perfectly suited for playing it as all eyes turn upon him and after a moment he says "...what? Do you think that I had any idea he did this?"

Though not all here know him well, every person present has met Shalman, son Jamlech... son of Esher. It probably took him a considerable amount of time to carve all of that into solid stone. The others are left dumbstruck and say nothing until after a moment of further and rather awkward silence Esher looks to you and says "Grandfather, please, you have to talk to him and convince him to take this sign down. It besmirches all of our people! And shames our family especially!"

You can freely talk to your companions if you want to, normal rules apply.

A bored looking slave with a slave collar around his neck sits on a stool on the porch of Hadad's home whittling the shafts for some arrows with a knife. There is nothing strictly speaking forbidden a house slave from having a collar but it was not the style the last time you were in Baitel, such tend to be the sign of a troublesome or especially low value slave in the places where collars are more common, given to trouble makers or those slaves performing the worst tasks. You yell for the slave but he does not seem to hear you. After a bit of shouting you take out one of the small mirrors that the Balls of Labaras use to signal over the long distances and shine some light at this eyes. That seems to get his attention. You try to gesture to the man to look towards the target range but you are quite far away and he does not seem to understand. Eventually you use the signalling mirror to lure him to the side of Hadad's home and then you place the mirror down, lift your bow in one hand and a Blooded Bronze arrow in the other and take aim at the 500-paces target, though it is considerably further from where you stand now.

You release the arrow with a THWAAAP! It soars through the air......

KA-THUNK!

The arrows lands in the genitals of the target. You raise your bow and aim for the target a thousand paces...

KA-THUNK!

Your arrow smashes into the target's heart. In rapid succession you fire three more arrows...

THWAP! THWAP! THWAP!

KA-THUNK!

KA-THUNK!

KA-THUNK!

All three arrows bury themselves in the head of the target at two thousand paces. The slave raises a hand to his brow to block out the sun and strains his eyes as he looks at the targets. Urgun asks "Uncle, did you hit them?" Esher laughs. You say yes, you did. At this display the slave begins walking the long distance from the house to where you stand now at the edge of the path which goes by Hadad's home. Looks of confusion and shame are exchanged.

"What are YOU doing here?" Esher asks in an angry tone.

"What am I doing here? Grandfather? Grandfathers? I'm... i'm studying, Hadad is... is going to make me his apprentice, I mean I am his apprentice" says Shalman, son of Jamlech, son of Esher, son of Asahel, son of Enkidel "So thank you for coming but I am doing just fine! Now please just... just go away, you'll make everything worse. Master Hadad does not like visitors."

"Master?" Esher sneers "Tell your master that no man of Kavodel, no man of our family will ever be left in bondage and you are coming with us, now." Esher then looks to you and says "Right?" Esher turns back to his grandson and says "Why couldn't you just go kill a sea monster? How did you end up HERE of all places?"

You tell Esher you aren't sure what you are doing yet. Shalman, what is going on, how did you get here and why are you wearing a slave collar? Shalman insists that he is merely studying as Hadad's apprentice, which you don't believe for even a moment and after trying to persuade him to spill the beans does not work you begin to simply demand in increasingly stern language until finally Shalaman tells you what happened.

Apparently Shalman, who is almost nineteen somehow got it into his head that he would... somehow persuade Hadad to give him a bow to aid him in his quest, just like his famous great-great grandfather did and... Hadad's slave would not let him inside, he wouldn't even let him to take Hadad's test so Shalman kind of... snuck into Hadad's home anyway... Gareb winces at that, Esher does not, having already reached peak-exasperation prior to this point. Shalman goes on to explain that he... might have been dragged before a judge in the city and fined... which he couldn't pay on account of being broke and may... may have been... told to work off his debt to Hadad doing... labor in an involuntary manner for... a while. "But, but I know I am growing on him! Some days he even gives me a little bit of chicken with my dinner and last month he had me making some arrows! I mean he didn't tell me to, but he didn't yell when I started making some as long as I did it on my stool!"

"Last month" Esher shouts "how long have you been here!?"

[mumble mumble mumble]

"How long?!" Esher demands.

"A year... and a month."

"I cannot believe this" Esher says "You know your uncles are probably searching the wild for your bones by now! Your mother is worried!"

[mumble mumble mumble]

"Speak up!"

"I said I am sorry Grandfather."

Esher looks to you and says "Grandfather, no demon has slain me but I will perish from embarrassment if we leave this idiot here. Can we please just pay off this fool's debt and talk to Hadad about the sign? All of our family is shamed by it and him."

