Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Where does selling the property you don’t own land on the good/bad spectrum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EL BROMANCE posted:

NFTs are pretty popular...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I continue to get spam texts addressing me by a name that isn't mine asking if I'm interested in selling a property I don't own.

I get those from time to time too and it kind of creeps me out. I'm not listing my house currently, have no idea who this person or what.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Since the Norton Lifelock thing didn't work on me, now I'm getting the "your Macafee/Mcafee" account will expire in 1, 2, or even 0 days scam.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Since the Norton Lifelock thing didn't work on me, now I'm getting the "your Macafee/Mcafee" account will expire in 1, 2, or even 0 days scam.

…good? Used to have to deal with MacOS McAfee at work and I’d joke that McAfee was snorting up my CPU cycles.

E: McAffee sounds like a McDonalds coffee drink with extra bath salts.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 10, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

I get those from time to time too and it kind of creeps me out. I'm not listing my house currently, have no idea who this person or what.

since property ownership is a matter of public record, its easy to compile big old lists of homeowners and hit them up with cheap inquiries about selling. 99.9% of people are going to tell you to gently caress off but getting a head start on the one person actually looking to sell makes the effort worthwhile. its not a scam really as much as it is just really aggressive questioning in a tight housing market. i get about one of these a week

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I continue to get spam texts addressing me by a name that isn't mine asking if I'm interested in selling a property I don't own.

I get these about once a week. I also get spam texts for job offers that I never applied for that say they saw my resume on a job board that I never posted my resume on.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EL BROMANCE posted:

Affluent suburb of DC. Not sure about the exact neighborhood. It's absolutely a hot market so I could understand anyone looking for investment properties getting creative, but I still have no idea how they got this name or number crossed with that address. I've had this phone number since before he owned the property.

Haven't gotten any job spam. Wonder when that will start.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

I get these about once a week. I also get spam texts for job offers that I never applied for that say they saw my resume on a job board that I never posted my resume on.

They're almost always MLM's or Direct Marketing. Let me guess, you'r really sharp and have just the skills to succeed at this position? Even though your resume probably has nothing to with sales?

EDIT:

So I received something from Amazon yesterday that I didn't order, wasn't charged for and has no message or anything with it saying who it's from. It was 2 battery powered camping lanterns which is bizarre because nobody I know would buy me that and I haven't been camping in 15 or 20 years? It DID have a gift receipt so...

Assuming Amazon just didn't gently caress up, my radar is kicking in a little. If it's a scam, are they waiting for me to redeem the gift receipt, confirm it's me or...? Am I over reacting and it's just a random thing? We received a $60 Dungeons and Dragons board game one time instead of whatever $10 thing we were charged for and that my ex wife was trying to buy so, even though she wanted to return it I decided we were keeping it.

I don't use Amazon much and my password is unique so...attempted scam or no?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 13, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Was the address your place...or just close enough to your address that the system/driver could have made a mistake?

Otherwise I'd contact customer support and talk to them

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Was the address your place...or just close enough to your address that the system/driver could have made a mistake?

Otherwise I'd contact customer support and talk to them

Mine. Addressed to me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

They're almost always MLM's or Direct Marketing. Let me guess, you'r really sharp and have just the skills to succeed at this position? Even though your resume probably has nothing to with sales?

EDIT:

So I received something from Amazon yesterday that I didn't order, wasn't charged for and has no message or anything with it saying who it's from. It was 2 battery powered camping lanterns which is bizarre because nobody I know would buy me that and I haven't been camping in 15 or 20 years? It DID have a gift receipt so...

Assuming Amazon just didn't gently caress up, my radar is kicking in a little. If it's a scam, are they waiting for me to redeem the gift receipt, confirm it's me or...? Am I over reacting and it's just a random thing? We received a $60 Dungeons and Dragons board game one time instead of whatever $10 thing we were charged for and that my ex wife was trying to buy so, even though she wanted to return it I decided we were keeping it.

I don't use Amazon much and my password is unique so...attempted scam or no?

