Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i find it impossible to believe anyone has any idea what karnisovas and eversley are up to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

R.D. Mangles posted:

i find it impossible to believe anyone has any idea what karnisovas and eversley are up to

Yeah, the article also points out other sources say the just want to run it back

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I've read the bulls script and they want another former okc backup pg so they are going all in on Dennis Schröder

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they are going to send a jordan fax saying that rose...is BACK

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/hpbasketball/status/1416531317433323521?s=21

“Multiple league sources indicated this week that the Jazz were open to trade discussions. The consensus is that Derrick Favors is not only available, but Utah is eager to move him to clear his roughly $20 million in remaining salary (including a $10 million player option for 2022-23).”

If Charlotte ends up drafting a center I’d be down for them absorbing Favors’ deal

I like Favors a lot but he was horrible this year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Charlotte mostly just needs a nominal starter that can finish, rebound, and won’t block PJ center minutes or a rookie. If they can’t land Richaun the next-best FAs are like Theis and Nerlens, Favors isn’t that much worse

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

MourningView posted:

I like Favors a lot but he was horrible this year

I tried to warn you!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

I tried to warn you!

he was good before you losers got ahold of him.

It's also possible that the rest of the Utah defense is so bad now that the whole thing falls apart with almost literally anyone except Gobert.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Pacers finished filling their coaching bench:

https://twitter.com/Pacers/status/1416091252660047876

Weiner and Boucek both coming from Dallas with Carlisle, Ron Nored, former Butler Bulldog, and Lloyd Pierce after being booted from ATL so McMillan could do work.

Seems like a solid group from my bit of looking.

Nobody can replace Dan Burke though, whatever deal they need to make to get him back they should do it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

People really seemed to like Nored in Charlotte, won’t be shocked if he’s getting looks for head coach in a few years

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lloyd Pierce might be a good coach he kind of got a raw deal in Atlanta and is definitely a good assistant.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

Lloyd Pierce might be a good coach he kind of got a raw deal in Atlanta and is definitely a good assistant.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A raptors blog linked to an article saying that Chicago is interested in Lowry (and other PG's too)

https://tinyurl.com/8prv8f2t

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Would Charlotte trading No. 11 for the Knicks' 19 and 21 be terrible value or is that about right? Only similar trade I remember is the Bulls trading 16 + 19 for the 11th pick to grab McDermott.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 20, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

morestuff posted:

Would Charlotte trading No. 11 for the Knicks' 19 and 22 be terrible value or is that about right? Only similar trade I remember is the Bulls trading 16 + 19 for the 11th pick to grab McDermott.

Who does NYK go after at 11?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who does NYK go after at 11?

There's some talk they're trying to move up in the draft to have a better pick to dangle for Sexton

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

morestuff posted:

There's some talk they're trying to move up in the draft to have a better pick to dangle for Sexton

That seems odd, is Sexton really worth all that maneuvering? Could the Knicks not use the depth?

Edit: n/m I didn't realize he'd developed as much as he has

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

morestuff posted:

Would Charlotte trading No. 11 for the Knicks' 19 and 21 be terrible value or is that about right? Only similar trade I remember is the Bulls trading 16 + 19 for the 11th pick to grab McDermott.
I don't think you can evaluate just pure numbers like that, since each draft is gonna have different breaks where talent drops off. That said, for this draft that seems like a bad value for Charlotte.

To actually put names on this, would you give up either Alperen Sengun or Josh Giddey for both Ziaire Williams and Cameron Thomas? Not saying that is the exact scenario that would play out, but it's representative of the actual choice they're making.

That seems like a bad tradeoff to me, even with the lottery ticket nature of the draft. Now, they're in a position where they're going to be able to play a lot young guys a lot of minutes, so maybe taking two pulls at the slot machine at worse odds is better than one, but I see a lot of value being available at the 11 spot that wouldn't normally be there in other years. If I'm Charlotte, I don't make that trade.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I don't think there's a huge difference between 11 and 19, but I also have a lot of guys I like a lot getting mocked in the 20s right now so probably depends on your board. Especially if the Hornets really want to come out of the draft with a center since you can probably get Jackson (who played at Spire with LaMelo) with one of those.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don't think there's a huge difference between 11 and 19, but I also have a lot of guys I like a lot getting mocked in the 20s right now so probably depends on your board. Especially if the Hornets really want to come out of the draft with a center since you can probably get Jackson (who played at Spire with LaMelo) with one of those.

That was kind of my thinking. You take the chance that one of Jackson or Kai is there at 19 and pick up some extra depth. If that goes south you've still got FA and trades to fill that spot.

With how few players NYK has on the roster though I'm guessing the extra pick would have more value to them

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, in a vacuum 19+22 for 11 is reasonable but it mostly depends on who is on who's board, and if anyone is dropping.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wouldn’t actually be surprised if the Lakers traded down into the second round for a couple picks if possible.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Rick posted:

I wouldn’t actually be surprised if the Lakers traded down into the second round for a couple picks if possible.

Does that up your available cap space at all?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Calidus posted:

It means that there's no guaranteed contract coming out of this draft for them, so I'd think a 1-2 million if they stash someone

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Calidus posted:

Yes, although not in a way that would help the Lakers sign a free agent.

