Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Great use of Froome's time, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His best contribution of the race.

They should give Mohoric his TT bike.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slovenian and again and again

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Mohoric always seems like he's having a great time

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
His gap is growing. He could have been freewheeling most of the last 5km.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The second-place group was a trash fire.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Half of them refused to work, the rest argued with them rather than ditching.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Better sprint for 10th or whatever

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
His interviews are so good. Someone who talks like Cav except about things other than sprinting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can’t wait for the TT where we see a good time and then some guys chipping away at it by a second or two and then Pogacar comes and dumpsters everybody by 30 seconds

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Ah yes Mohoric, clearly a good way to dispel rumours about your team doping is to celebrate your win with a gesture used by *checks notes* Lance Armstrong?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I'm secretly pleased cab didn't win today because Sunday is going to be bananas.

Hope pog does something mental like ride the TT fixed tomorrow

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1415944579774394368?s=19

:thunk:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HappyCamperGL posted:

It's like a specific statute that criminalises WADC violations. So I assume would cover even OTC stuff that's prohibited by WADA.

Isn’t caffeine a controlled substance too though? In my experience France is a lot more lax about prescription drugs than other European countries.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah that'll happen when someone beats the field by four minutes or something.

It’s exactly like when one team has a player sent off early in a big football match. Ruins it, outcome is obvious.

goatface posted:

How does he always get the hair poking out of his helmet so perfectly?

He actually shaves his head every night, but the side effects enhance hair growth…

goatface posted:

They should give Mohoric his TT bike.
Sorry, I’m new to serious Tdf watching:
Do they not all have the same spec TT bike?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Caffeine is allowed

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

wooger posted:

Sorry, I’m new to serious Tdf watching:
Do they not all have the same spec TT bike?
They all have to be race legal, but they're by no means identical.

Here, have a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84grTYdsgtE

Albinator fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 16, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Albinator posted:

They all have to be race legal, but they're by no means identical.

Why wouldn’t each team have the best bike they can for every competitor though?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sponsorship. The teams need the money more than they need the seconds.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

Why wouldn’t each team have the best bike they can for every competitor though?

They do? They’re all set up for each rider specifically.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The original comment wasn't really about the bike, it was about the fact he was obviously going to be solo for the rest of the stage because the rest were being wastermen.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
It's an interesting point though. 'loving sram' aside, has there been a team that has been stuck with absolute dogshit bikes for a tour before and its been obvious? I seem to remember there were issues with exploding carbon wheels a few tours back (and much further back there were concerns about the spinergies but I never saw one explode mid tour). I don't recall entire bikes being swapped out by a team though.

Trying to imagine ineos grenadiers on the front riding huffys.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Aqua Blue had to ride absolute garbage 3T 1x bikes that one year, not in the Tour though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There were those proper slow Cannondale TT bikes for a bit

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Jumbo modded their heavy rear end Bianchis for grand tours by stripping the paint, but other than the bikes were fine.

I've been trying to find out if there are better examples but it's the kind of thing that's hard to search for

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

StarkingBarfish posted:

It's an interesting point though. 'loving sram' aside, has there been a team that has been stuck with absolute dogshit bikes for a tour before and its been obvious? I seem to remember there were issues with exploding carbon wheels a few tours back (and much further back there were concerns about the spinergies but I never saw one explode mid tour). I don't recall entire bikes being swapped out by a team though.

Somewhat related but some of the Conti teams are definitely not running the latest tech.

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/pro-bike/2021-pro-bike-tech-trends/

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Belkin (now Jumbo) had such non stiff dogshit bianchi time trial bikes, so much in fact that they converted road bikes for their most demanding time trialists (Lars Boom most prominently). Then during the season bianchi presented new bikes that were more aero and more stiff and then the rear brake rubbed against the rim. That poo poo cost Mollema (seems to be a theme for him) a top position.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 17, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cav was forced to ride that lovely FSA crankset that kept kicking the chain off when he was sprinting and caused a massive crash. After it cost him at least 2 sprints he had Dura ace chainrings on.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Rojkir posted:

Belkin (now Jumbo) had such non stiff dogshit bianchi time trial bikes, so much in fact that they converted road bikes for their most demanding time trialists (Lars Boom most prominently). Then during the season bianchi presented new bikes that were more aero and more stiff and then the rear brake team against the rim. That poo poo cost Mollema (seems to be a theme for him) a top position.

Yesss... this is the kinda thing I was looking for

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Wasn't Rohan Dennis' meltdown at the tour a couple of years back because he thought his Merida TT setup was poo poo?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Partiallly that and partially because he's rohan dennis.

While we are on the topic of delicate flowers

https://twitter.com/2sporten/status/1416072635763593217

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

StarkingBarfish posted:

The Eddy Merckx bikes that AG2R used for a few races apparently weren't suitable and they ended up just using Merckx models which were rebadged Ridleys since the same company owned them both.

Back in the day the big US team failure Mercury-Viatel were still on steel bikes in 2001 which was reeeeeeally late to be running those. I think they had a titanium option too but the titanium Lemonds weren't up to the standard of the actual high end titanium builders and titanium was on its way out as a pro bike material anyway.

Also smh at dissing huffy. They won the Giro d'italia! :v:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 17, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wooger posted:

It’s exactly like when one team has a player sent off early in a big football match. Ruins it, outcome is obvious.

It's more like that time Germany scored like five goals in ten minutes against Brazil and its fun in the same way

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
me when I can’t get that tiny perfect amount of resistance on my headset

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also re: Mercury Viatel there's a great article wkth the team's assistant DS (who was like absurdly young for a DS, like 24, and got the job because he was like the only American they interviewed who knew Flemish) about what a disaster that team was

iirc the takeaway was the owner was this massive American cycling nut who basically ran the team like a Velogames team, he spent all the money on riders and nothing on important things like operational costs

I did really like the story where as a really young American DS all the American riders were more or less sniggering at him while all the guys from traditional cycling nations like the Belgians (and Pavel Tonkov who was basically Italian) just kind of instantly accepted it

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I think Cav is just confused about the internal cable routing. He's been on autopilot for quite a few years now.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Albinator posted:

Wasn't Rohan Dennis' meltdown at the tour a couple of years back because he thought his Merida TT setup was poo poo?

That was the story though apparently on geraint Thomas's podcast he said it was actually more about the helmet than the bike, it was costing him 5-10 watts.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I miss team time trials. Always enjoyed watching them.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Whoa, I just saw that the BinckBank Tour will be the Benelux Tour from this year on. Not so much because they added Luxembourg, but because they lost BinckBank as a sponsor.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Roblo posted:

I miss team time trials. Always enjoyed watching them.

I was wondering if we might see one come back as an anti Pogacar move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TTTs rule and we need more of them.