Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Grouchio posted:

Duke of Death and His Black Maid has the worst CG since Berserk 2016. Hard recommend to read the manga instead.

B... but why tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

the veneer of self-conscious irony most mediocre LNs do.

Thank you for putting words to that niggling vibe that annoys me about a lot of LN stuff

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

Duke of Death and His Black Maid has the worst CG since Berserk 2016. Hard recommend to read the manga instead.

Worse than Spider even?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

Worse than Spider even?

Spider's CG was fine for Kumo, and that was what mattered most. It was often the non cg that sucked worst.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nemo2342 posted:

Worse than Spider even?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

expectations should've been set at high score girl levels, since that's the prior cg show from that JC Staff team.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea that just looks like high score girl

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grouchio posted:

So people have already memory-holed Ex-Arm, eh?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

dogsicle posted:

expectations should've been set at high score girl levels, since that's the prior cg show from that JC Staff team.

Yeah. For this type of series, it's satisfactory levels of animation since it's mostly just Romcom stuff. Maybe when they get to the Magic, things might shift a little like how Hi-Score Girl used video game graphics in the relevant points that improved it over the manga.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Am I having a stroke or does getter arc have one of the most shittastic 2d animation in recent times? The thugs beat ups are almost musashi-gun bad. Shin getter wasn’t this wonky

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3972648

The new thread is finally up. Thank you for your patience.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Am I having a stroke or does getter arc have one of the most shittastic 2d animation in recent times? The thugs beat ups are almost musashi-gun bad. Shin getter wasn’t this wonky

Shin Getter was also almost 20 years ago. It's a sign of the times!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

AlternateNu posted:

So people have already memory-holed Ex-Arm, eh?

The brain damage it causes wipes all memory of it from your mind.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Spider's CG was fine for Kumo, and that was what mattered most. It was often the non cg that sucked worst.

I know this season is over but is this the normal outlook? Her fights were just constantly belching the same black purple texture all over the screen and calling it a day. I would not rush to call it better than Berserk by much at all.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

kater posted:

I know this season is over but is this the normal outlook? Her fights were just constantly belching the same black purple texture all over the screen and calling it a day. I would not rush to call it better than Berserk by much at all.

Her fights were generally a lot more tactical than is usual for anime, which is why I enjoyed it. Even when she just spammed her black spears it was because she'd considered it the best option at the time. That wasn't how she actually won any of her fights that I can remember.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 8, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the few eps i saw i'd say...kumo was acceptable while basically everything else sucked. stuff like ex-arm existing isn't really going to temper my judgement on other cg.

more generally i found the series boring so if the future devolved into spam of uninspiring cg that also wouldn't surprise me. if course there were also production issues with the series as it went along in addition to whatever caused the multiple delays in even starting to air.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know we already got a Summer Thread and that I had already read the manga for like half of what ended up getting adapted by its anime (even if I forgot most of it), but Nagatoro ended up being super cute. Sumire Uesaka could try and sell me a goddamn part-time share in the middle of bumfuck nowheresville and I would buy it in a heartbeat. :3:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I'm five eps into season 2 of Moriarty, and man, it sucks.

Moriarty as a whole is an incredibly shallow show. It bangs on and on about the ills of a rotten society, yet every antagonist is cartoonishly evil beyond parody, openly bragging about how much they love, e.g., raping children (this is episode 1). It kind of undermines the central theme of your story when you're implying every evil in the world is essentially the work of a few bad apples! The titular Moriarty is supposedly a genius wise beyond his years, yet all of his "perfect crimes" amount to things helping the guy with the biggest, most obvious motive for murder stab a guy in some secluded cabin and then dumping the body in a river somewhere. Okay, this is clearly just a revenge fantasy, fine. There's no need for the pretense of nuance here. Each episode having this same setup gets pretty repetitive, but they're self-contained episodes that pass by quickly, and I can laugh when the gang baits a guy into murdering a dude live on stage with hundreds of spectators in the audience.

Towards the end of season 1, the show turns more of a slog as it tries to do more and more longer arcs and the pacing gets murdered and left to rot on the ground. Often, it feels like the writers are struggling to fill time. You'll sometimes have scenes where all the Moriartys are in a room and re-explain the premise of the show to each other. When an arc's master plan is set into action, the show immediately cuts back to a flashback of everyone discussing the plan, and then cuts back forward to someone internally monologuing about their part in the plan. It's like the writers saying they have no faith that the audience will understand anything that's not explicitly spelled out to them letter by letter.

Season 2 is when we rope in Mycroft and make the story about the big ol' British government, and the scope of all of it is clearly out of the mangaka's league. Like, politics is already going to be a boring subject, and it's not going to hook me if everyone's goals other than "make society not bad" are vague. So when they reveal Maximilien Robespierre was actually a secret British agent plant sent to instigate the French Revolution and Reign of Terror as a government plot to run a large-scale social experiment (how did they have the resources to do this immediately after losing a war to America, I don't know), it's funny yeah, but this doesn't actually matter into any of the characters' motivations or whatever. Its function in the story is a secret the government doesn't want to get out, but it doesn't build on any of the show's themes beyond a superficial similarity in a revolution overthrowing the aristocracy. Why did the people revolt in the first place? Eh, nobility's corrupt, nothing more to say on that.

