Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
inverters going along a twisted pair, into an AND gate

8====D

e: hello new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Dominoes posted:

Design in a big label that says "Don't tap the mic"

Cojawfee posted:

Set up snipers to shoot anyone about to tap the mic.

lol

I should probably clarify that this isn't actually a karaoke night microphone or something. Its a wearable device that detects audio and does some DSP trickery. Because its wearable, its susceptible to getting knocked/banged/bumped and this causes high amplitude spikes that clip the ADC and ruin the signal.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Cyril Sneer posted:

We're doing some audio stuff at work and one issue we always have to contend with is high-amplitude low-frequency impulses saturating the ADC, which arise from things like physical tapping of the microphone. I don't want to reinvent the wheel here; I feel like this is something that the audio world has surely dealt with. I'm vaguely aware of things like limiting circuits and soft clippers, but looking this stuff up its largely presented in the context of intentional distortion. Any ideas or some keywords here would be most helpful!

Question: Does this saturation cause other issues than hard clipping in the ADC? If not then I'd say a software fix might be preferable; it will involve clipping anyway so a DSP limiter is probably desirable anyway.
Another question: why is your analog saturation level higher than the ADCs? This potentially means dynamic range is being sacrificed; though I can see a design targeting optimal sensitivity ending up in this situation.

The hardware fix will be some variation of non linearity, hard or soft clipping is AFAIK typically just done with diodes; the higher the source impedance the softer they will clip.
Fixing it right at the ADC (ideal if there are issues beyond the saturation itself) would probably involve putting current steering diodes to the maximum positive and negative voltage the ADC can handle (and perhaps a slight attenuator before the ADC).

Fake e: seems like the following isn't the issue but it might have some educational value
Or is the issue that a large e.g. positive transient causes the ADC to saturate for a long time after the transient, i.e. for a positive pulse the ADC saturates high during the pulse then stays saturated at the low for some longer time after?
This behaviour is most easily fixed by decreasing the AC coupling caps to increase the minimum input frequency to some higher value. To maintain DC balance the integral of the positive pulse must be the same as the following negative trail; if you increase the cutoff frequency the negative trail will have a higher amplitude but will be quicker.
You could possibly fit some clipping diodes to help with this effect, or e.g. add some active clamping circuitry.

E: or obviously you could put in a high(ish) speed variable gain/automatic gain amplifier, but since it must respect causality (i.e. it can't see the future) it can only respond after the clipping has already started.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Cyril Sneer posted:

lol

I should probably clarify that this isn't actually a karaoke night microphone or something. Its a wearable device that detects audio and does some DSP trickery. Because its wearable, its susceptible to getting knocked/banged/bumped and this causes high amplitude spikes that clip the ADC and ruin the signal.

Is it possible to use compression? You can do simple audio compression with a simple optical circuit, like a photoresistor picking up an led for use as feedback.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Design

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
somebody on craigslist is giving away a heathkit oscilloscope in working order and i'm currently shamefully attempting to undercut whoever dibsed it with offers of money b/c oh man, man oh man oh man

i actually need a scope to boot but i never expected to run into a gorgeous old analog model to start off with

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm thinking for the mic tapping problem that a highpass filter is in order. Is this intended to normally transmit the human voice? There's not really any useful information below about 120-150 hz or so, you can chop freely below there.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

compressor/limiter is the first keyword that comes to mind. I used to be really partial to an old Symetrix model, the 525.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PRADA SLUT posted:

Let's assume I can hit any trace on the board. How would I apply a correct voltage to the MCU, while still allowing for uploading a program over usb from the computer, without drawing USB power? I can see how I do the former, but not both at the same time. Would I need to shunt USB +V but keep the data pins?

e: I don't have a JTAG connector for USB > Serial off-hand to try and hit the serial traces directly, bypassing the USB stage.

IF you can hit any trace on the board, figure out which one is sucking all the power down and lift it off the board, then see if the chip boots. It's probably down to one pin on one port having something wrong inside. This isn't a problem with USB power (probably) or weak voltage regulator; it's probably an issue with the main MCU chip itself having gotten something spicy somewhere and being turned into a big diode with not-big-enough series resistor. If you keep powering the thing in this condition, you'll turn your MCU into a smoke-emitting diode.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
This article discusses building active clippers to avoid going out of an ADC's range:

https://www.analog.com/en/technical-articles/op-amp-precision-positive-negative-clipper-using-lt6015-lt6016-lt6017.html

The key thing is that you have to use op amps that can live with the positive and negative input voltages being different by a large amount. A lot of precision op amps don't allow that.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

longview posted:

Question: Does this saturation cause other issues than hard clipping in the ADC? If not then I'd say a software fix might be preferable; it will involve clipping anyway so a DSP limiter is probably desirable anyway.
Another question: why is your analog saturation level higher than the ADCs? This potentially means dynamic range is being sacrificed; though I can see a design targeting optimal sensitivity ending up in this situation.

The hardware fix will be some variation of non linearity, hard or soft clipping is AFAIK typically just done with diodes; the higher the source impedance the softer they will clip.
Fixing it right at the ADC (ideal if there are issues beyond the saturation itself) would probably involve putting current steering diodes to the maximum positive and negative voltage the ADC can handle (and perhaps a slight attenuator before the ADC).

