Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Do we know if saves will transfer to the directors cut on PS5? PS4 to PS5 isn't exactly a completely known quantity overall.

On the one hand I want to transfer all my work, on the other... the idea of having an excuse to replay the game sounds pretty good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Akuma posted:

Do we know if saves will transfer to the directors cut on PS5? PS4 to PS5 isn't exactly a completely known quantity overall.

On the one hand I want to transfer all my work, on the other... the idea of having an excuse to replay the game sounds pretty good...

It's been definitely confirmed. They made a big deal about it at the feature reveal.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Director's Cut contains Kojima's Transfarring™ technology.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so are the hidden preppers in the southwest as much of a complete pain in the rear end to find and get on the network as the First Prepper was, because that was an Ordeal, postgame equipment or not

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

so are the hidden preppers in the southwest as much of a complete pain in the rear end to find and get on the network as the First Prepper was, because that was an Ordeal, postgame equipment or not

this type of question is why we have the emote :unsmigghh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

aw gently caress me i shoulda known not to ask a cursed question

like saying "how hard could it be" or "this road in SnowRunner seems safe and not muddy"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

No, the First Prepper was the most annoying by far.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Ciaphas posted:

Honestly they're not too bad. It's been a while since I've played but from what I remember you can get a pretty good loop going between them and if you set up zip lines correctly it's stupid easy to go from one to the other.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Valtonen posted:

The (eventuall, actual) ending is Good though. Like Good Good.

Wafflecopper posted:

you could turn the difficulty down for the bosses

Ok I went back and finished it after turning down to Normal to make it less annoying. Sorry for griping in the thread, I had ragequit after three attempts to make the final run back to Capital Knot with not-enough supplies on Hard. The chiral outage and forced bossfights just felt like the game I liked had been taken out of my hands. On my last attempt, I was on a bike when the first of the forced encounters started, and Sam dived off the bike into the tar in a canned animation, damaging the delivery cargo. Alt f4

Story thoughts:
– I know as well as anyone that this is Hideo's thing but now that I am older and have things to do besides play video games, I really prefer games not have hours of maudlin cutscenes
– The whole cast did a great job considering the script. Margaret Qualley and Emily O'Brien (v.o. for Amelie) were standouts imo, they really sold some weird lines
– Cliff's last segment was the one really fulfilling part of the conclusion and was an inspired turn for that character, and the memory sequence where all of a sudden he's talking to Sam was good
– The EE stuff was incomprehensible and bored me out of my mind. Didn't care about Amelie/Bridget at all

Gameplay thoughts:
– The basic gameplay of planning, preparing for, and executing delivery runs in the face of dynamic environmental hazards is really good poo poo, and I wish that this game wasn't taken away from me for the last five hours of gameplay
– The passive social network/strand connection aspect is one of my favorite ideas in gaming of the last few years and the execution was good
– The visual design, sound design, and overall atmosphere is excellent, and I loved the small immersive touches like letting Sam sit and rest while I got up to get some water instead of just pausing the game, etc.
– I agree that this game could've just not had combat at all, or just close combat against MULEs. The movement system and controls were not designed for run-and-gun combat and it just was not fun
– Boss fights were boring and frustrating. We know Kojima knows how to design interesting boss fights, like look at MGS3 where each boss has a specific atmosphere and set of mechanics to exploit, why is every boss in DS (beside Higgs which was ok) just a thing you shoot for 5 minutes
– BTs would've been cooler if each encounter were a single scary invisible miniboss with different sets of behaviors/traits that you had to figure out to either defeat or evade it, kind of thinking of the Shadow of Mordor nemesis system here. As it is, there are no really engaging or interesting aspects of interacting with BTs

Nitevision fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 18, 2021

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
Oh one more thought: Why do lethal weapons exist at all lmao. Why do they even let me print those?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nitevision posted:

Oh one more thought: Why do lethal weapons exist at all lmao. Why do they even let me print those?

Pretty sure lethal weapons deal more dmg to BTs if you first weaken them with hematic grenades.

It's a lesser known trick that's only explained in a short tutorial message

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Cowman posted:

Honestly they're not too bad. It's been a while since I've played but from what I remember you can get a pretty good loop going between them and if you set up zip lines correctly it's stupid easy to go from one to the other.

once you have the ziplines set up, you could get the three of them up to at least 4 stars just doing premium deliveries between them (especially since a lot of their requests have special conditions like timed or fragile that give more likes on delivery)

WaltherFeng posted:

Pretty sure lethal weapons deal more dmg to BTs if you first weaken them with hematic grenades.

It's a lesser known trick that's only explained in a short tutorial message

you can also create a cloud of blood by throwing a hematic grenade, and then fire bullets through the cloud to coat them with blood

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You could also use them to kill people more easily.

You know, like people do. And live with the consequences.

