Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Ciaphas posted:

Ye I went down from VH straight to normal for the whole finale because eff that

At the second credit roll, hope this is the real one or I’ve made a terrible error this evening

Reading this is glorious Because If you scroll back some 100 pages Its literally word for word me, I started crossing the tar belt aroubd 8pm after putting kids to bed; then at around 11 was like ”yeah I can finish this tonight” …

Lo and behold I was done at 9am the next morning, with 2 Angry toddlers screaming for attention

Kojima gets everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/knut_kniffte/status/1415648927945314309

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Kojima is right and he should say it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Valtonen posted:

Reading this is glorious Because If you scroll back some 100 pages Its literally word for word me, I started crossing the tar belt aroubd 8pm after putting kids to bed; then at around 11 was like ”yeah I can finish this tonight” …

Lo and behold I was done at 9am the next morning, with 2 Angry toddlers screaming for attention

Kojima gets everyone.

luckily it was the real one so my bedtime wasn't too out there

My Thoughts tldr: great game but when it comes to the pen Kojima needed that loving oversight, jesus christ. especially for all the loving self-aggrandizement he did, it actually made me a little cross by the end lol

(e) does do a good trailer tho, i'll let him have that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ciaphas posted:

luckily it was the real one so my bedtime wasn't too out there

My Thoughts tldr: great game but when it comes to the pen Kojima needed that loving oversight, jesus christ. especially for all the loving self-aggrandizement he did, it actually made me a little cross by the end lol

(e) does do a good trailer tho, i'll let him have that

It should be longer

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

FAUXTON posted:

lol if you didn't expect that from a kojima joint
oh i expected it but it still sorta killed any ambition to play it again, since it also takes a long time to open up what with all the president mom drama

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

on that note, despite the massive amount of repetition and exposition in the game, I have some plot questions because I went "gently caress this" and got blazed about a third into credit roll 1 and undoubtedly missed some fine detail. basically all ending poo poo so here comes the CIA document questions

- about the President: so Bridget/Amelie are one person and she was the EE all along. Why'd they get split into Amelie on the Beach and Bridget in the real world? After that split, were Bridget & Amelie the same person with the same goals, or was it a Jekyll/Hyde thing?
- about BBs: so all those elevator flashbacks were Sam's earliest memories, and he was one of the earliest BBs - taken out of the game as a fetus by a bullet, very sad - and was Cliff's target all along. What about BB-28, does that make him(?) a completely separate BB with an unknown (and unexplained) history that just so happened to get to Sam by way of Igor at the start, or is he somehow related to the broader plot? (At first I thought he was Sam too and there was some timey-wimey bullshit afoot)
- about the Death Stranding: were the first BT contact & voidouts in the BB experiments a part of Bridget/Amelie's grand design, or a fuckup?
- about Higgs: if he was being puppeted the whole time, what was with those two boss fights and Amelie being apparently under his control?
- about Amelie: what the hell is her goal here? I got all the blah-blah philosophy about mass extinctions being good in the long run, but if her goals were keeping humanity going, couldn't she just... like... not do the Last Stranding at all??
- about the final delivery and Sam's fate: not really a question because I don't know how to form it, but something about Sam returning to being a bitter, aloof asswipe - "same as [he] was back in that cave" - after all that seems... wrong? like i get disconnecting from Bridges, if only to make sure they don't find out about Lou, but why walk away and sever ties with e.g. Fragile?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 15, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

- about BBs: so all those elevator flashbacks were Sam's earliest memories, and he was one of the earliest BBs - taken out of the game as a fetus by a bullet, very sad - and was Cliff's target all along. What about BB-28, does that make him(?) a completely separate BB with an unknown (and unexplained) history that just so happened to get to Sam by way of Igor at the start, or is he somehow related to the broader plot? (At first I thought he was Sam too and there was some timey-wimey bullshit afoot)

I can answer this one at least- Her, actually. And yes, just a random BB.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Ciaphas posted:

on that note, despite the massive amount of repetition and exposition in the game, I have some plot questions because I went "gently caress this" and got blazed about a third into credit roll 1 and undoubtedly missed some fine detail. basically all ending poo poo so here comes the CIA document questions

