Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IMO the best Netflix original from the last three years has to be The Dark Crystal. Truly astonishing what they achieved on that show, and quite moving too. The last few episodes managed to be very powerful, both in good and upsetting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Dark (Germany), Kingdom (Korea), and The Last Kingdom are my Netflix must-binge!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Seconding The Last Kingdom. Reminds me of what Vikings could be if it was actually consistently good.

In other news, did you guys know that Frank Darabont just won a lawsuit against AMC over being hosed over on The Walking Dead? He just got a $200 million settlement.

https://gizmodo.com/walking-dead-lawsuit-ends-in-200-million-settlement-1847310301

Robert Kirkman still has his own lawsuit against AMC pending. AMC is hosed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not hosed at all. They make way more than that off walking dead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Adam from YMS has a really good and funny review of TWD seasons 1 and 2 and he points out and explains how the shows budget was limited and how each episode they kept having to do more with less...

And I realized that just continued for a dozen or so seasons at this point, despite being a ratings bonanza for the network. Most shows become more and more expensive as they become more popular, add characters, and get more involved plots; but not Walking Dead...
:laugh:

I honestly can't believe its still on the air and birthing spinoffs. :aaa:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Doctor Who (arguably one of the most popular shows on the planet) has had it's budget cut every season.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Doctor Who suffers from airing on public television.
So the countless of millions of dollars that Doctor Who as a property makes doesn't go towards making more episodes or even just making the show better, it goes towards every series on BBC.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
loving Tories gutting the BBC is the problem.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 17, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doctor Who suffers from being poo poo boring garbage written by idiots and jackasses more than anything else

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Doctor Who suffers from being poo poo boring garbage written by idiots and jackasses more than anything else

Nah, what, Doctor Who rules. And some the people who've worked on the show -- Douglas Adams, Russell T. Davies, Dennis Spooner, Robert Holmes -- are just insanely talented writers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Too bad none of them are there now

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, what, Doctor Who rules. And some the people who've worked on the show -- Douglas Adams, Russell T. Davies, Dennis Spooner, Robert Holmes -- are just insanely talented writers.

Yeah RTD rules. He is also the last time the show was good

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Hakkesshu posted:

Too bad none of them are there now

Yeah, this does righteously suck. They've been good individual writers here and there -- e.g. Toby Whithouse, who also made Being Human -- but the people in charge since RTD have either been macho chodes (Moffat) or vapid milquetoasts (Chibnall). There are good episodes all over the place, but the top down stuff has been consistently wonky.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Broadchurch is better than anything the other showrunners have done, but obviously Chibnall isn't getting the same quality out of Doctor Who.

Oasx fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 19, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oasx posted:

Boradchurch is better than anything the other showrunners have done, but obviously Chibnall isn't getting the same quality out of Doctor Who.

Better than It's A Sin, Casanova, The Second Coming and Cucumber?

(I assume stuff like The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy wouldn't count here because it's the product of a Classic Who showrunner (or "script editor") but I'd definitely argue that was better than Broadchurch too.)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oasx posted:

So the countless of millions of dollars that Doctor Who as a property makes doesn't go towards making more episodes or even just making the show better, it goes towards every series on BBC.

Are they making money on it? I thought the BBC only made revenue off the stuff that is attractive for overseas licensing, which I thought Doctor Who didn't fall under.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Escobarbarian posted:

To think we used to bitch about RTD's writing, we didn't know how good we had it compared to the last few years, blowjob sidewalk slab and all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never Have I Ever is good this season but the mom and Common have no chemistry whatsoever which makes their romantic storyline a little awkward

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Adam from YMS has a really good and funny review of TWD seasons 1 and 2 and he points out and explains how the shows budget was limited and how each episode they kept having to do more with less...

At the time, weren't most AMC shows getting their budgets cut so that they could add to the budget of Mad Men? I remember that being a big talking point at the time, but not sure if it was true or not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Mr Inbetween finale was fantastic. Super bummed no season 4. Enjoyed the show quite a bit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

At the time, weren't most AMC shows getting their budgets cut so that they could add to the budget of Mad Men? I remember that being a big talking point at the time, but not sure if it was true or not.

AMC was definitely pulling a lot of insane budget poo poo around that time. Breaking Bad was still budgeting for bottle episodes up until Season 4.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just hit the first trickster episode of Supernatural (s2e15) and god I forgot how much I loved that guy

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Aardvark! posted:

Just hit the first trickster episode of Supernatural (s2e15) and god I forgot how much I loved that guy

My favorite character in that whole series, he was my avatar for like 8 years before this one :buddy:

The episode where he sends Sam and Dean through different genres of tv shows is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

HOLY gently caress posted:

My favorite character in that whole series, he was my avatar for like 8 years before this one :buddy:

The episode where he sends Sam and Dean through different genres of tv shows is one of my favorite episodes of anything ever

I really wish they hadn't gone and made him Gabriel. He was a great enough character without needing to serve some greater purpose.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HOLY gently caress posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh6vh6_zizM

I love it so much

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Watched the first five episodes of Doom Patrol and I'm not sure I like it. It looks really good and has high production values, but I don't really like wacky shows where the plot progresses by completely unpredictable and illogical plot points. I also really hate the Jane character. Should I continue?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yes.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Why tf do the Disney marvel shows have non-auto skip credits that are up to like 8/9 minutes long sometimes? And having mid-credits scenes half the time makes it a nightmare.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Annabel Pee posted:

Why tf do the Disney marvel shows have non-auto skip credits that are up to like 8/9 minutes long sometimes? And having mid-credits scenes half the time makes it a nightmare.

I've been watching a bunch of 80s and 90s movies lately and it's so nice knowing that it's over when the credits roll. In fact, I actually stopped watching for mid credits scenes with the marvel movies and shows and just Google them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I just fast forward.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Grey posted:

I also really hate the Jane character.

What the gently caress

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Oasx posted:

Privately owned TV doesn't work like this either. The whole point of TV as a business (or anything as a business) is for the owner to extract more than they put in.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah the ending of Black Monday this week holy loving poo poo

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
2 episodes into Leverage: Redemption and show doesn't seem to have lost a beat since it ended.

And I'm sort of digging Noah Wyle as the new guy.

Parker being excited about vents was :3:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Good news in that the Kids in the Hall revival for Amazon has finished filming. Hopefully that means we'll be getting it sometime this year.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Back in the 90s or early 2000s I remember Dave Foley on one of the late night shows talking about how they stopped doing the show because it was becoming more like Really Old Men in the Hall and I'm bummed they're not calling this revival that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going from social media posts it looks like a mix of returning bits (C/Kathy, Buddy Cole) and new stuff. Also they brought back the band that did the original theme.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man Evil is loving fantastic. This weeks Zombies/Amazon episode was just :chefskiss:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Do I have to watch Evil from the beginning to "get" it, or could I jump into a newer episode first to see if it's for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Popelmon posted:

Man Evil is loving fantastic. This weeks Zombies/Amazon episode was just :chefskiss:

yeah that ending especially was loving great. really good episode

feedmyleg posted:

Do I have to watch Evil from the beginning to "get" it, or could I jump into a newer episode first to see if it's for me?

there’s some serialised stuff but the main storyline/s for each episode are usually stand-alone. I’d say watch from the beginning but that’s my go-to advice for any show, I don’t think you need to