Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus Christ does Evil Season 1 episode 4 go dark as hell

from a kid trying to poison his parents, attempting to drown his baby brother and then parents killing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Hughmoris posted:

Just watched the Black Monday pilot. After my recent Happy Endings rewatch, I think this might be right up my alley.

Black Monday is fun. I don't think it is a great show by any means....but it keeps a brisk pace and has a good cast. Doesn't take itself too seriously.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I liked everything about Devs apart from the title, really. The title made me think it was like a sitcom about software devs for way too long.

God, same. For the longest time I thought it would have to be some sort of navel-gazing silicon valley deal. Only gave it a watch after seeing it repeatedly recommended and ended up loving it.

The Grumbles posted:

I remember being bothered by this the first time round, but on the rewatch it was more apparent that a very small number of people have used Devs up to this point and seen their futures, and Lily's the first person to push through and do the opposite of what she's been shown - it's essentially because she's just watched what she's about to do, and also isn't a tech entrepreneur and fundamentally doesn't believe in the technology. The implication is that the two tech people who have glimpsed their futures are kind of zealots, and so they just don't have it in them to push through that barrier and do something else in the moment. . Like I don't think the ending is handled super elegantly, and part of why it feels like a cop-out is more the weird characterisation of the protagonist as an unpredictable wild child that isn't reflected in her performance . But man, what a beautiful ride up to that point. Just perfectly cast, perfectly paced, and stunning to look at/listen to.

Yeah, that was my take on it as well. It was purely a repudiation of the arrogance of the original developers. They were so enamored with their invention that they considered it flawless, that it never even occurred to them to try and counteract its predictions. Being able to break the prediction wasn't even something all too unique to the protagonist, anybody could have done it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire. It continues to be great, but man every one of the main characters who isn't Donna or Bosworth is a loving nightmare.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Trig Discipline posted:

Just finished season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire. It continues to be great, but man every one of the main characters who isn't Donna or Bosworth is a loving nightmare.

The best is yet to come.

I did not like Donna much at all at first but by the end she was one of my favorites. Hell I don't know who wasn't a favorite of mine to be honest. Except Tom Rendon- I hated that guy the first time I watched the series.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Finished Evil Season 1

:dogbutton:

Thank you to all people who raved about this show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Now watch Servant if you haven't already. And if you have, watch it again!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

isaboo posted:

Trying to decide between starting this or Mare of Easttown tonight

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

isaboo posted:

Yup watched it recently and LOVED IT

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Servant is amazing, though be aware that the quality suffers a little towards the back half of the second season, when covid started to impact the production.

Edit: oops. Then can I recommend Channel Zero and The Act? Both are anthology horror shows by Nick Antonsca and they're amazing. The Act has two more seasons planned, though each is going by an different name for some reason. One's gonna star Elizabeth Moss.

Evil season 2 Is also great. The elevator episode was loving fire.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 16, 2021

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Friday the 13th: the Series. I highly recommend it. I love this show, and rewatch it every few years. All the eps are on youtube. It's definitely dated, but fun. Often ridiculous (Amish trial by combat over a fire pit?), but there are some gruesome deaths, and the main cast gives pretty good performances. Quite a few guest roles of people who went on to bigger and better things. Even more fun to spot actors returning to play totally different characters, sometimes in the same season. Maybe they figured no one would notice? The variety of cursed artifacts they recover keep things interesting, although imo they rely too much on tying them to historical events/people.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Bit of a meta question here, but is there a decent blog, website, Youtube channel or something with like general recommendations, ratings or reviews of new series on all the streaming services? I mean yeah there's tons of cheaply made content aggretion sites that just drop a whole unfiltered list for each streaming service, but that's not what I'm looking for. This thread is great for discovering stuff, but it feels like there ought to be more than word of mouth for filtering through the mediocre stuff these days.

Mare of Easttown was really good but it made me crave more good whodunnit crime. Or just good anything, really.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Oenis posted:

Bit of a meta question here, but is there a decent blog, website, Youtube channel or something with like general recommendations, ratings or reviews of new series on all the streaming services? I mean yeah there's tons of cheaply made content aggretion sites that just drop a whole unfiltered list for each streaming service, but that's not what I'm looking for. This thread is great for discovering stuff, but it feels like there ought to be more than word of mouth for filtering through the mediocre stuff these days.