It's shallow, needlessly convoluted, and pretends to be much smarter than it's capable of being. But it's in a stream pact and I have to finish it, so look forward to me maybe complaining about it more in the future.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

you forgot to post the gif

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://sakugabooru.com/data/3ec54891eef9bd968fe1447e5adaa975.mp4

ok this was very funny too

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Lmfao

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
so where's the gif

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd probably hate moriarty too if i took it even slightly seriously.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Space Flower posted:

so where's the gif

It’s 2021 and I call mp4s without sound gif

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'll say even as someone detached from expectations of it being any more than stupid, it does drag a bit in these longer arcs/s2

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Definitely the weaker of the two shows last season where a lady encounters bishie detectives and then becomes ambiguously trans

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Brutal Garcon posted:

Definitely the weaker of the two shows last season where a lady encounters bishie detectives and then becomes ambiguously trans

alright erg. stream pact we have to get to the bottom of this

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

I accept the duty of hosting Shaft Saugust

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Holy poo poo, Cestvs got an anime?! But isn't the sequel manga still on hiatus?

Can anyone tell me if it's worth watching?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
from what i heard it cuts out a shitton of stuff and isn't well animated at all

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So the isekai drugstore MC made tear gas. Can't say I saw that one coming.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tosk posted:

Holy poo poo, Cestvs got an anime?! But isn't the sequel manga still on hiatus?

Can anyone tell me if it's worth watching?

No. They skip roughly 70 chapters of early content to go right to Pompeii, and it's a really weird mix between 2d and 3d, not in the good Orange Studio sense where they use both to complement each other, but they just kind of make a total switch between each arbitrarily

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The best thing about the Cestvs anime is that its existence compelled me to pick up the manga which is excellent :cheers:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nemo2342 posted:

So the isekai drugstore MC made tear gas. Can't say I saw that one coming.

This should be over in the Summer thread, but yeah. And it's intentionally done. From what I've seen of the manga, everything he creates has some real world analogue. His health potion, for example, is supposed to taste like Pocari Sweat. I can only guess they dropped all of that to prevent dealing with licensing issues with the various products they reference, even if it's tangentially.

Crap, derailed this thread further. :dumbbravo: If anyone replies, can you cross-post it to the Summer anime thread? :thanks:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Doodles posted:

This should be over in the Summer thread, but yeah. And it's intentionally done. From what I've seen of the manga, everything he creates has some real world analogue. His health potion, for example, is supposed to taste like Pocari Sweat. I can only guess they dropped all of that to prevent dealing with licensing issues with the various products they reference, even if it's tangentially.

Crap, derailed this thread further. :dumbbravo: If anyone replies, can you cross-post it to the Summer anime thread? :thanks:

Whoops, my bad! This is what happens when I watch my anime at 4am and then decide to post.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

So I'm five eps into season 2 of Moriarty, and man, it sucks.

Moriarty as a whole is an incredibly shallow show. It bangs on and on about the ills of a rotten society, yet every antagonist is cartoonishly evil beyond parody, openly bragging about how much they love, e.g., raping children (this is episode 1). It kind of undermines the central theme of your story when you're implying every evil in the world is essentially the work of a few bad apples! The titular Moriarty is supposedly a genius wise beyond his years, yet all of his "perfect crimes" amount to things helping the guy with the biggest, most obvious motive for murder stab a guy in some secluded cabin and then dumping the body in a river somewhere. Okay, this is clearly just a revenge fantasy, fine. There's no need for the pretense of nuance here. Each episode having this same setup gets pretty repetitive, but they're self-contained episodes that pass by quickly, and I can laugh when the gang baits a guy into murdering a dude live on stage with hundreds of spectators in the audience.

Towards the end of season 1, the show turns more of a slog as it tries to do more and more longer arcs and the pacing gets murdered and left to rot on the ground. Often, it feels like the writers are struggling to fill time. You'll sometimes have scenes where all the Moriartys are in a room and re-explain the premise of the show to each other. When an arc's master plan is set into action, the show immediately cuts back to a flashback of everyone discussing the plan, and then cuts back forward to someone internally monologuing about their part in the plan. It's like the writers saying they have no faith that the audience will understand anything that's not explicitly spelled out to them letter by letter.

Season 2 is when we rope in Mycroft and make the story about the big ol' British government, and the scope of all of it is clearly out of the mangaka's league. Like, politics is already going to be a boring subject, and it's not going to hook me if everyone's goals other than "make society not bad" are vague. So when they reveal Maximilien Robespierre was actually a secret British agent plant sent to instigate the French Revolution and Reign of Terror as a government plot to run a large-scale social experiment (how did they have the resources to do this immediately after losing a war to America, I don't know), it's funny yeah, but this doesn't actually matter into any of the characters' motivations or whatever. Its function in the story is a secret the government doesn't want to get out, but it doesn't build on any of the show's themes beyond a superficial similarity in a revolution overthrowing the aristocracy. Why did the people revolt in the first place? Eh, nobility's corrupt, nothing more to say on that.

It's shallow, needlessly convoluted, and pretends to be much smarter than it's capable of being. But it's in a stream pact and I have to finish it, so look forward to me maybe complaining about it more in the future.

the rest of the season is worse

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
a mix of both immediately undermining every possible antagonist we have (the government? nah, they're on our side. the police? nah, they're on our side. the media? nah, that guy was an evil blackmailer and now he's dead) and incredibly transparent padding of recaps and also shots like a dude saying drat it for like 20 seconds straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
they interrupted the last ep to throw in five (5) recaps, including one scene that had happened earlier in the same ep