Have you bought anything else from another seller on the internet? It's not uncommon for sellers on platforms such as eBay, Walmart, Amazon itself, etc. to do some arbitrage and simply order from another platform and have it shipped to you. Sometimes they mess up; I had ordered a commodity item off Amazon and a few days later got a can of Pringles shipped from Walmart with a name I didn't recognize but sent to my address. Contacted Walmart, they said to keep the chips, and a few days later the item I ordered from Amazon showed up from Walmart with a receipt bearing the same name and my address. I guess the Pringles were a mistake.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If it looks like a relatively cheap item it might be a review scam. Companies order something cheap to a random's address and then write a 5 star review. Amazon calls this brushing

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/amazon-scam-brushing-warning-deliveries-you-didnt-order/.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Red Oktober posted:

If it looks like a relatively cheap item it might be a review scam. Companies order something cheap to a random's address and then write a 5 star review. Amazon calls this brushing

https://clark.com/shopping-retail/amazon-scam-brushing-warning-deliveries-you-didnt-order/.

If there some way to contact these guys and get them to send me stuff I didn't order? I don't give a poo poo, Amazon's terrible anyway why do I care if their broken review system gets broken. Worst case they send me trash, best car I get something either useful or that I can take apart for bits.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Item I received was about 15 bux. I'm hesitant to take any action other than keeping an eye on my card and my account. I don't want to verify the delivery/purchase - if that makes sense

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I wouldn't even bother, that's in the dollar range where even if you did personally purchase and then decide to return it, Amazon would most likely just refund you and not even bother making you return the item.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Turns out my step father sent them to me for some reason and sent some to my son too. My boy saw them on a table and said "grandpop got me some of those too". No reason why and nothing in the delivery said who it was from. I suppose they might come in handy next time another hurricane hits me. Sooo... month or so.

I was only worried because nothing in the package said who sent it and I've heard of scammers doing "feelers" or whatever you want to call it where they try a really cheap scam in order to validate something else.

I got a call once from my credit card company asking me about 2 or 3 dollar charges from some gas station 150 miles south in Orlando and I guess it's some weird test to see if the card is valid (?) and wondered if this wasn't some similar thing only with Amazon.

Carry on

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes small charges in gas stations is the go to test for cloned cards.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BiggerBoat posted:

Turns out my step father sent them to me for some reason and sent some to my son too. My boy saw them on a table and said "grandpop got me some of those too". No reason why and nothing in the delivery said who it was from. I suppose they might come in handy next time another hurricane hits me. Sooo... month or so.

I was only worried because nothing in the package said who sent it and I've heard of scammers doing "feelers" or whatever you want to call it where they try a really cheap scam in order to validate something else.

I got a call once from my credit card company asking me about 2 or 3 dollar charges from some gas station 150 miles south in Orlando and I guess it's some weird test to see if the card is valid (?) and wondered if this wasn't some similar thing only with Amazon.

Carry on

A similar thing happened to my friend the other week. A mysterious package arrived for her with no indication of the sender except a PO box in California. Googling that address turned up a bunch of complaints related to fulfillment companies using it for shipping. We were all prepared to write it off as some kind of scam until another friend in the group chat chimed in and said "oh yeah that was me, I ordered a gift for myself and filled out your address because I was originally thinking of a gift for you".

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Hey remember how last year all those people got unsolicited seeds from China as part of a brushing scam? Turns out it was not in fact a weird brushing scam.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

Hey remember how last year all those people got unsolicited seeds from China as part of a brushing scam? Turns out it was not in fact a weird brushing scam.

gently caress that article. Had to scroll through 90% of it to get to the one relevant paragraph.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Man gently caress you both.

People ordered seeds and forgot about them because it took months to arrive.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

StormDrain posted:

Thanks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StormDrain posted:

And the weird labeling to evade customs didn't help things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn't heard the story so I didn't mind the long winded article, especially as it did something I always enjoy: pointing out that people as a whole are just loving dumb.

Shout out to the person in the gifting group who said they wanted a big garden and then couldn't understand why they received seeds.
Shout out to the lady who bought "100 clematis-vine seeds from zhang-yubryy for $1.53, and 25 wisteria seeds from DIANHzu1" who didn't think she'd ordered anything from China.

These people vote and are on juries.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hadn't heard the story so I didn't mind the long winded article, especially as it did something I always enjoy: pointing out that people as a whole are just loving dumb.

