Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s an IGN hands on with it and yeah they talked about about the controller bindings and profiles per game and synced with your PC bindings. They’re clearly aiming for a complete seamless PC to Deck and back experience with your games and even appear to be working on being able to sync suspended states so you can literally swap between then without having to load games every time.

Do you reckon you could run VR off of it?

Like, not well necessarily, but like minimum-spec on a Quest 2 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Just replaced my Odyssey with a reverb G2. The clarity is incredible, I had seen the through the lens shots but nothing really prepares you for being able to actually read a car's entire instrument cluster in pcars or dirt rally, or being able to see the farthest targets in the h3 forest range. But drat is it kicking my PCs rear end

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Games like superhot vr, no problem.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have to try this later
BrushworkVR.com

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My elite strap has a crack in it lol

I don't even use my Quest 2 that often so not sure when it happened, I just noticed it

What's the deal with cracks now? Can I get a replacement?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They said it’s not something they’re targeting but there’s no reason you couldn’t. You could certainly install VD or the Oculus app on it, though you would have to completely replace the OS if using a Quest since neither of those will work fully with Linux.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Possibly the one use case for ALVR, which has barely working Linux support (alongside Valve's own barely working SteamVR Linux support).

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You goons running 1060's or 1080's should think yourselves lucky. Still rocking a GTX 680 here. I've been putting of upgading and then my wife bought me a Quest 2 for my birthday in April and now I want to play Alyx. :smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I got my new video card (1080), computer components (I9-9900K), car, and mountain bike in 2019. I feel like I somehow beat the system.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

IGN specifically asked about it

quote:

IGN: Can I play VR off of it?

Pierre-Loup Griffais: I mean, it has all the connectivity. You would need [a lot] to do that, but that's not really what we're optimizing the performance for.

IGN: So you can try it, but your mileage may vary.

Pierre-Loup Griffais: Yeah.

It probably would need some sort of dongle/dock setup in addition to extra battery and poo poo but it sounds like... maybe? I don't doubt someone will try to get some airlink going on this thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

fuf posted:

My elite strap has a crack in it lol

I don't even use my Quest 2 that often so not sure when it happened, I just noticed it

What's the deal with cracks now? Can I get a replacement?

Mine got a crack in it last night too, all I was doing was winding the strap back in after using it. Some googling says they extended the warranty for this kind of thing, but I can't find anything about it at all on their actual site.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ragnarock went full release yesterday and have added a couple new songs, new cosmetic unlockable hammers, a new environment, and a practice mode, and now that it's out it might be fair to say this is my favorite VR game to date and definitely another early access success story. The game was playable when it landed in EA but has improved significantly since then. It's a bit of a bummer because it seems like nobody's doing online races BUT I realized last night the genius in them adding ghosts along with the leaderboard is you can always have boats to race even if people aren't playing the PVP mode.

Also, I tried Jetborne Racing and it seems pretty fun but is there any way to control the pedals when I'm using the touch controls? Seems like all I can do is roll and pitch and it makes controlling it really difficult. Seems like one I'd need a joystick for. Maybe I should hook mine up 🤔

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Good lord, Oculus Quest hand tracking is garbage. I suppose that's to be expected when there's no external sensors/lighthouses to track my fingers when they're not being viewed by the cameras

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

IGN specifically asked about it

It probably would need some sort of dongle/dock setup in addition to extra battery and poo poo but it sounds like... maybe? I don't doubt someone will try to get some airlink going on this thing.

It would be nice if the dock has an ethernet port.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Even if it doesn't, you can use any dock you want, so if you see one you like with the ports you need then go for it!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thecluckmeme posted:

Good lord, Oculus Quest hand tracking is garbage. I suppose that's to be expected when there's no external sensors/lighthouses to track my fingers when they're not being viewed by the cameras

It's pretty handy ( :haw: ) in situations where your viewpoint isn't changing much and controllers would be a hassle, I use it in Immersed when I'm working and want to use multiple virtual monitors.

Outside of that... yeah, I only really use it when I'm bringing my headset out of sleep and forgot to grab the controllers before I put it on.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The Quest 2 suits me because I don't really have much open space in my apartment. I know it's not the best, but it's ideal for my setup. What really drives me nuts is how much it fights the link to my PC.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

raditts posted:

It's pretty handy ( :haw: ) in situations where your viewpoint isn't changing much and controllers would be a hassle, I use it in Immersed when I'm working and want to use multiple virtual monitors.

Outside of that... yeah, I only really use it when I'm bringing my headset out of sleep and forgot to grab the controllers before I put it on.