It would undercut the message a bit if they weren't in there.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Lethal rounds are great if only for the first time you kill a man and realize what that actually means in gameplay terms. It's a brilliant merging of gameplay and story that only video games can achieve.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Ask Me For FYAD Help
Word I get that they have a narrative role in the game's world but why can I print them out in my employer's office? Is anyone at Bridges/UCA like "hey it's okay to blast someone occasionally if you have to, voidouts aren't a big deal"? Maybe I forgot

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Edit: wrong thread.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

They should have allowed you to print a lethal weapon. Once. After that, Die-Hardman calls you and chews you out for doing it, and removes the lethal weapons from your crafting menu.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I mean the Bridges MO is the ends justify the means so they're the kind of org that absolutely would let their superstar print guns if they thought it would achieve their aims. Just burn the bodies it'll be fine.

I mean their entire infrastructure is built on slave babies

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Philippe posted:

They should have allowed you to print a lethal weapon. Once. After that, Die-Hardman calls you and chews you out for doing it, and removes the lethal weapons from your crafting menu.

Even funnier if there was a delay before he finds out, like 20 minutes. Then the secret strategy is to get all the materials and print a bunch in one go to make Sam's locker gun hoard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

holy cow the veteran porter sucks

is that adjacent square area to his west also his territory or is there one more prepper I'm missing? I've been all over that drat block looking for (and failing to find) lost cargo for that rear end in a top hat

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

is that adjacent square area to his west also his territory or is there one more prepper I'm missing? I've been all over that drat block looking for (and failing to find) lost cargo for that rear end in a top hat

I remember you have to progress in the story before his loose cargo unlocks. It's stupid

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm in the postgame and found a bit of cargo, but not enough to even hit half of one star

Ran 'round to the paleontologist, geologist, evo-devo, heartman's lab, and poo poo even routed my zips between the paleo and around to the south to the timefall farm and thence to south knot, just in case. never found more cargo, or anyone with orders to the fucker

even did the rest and get emails thing, he sent me one mail then shut the hell up

:mad: i'm gonna go play snowrunner

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

I think that is all his territory - just to the west of him are the Geologist and Paleontologist, both of whom will be filled in by story progress, so if you've still got a blank spot it's just the Veteran Porter.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

never found anyone with orders to the fucker

I forget if this applicable or not to the Veteran Porter unlock, but the game doesn't display everyone's orders at once. In order to get the orders that aren't on the screen, you have to accept 10 orders, get to the equipment fabrication screen, then back up a couple of screens I think, and then the game starts showing you past the top ten. I know the timefall guy has a lot of orders, so the Veteran Porter's was probably buried.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god is that how it works??? i'll check it out later, thanks!!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

night slime posted:

I forget if this applicable or not to the Veteran Porter unlock, but the game doesn't display everyone's orders at once. In order to get the orders that aren't on the screen, you have to accept 10 orders, get to the equipment fabrication screen, then back up a couple of screens I think, and then the game starts showing you past the top ten. I know the timefall guy has a lot of orders, so the Veteran Porter's was probably buried.

pretty sure you can also just scroll down the list

night slime
May 14, 2014
I dunno if they patched it on PC but PS4 only ever displays 10 as "available"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Huh, weird. It's been a while since I played but I definitely remember doing them without jumping through all those hoops on PC, although the UI sure didn't go out of its way to let you know they're there

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

night slime posted:

I dunno if they patched it on PC but PS4 only ever displays 10 as "available"

On PC you can see more than 10 deliveries at once. The list just scrolls.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 26, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah, didn't help me - South Knot and the Timefall Farm just plain don't have any orders for the fuckhead at all.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

(edit) After going to Timefall Farm, then the Veteran Porter and back, the farm had a single order for him. Wut? :psyduck:

hopefully this gets him the star

(e) well thank christ for that

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 25, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Today I did some experimentation with the Gravity Gloves. It turns out that the two LCD displays on one of the gloves actually mean something! The hearts show how much blood you have (not counting bloodbags), and the teal numbers reflect how full your battery is.

In this image, I had unequipped all my blood bags and gotten rid of half my blood supply by throwing grenades. There are only one and a half hearts in this image.

In this image I had sprinted away a bunch of my electricity, and the battery is drained. Thus, the numbers have changed from 139 (which is a full battery plus an extra backpack battery) to 110.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Landing thrusters! Buddy Bot can take you to a destination while you take in the scenery! New music! Sneaking missions! Ultra extreme ramps with tricks! Racing VS ghosts of other players! A weird dark upside-down crab whale room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Yoozt03sc

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
It's great to see more of how the cargo cannon works. Get to play Lunar Lander with your deliveries 🤩

night slime
May 14, 2014
I tried to get the blood/pee grenades once and picked the waterfall spot to jump off and started getting an actual fear of heights sensation somehow. It's good to see the boosters will let you get that without dying

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

ULTRA EXTREME

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well this sure would be a thing

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1431982317338300420?s=20

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Game of the year 2019 deserves a sequel imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I'm really more a fan of the one and done these days. Reuse your technology in a new game but let the world, characters, and story stand on their own.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I question how they'd continue the story, but Kojima is no stranger to complete tonal and locational switches, often with deliberate jarring effects. If true, I'm all for it.

.. Did the Death Stranding happen on alien planets? Presumably it did, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You don’t need other planets, we’ve still got multiple continents left to deliver packages on.