Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I honestly don't see any sense to this concept. In what world is it ever going to be faster to take your hand off your mouse and touch your screen than to press alt-tab? Any game that is a pain in the rear end to alt-tab is almost certainly going to not behave well when you start touching your second screen, so I see no benefits there. Also, your current monitor sucks. If you're mostly playing FPS, the thing that will benefit you the most is getting off 60hz.

If you're referring to a map or walkthrough then it would be handy. Even a fast alt-tab is clunkier, especially if you have to remember a combo or something. I've considered using my old tablet for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

K8.0 posted:

I honestly don't see any sense to this concept. In what world is it ever going to be faster to take your hand off your mouse and touch your screen than to press alt-tab? Any game that is a pain in the rear end to alt-tab is almost certainly going to not behave well when you start touching your second screen, so I see no benefits there. Also, your current monitor sucks. If you're mostly playing FPS, the thing that will benefit you the most is getting off 60hz.

Maybe speed isn't a good comparison but I figured convenience/comfort in the same way Im currently using my 10in tablet (sitting on my left hand side). I hate alt-tabbing because I just never trust it, regardless of the game so I like the idea of being able to just drop whatever im doing on the side map easily rather than having to alt tab back into the game.

also yeah good point on the primary monitor,, thats a good point to consider since if I do end up getting a replacement for the primary my primary would become my secondary, versus if I bought a separate touchscreen then Im still using 60hz monitor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Pre-orders are going up for the Samsung Odyssey G70A, i.e. the 4K144 IPS display from theirs. How are Samsung's IPS panels in general?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
An LG Ultragear Prime Day discount tale:

Monitor 1: One dead pixel, to the right and down from center. Didn’t notice it until I had the panel for 48 hours and saw a dirty spot that wouldn’t clean. Went to Amazon, asked for exchange.

Monitor 2: immediately find a web site to check for dead pixels creating a rather large dark blob in the upper right region. Nervous about returning a return, called Amazon and had a 45 minute session with the rep that my replacement is even worse than the original. I was first advised to get a refund and try another store, then offered either a new monitor or a forgiveness credit of $30 (making it $250 pre-tax) to accept the first monitor. Nearly took the credit, but got indecisive at the very last second and decided to gamble on a third monitor. The rep had to put me on hold many times to authorize this with her manager. I get the feeling I am out of goodwill with Amazon.

As the past few days pass, I stare at the first screen, unable to determine if I actually see the one dead pixel or not. In most cases my aging eyes do have to get close, but in a bright website background it’s definitely visible. I am resolved to make either this monitor or the replacement work. Will it be worth the gamble?

Monitor 3: No dead pixels. Also the cables and manuals and stuff were bagged in a meta-bag for their own containment, while Monitors 1 & 2 they were loosely scattered through the box.

TLDR: I suspect not all new monitors are actually new.

And now, I can finally fuckin’ deal. While I suppose I could have taken the discount, I’m just glad I didn’t pass on it to play monitor roulette and just get more of the same.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's like the sort of experience people used to have 5 years ago with early AUO 1440p 144hz IPS panels. A very rare thing these days, you got super unlucky. Glad you wound up with a good one.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah definitely sounds like my experience with a 1440p 144hz monitor 5 years ago haha, was a huge poo poo show and hope to not have to go though that again. But got an AW2721D for super cheap and can't even believe how little blacklight bleed there is, I was honestly surprised compared to my PG279Q guess stuff has improved in the last 5 years or so.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I had the center dead pixel on a 38-inch UltraGear bought early this year. I sent it back for a refund (Amazon wouldn’t replace, for whatever reason) and just waited for either A) a 38-inch monitor from a brand with better QC or B) or one hell of a deal to justify playing the panel lottery again.

It kinda ended up being the latter; a few weeks ago, I got that AW38 for almost 700 bucks less than the UltraGear. No issues so far, luckily.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

Rakeris posted:

Yeah definitely sounds like my experience with a 1440p 144hz monitor 5 years ago haha, was a huge poo poo show and hope to not have to go though that again. But got an AW2721D for super cheap and can't even believe how little blacklight bleed there is, I was honestly surprised compared to my PG279Q guess stuff has improved in the last 5 years or so.

