Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Nice, Cringer talks. He didn't in the early aughts reboot (I guess with Stinkor and Moss Man around a talking tiger was seen as too "out there").

And he’s voiced by Stephen Root no less (Bill from King of the Hill)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Nice, Cringer talks. He didn't in the early aughts reboot (I guess with Stinkor and Moss Man around a talking tiger was seen as too "out there").

A weird line to draw when Scooby Doo and Garfield were already a thing

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Skeletor didn't nya, not going to watch.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

RareAcumen posted:

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated felt the need to answer the question "Why is it that Scooby can talk?" I still think that was a weird choice for the show to make, but by that point in the second season, I guess I understand why they did.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ironslave posted:

Skeletor didn't nya, not going to watch.

To be fair, there’s still plenty of time for them to throw one in (and if not there’s still another He-Man series in the pipe later on)

I forget, did he ever say “nya” in the 2002 series either?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 3, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

The 00s He-Man was trying to go for a more serious tone, which I guess precluded a talking tiger.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ll give you two guesses about what most of the comments below the He-man video are full of.

If you guessed bitter incel gen-xers crying about how Teela has been turned into a man, Adam was feminized and the entire show is a bait and switch that will be about SJWs and Wokeness, you win the prize (so about par for the course honestly)

Why is it that a lot of this fanbase sees the original show as this holy text that cannot be altered rather than the goofy toy commercial it really was? Same goes for She-Ra for that matter (which I question whether half of the people complaining even WATCHED when they were a kid).

Now granted, the latter show does have its share of legitimate problems (such as the story kind of falling apart during the final season and Catra’s somewhat rushed redemption arc that sort of brushes aside all the genuinely horrible things she did over the course of the series) but changing/updating a few designs/personalities and giving characters more agency and development ain’t one of them in my opinion.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 3, 2021

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They don't really care about the original cartoons, they're just mad at how society and the dialogue around race, gender, and sex is changing around them and the cartoons being redesigned from the originals is an easy candy-colored example to point to.

Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't nearly so much vocal outrage over, say, the Ducktales reboot giving female characters expanded roles or making Fenton explicitly Latino because they weren't humans and you couldn't point to the differences as easily. And I'd say way more people were fans of the original Ducktales and genuinely like it as adults than ever cared about He-Man.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, sometimes change is a good thing (like in the aforementioned Ducktales reboot where they gave the triplets actual personalities/unique voices and turned Webby from a precocious little girl to a fusion of the Pines twins from Gravity Falls).

Off the subject, the Revelation tie-in comic is out this coming week, but already a big scene has leaked

Our first full glimpse of King Greyskull

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/big-spoiler-for-next-weeks-masters-of-the-universe-revelation/

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

There's a few people at my local comic shop who complain about the new Teela. I always point out that they made her look more like Gina Carano, and they haven't figured out how to criticize Teela's physique without also criticizing Gina Carano. I doubt that I've changed any minds, but they have stopped talking to me so I'm counting it as a win.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’ll give you two guesses about what most of the comments below the He-man video are full of.

If you guessed bitter incel gen-xers crying about how Teela has been turned into a man, Adam was feminized and the entire show is a bait and switch that will be about SJWs and Wokeness, you win the prize (so about par for the course honestly)

Why is it that a lot of this fanbase sees the original show as this holy text that cannot be altered rather than the goofy toy commercial it really was? Same goes for She-Ra for that matter (which I question whether half of the people complaining even WATCHED when they were a kid).

Now granted, the latter show does have its share of legitimate problems (such as the story kind of falling apart during the final season and Catra’s somewhat rushed redemption arc that sort of brushes aside all the genuinely horrible things she did over the course of the series) but changing/updating a few designs/personalities and giving characters more agency and development ain’t one of them in my opinion.

Most of them don't care and don't need to to make it another martyr to rally around. 'Change bad' is about as far as they think about any of this stuff before they make 5 hours of video footage complaining about it everyday.

People who're weird about whatever they think feminism or wokeness is will take any opportunity to be weird about whatever feminism or wokeness means in their head. From the change in lightbulb design to how men and women MUST be standing or leaning at any given time, to the storyline at Medical Times, potential to get steaming mad at anything are endless!

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Larryb posted:

To be fair, there’s still plenty of time for them to throw one in (and if not there’s still another He-Man series in the pipe later on)

I forget, did he ever say “nya” in the 2002 series either?

I don't think he did, and that's why I didn't watch it.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Since this looks like it is going to be focused on Tella and the Sorceress I wonder if they got JM Straczynski to write an episode. He wrote the episode that went into the Sorcesress's back story.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

The silly part is, as Smith points out, all the things he did with the show are present in the original program. Prince Adam might not have had a slim physique, but he wore a pink shirt the whole time and the original creators pointed out in that Netflix show about toys (Toys That Made Us I think) that they wanted Prince Adam, and He-Man generally to be a different type of hero, who was more emotionally aware etc. Adam looks different, but he always should have frankly, rather than just having the same physique as He-Man for no reason. Teela barely looks different in armor either; she just no longer has cleavage. That's basically it.

side_burned posted:

Since this looks like it is going to be focused on Tella and the Sorceress I wonder if they got JM Straczynski to write an episode. He wrote the episode that went into the Sorcesress's back story.