I was playing Hand Physics Lab which was a nice little time waster, and I completed all 85 levels, but there's a separate category for completing all of them using hand tracking instead. Picking up objects just... doesn't really work. Once you get one of your fingers behind one closer to you, the tracking seems to think it has disappeared and because of it, doesn't know if it's still in position or not. It was still a fun game, but holy gently caress is it frustrating just to stack blocks on top of each other.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

raditts posted:

You can also use it for full hand tracking in VRChat, with the minor downside that you can't move anywhere.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ugh, I played a bit of PC VR, and yeah, bad idea. So much heat and noise in summer produced by my computer!
Quest 2 for now, then.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Pennsylvanian posted:

The Quest 2 suits me because I don't really have much open space in my apartment. I know it's not the best, but it's ideal for my setup. What really drives me nuts is how much it fights the link to my PC.

I had to fight mine constantly until I gave in and bought a new wireless router. Now it’s usually connected when I open air link / vd.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GoodApollo posted:

I had to fight mine constantly until I gave in and bought a new wireless router. Now it’s usually connected when I open air link / vd.

For real, get a 802.11ac/ax router and make sure you don't have a lot of metal and glass between you and your router. Old homes with plaster walls that have a metal mesh in them are the biggest culprits. Even for watching Netflix on a smart TV, the biggest hurdle for latency issues is being on a regular 2.4ghz network

And if you can split the router into a 5g and 2.4g network, even better.

E: if it's hot outside, I can fire up my PC in the other room and through drywall I can be in a different room with almost no latency issues

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I havent used my Rift S in a while and decided to mess around on it tonight. The volume control is just...gone now. Iirc it used to be on the dashboard under the little "..." icon on the right, but it's completely gone now. I spent 15 minutes looking through every option and could find absolutely nothing to lower the deafening volume wtf.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I have a Radeon RX 580 and an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 on my PC. My fiancee and I just got an Oculus Quest 2. The VR games native to Oculus seem to run fine, great even. But when I try to link it via Airlink to my PC and Steam, all the games run poorly but especially run blurrily.

Of particular note is Project Wingman. I'm seeing target notifications where the targets aren't.
For instance, friendly notifications (e.g. the blue boxes) like Diplomat and such aren't appearing over the right planes; in fact they're appearing in midair. Enemy green boxes also aren't appearing in the right areas. They're sometimes completely off screen when I'm looking in the right direction, and I need to come at targets at an angle to see the target lock box appear in some random corner of my cockpit for a brief period. There is also the blurriness and some minor performance issues. What gives? Would linking it via cable change things? It doesn't feel like the HUD desync or the blurriness could be a hitching issue?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The water looks nice. And I liked paddling in the Phantom oculus game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZqK1qzkWUI

Good music and gameplay integration here
https://twitter.com/GrooveGunner/status/1415476345283485697

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 17, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That background seems incredibly distracting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I took a random chance on a Facebook marketplace ad for a cheap “broken rift s”.

The first thing I have to solve with it is the smell. It smells like some sort of perfume/air freshener/vape juice, I dunno

I washed the facial interface and have it sitting under a fan, same with the nose cup.

The head strap though is a different beast since it contains speakers and wiring and whatnot so I can’t just dunk it in soapy water

What’s the best bet for making it smell not like an old lady who vapes house?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Finally revisited Superhot last night. I didn't realize each "level" is just a series of encounters -- so last time I played, I kept dying on the last encounter in a level and therefore it sent me back to the very beginning each time.

Kind of annoying, because some are so easy and then others are just awkward "throw this just right or you lose" feeling maps. I've managed to recover a blundered throw a few times, but it's just really clunky having to repeat like 4 in a row just to get the 5th that you actually need to figure out.

Also I miss the replay from the normal version of the game at the end of each level :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I imagine moisture having gotten inside it along with the vape juice is what's making is smell like that. And if it is vape juice then that poo poo is vegetable oil sooo... you might be SOL? All I can think of is maybe find a way to get it inside an airtight container with rice or baking soda or something to soak up moisture. Maybe some kind of dessicant like that stuff you can get for boats to dry them out and make them not mildewy.

But I don't know that it won't just go right back to stinking as soon as more air moisture gets inside it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So I took a random chance on a Facebook marketplace ad for a cheap “broken rift s”.

The first thing I have to solve with it is the smell. It smells like some sort of perfume/air freshener/vape juice, I dunno

I washed the facial interface and have it sitting under a fan, same with the nose cup.

The head strap though is a different beast since it contains speakers and wiring and whatnot so I can’t just dunk it in soapy water

Ozone generator with the headset in a box in the garage? I have no idea if the ozone will damage anything. But people use ozone generators to get stank smells out of cars. Like smoke.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sab669 posted:

Also I miss the replay from the normal version of the game at the end of each level :(

I can't think of much that would be more vomit inducing than that in VR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Put a small open bowl of vinegar near it and wait. It'll eat the odor. Doesn't have to be a lot, just a small amount will do the trick. It's also great for getting rid of the smell of ducttape, which is how I learned this trick.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

c355n4 posted:

Ozone generator with the headset in a box in the garage? I have no idea if the ozone will damage anything. But people use ozone generators to get stank smells out of cars. Like smoke.

This is what I would do. I have an ozone generator for literally doing what you describe, dealing with car interior smells, almost always cigarette smoke, and there isn't anything that works as well.

Does the thing work and just stink?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KakerMix posted:

This is what I would do. I have an ozone generator for literally doing what you describe, dealing with car interior smells, almost always cigarette smoke, and there isn't anything that works as well.

Does the thing work and just stink?

Sorry just wanted to note as a respiratory guy that you should take steps to not breathe in ozone if possible. I'm sure you aren't sitting in your car while you run it or something but in case you aren't already, you'll want to make sure you ventilate the garage more than you'd think you should before you go into that space if it's got a lot of O3 around.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m going to try the vinegar trick first and then the ozone generator if I have to.

It’s about the same cost to buy a small ozone generator from Amazon vs renting one, so I’m sure I’ll find more uses for one.

Any recommended small ozone generators? I don’t need something bigger than what can clean the rift s, really.

Also, yes, it works but just sort of smells. The seller said “works for a while but then loses tracking and the pass through cameras go to static”.

That’s one of two things:

1) it’s actually broken and you’re boned

2) it doesn’t have enough USB bandwidth and it needs its own dedicated card.

So I rolled the dice. I hooked it up to my VR rig that runs the rift CV1 and Quest 2. I put it on the motherboard usb and it did exactly what the seller described. Then I moved it to the dedicated usb card that I use for the CV1 cameras and it started working.

Obviously before I can call it good I need to put a solid couple hours in it, but I can’t do that with the smell. It’s not even a bad stink like sweat or being dirty or something. It’s a sweet perfume-y smell which makes me think vape juice, which is still gross but in a different way.

I have the facial interface, nose cup and head strap in a box with a bowl of vinegar right now and a fan blowing on the HMD itself.

So yeah if I need to get an O3 generator, does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap one that works?

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m going to try the vinegar trick first and then the ozone generator if I have to.

It’s about the same cost to buy a small ozone generator from Amazon vs renting one, so I’m sure I’ll find more uses for one.

Any recommended small ozone generators? I don’t need something bigger than what can clean the rift s, really.

Also, yes, it works but just sort of smells. The seller said “works for a while but then loses tracking and the pass through cameras go to static”.

That’s one of two things:

1) it’s actually broken and you’re boned

2) it doesn’t have enough USB bandwidth and it needs its own dedicated card.

So I rolled the dice. I hooked it up to my VR rig that runs the rift CV1 and Quest 2. I put it on the motherboard usb and it did exactly what the seller described. Then I moved it to the dedicated usb card that I use for the CV1 cameras and it started working.

Obviously before I can call it good I need to put a solid couple hours in it, but I can’t do that with the smell. It’s not even a bad stink like sweat or being dirty or something. It’s a sweet perfume-y smell which makes me think vape juice, which is still gross but in a different way.

I have the facial interface, nose cup and head strap in a box with a bowl of vinegar right now and a fan blowing on the HMD itself.

So yeah if I need to get an O3 generator, does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap one that works?

Is there any reason you can’t wipe it down with white vinegar directly? Vodka or diluted lemon juice might also do the trick.

If you have a lens cover sitting it in the sun for a while might help also.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the hmd I plan to wipe down as well with vinegar. Fingers crossed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally an answer to the age old question "what if Weird Al sang for Nine inch Nails?"

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Finally an answer to the age old question "what if Weird Al sang for Nine inch Nails?"

He's already done that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7G6GbTMOtg

As for VR relevant content, I'm really into Synth Riders lately. Can anyone recommend some good custom songs that aren't super hard? Seems most of the ones I download only have expert/master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Staying Alive, No Limits and YMCA are easier ones, there was another I had but I can't for the life of me remember what right now. If you look on synthriderz.com, I don't know if it's possible to filter by difficulty?

Also there's a Caravan Palace pack now, which I'm very into, and one of the tracks is an Experience, which like the Muse one before it is eyeball meltingly cool.