I too got a 5 year old IPS 1440p 144 hz monitors (Acer XB270H one of the first high refresh rate IPS ones). I was planning on replacing it with an OLED monitor but 5 years later none are still within a reasonable price or size. Are the best high refresh rate 144hz IPS monitors today offer a significant increase in picture quality, contrast and speed or is it just marginal compared to 5 years ago?

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Are the LG Ultrafines worth it? Looking at buying a single big monitor for my work which is mostly staring at text all day and I want it to look real drat good. I also occasionally game so that’s on the table too but not the most important.

[Edit] This would be on a Mac

sailormoon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 18, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ultrafine’s are great for work. As far as I know, they max 60hz and have a pretty high response time, but that’s only something you’d care about if you do fast paced gaming a lot. Unless you’ve experienced 120 or 144hz, you wont really even know what 60hz looks like or why it’s “bad” for stuff.

Absolutely great for work though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Ultrafine’s are great for work. As far as I know, they max 60hz and have a pretty high response time, but that’s only something you’d care about if you do fast paced gaming a lot. Unless you’ve experienced 120 or 144hz, you wont really even know what 60hz looks like or why it’s “bad” for stuff.

Absolutely great for work though.

That is the big downside of going to 120/144hz, you can never use a 60hz panel the same again

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Judging by naming, I'm assuming UltraFine is LG's equivalent of Dell's UltraSharp? Because UltraSharps are the bee's knees.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Mang Tomas posted:

I too got a 5 year old IPS 1440p 144 hz monitors (Acer XB270H one of the first high refresh rate IPS ones). I was planning on replacing it with an OLED monitor but 5 years later none are still within a reasonable price or size. Are the best high refresh rate 144hz IPS monitors today offer a significant increase in picture quality, contrast and speed or is it just marginal compared to 5 years ago?

Comparing the two, (my asus, vs the AW) it's a marginal difference. The AW does look nicer with a higher refresh rate, bit better contrast, and less bleed, but it's not huge, the HDR is cool for the one game I have played with it. (BL3)

Honesty I wouldn't spend 600+ on a new 1440p 144+, sure the newer ones are "better" but it definitely feels like a mostly minor if all around improvement, only thing that feels maybe worth it is the higher refresh rate (240hz).

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
So, I don't know if this is a thing, but is there like wireless monitors, or monitors that run on batteries, or really light weight monitors that have a laptop kind of form factor?

Use case is that I have a very powerful gaming PC, but sometimes I like to draw or game either in my bed or in this big lounger when I'm not using my desk. My keyboard cable and mouse cable and all that are long enough to reach the bed and the lounger (It's one of those folding dealies with three parts.) I have a little wire desk, but lately when I want to make that switch from desk -> lounging, I have to lug around a huge monitor, and it doesn't really work. I could run the HDMI to the TV but then it's not really a good angle for drawing.

So what keywords would I look for for a monitor that has a very sturdy base, and is maybe wireless?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

So, I don't know if this is a thing, but is there like wireless monitors, or monitors that run on batteries, or really light weight monitors that have a laptop kind of form factor?

Use case is that I have a very powerful gaming PC, but sometimes I like to draw or game either in my bed or in this big lounger when I'm not using my desk. My keyboard cable and mouse cable and all that are long enough to reach the bed and the lounger (It's one of those folding dealies with three parts.) I have a little wire desk, but lately when I want to make that switch from desk -> lounging, I have to lug around a huge monitor, and it doesn't really work. I could run the HDMI to the TV but then it's not really a good angle for drawing.

So what keywords would I look for for a monitor that has a very sturdy base, and is maybe wireless?

You're looking for a "portable monitor" but your use case sounds like a tablet would be a way better option.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can you hook a tablet up to a gaming PC? That'd rule, and be cheap.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Boba Pearl posted:

The easiest solution is probably Steam Link app.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Well, it's good for everything else except the gaming, ha.

Depending on HOW you game though, you could use a tablet to use that xCloud or Steam Link thing. It's just for quick sessions, it shouldn't be too bad. It's similar to my setup, but I'm on a Mac. I use my main Mac for obvious stuff, but then use my iPad as a leisure device to finish up documents away from my computer, but then in my bed sometimes to watch movies or shows etc. I could draw on it too if I had gotten the Apple Pencil.

The PC counterpart to this should be easier to do, however. You could use Steam Link, which uses your computer's hardware anyway (and your internet speed etc) to push the game to whatever device (in this case, a tablet) is connected. Then add a stylus to that and you've got access to drawing stuff too. All the big brands have their own model of a keyboard case, like the Tab S7 Bookcase. It adds a keyboard and trackpad to that whole setup if you need one, but it's not mechanical and not really *meant* for gaming, but I'm sure it'll suffice. Hell, you could even get one of those weird Windows tablet/laptop combo things. Then you can just run any exe, but if gaming is your main thing, Steam Link may be your best option since it's not limited by the device's hardware.

That being said, the tablet route is a lot of money, but it does semi-solve the wireless thing. It kills the need to move any wires and makes all of your stuff accessible wirelessly, but in that, you're buying a tablet, a keyboard + trackpad case, and then configuring everything.

The portable monitor would just be a more lightweight monitor that's exactly what you're after. Lightweight, portable, has a built-in kickstand so it can plop anywhere, can run off a USB-C cable for power.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If you don't mind, I'm going to take a few pictures of my goon hovel, because I'm wondering if one of those rotating arms could help?

https://i.imgur.com/oxhekvc.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/xSZeRPf.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/TO92hF3.jpeg

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

If you don't mind, I'm going to take a few pictures of my goon hovel, because I'm wondering if one of those rotating arms could help?

https://i.imgur.com/oxhekvc.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/xSZeRPf.jpeg https://i.imgur.com/TO92hF3.jpeg

Blessed cat :3:

I think with your desk level, multiple chair positions and monitors an arm would be a huge improvement to ergonomics and useability.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Given the overall space of your setup, it might be easier to make or set up various "stations" to do whatever it is you'd need to.

Or, if you have the means to, you could change your desk to something more stable and add a monitor with a long arm, using the second monitor as a dual-display setup on the current build. You get one that goes into the desk itself, then you just swing it over to the futon when you want to play there. You could also pair that with a bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and/or controller, or just carry over the ones you have now there, but then you just add the burden of their respective cables.

If you wanted to either be more or less insane, I can't figure out which, you could get a monitor paired with an arm to go here:

I'm assuming that HDMI cable is for the monitor when you move it, but here it would connect to the monitor, and then just power it through a wall outlet somewhere. You may need to buy a longer one, I'm assuming, but they're usually under $10 on Amazon.

These are all just ideas to save some space, really. The tablet idea eliminates the need for the wire-desk, and with its case, eliminates the wires needed for the keyboard and mouse. The monitor arm idea with the more stable desk saves the most space, maybe, as it doesn't alter some other thing in the space, but allows you to move the monitor to where you may need it. The monitor next to the TV idea only really eliminates the need for the wire desk, but keeps everything else where it is.

Another easier idea may be just getting a portable desk and put some furniture moving pads under the legs so it can slide to and fro easily. If you mess with cabling to allow things to move freely everywhere in the room, it saves the most money, but then also lets you use your same desk with the same equipment anywhere you'd need it to be. Cabling may be the biggest issue here, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Boba Pearl posted:

Like already mentioned, remote control software or streaming like steamlink would do this, but you can actually use a tablet or phone as a monitor with an HDMI to USB adapter for about $10 (plus some cables), but it's not going to be low latency for games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZLEUOG9k4Y

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah I think the arm is best then, out of all my options. Thanks guys, gals and pals!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

fwiw Lenovo recently announced a small android tablet with HDMI in

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't really understand this space very well, or how modern USB-C connectivity stuff works, but there are portable monitors that you can move around more easily, like these: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-portable-monitors

Like with that Asus ZenScreen, it looks like if your PC has USB-C with PD, you don't even need separate power cables for it. Not sure how practical that would be for your setup.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't really understand this space very well, or how modern USB-C connectivity stuff works, but there are portable monitors that you can move around more easily, like these: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-portable-monitors

Like with that Asus ZenScreen, it looks like if your PC has USB-C with PD, you don't even need separate power cables for it. Not sure how practical that would be for your setup.

I have that Lenovo M14 (also the touched version, M14t) and it's really slick for what it does.

e: technically my wife uses the M14 with her macbook and I have the M14t but either way we have both and they are nice. The M14t could be a neat stream-deck thing since it has touch.

TheDK fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 19, 2021

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Having just purchased a new gaming PC with suggestions from the PC building thread, I'm now looking into buying a new screen to replace my aging ASUS VP247 23.6" FHD (1920x1080) screen. I've been playing 1080P@60hz for a long time and the PC building thread recommended I look into 1440p@144hz as the new PC i bought seems to support that.

Any suggestions based on my current screen? (24") Budget would be around 300$ CAD if possible.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug
The LG 27GL83A-B is the current thread darling for 1440p@144hz. There's a couple other models that are relatively comparable, but this one seems quite favorable to the thread in general. I picked one up myself that I'm using right now, and it's excellent.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cyberdud posted:

Having just purchased a new gaming PC with suggestions from the PC building thread, I'm now looking into buying a new screen to replace my aging ASUS VP247 23.6" FHD (1920x1080) screen. I've been playing 1080P@60hz for a long time and the PC building thread recommended I look into 1440p@144hz as the new PC i bought seems to support that.

Any suggestions based on my current screen? (24") Budget would be around 300$ CAD if possible.

I'd wait until your budget is 450 or even 500 CAD. 300 is a bit low for a 1440p 144hz monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyberdud posted:

If you bought that 3070 machine, it should support 1440p@144fps in many games but not all. Heavy AAA games will probably struggle a bit (not even 3090s can achieve that framerate at 1080p on Cyberpunk 2077, for example). Still, you can get a solid 1440p variable refresh rate experience with that card.

That said, that budget is too low for a 1440p@144hz monitor. You're looking at spending closer to $400 - 450 CAD for a decent one of those. That's also an uncommon resolution at 24 inches. If you're willing to go up to 27 inches, the Gigabyte M27Q is $400 CAD, which looks to be the cheapest option available for what I'd call a good quality monitor (RTings review).

If you're unwilling to stretch the budget and/or want a 24" display instead, then you'll have to stick with 1080p. The Acer Nitro series is reportedly very good for that price range. In my opinion, if you want to stick to 24 inches, going from 1080p to 1440p won't give you a massive quality upgrade anyway. I have two 24 inch monitors, one of each resolution, and the quality difference in video games is minor to my eyes. And the 3070 will be able to hit 144 fps more consistently at 1080p if that level of smoothness matters a lot to you. Though the bigger 1440p screens do look really nice, I'll admit.

Praxis Prion posted:

The LG 27GL83A-B is the current thread darling for 1440p@144hz. There's a couple other models that are relatively comparable, but this one seems quite favorable to the thread in general. I picked one up myself that I'm using right now, and it's excellent.

It should be noted that the 27GP850 (and 27GP83B) is the newest version of this monitor that offers some minor improvements. It's also well over budget for him.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 19, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

definitely try to save up for a good 1440p @144hz, you have the graphics card to do it and the difference is incredible.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If it's possible to do so, try using a 1440p monitor in person before you decide to get one. I got a 27 inch model, and while the increased refresh rate and adaptive sync are amazing, everything at the default scale is far too small. Changing scaling to 125% across the board makes things bigger but blurrier, and only scaling text results in weird-looking layouts. I picked up a 1920x1200 monitor and now the 1440p is just something I plug in when I want to play an action game without a lot of UI or text.

Lots of people seem to love that size/resolution combo so I'm an outlier, but I have seen other people mention having to fiddle with scaling.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If it's possible to do so, try using a 1440p monitor in person before you decide to get one. I got a 27 inch model, and while the increased refresh rate and adaptive sync are amazing, everything at the default scale is far too small. Changing scaling to 125% across the board makes things bigger but blurrier, and only scaling text results in weird-looking layouts. I picked up a 1920x1200 monitor and now the 1440p is just something I plug in when I want to play an action game without a lot of UI or text.

Lots of people seem to love that size/resolution combo so I'm an outlier, but I have seen other people mention having to fiddle with scaling.