Smith wrote a few episodes, Bernardin wrote at least one (I think more) and he's talked about and had on at least 3 other writers as guests for a few minutes in various podcasts, so I doubt Straczynski was a writer since I'm pretty sure it's only 10 or 12 episodes long.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

tsob posted:

Adam looks different, but he always should have frankly, rather than just having the same physique as He-Man for no reason.

Wasn't the reason that it was cheaper to animate and they only needed one body type for both action figures?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Wasn't the reason that it was cheaper to animate and they only needed one body type for both action figures?
I wouldn't be surprised. That whole Toys That Made Us episode revolves around increasingly blown-up claims to get the toys greenlit (Oh, yeah, of course we have a LIMITED ISSUE COLLECTOR'S EDITION comic it's, uh, packed in with every figure! Cartoon series? We're writing the pilot right now!)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. That whole Toys That Made Us episode revolves around increasingly blown-up claims to get the toys greenlit (Oh, yeah, of course we have a LIMITED ISSUE COLLECTOR'S EDITION comic it's, uh, packed in with every figure! Cartoon series? We're writing the pilot right now!)

I still love Battle Cat is thanks to them already having an unrelated tiger toy that would just so happen to be usable as a mount for the line.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The CGI Netflix show was mentioned a little in this month's edition of SFX Magazine:

-There will be a lot of easter eggs to every possible tie-in with the franchise, including Revelation, with 'subtle nods' to every series prior.

-A 'Day One' Prince Adam. Entirely different from what we've seen before

-The series will be a coming-of-age tale, with the characters on journeys of personal discovery and 'earning' new powers and their titles as Masters

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Dawgstar posted:

I still love Battle Cat is thanks to them already having an unrelated tiger toy that would just so happen to be usable as a mount for the line.

"Put a loving saddle on it" is the best line from that show.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 16, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

The CGI Netflix show was mentioned a little in this month's edition of SFX Magazine:

-There will be a lot of easter eggs to every possible tie-in with the franchise, including Revelation, with 'subtle nods' to every series prior.

-A 'Day One' Prince Adam. Entirely different from what we've seen before

-The series will be a coming-of-age tale, with the characters on journeys of personal discovery and 'earning' new powers and their titles as Masters

Is this one of those 60 episode deals, where Netflix just staggers it out across however many seasons they want? The weird "season 2 part 1" stuff can not die in a fire fast enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

Is this one of those 60 episode deals, where Netflix just staggers it out across however many seasons they want? The weird "season 2 part 1" stuff can not die in a fire fast enough.

I don’t think that’s been made clear yet but from what I’ve been hearing Revelation is just a short little mini-series while this is the main event. As a result I’m guessing we’ll get more than one season out of it like SPoP did.

The former comes out pretty soon if I recall correctly so I’m guessing more info on the CGI series is going to start trickling out before too much longer now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the reboot show, this image just leaked:

Based on her design I’m guessing this is the new version of the Sorceress

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

I don’t think that’s been made clear yet but from what I’ve been hearing Revelation is just a short little mini-series while this is the main event. As a result I’m guessing we’ll get more than one season out of it like SPoP did.

The former comes out pretty soon if I recall correctly so I’m guessing more info on the CGI series is going to start trickling out before too much longer now.

Revelations starts next Friday i.e. the 23rd of July. Kevin Smith is hosting a launch party for it at his New Jersey shop that'll be giving away things to kids according to his podcast, if anyone here lives in the area and cares. Also, he noted that he's after recording some commentary tracks for every episode with the writer for that episode, and he's going to put them up on YouTube the week after if I recall, so people can sync them up while playing the episodes if they want some inside info. He is the sole commentator for the first episode, then talks with the writer for each episode after that. As is, the first part is only 5 episodes, but each writer wrote one episode in that bunch from what he's said.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why are the two parts of Revelation apparently several months apart from one another?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No idea. At a guess it's to get something out there a bit faster, rather than waiting another 6 months for it all to release. Plus, if you release it in two waves that two bumps in public awareness, rather than one. Amazon, Disney+ etc going for one episode a week rather than dumping it all at once is probably better for that, but Netflix are basically known for their dump strategy at this point, so they may be too committed to change for now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why are the two parts of Revelation apparently several months apart from one another?

Several several months, yeah. Last I heard they were looking at the second set of five episodes coming out next year.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

No idea. At a guess it's to get something out there a bit faster, rather than waiting another 6 months for it all to release. Plus, if you release it in two waves that two bumps in public awareness, rather than one. Amazon, Disney+ etc going for one episode a week rather than dumping it all at once is probably better for that, but Netflix are basically known for their dump strategy at this point, so they may be too committed to change for now.