- about the President: so Bridget/Amelie are one person and she was the EE all along. Why'd they get split into Amelie on the Beach and Bridget in the real world? After that split, were Bridget & Amelie the same person with the same goals, or was it a Jekyll/Hyde thing?
- about the Death Stranding: were the first BT contact & voidouts in the BB experiments a part of Bridget/Amelie's grand design, or a fuckup?
- about Higgs: if he was being puppeted the whole time, what was with those two boss fights and Amelie being apparently under his control?
- about Amelie: what the hell is her goal here? I got all the blah-blah philosophy about mass extinctions being good in the long run, but if her goals were keeping humanity going, couldn't she just... like... not do the Last Stranding at all??[/spoiler]

-"Samantha America Strand, widely known as "Amelie", is the "ka" (soul) of the sixth extinction entity, publicly recognized as the daughter of her counterpart "ha" (body), President Bridget Strand."
-I don't remember actually, but I think the death stranding just happened on accident and the extinction event was a supposed to be Amelie mercifully putting a bullet in humanity's collective dome, that's why she sort of sets up a test for Sam, to see if it actually was possible to 'reconnect' America and I feel like Sam is at least insistent on her not doing it, despite how he reacts at the very end to everything.
-I think she was 'puppeting' him, at first then his DOOMSSSS level grew or something and he figured out how to control her

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Imhotep posted:

-"Samantha America Strand, widely known as "Amelie", is the "ka" (soul) of the sixth extinction entity, publicly recognized as the daughter of her counterpart "ha" (body), President Bridget Strand."
-I don't remember actually, but I think the death stranding just happened on accident and the extinction event was a supposed to be Amelie mercifully putting a bullet in humanity's collective dome, that's why she sort of sets up a test for Sam, to see if it actually was possible to 'reconnect' America and I feel like Sam is at least insistent on her not doing it, despite how he reacts at the very end to everything.
-I think she was 'puppeting' him, at first then his DOOMSSSS level grew or something and he figured out how to control her

On point 1 I think that the Bridget / Amelie split happened when she tried to save Sam after shooting him as a BB?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I can answer this one at least- Her, actually. And yes, just a random BB.
To give more detail, the after credits (lol) scene reveals Lou to be Louise

Ciaphas posted:

- about Amelie: what the hell is her goal here? I got all the blah-blah philosophy about mass extinctions being good in the long run, but if her goals were keeping humanity going, couldn't she just... like... not do the Last Stranding at all??
[/spoiler]
Her goals weren't about helping humanity but being humane - putting humanity out of its misery instead of dragging it out. Ultimately Sam convinced her to change her mind and drag it out.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 15, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
All of you jerks that didn't enjoy the fake credits, all your jerks who think Kojima should've been reigned in, none of you appreciate TRUE ART :argh:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

imagine playing this game and coming to the conclusion that less would have been better

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's one flashback in the long final beach sequence but Amelie split from Bridgette when she had a near death experience on the operating table as a young woman, which is why Amelie is always at that age. They are basically the same person in two different places.

night slime
May 14, 2014
The DLC should double the credits

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

just rip off yoko taro and make the credits the final boss

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
For the life of me I can't wrap my head around the new cargo launcher. Like when would you ever use that?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around the new cargo launcher. Like when would you ever use that?

When you gotta launch some cargo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

When they're resins and you don't give a gently caress.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I would assume it isn't going to completely obliterate the whole package, there's likely some safety mechanisms or a parachute or some poo poo. It's likely costly to set up, but once it's set I'm just gonna use it to sling poo poo over BT trenches just cuz I can

Okay no gently caress that actually I'm just gonna set up ramps instead and pop wheelies over them

night slime
May 14, 2014
I thought it looked weird but thinking about it now, some areas like the uhh guy who gives you grenades as delivery rewards would be great for it. You set it up in the center of the place so you just launch it out of timefall, don't have to climb the wall with a bunch or avoid BTs with a lot of cargo on your back.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

night slime posted:

I thought it looked weird but thinking about it now, some areas like the uhh guy who gives you grenades as delivery rewards would be great for it. You set it up in the center of the place so you just launch it out of timefall, don't have to climb the wall with a bunch or avoid BTs with a lot of cargo on your back.