When was the last time you've tried the windows scaling option? It's still far from perfect, but it's gotten a lot better over the years. Only a handful of apps are blurry for me now, and you can set custom app scaling settings to work around those.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Cyberdud posted:

For 1440p at 27", check this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPqOfTnU2j4

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

When was the last time you've tried the windows scaling option? It's still far from perfect, but it's gotten a lot better over the years. Only a handful of apps are blurry for me now, and you can set custom app scaling settings to work around those.
It's been a few months, and there's definitely a chance I missed something obvious. I'm also running Windows 11 now so maybe there have been additional improvements. I'll tinker with it later.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, I'm planning to soon upgrade to a new machine that has a 3070Ti. I'm thinking about upgrading my monitors later to get a bit more screen room.

I currently have two 1080p 24" monitors, one 60hz and one 144hz. I've never been able to get the 144hz to work alongside the 60hz one, so they both run at 60hz.

The things I mostly want are:

• to play games, most of which don't actually care about having a refresh rate about 60. I'm looking forward to Endwalker, and will be doing some other stuff, but nothing like an FPS. I'll be using the second monitor for generic PC things while a game is up on the other.
  • I would like to move up to a slightly higher resolution, on the grounds that I'd really like a bit more space for FFXIV's user interface.
  • I do a fair amount of graphic design work in inDesign and would like to have a higher resolution for that, too.
  • to be able to hook up the work laptop (a reasonably nice Dell) via the docking station and use the same desk for that

Can I run two 1440p monitors at 60 or 75hz with a 3070Ti? Is it dumb to buy 144hz monitors if you're only going to run them at 60hz? Is there a nice monitor you can buy that doesn't come with that high refresh rate?

Would it make more sense to just buy one 1440p monitor and replace the 60hz monitor with that while keeping the other one?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If it's possible to do so, try using a 1440p monitor in person before you decide to get one. I got a 27 inch model, and while the increased refresh rate and adaptive sync are amazing, everything at the default scale is far too small.

Not trying to be a dick but have you had your eyes tested? Or are you sitting really far from the screen? At around arm's length from a 27" 1440p screen you shouldn't be having trouble reading the default text size.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

So, I'm planning to soon upgrade to a new machine that has a 3070Ti. I'm thinking about upgrading my monitors later to get a bit more screen room.

I currently have two 1080p 24" monitors, one 60hz and one 144hz. I've never been able to get the 144hz to work alongside the 60hz one, so they both run at 60hz.

The things I mostly want are:

• to play games, most of which don't actually care about having a refresh rate about 60. I'm looking forward to Endwalker, and will be doing some other stuff, but nothing like an FPS. I'll be using the second monitor for generic PC things while a game is up on the other.
  • I would like to move up to a slightly higher resolution, on the grounds that I'd really like a bit more space for FFXIV's user interface.
  • I do a fair amount of graphic design work in inDesign and would like to have a higher resolution for that, too.
  • to be able to hook up the work laptop (a reasonably nice Dell) via the docking station and use the same desk for that

Can I run two 1440p monitors at 60 or 75hz with a 3070Ti? Is it dumb to buy 144hz monitors if you're only going to run them at 60hz? Is there a nice monitor you can buy that doesn't come with that high refresh rate?

Would it make more sense to just buy one 1440p monitor and replace the 60hz monitor with that while keeping the other one?

There shouldn't be anything stopping you from running the 144hz monitor at 144hz. I was running a 144hz screen primary and 60hz secondary until I got my ultrawide. Admittedly, the moment you put any GPU-accelerated things on the slower screen everything goes down to that refresh rate so having Youtube on can be problematic, but browser windows and simple things like that should still be able to work.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

There shouldn't be anything stopping you from running the 144hz monitor at 144hz. I was running a 144hz screen primary and 60hz secondary until I got my ultrawide. Admittedly, the moment you put any GPU-accelerated things on the slower screen everything goes down to that refresh rate so having Youtube on can be problematic, but browser windows and simple things like that should still be able to work.

Correct, Windows can handle multiple refresh rates just fine. It can even handle multiple GPU-accelerated things at different refresh rates on AMD cards. Nvidia drivers seem to be bugged though from what I've heard (and have been for years). This may be another manifestation of Nvidia's buggy multi-monitor handling?

For your issue, you can try disabling hardware-accelerated video rendering in your browser settings (in chrome, it's on the chrome://flags page)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my friend constantly had issues with gsync not working correctly while watching poo poo in browsers so now he watches twitch in mpv and it works fine gpu accelerated

browser acceleration is somhow even more of a shitshow than gpu drivers themselves these days