Makes sense, though there is still a second He-Man series coming eventually so I’m not sure how it’s all going to work (like if it’ll be out/still going by the time the last half of Revelation hits). We’ll see I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reviews are out for He-Man Revelation and…it’s certainly a thing:

(MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD)

Adam dies. Twice. First in the opening episode after the power sword breaks, the second is when he returns in episode five, having left the Preternian afterlife to reclaim the sword after Roboto re-forges it. Skeletor, who has also been absent since episode one (save for flashbacks), suddenly comes out of hiding just as Adam is about to transform into He-Man and skewers him, claiming the sword as his own and becoming a Master of the Universe...the Skelegod

Orko, who the reviews claim has the most surprisingly fleshed out story, sacrifices himself in episode four

Edit: Another review, apparently there’s also some mild swearing and gruesome moments inspired by Akira:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/fantasy/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-review/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 21, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Yeah that all sounds like Kevin Smith alright.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury Hat posted:

They don't really care about the original cartoons, they're just mad at how society and the dialogue around race, gender, and sex is changing around them and the cartoons being redesigned from the originals is an easy candy-colored example to point to.

Like, correct me if I'm wrong, but there wasn't nearly so much vocal outrage over, say, the Ducktales reboot giving female characters expanded roles or making Fenton explicitly Latino because they weren't humans and you couldn't point to the differences as easily. And I'd say way more people were fans of the original Ducktales and genuinely like it as adults than ever cared about He-Man.

I wont name the youtube channels since goons in other threads get offended but I assume since I watched the he man trailer and they remix of "I need a hero" I got blasted with 2 "nerd outrage channels" in my recomended page.

Kevin Smith just loving gave these rear end in a top hat everything they wanted which is engagement and youtube bucks.

The dream works she ra show. honestly there are parts of it that resonate with me, namely the deeper issues between catra adora and shadwo weaver, and double trouble was just fun!

Other stuff didnt really speak to me and the ending felt rushed. but still I havent rewatched the (and dont really plan on going back ether) and I still think it had depth.

I m gonna watch the revelation show but all the loving screeching by so called fans of the original show (which come on it wasnt that good) and lets face it the original fans are like late 30's early 40's Why are they crying about this?

I m almost want some stupid grifting media company to come out and say "hey were gonna give you what you say you want here is childrens cartoon that checks off all your complants"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m probably going to give Revelation a try but to be honest I’m more looking forward to the CGI reboot (which sounds promising from what little we know so far).

Speaking of which, the former comes out today

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
it somehow manages to be more of toy commercial than the original series. Lots of character deaths to make it seem edgy. It gets better towards the end of the second episode when the main plot is introduced but eh.

Also, and this is a weird complaint. Like all the women are ripped. That's an improvement over traditional female character design, but it's not the many different body types of She-Ra. It's like the lady version of the Arkham games where every guy is just a giant brick wall of meat.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t gotten around to watching it yet but two questions:

1: Are there still lighthearted moments here and there like there have been in every other series in this franchise?

2: Does Skeletor say “nya” at any point?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Larryb posted:

1: Are there still lighthearted moments here and there like there have been in every other series in this franchise?

In the second episode some characters retrieve a magic glove for a temple and the cleric tells them without the glove there the people don't feel good, a female character remarks "no glove, no love"

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Revelation is decent. Thankfully it doesn't go full edgey or anything, nothing like "He-Man says 'gently caress!' now!" It does seem like a somewhat logical growth out of the original show, which works on one hand, but doesn't work on the other when some characters start dying soon after they appear.

Which seems like it should be a thing with a MOTU cast as large as it is, but when it just starts happening though, it feels odd, since like, shouldn't that have always been happening? It was like the jump from the original Transformers cartoon to the Movie, where suddenly all your old favs were killed to make way for new toys. This series does a much better job to more or less flesh out those deaths a bit more, but it still feels off.

Also I'm not too certain Adam will die from his wound, he wasn't dead at the end of the episode and him recovering in his base form and dealing with the fallout not as He-Man, seems like a good character beat going forward.

Also will need a bigger MOTU fan to lore dump the older age heroes who appear in Preturnia. I'm guessing they have a history in the line. I know He-Ro, Wun-dar (and his weird backstory) and Greyskull, but the others were new for me. Long haired Conan looking guy might have been inspired by MOTU's origins as a potential Conan line?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

1)Yes
2) No

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Disappointing (though I’m not sure if he did it in the 2002 series either to be fair)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the Conan looking guy is named Vikor, the He-Man of the north. Not sure if he appeared in the show/comics before though.

Edit: It seems he’s a concept drawn by Mark Taylor before He-Man became what he is now. He was there with Torak and Vykron, who basically all fused to become the He-Man we know and some love today.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2021

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
One of the characters in Preturnia looked to be Zodak/Zodac or similar in design too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished it, overall that was better than I expected it to be (enough to keep watching anyway). See you next year for Part 2 (unless the CG series comes out first that is).