Mare of Easttown was really good but it made me crave more good whodunnit crime. Or just good anything, really.

I follow the AV Club on my RSS feed for this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I tend to use The Hollywood Reporter and RogerEbert.com for their television and streaming reviews. They cover more than the av club, and their overall quality of writing is higher.

(The AV Club is such a shadow of what it once was. Genuinely sad.)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AV Club from 2011-15 was so great and now it’s just so so terrible

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

AV Club from 2011-15 was so great and now it’s just so so terrible

Yeah there's still a bit of decent stuff there but holy crap the average quality level has plummeted.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've not seen a single new writer I've liked since LaToya Ferguson, and she doesn't even work there any more.

EDIT: wait, no, she does Lucifer still.

Now most of the writing is just 70% summary, 30% shallow observation, and 100% white noise.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
but enough about the something awful forums!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

but enough about the something awful forums!

YOU'RE SOMETHING AWFUL!

And I deserve to be a Fighting Mongoose too. Futurama is one of my favourite shows of all time. Easily the best animated show of all time.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RestingB1tchFace posted:

YOU'RE SOMETHING AWFUL!

And I deserve to be a Fighting Mongoose too. Futurama is one of my favourite shows of all time. Easily the best animated show of all time.

Shame that the revival episodes were too expensive to produce, and lead to stories which involved only few voice actors at a time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
and also were bad

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Der Kyhe posted:

Shame that the revival episodes were too expensive to produce, and lead to stories which involved only few voice actors at a time.

And the writing was... Bad.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Currently working my way through the various "Sharpe's" series via Britbox on Amazon Prime. Sean Bean is Richard Sharpe, a tough-rear end sergeant promoted to Lieutenant after saving a general's life.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Love that old show, it's so loving 90s. I still get a kick out of the grandiose Napoleonic drama interspersed with whaling electric guitar notes playing in the background.

Lots of great cameos too. I especially love early 90s Brian Cox, who looks exactly like 2021 Brian Cox.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Love that old show, it's so loving 90s. I still get a kick out of the grandiose Napoleonic drama interspersed with whaling electric guitar notes playing in the background.

Lots of great cameos too. I especially love early 90s Brian Cox, who looks exactly like 2021 Brian Cox.

I love this bit here from 3:13 - 5:31. Cox and Troughton's plotting against somebody who richly deserves such plotting.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finished binging and catching up on Black Monday. The show is fantastic, give it a shot, especially if you like Happy Endings (same creator).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Took two nights to watch Invincible. What a ride, even knowing a bit about the ending of the show through the memes.

Honestly, J. K. Simmons is a (deeply twisted) national treasure.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Der Kyhe posted:

Escobarbarian posted:

and also were bad

Hizawk posted:

And the writing was... Bad.

I reject the revival products. When I discuss Futurama in such high esteem....I ignore everything outside of the original five seasons.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Started 'Six Feet Under' and not sure if it's worth the time investment. Only four episodes in.....but it feels like a daytime soap. There's so many good shows on TV these days. Anyone want to convince me that it's worth sticking with?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Started 'Six Feet Under' and not sure if it's worth the time investment. Only four episodes in.....but it feels like a daytime soap. There's so many good shows on TV these days. Anyone want to convince me that it's worth sticking with?

Top 3 Series Finale of any TV show I've watched.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

It's a classic, though as with a lot of television it tends to become stronger over time, thanks to the accumulated history and character, rather than start that way. (This is particularly true of older shows, which tend to have less involved/flashy conceptual hooks at launch.)

It's a remarkably subtle and moving show, with a lot of clever insights about its characters, and excellent performances.

And the finale was so moving a friend cried until her nose bled and she had to go to hospital.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If it makes you feel better, I felt the same way and had to stop s2 ep 2. Apparently it ends really well.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

RestingB1tchFace posted:

If you're interested in the show's central themes - our relationship with death, grief and the rituals that surround them - I think it's really worth watching as it explores those themes better than anything else out there. The performances are just excellent from everyone in the central cast - especially Ruth, David and Nate - and it's generally very funny. I think the strength of the performances alone means its selling it short a little to call it a daytime soap.

It's a character study and not one of those shows where big crazy stuff is happening everywhere (although in one of the later series, they do introduce a couple of big crazy storylines, which feel out of place and are generally seen as the weakest parts of the series). But yeah, it's not quite a soap opera but it is about the characters, their relationships and their everyday struggles. It was one of the first series I can ever remember watching where the characters genuinely changed and grew over time. And it grapples with lots of big, serious, heavy concepts through out with a lot of nuance and depth. The whole thing's just incredibly thoughtful and moving, and you feel like you're exploring these big serious questions about grief and mortality along with the show. It doesn't feel like it ever talks down to its audience or shys away from really grappling with the subject matter - and still does so with a lot of warmth and humor.

I first watched it when I was about 18, and it was one of those pivotal works of fiction for me that really helped me think about a lot of heavy and difficult stuff. I revisited it about a year ago, and I think it absolutely holds up too. The characters are just so well-defined and relatable.
But yeah, if you don't feel invested in the characters or the themes it explores, maybe it's just not for you?

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 19, 2021

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I am a big fan of SFU, but I will be the first person to admit it doesn't hold up was well as other HBO shows from that timeframe (The Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood). Even when it originally aired (yes I did watch all of these when it originally aired and changed my user name on here on July 31, 2005 during the last season) SFU was never on the same of level as those prestige dramas, but still it was just a slight step below. During that timeframe I would say The Wire was the best show on TV, but SFU was my favorite. Also SFU was able at times to reach levels that were just as good or better than those prestige shows. The season finales for 2, 3, (I’m Sorry, I’m Lost is one of my all-time favorite episodes of TV), and 5 are just A+ TV.

That said I find saying it feels like 'a daytime soap' is disingenuous and it does a discredit to a show that was a trailblazer for several reasons. Still I understand where you are coming from. I tried to watch The Shield for the first time almost 18 years later and I didn't make it beyond the 2nd episode. I am sure back in 2002 I would have been hooked and a big fan, but the 2020 version of me no luck.

Edit: While I have watched a random episode here and there over the years (the reason I am able to say it doesn't hold up as well as others), I have never re-watched despite re-watching The Wire, The Sopranos, and most of Deadwood. Sometimes I feel a desire to do it, but I guess I am afraid the show's legacy would drop some in my mind if I did (I don't know the opposite might happen). While I would couldn't consider it a top 10 of all time, good chance it currently would be in my top 25.

Also I would say the only show that hit the same spots for me as SFU was Halt & Catch Fire, but I think I might consider Halt & Catch Fire a better show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 19, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nate fisher posted:

I tried to watch The Shield for the first time almost 18 years later and I didn't make it beyond the 2nd episode. I am sure back in 2002 I would have been hooked and a big fan, but the 2020 version of me no luck.

A lot of The Shield's first season never did much for me; certainly I don't think there's a good episode until the one with the cold open where a lady chucks pencils everywhere. Whenever I rewatch the show, I usually start around there.

I think it's episode six or seven, though I haven't watched the show in a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just watched the Shield cast reunion on Saturday and it made me want to rewatch the show but I am worried it hasn't aged well.

That cast a plus from beginning to end. A shame that Michael Jace turned into a murderer.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I just watched the Shield cast reunion on Saturday and it made me want to rewatch the show but I am worried it hasn't aged well.

That cast a plus from beginning to end. A shame that Michael Jace turned into a murderer.

Man was a lovely actor too. The character basically vanished into nothing because he objected to playing gay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah he wasn't great but it's a blemish on the otherwise perfect show.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

A lot of The Shield's first season never did much for me; certainly I don't think there's a good episode until the one with the cold open where a lady chucks pencils everywhere. Whenever I rewatch the show, I usually start around there.

I think it's episode six or seven, though I haven't watched the show in a while.

We did a Shield rewatch a year or so ago and found it held up well. And I'd still put it's ending on the very top tier. The last two or three episodes right down to the literal final scene are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Thanks for the recs on 'Six Feet Under'. No question....the acting is fantastic. Just haven't gotten into it yet. But I trust the TVIV crew. I'm going to see it though.