The only scenario where it might matter that I can think of is if the Lakers received a sign and trade player. Depending on order of operations they could theoretically have another league minimum spot open under the hard cap.

In any other scenario though it probably doesn’t matter because the Lakers are likely to be over the cap already and the rookie scale contract is already a hold they are paying for. Turning it into two league minimum spots still leaves them well above the cap.

The reason I suggested it is actually because I think the draft is good enough that swapping down with OKC or something isn’t a big decrease in talent.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I feel you.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Lot of takeaways from the finals and playoffs in general.

In general This team took a huge leap forward and up until the finals Monty Williams adjusted extremely well through some very difficult circumstances against tough teams. A lot of the decisions he made in the finals seemed puzzling to me. Specifically in tonight’s game I didn’t like seeing cam Payne riding Pine for pretty much the entire second half. I know as things tighten up teams start tightening their rotations but Torrey Craig and cam Payne needed more minutes in the finals IMO. Mikal bridges was ineffective on offense. He was great when defending anybody but Khris Middleton as usual but by game four defenders were sagging off for good reason. Would have liked to see more of torrey and cam Johnson spelling him.

Chris Paul has made this team way better. He had some stinkers here and there through the playoffs but played great tonight. If he opts out on his option year I hope Sarver ponies up.

Ayton had three incredible series in a row and one that was really rough at the end. He was great when he stuck in his lane but I don’t think he can be that guy who is, haha, DOMINAYTON when it comes to physical paint play. The suns would do well to try and find a goon to bang bodies in spot minutes. Preferably not Alex len.

Booker is a star but he fell flat tonight. He had three incredible games and two bombs in this series and he’s still 24. I’m not worried about him at all, I fully expect to see this team back making a deep run next year.

My main hopes for the off-season would be to see cam Payne and Cp3 reupped. Dario saric will be unavailable and Jalen smith need to put on weight if he’s going to back up Ayton. Kaminsky is fine in spot time but we can’t rely on him for big minutes. Cam Johnson needs to see more time split with Jae crowder. I hated the Jae signing because it’s taken minutes away from Cam but he needs to develop defensively a little more before I think we could move on from Jae.

Overall I’m thrilled with how this team played aside from the last four games. The west is a grind so who knows what the future holds but the future is very bright for this team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Nothing for the Suns to feel bad about; they did their best. All but one team end up fishing eventually. Great season full of well-earned wins. I'd try my best if I was them to run most of this team back, and if they want to, there are dudes who will be knocking on their door this summer who never would have considered the Suns without an overpay before. Lakers are just going to get older, who knows if Kawhi plays next year, the window is still open for them. Really hope Sarver doesn't Sarver. Because you'd better believe like 20 teams are going go throw their MLE at Cam Payne and the Knicks are more than willing to pay Chris Paul's price.

For the 2 and beyond Suns fans, losing in the Finals is the literal worst sports-feeling. No shame if you want to take a break from the sport for a bit. But at least right now there's still light for you and I hope y'all get your win some day soon.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Time to kick off the best part of the NBA season: The offseason.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Time to kick off the best part of the NBA season: The offseason.

not gonna be the same without all the Almost trades or signings from Danny Ainge :smith:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dexo posted:

not gonna be the same without all the Almost trades or signings from Danny Ainge :smith:

If it helps, man, he thought about not retiring, so you can say that we almost had Danny Ainge almost trades and signings.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My only disagreement with Thrilla is I think Ayton can be that guy, he definitely got schemed out this series but I think he’s smart enough to learn to learn from that and comeback better. The games the Suns won were the games where he was involved on offense and putting his body to Giannis, and I think he and the coaches csn learn how to make that happen every game. For me that’s the development the Suns have to see to get back here

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
In a way the Suns had some great misfortune that they really schemed well in game 5 but the Bucks pretty much shot the lights out so it didn't matter. Ayton actually getting to the line really ruined the Bucks interior defense and it probably would have mattered has the Bucks not been doing so well on offense. I guess you could say that about game 2 on behalf of the Bucks though, where the Bucks adjustments were meaningless due to the Sun's offense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DeimosRising posted:

My only disagreement with Thrilla is I think Ayton can be that guy, he definitely got schemed out this series but I think he’s smart enough to learn to learn from that and comeback better. The games the Suns won were the games where he was involved on offense and putting his body to Giannis, and I think he and the coaches csn learn how to make that happen every game. For me that’s the development the Suns have to see to get back here

Ayton will still get better but the Bucks stopped him by going absolutely huge and it's basically them and (healthy) Lakers that can do that anymore.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

DeimosRising posted:

I hope you’re right! But the pattern over his career so far is that he settles for soft hook shots or midrange pullups if he is getting too much body put on him on either end of the court. And he’s a decent shooter so it’s not as bad of a habit as it could be, but it definitely needs work. He’s still young.

I’m really happy that the suns are good again. It’s nice not hating all of our players. Shout out Eric bledsoe

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

Although now he has the freedom to leak deals he would've made for every team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Utah is gonna bring him home and I cannot wait to almost trade for Ben Simmons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Thinking we can mosey over to the Offseason NBA thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974063