Shout out to the person in the gifting group who said they wanted a big garden and then couldn't understand why they received seeds.
Shout out to the lady who bought "100 clematis-vine seeds from zhang-yubryy for $1.53, and 25 wisteria seeds from DIANHzu1" who didn't think she'd ordered anything from China.

These people vote (which doesn't matter) and are the only ones allowed on juries.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

StormDrain posted:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Who gets drunk and orders seeds on the internet and forgets about it when I get drunk and order stuff it’s cool stuff like stand up arcade games or guns or dildos.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Look at this guy right here who doesn't have a garden that makes their neighbors both astonished and jealous. Lol, just lol, at your sad demense

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

bird with big dick posted:

Who gets drunk and orders seeds on the internet and forgets about it when I get drunk and order stuff it’s cool stuff like stand up arcade games or guns or dildos.

Start ordering your liquor from China too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Isn't it hella illegal to just order seeds from abroad anyway?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

it depends. Some seeds do require an import license, others don't. If they don't, they do need to be correctly labeled with the scientific name and quantity of plants, along with a phytosanitary certificate that the seeds/plants are free of pests and diseases.

soooooo technically not illegal, anyone you'd actually cheaply try to import seeds from via china has a 0% chance of actually following the rules so practically yes

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, to be fair, if I ordered 200 morning glory seeds from a business called The Cottage Garden that claimed to be based in Mississippi in March and then got a package of 500 seeds that were obviously not morning glory seeds from a Kazakhstan business with a totally different name in July, and the package was labeled “Stud Earrings,” I might not associate those two events, either.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

StormDrain posted:

I ordered a couple of flashlights off Ali Express and forgot about it for 6 months until I got a random package from China on my doorstep.

Good flashlights though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AlbieQuirky posted:

I mean, to be fair, if I ordered 200 morning glory seeds from a business called The Cottage Garden that claimed to be based in Mississippi in March and then got a package of 500 seeds that were obviously not morning glory seeds from a Kazakhstan business with a totally different name in July, and the package was labeled “Stud Earrings,” I might not associate those two events, either.
ordered morning glory, got stud, what's the problem here :wink:

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

My favorite part of that stupid article is that one of the companies is literally named PPYPYPYPYPZ or whatever, checks out AMZN says

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

This is what most of the etsy stores are doing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Saw a guy in a tourist area walking around holding a $100 bill and I think a credit card in front of his face I think trying to entice people. What kind of scam was that? I’m guessing something with prepaid credit cards?

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Saw a guy in a tourist area walking around holding a $100 bill and I think a credit card in front of his face I think trying to entice people. What kind of scam was that? I’m guessing something with prepaid credit cards?

Just a tourist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can someone tell me about the scam that some guy on kijiji is trying to run on me?

Details:

I'm selling an old iMac on kijiji for $350. Someone ostensibly from Saskatoon (I'm in Alberta) messaged me and asked me to hold onto it, saying he'll be moving to my city in a few weeks, and in the initial message said he'll even pay $50 extra for the hassle of me holding onto it. No alarm bells are going off at this point.

Next message he says he wants to instruct "his people" to send a certified cheque for $400 to me this week. Okay... I'm still listening but his broken english and strange addition of some kind of agency in charge of the money are starting to make me question this transaction. Whatever, nobody else seems interested in it so I'll see where this goes. I reply with my work address and tell him to send away.

The next message was a huge loving wall of text to say that the person in charge of the money "accidentally" sent me a certified cheque for something like $3850, and he's now asking me to cash it, remove my portion, and then somehow transfer the rest of that money to the company in charge of his move from Saskatoon to Alberta in a few weeks. Oh and he'll even bump my portion up by $100 to an even $500.

At this point I'm 9000% sure this is a scam, but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how it plays out from here if I keep agreeing to his continually increasing demands.

So what's the con here? I get a "certified cheque" for ~$4k, cash it, and what happens from there?

Edit: I just told a coworker about this and it turns out he had been contacted by the same number about a week ago, trying the exact same scam, in all the exact same copy+paste wording. He told him off, but I haven't yet. Now to turn this into a scamming the scammer situation. :q:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 22, 2021