Shalman protests "No! He just wants me to prove myself! He has to know I take the bow seriously! I know if I keep at it he'll start training me properly soon! Just go away!"

Esher puts a hand on his face and sighs.

Urgun has not said much during this but he finally speaks up and says "Uncle, the boy made his own mistakes. His own very, very stupid mistakes-" Shalman looks down a bit sheepishly as another one of his relatives speaks up "-but we can't buy him out of his servitude? He IS still on his trial, isn't he? Surely any challenges he faces on it are his own to solve, without help from his family? But I would like to get that sign down."

Gareb nods "He dug his own grave, he has to climb out of it. But that sign is more than a tad shameful. From what you have said the old man is... crotchety but surely you can talk him into taking it down?"

You are not especially close with your great-great grandson Shalman, you have a big family and many responsibilities and demands on your time. The boy always seemed... very earnest however and showed an interest in archery greater than most of his peers. There is no... formal policy about it, but the Balls discourage their offspring and descendants from going to a few places on their manhood trials. A stern reminder is given to not to go to Kitron, for the King has banned such, not to go after the giants because "you will definitely get yourself killed if there are even any left" and not to go to Seir because "...the journey is too long and it is just much too far." You... quietly discouraged trips from Ball-descendants(and your own family) to Seir after you learned that their king is a madman and a heretic, but not wishing to share that tidbit(as the Great Cities are supposed to be morally proper and it is... distasteful to insult them and shameful to acknowledge that apparently one of them has been heretical for generations?) so you just lied about how far away it was, its not like anyone really knows anyway, well almost no one does. And it IS very, very, very far, you simply exaggerated it further. With Seir off the table it looks like Shalman went some place else to pursue this archerous-dreams and... broke into Hadad's home?

1. What do you want to do?
A. Regardless of what you plan to do with Shalman, you do want to meet with Hadad anyway.
B. A., but you do want to buy Shalman out of bondage. Your knowledge of the Old Tales and the Sacred Law unrivaled by anyone else in your group but Gareb and superior to his as well. Come up with some suitably appropriate example on why its okay for you, the familly patriarch to help your great-great-grandkid on his Manhood trial, or why this does not count as helping. Esher, Ophatz and Urgun will readily accept whatever excuse you give and if Gareb does not buy it you are certain he won't say anything to them. Though he may respect you a little less for doing so?

C. Continue on your journey to Baitel.

D. Grab Shalman and force him to come with you. Continue on your journey to Baitel. No man of Kavodel, let alone one of YOUR family is going be a bloody slave!

E. Something else. Fill in.

You can freely talk with Shalman or your companions. Since it was asked, the next Jubilee is in less than seven years.

[...]

Discord Link if you want to join us to chat: https://discord.gg/SPZ7Hyn

[...]

Travic's Awesome Index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307&pagenumber=4080&perpage=40#post473373440

In the highly unlikely event that SA implodes and Discord also goes down, we will meet on IRC, the channel #madgod on synirc.net. If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 16, 2021

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
A He's on his manhood trial, he needs to figure a way out of this mess on his own. We probably should see if we can do something about the sign though.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Bah, bit of a wasted show.

Tell Shalman to go reset the targets, and then go get a better slave who'd be worth impressing.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Didn't the last slave say he got to keep the silver from people who failed the test?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
A. He's on his own.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
A

Bit of a conundrum...I am leaning towards leaving him to figure it out for himself. Being a slave though...blah. Let's talk to Hadad. I don't think he'll be upset to see an archer of our skill.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A for now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A Dude is in a hilarious amount of denial about his situation

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

A

I want to find out how long this might be, but hey he's living his best life. Well. He's living a life he's mindfully chosen.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

dyzzy posted:

A Dude is in a hilarious amount of denial about his situation

Can't really blame him. He's on his manhood trail and being confronted by the leaders of his family about why the hell he's a slave and how badly he screwed up. I'm sure he knows how screwed he is.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If we have to, we may just have to hold a personal Archery Training Camp for all our young male descendants every few years so that people don't get the idiot idea that they need to travel to Baital to ask incredibly crotchety thousand year olds to tutor them.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Shalman, how much was your fine, how much do you still owe, and how long is it going to take you to work it off?
Have you seen anyone else from home since you have been here?
How long did it take you to carve that sign?
Has anyone passed the test since you have been here? How often do people take it?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

A

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shalman, why weren't you permitted to take the test?

Has your master had any non-Zepathan vistors? How many Zepathans have you turned away?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Gareb, what should we ask to replace this clearly very necessary sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
A. " Tell your master his best friend Enkidel is here to brighten up his day!" :enkidel: