Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well the core staff was small so it seems like a fairly typical case of workload snowballing and then needing to scramble to bring in more freelancers and meet deadlines, and the ensuing stress and struggle that ballooning staff would create

when the series was finally wrapping it was also brought up that even at the base level of scripts and storyboards there had been lag, which would've only been compounding the issues with completing animation. that's the real unknowable stuff but you end up kind of imagining a conflict between aspects of the show like the grounded character work, grand SF overarching plot, what they seem to have wanted to do with Koito etc. there's a lot to handle even if it were a smoothly running 13-ep show...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope the animation staff of wonder egg get to work on more stuff because they are very talented and passionate and clearly cared a lot about some of the themes the story was trying to convey.

i hope i never have to see anything from the wonder egg scriptwriter again. this isn't even attached to wonder egg specifically the guy is just a bad scriptwriter in general.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
"My Sister's Friend" updated on Mangadex! So moody, so gay.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Snooze Cruise posted:

it seems very love it or hate it. i'll probably never get around to it, there has been other gay stuff recently that looks more interesting to me so its a low priority.

i haven't seen anyone at all think it ended well, just varying opinions on exactly how much of a trainwreck it was

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Frnken Fran has been spending time with a bad influence lately...

One with some... misconceptions.
:NSFW:https://mangadex.org/chapter/ac5f066b-aa00-4fa9-a1e2-130d84dd7356/19:NSFW:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Snooze Cruise posted:

it seems very love it or hate it. i'll probably never get around to it, there has been other gay stuff recently that looks more interesting to me so its a low priority.

it's also not gay btw, don't go in expecting yuri or you'll be even more sad than otherwise

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
look i haven't seen it nor do i plan to but i know it was popular with lgbt people and it had a trans character so i feel fine using gay

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 18, 2021

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

yeah just warning you because the second half kind of demolishes anything in the first half that looked like it might have turned into a gay relationship

there is a character whose entire thing is "wow it's so inconvenient that these girls all get crushes on me" and somehow her character arc ends up being the most hetero of them all

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wegg's relationship with trans text is explicit, its relationship with gay text is... wishy washy and while has written more explicit lesbian stories in the past, notably back in like the 80s, the writer has said some fairly backwards stuff about lesbians in the past, and not like in the 2000s or 90s but in like 2018. the interview in specific was never translated and was deleted from the site it was originally posted on due to how negatively received it was and it's hard to dig up any snippets from it in specific, so i'm not saying this as a gotcha or anything more just i feel it's relevant info to keep in mind in some ways that by nature of all that hasn't circulated a whole lot on the english side

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 18, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Is WEP bad?

I've heard some "interesting" things about the plot.

The initial incident of the plot (a school suicide) gets (MASSIVE SPOILERS) reveled in the 13th hour to be 1) not a suicide but an accident wherein the girl slipped whilst feigning the act and b) the end result of self same making a teacher out to be a pedophile for not reciprocating her feelings for him (Sidebar; the same teacher the main character's mother is marrying and the show had been framing weirdly with the main character for about 3/4ths of the run time before going 'naw, he good dou')

The writer of WEP is also, at best, a loving idiot when it comes to LGBT topics and has written some real egregious poo poo on the matter.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly the most hosed up thing about him is that i do think the trans character in sunu sumu is pretty interesting and gets some great lines that are surprisingly relatable, it's just she's not actually the main character and a manga about her and her relationship with the runaway girl would be leagues more interesting than what it actually is (a manga about a guy talking about how as a child he loved snufkin from moomin and that's why he needs to use his trans ally powers to save the day)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this thread is only popular when talking about stuff people don't like but nobody here will read relationship guidelines with me or play lady in mystery and i feel like this is a form of bullying

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

its ok snooze i dont read or watch anything i personally looked at and made myself interested in either

:smith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nobody in this thread will read flowers or curse of kudan if i rec it to them... here we stand, two cliffs overlooking the valley below, from opposing sides

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i have had flowers in my phone browsers tabs for like two years but it also costs money

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
then you can read uhhhhh aoishiro. there's nowhere to buy aoishiro in english so that means you can morally get it for free

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its very difficult for me to say who my favorite love interest in lady in mystery would be, like its obvious i think the thief woman is the hottest one but part of me thinks a marriage to the damo or the main love interest would be better for me... but do i need to choose a favorite... i would like to be marry to all of them so i guess not...

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 18, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started reading fuzorori no renari after having held off on it because it had more sex than I like, it actually is pretty good, funny, and somewhat dramatic. I think I like it even if it makes me lonely. :gbsmith:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

frankly the most hosed up thing about him is that i do think the trans character in sunu sumu is pretty interesting and gets some great lines that are surprisingly relatable, it's just she's not actually the main character and a manga about her and her relationship with the runaway girl would be leagues more interesting than what it actually is (a manga about a guy talking about how as a child he loved snufkin from moomin and that's why he needs to use his trans ally powers to save the day)

i would say the wegg guy is a talented writer with an eye for dialogue who does a decent job understanding the raw emotions of social issues even if he doesnt understand the logic, but he's also got an insane need to push boundaries and get out into the weeds and finds it next to impossible to not center straight cis japanese men in his stories even when it adds literally nothing. see wegg dedicating a ton of time to 'actually this kind of creepy male teacher is a nice guy' even though that adds literally nothing to its themes

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

this thread is only popular when talking about stuff people don't like but nobody here will read relationship guidelines with me or play lady in mystery and i feel like this is a form of bullying

relationship guidelines seems cute, i will commit to reading it as my next webtoon

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I heard that WEGG also put the explicitly trans man character into the girls only dream land? Which seems kinda....

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Yet again I feel vindicated in always waiting until something finishes airing before I look into it.

Speaking of shows that finished, I would like to inform everyone that the Otherside Picnic light novels are much obvious about the developing lesbian relationship than the show was. The show ends long before the most fun parts of that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eopia posted:

I heard that WEGG also put the explicitly trans man character into the girls only dream land? Which seems kinda....

well the dreamland is the result of a robot made by two dudes with weird opinions on women, you could say its about characters victimized by adult men not necessarily teen girls, theres a lot of ways to square that circle in a way that makes it not weird, but unfortunately the show is too busy telling us about how actually it isnt creepy to draw a painting of your teenage student without asking her and call it 'heat' and then tell her shell grow up to be hot like her mom, who you have had sex with

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
If there's one thing in Wonder Egg that is perfect and beyond reproach, it is that trans pride jacket.

I want it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

I will read Relationship Guidelines and scream about it in here if you like, but only once it's finished. :colbert:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Eopia posted:

oh that sounds like it kinda has "game of you" arc vibes from sandman

Thuryl posted:

relationship guidelines seems cute, i will commit to reading it as my next webtoon

ToxicFrog posted:

I will read Relationship Guidelines and scream about it in here if you like, but only once it's finished. :colbert:

you two get to live....

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This may be going into deep territory, but for shows that have obvious yuri subtext, how come they never fully commit to having the girls either get together or kiss, like in love live or zombieland saga

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Willo567 posted:

This may be going into deep territory, but for shows that have obvious yuri subtext, how come they never fully commit to having the girls either get together or kiss, like in love live or zombieland saga

writers are wimps

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is no single boiled down factor to answer this. you could say social and network pressure and that is a likely reason for some stories but like another important part of it to consider is just that not every writer making stuff with gay text or subtext is obligated to include like, kissing scenes in everything they write, and different stories and writers will place different emphasis on different stuff in different ways.

you can get something like futari escape, which runs in a yuri magazine, but from a more judgmental pov you might see people complain that despite it being about a couple living together it doesn't have kissing or anything, which clearly "disqualifies" it as being yuri because it is obviously "just" subtext, and like if you consider the context of the story and what magazine it runs in that's. probably mainly just because they expect you to implicitly understand that, the characters who live together and joke about how important they are to each other and occasionally talk about how important their meeting each other was on a personal level, probably are in fact a lesbian couple. the story just, isn't really focused on a romance or drama or anything, it's just about a weird lesbian couple doing dumb antics. there wasn't higher up pressure, it doesn't run in a space where people reading it on the jp side are going to get weirdly denialist about it. it's just, a low key comedy about a shut-in couple.

also worth considering is just that doujin culture in japan is in some ways an even bigger factor into certain things than fanwork on the us side, there's a wealth of jp fanworks for different series exploring pairings that people like. even if something like, say, touhou, doesn't establish 100% true canon couples, the way it does go about things basically just gives people even more freedom to write about whatever gay pairings they think are funny or interesting. touhou is the biggest and, if want to see it that way, least possibly cynical form of this, very actively encouraging people in the fanbase to stuff like that, but there are plenty of other fanbases where you see a lot of this, like idolm@ster, love live, bang dream, atelier, etc. plenty of yuri artists' careers are actively spawned out of engaging with these scenes. one of my favorite examples of something that feels very deliberately built to encourage this kind of stuff is akuma no riddle, it's much smaller than any of these and more of a straight-up yuri action manga front and center, but while it has a couple canon pairings in its main story it's largely a manga purpose built to be like. a collection of weird-rear end lesbians for people to make goofy doujins about. it is so openly that that half of why the ending that people got mad about is the way it is is cause it so very clearly places more importance on being that than being a proper open and shut drama, lol

in short, the answer is, sometimes it's for weird and cynical reasons i guess but mostly it's just kinda complicated and there's plenty of very explicit stuff and more subtexty stuff can spawn more "open" art in itself so it's not something i worry about unless a story very actively gets kinda weird about things. and even then, poo poo can be a little complicated with bigger projects having a variety of different writers... poo poo, is just generally a bit complicated and not something you wanna try too hard to boil down unless you have some specific insight into some very specific thing, that explains why that thing is the way it is. but this is never gonna be a universal answer you can apply across every artist in each industry.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

tmfly one shot. nsfw and cw: abuse themes

this is some messy poo poo i love it

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 18, 2021

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

tmfly writes good stuff

how far has the official translation of their manga with not One but Two unwieldy names gotten now?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

a lot of very complicated reasons that have to do with the tension between the artists and the corporation, the fact that letting the fanbase pair up characters in various ways is a lot of the appeal of certain series, cultural norms around public displays of romance (a lot of series youd think of as having explicit het romance also dont have this stuff - goku never kisses his wife at any point in dragon ball, for instance), etc. theres a large variety of factors.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Goku doesn't know what kissing his wife is, that's a bad example.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah the point of the post is correct but my pure boy and bad dad Goku doesn't even know where babies come from I'm pretty sure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think vegeta and bulma ever kiss either!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Oh, are they the one who does so do you want to go out/how do we relationship?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Oh, are they the one who does so do you want to go out/how do we relationship?

yar! tmfly is behind both.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 19, 2021

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

S...Ssss....Steamy!!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
fear street is fun and gay. i don't care its not an anime or manga you can't stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

fear street is fun and gay. i don't care its not an anime or manga you can't stop me.

i was very sad about a couple of the deaths :(