Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Casnorf posted:

You have more support than you can possibly know. All you, or anyone, need do is ask.

This. I don’t post a lot, but I know what it’s like to lose a loved one. More people care about you than you probably know. ❤️

e: Echoing someone else - if your Mom had a charitable cause that was special to her, I’d throw a couple bucks to them. But please don’t feel pressured to set something up, you just take care of you right now.

Azathoth Prime fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

The Perfect Element posted:

drat, the acid - spitting worms section of Metro is one of the most profoundly unenjoyable and frustrating sections of game I've played for a long long time. I ended up using a tactic of taking off my gasmask when I knew I was gonna encounter one, cos otherwise inevitably it would spit in my face and break my mask and I'd have to start all over again and the save point was all the way back THERE you mother fucker?!

Thankfully the bit immediately afterwards is really cool and engrossing, so I forgive this stupid game I guess.

Edit : actually I take it back, this next section with the giant apes is loving infuriating as well.

I think that is pretty much the end of the game, so hang in there.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yup, it's over. I don't think I've ever played a game which manages to be so impressive and bafflingly flawed at the same time.

There were times when the lighting, graphics and atmosphere just clicked, and that makes me really excited about what other developers will be able to do with this console.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ZeeBoi posted:

no trophy for 100%ing sidequests is unacceptable :argh:

To truly 100% Nier Replicant, you have to play through FFXIV until you're level 80, finish the main storyline, and then do the Nier-related raids.

I finished Ratchet and Clank last night. What a fantastic game that was! It did not feel quite as large and polished and full-featured as, say, Mario Odyssey, but it was definitely an A- to Odyssey's A+. Just a great planet-hopping sci-fi adventure (I think it succeeded at this better than Outer Worlds or Borderlands or almost anything else I can think of) in a really fun cartoon universe. I've never played an R&C game before, but I kept having some sort of nostalgia imagining how cool it would have been to be a kid growing up with the franchise.

Not sure if I'm gonna play around in New Game+ for a bit or start on something new. Got Spiderman and Sackboy with the PS5 bundle, and also Detroit: Become Human that I meant to play last year but never did.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Spider-Man is probably a solid followup to R&C, same dev and it also has a 60fps/RT mode.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

No need to respond to this or anything but I just want to thank the thread for the kind comments about the situation with my mom and all. It means a lot to me and really helped when I got up this morning. Isn’t going to be easy but every little thing helps :love:

DQXI chat: lol everyone in Hotto speaks in haiku, that rules. I think I’m about to get my third party member so that’s cool. The game definitely starts opening up as you gather your party. I can tell the main character is the blank slate for you to see the game through and the party is the real character of the story. It’s so nice walking around these towns and talking to people. In most games I wouldn’t care enough to but here it feels like every npc has a little something extra to flesh out the world.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
That's the Dragon Quest mentality. It's an alternate reality you can escape to at any time, one that always welcomes you and never minds if you've taken a break. It's grand and straightforward and as comfortable as your favorite jeans or a big honkin' lasagna. You can tell because it gives you a quick recap when you load the game -- nothing about it should take you out of your comfort zone and that's awesome. There's a reason it and Doom and Diablo are my three main collections.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In my experience Doom isn’t a comfy game. But I suck at games.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Rinkles posted:

In my experience Doom isn’t a comfy game. But I suck at games.

The early ones, Doom and Doom ][, are like re-reading Niven novels.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

There once was a fish from the seas
Who loved video games such as these:
Diablos and Dooms
Dragon Quests also, too
You could say that fish just wants the D's

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Casnorf posted:

That's the Dragon Quest mentality. It's an alternate reality you can escape to at any time, one that always welcomes you and never minds if you've taken a break. It's grand and straightforward and as comfortable as your favorite jeans or a big honkin' lasagna. You can tell because it gives you a quick recap when you load the game -- nothing about it should take you out of your comfort zone and that's awesome. There's a reason it and Doom and Diablo are my three main collections.

It’s so so SO good at that. It’s very player friendly. It never feels like it’s trying to jerk me around or frustrate me or anything. The recaps when you load are amazing, I really wish more games did that. It does seem like a very DQ thing though. Like welcome back to your little other world! Here’s a friendly reminder of what happened last night!

Also fwiw I’m really engaged with the story too. It’s nothing like groundbreaking or whatever but who cares. I certainly don’t. Nice 50/50 split of cozy to compelling. Some strong characters with great personalities really carry it along.

Also lol some of the voice acting really does conjure up memories of 90s dbz or similar dubbed anime. This isn’t a complaint. It’s just as comforting as the rest of the game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Baggot posted:

There once was a fish from the seas
Who loved video games such as these:
Diablos and Dooms
Dragon Quests also, too
You could say that fish just wants the D's

You mighta discovered the key
In art and in philosophy
I've read my Dumas
Admired Degas
And Duchamp and Descartes and Dali

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well someone broke into my apartment and stole my PS5 so I guess i'll get one again at some point. I'm moving in october so I guess i'll wait till then, and then i'll have to actually try to get one purchased.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eonwe posted:

well someone broke into my apartment and stole my PS5 so I guess i'll get one again at some point. I'm moving in october so I guess i'll wait till then, and then i'll have to actually try to get one purchased.