Build some in the middle of the two ruined cities and blast all the cargo out of there rather than have to make 10 round trips to grab everything in the timefall and BTs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

just rip off yoko taro and make the credits the final boss

at least that would have been entertaining!!!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
i started a new game on the PC and wow, the opening hours are much easier once you know what you're doing

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I tried this game for a bit but I kind of fell off for a while, I think I got to the old man on the mountain? Where you start building roads? Was I pretty close to done? I don't really know how long this is, and should I just start over from the beginning or pick up from there, I remember a tedious boss fight where you had to like whistle for help for people to throw ammo at you to shoot a thing?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You are nowhere near done lol. If you've just met the elder (he's on a hill not a mountain though, you'll know mountains when you climb them) it sounds like you were in chapter 3 and I'm assuming pretty near the beginning as doing initial deliveries to him and the other preppers in the area are some of the first story missions of that chapter. There's 14 total chapters, although that's slightly misleading as some of the later ones are really short and 3 is probably the single longest chapter for most people as it's where the game opens up with tons of side missions.

You could start over but I'm not sure you'd gain much from doing so.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a mod or tool (other then notepad lol) that keeps track of how many resources you've put into building a road?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Is there a mod or tool (other then notepad lol) that keeps track of how many resources you've put into building a road?

You can hover over the paver (or any structure) on the map and it will tell you how many resources have been put into it and what it needs to complete. Also its current durability.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I just got to the Heartman scene in my second playthrough and man, what a weird concept. Even seeing it again feels ridiculous.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

been crawling the thread for a lark, and

Monkey Fracas posted:

actually timefall won't damage your cargo, only the container

of course if your container is ruined the cargo itself will take a ton of damage if Sam biffs it or drives a motorcycle off a sheer cliff

in summary Do Not Fall Down
timefall doesn't damage cargo? just the containers??? :stare:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, although it will damage items that don't have cargo containers (tools, weapons, etc). Cargo itself is perfectly safe no matter how long you stand in the rain, provided you don't fall down.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Ciaphas posted:

Yes, and your rating upon a delivery is only based on cargo health, which you probably knew. So yeah, if you have a completely destroyed container but the cargo itself is at %100, you’re fine if you don’t trip. If you do, then the cargo will take a hell of a lot more damage.

Also I had no idea you could get this until I finished the game, and even though it probably wouldn’t have helped really (because of the above), it would’ve been cool to get it https://deathstranding.fandom.com/wiki/Backpack_cover

imhotep fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 17, 2021

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The cover is helpful for stashing your weapons and tools, although it requires manually arranging your cargo which is always a bit of a pain because you can't just like, move stuff up and down the list, you have to load and unload it. Also any weapon/tool you equip and then unequip ends up on your tool rack regardless of where it started so you have to be aware of that as well.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I did not discover learn about covers til the postgame

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I removed mine after getting to Mountain Knot, partly because I don't like how they look, partly because I like to look at my stack as I'm walking, and partly because otherwise the LEGO brick attachments on the cargo containers wouldn't work. Suck it nerds. I know that's when I'll need it the most or whatever, but I find it easier to not fall down.

Sidenote, what's everyone's favorite spot for hunting BTs?

Philippe fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 17, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

d'aww. I just got the harmonica (in the postgame :eng99:), and I recognized what song he plays for BB while resting :unsmith:

Does he play that same song if you get the harmonica when first available?

(ed)

Philippe posted:

Sidenote, what's everyone's favorite spot for hunting BTs?
I liked setting up shop here, roughly where the safehouse in the middle is

Rest there to restock on ammo for whatever you're using, cross the river junction going southwest toward the Photographer, and you'll be drowning in the fuckers. Boss arena's basically right there too, quick to run right back to the safe house afterward

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 17, 2021

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kazzah posted:

I did not discover learn about covers til the postgame

Same. To my eternal shame, I also only found out about the

harmonica

after the end game. I say shame, because I was named after a locally famous player of same.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Ciaphas posted:

d'aww. I just got the harmonica (in the postgame :eng99:), and I recognized what song he plays for BB while resting :unsmith:

Sam will also occasionally play the harmonica on his own while you're out on a walk if you leave it equipped.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

Does he play that same song if you get the harmonica when first available?

Yes. (Also Sam’s jingle that plays when he gets a mail is the first few notes). Took me a while to realize that every character has their own jingle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yes. (Also Sam’s jingle that plays when he gets a mail is the first few notes). Took me a while to realize that every character has their own jingle.

Neat! I kind of want to go back through the story. Even though so much of it is pure logorrhea, the parts that aren't are pretty rad, and I'd love to go catch more instances of foreshadowing like that very song.

Too bad there's no, idk, NG+ or something - granted being superman kinda breaks the back of the difficulty curve, such as it is, but not having a speed suit and especially Sticky Guns just fuckin sucks lol