Im sorry to hear this

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

eonwe posted:

Ugh really sorry to hear that. I love people but god drat people can be such shits. Looking forward to you getting a new one though, hopefully they’re easier to get by then.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

eonwe posted:

You know, if you have apartment insurance you can probably make a claim and get the PS5 money back. If you do get that chunk of change, I'm sure some goon will be able to hook you up. There's already a few people in this thread selling PS5's at cost+shipping, so I'm sure there will be more in October.

Either way though, that is super lovely and I'm glad you're getting out of that area.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ubisoft should make a sequel to child of light and it should push the ps5 to its graphical limits

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Soysaucebeast posted:

You know, if you have apartment insurance you can probably make a claim and get the PS5 money back. If you do get that chunk of change, I'm sure some goon will be able to hook you up. There's already a few people in this thread selling PS5's at cost+shipping, so I'm sure there will be more in October.

Either way though, that is super lovely and I'm glad you're getting out of that area.

This 100 percent. As long as you have a recent receipt you can make a claim though if you have a photo of the ps5 in your apartment you'll have a higher chance of payout. I go through my stuff and take pictures for insurance just in case.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I submitted a claim but I have a $250 deductible, lmao. Oh well. But yes, I may take a goon up on hooking me up and sending them the money + shipping! Good idea.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

eonwe posted:

Yeah I submitted a claim but I have a $250 deductible, lmao. Oh well. But yes, I may take a goon up on hooking me up and sending them the money + shipping! Good idea.

That's what I did and my PS5 and I are having a great evening

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Fuckin finally finished Returnal. Felt good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hell yeah

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have a recommendation for nonviolent games that are fun for an adult to play but would be suitable for children (age 4-ish) to watch? I’m digging Miles Morales right now but I’d rather not have my daughter watch me totally-not-murder a million goons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for nonviolent games that are fun for an adult to play but would be suitable for children (age 4-ish) to watch? I’m digging Miles Morales right now but I’d rather not have my daughter watch me totally-not-murder a million goons.

rift apart was made for this

there's also the pathless, 90% of which is just bounding through the environment

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arcturas posted:

Chicory only has boss fights but they are rare and the rest is painting and cute animals

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arcturas posted:

It's like a challenge to take out enemies only by webbing them to stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Arcturas posted:

If you all dig stuff like Animal Crossing check out Cozy Grove. It’s a little rough around the edges but really charming and fun. Doesn’t feel like something you have to commit to daily or anything either, super casual friendly.

Seconding Chicory, it’s such a nice game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:blastu: Abyss Watchers :allears:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jose Oquendo posted:

Fuckin finally finished Returnal. Felt good.

Hey, me too. Did you get the secret ending?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Arcturas posted:

What do you like playing? If you're looking for action, violence is kind of the default lens through which we view these things, but the PS4 library in particular is chock-full of awesome stuff that a kid can both enjoy and participate with. I'm thinking here of stuff like The Witness or Grim Fandango...heck, Day of the Tentacle is probably one of the funniest games ever made and is very specifically family friendly. I've been playing While True: Learn() which teaches machine learning by trying to make a cat translator. And if you slept on The Unfinished Swan definitely take a glance. And Gorogoa.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Arcturas posted:

Seconding the Ratchet and Clank recommendation. There's a lot of shooting but it's all robots and monsters, and it's set in this glorious and funny cartoon universe that seems like it was ripped directly from a Saturday morning cartoon. I was just posting the other day about how cool it would be to experience it as a child.

It's also a really good game, too!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Day of the Tentacle has a lot of sexual harassment jokes

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Kids love Wattam and Untitled Goose Game, play those with her

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Oh, or Bugsnax! I bought it last night and played through the first hour or so, and it's also a cute little cartoon adventure that would appeal to young kids. Not as big or polished or intense as something like R&C though, obviously, but the main mechanics are based around catching bugs instead of shooting things, if you'd prefer to stay away from even cartoony violence.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's a 90's Chuck Jones cartoon; most of that will fly over a kid's head and that doesn't change how funny the rest of the game is. "...Step three: GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!"
The bit in the title sequence when the cow just nopes out of the adventure gets me every time.

hey did you grow up with The Brave Little Toaster and Return To Oz and The Point?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The brave little toaster is my spirit animal

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

John Wick of Dogs posted:

GOTY!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Casnorf posted:

It's a 90's Chuck Jones cartoon; most of that will fly over a kid's head and that doesn't change how funny the rest of the game is. "...Step three: GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!"
The bit in the title sequence when the cow just nopes out of the adventure gets me every time.

hey did you grow up with The Brave Little Toaster and Return To Oz and The Point?

I grew up with Brave Little Toaster but never saw Return to Oz. I don't even know what the point is

EDIT: Apparently it's an animated TV movie based on a Harry Nilsson album?? Weird

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Oh, or Bugsnax! I bought it last night and played through the first hour or so, and it's also a cute little cartoon adventure that would appeal to young kids. Not as big or polished or intense as something like R&C though, obviously, but the main mechanics are based around catching bugs instead of shooting things, if you'd prefer to stay away from even cartoony violence.

depending on how much "disturbing content" the kid is okay with, BugSnax gets pretty "what the gently caress" at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I grew up with Brave Little Toaster but never saw Return to Oz. I don't even know what the point is

EDIT: Apparently it's an animated TV movie based on a Harry Nilsson album?? Weird

It’s definitely not an animated movie. Return to Oz is great.