Yes, at its core its a dynamic range issue - we're going for sensitivity. Our signal of interest is quite weak, so our gain stage is designed to bring it into (more or less) the full range of the ADC. So, when large amplitude events happen, they saturate the ADC input.

I've seen this diode approach mentioned elsewhere but I'm not sure it'll really work. It seems you're just trading off ADC clipping for diode clipping. The issue with the clipping isn't component damage, its that under an FFT, it causes all sorts of artifacts -- presumably the diode clipping would do the same.

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 17, 2021

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm thinking for the mic tapping problem that a highpass filter is in order. Is this intended to normally transmit the human voice? There's not really any useful information below about 120-150 hz or so, you can chop freely below there.

We have one around 150 Hz, but a real filter doesn't provide perfect attenuation, so big stuff can still get through. Additionally, the frequency content of these impulse events can be fairly broad.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

petit choux posted:

compressor/limiter is the first keyword that comes to mind. I used to be really partial to an old Symetrix model, the 525.

Yeah, I've been looking into compressor/limiters. This is for an IoT device so I can't stick a 525 inside it :)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
The optical compressor seems like the simplest one but I've never implemented them per se. Seems like it could be simple, but the problem is the characteristics depend on the specific parts you use. Also it uses a photoresistor, I mistakenly said phototransistor before.

From: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/4-types-of-analog-compression-and-why-they-matter-in-a-digital-world.html

quote:

Optical Compression

This one might just be my favorite—not to use, necessarily, but to describe. Why? Because it depends on light, or more specifically, light-dependent resistors!

But wait, what’s a resistor? To properly get into this stuff requires talking about the nature of electricity. This would result in a heady discussion that would bore the pants off of both of us, so let’s skip the science and go right to a metaphor commonly used to describe resistance—that of water going through a pipe.

Just picture it: water flows through the pipe, and the pipe carries the water where it needs to go.

So far so good, right?

But what if we put a cap on that pipe, one with a few small holes? Yes, water may only trickle through the holes, but the resistance of the water on the other end of that pipe—the pressure of it—has increased as it builds up. Thus, when a pop-science article on resistors states that “if you turn the volume down, you're actually turning up the resistance”, the metaphor helps us to understand why this the case. We now begin to see the function of resistors in the circuit of a compressor—they help put the squeeze on the signal we need to tame.

But how does this impact the sonic characteristics of optical circuits?

In an optical compressor, the resistors are light-dependent: the audio signal feeds a lighting element (such as an LED), which shines upon a light-sensitive resistor. The resistance of this light sensitive element informs the compression circuit how much and how quickly to attenuate the audio signal.

The wrinkle here is that this interplay between the light source and the resistor, while fast, is not instantaneous. Furthermore, different types of light sources illuminate at different speeds, and a resistor can react differently depending on the material from which it is made. For this reason, an optical compressor’s sonic behavior is highly dependant on the types of materials used in its construction.

But here’s a commonality between them, no matter the make: the attack and release of an optical circuit is (at least most of the time) definitely not linear, often involving a bit of delay before the attack kicks in, and additional delay as the release drops off.

For instance, the harder you hit an optical compressor, the quicker its initial release time can be—but the slope back to a normal, uncompressed sound will not fall in a linear fashion. It will “curve.” So if the circuit gives you 10 dB of gain-reduction, the first five decibels might release much more quickly than the following five.

This bit of behavior is something you can hang your hat on when it comes to most plug-in emulations: the specific timing will certainly change depending on emulation, but the attack and release will act in a way that is a) often slower than many other compressors, and b) more meandering as it starts and stops.

The behavior of these time constants can result in a compression that is quite musical and often smooth. In general, vocals, lead lines, and other elements that need an intangible “rounding out” (not so much a hard squash as a general evening out, or a shapely bolstering) can benefit from optical designs and optical emulations. It’s not as functional for transient shaping, though of course there are exceptions to this rule given the wide variety of types of light sources and resistors available.

To me, optical compression is quite poetic, as it involves the communion of light and sound. It elucidates their wave-like commonalities, getting to the core of how they can influence each other.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

I actually just stumbled upon these soft-limiter circuits which use parallel diodes across the feedback resistor to kill the gain when activated. Seems promising?

https://sites.google.com/a/davidmorrin.com/www/home/trouble/troubleeffects/distortion-overdrive/op-amp-distortion-and-overdrive

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
I just happened to skim that section of my old text book the other day and I think you're right about the diode being more for protection and will resemble the kind of clipping your ADC would otherwise do (but without actually causing the ADC to limit out which I suspect could have a recovery time associated?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Diode pairs like that are very ubiquitous in radio land because their characteristics are just about right for clamping RF energy that receivers are Just Not Meant For and radios are built to be able to sanely take signals varying over about a 100-120 dB dynamic range. The signal gets very ugli-fied, but it does save the "can hear a mouse fart in a hurricane" front end transistor in a receiver.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Cyril Sneer posted:

I've seen this diode approach mentioned elsewhere but I'm not sure it'll really work. It seems you're just trading off ADC clipping for diode clipping. The issue with the clipping isn't component damage, its that under an FFT, it causes all sorts of artifacts -- presumably the diode clipping would do the same.
True, this is only necessary if the ADC were misbehaving, but clipping is correct behaviour when the input signals are too strong so adding additional limiting isn't going to help. Soft clippers may change the spectrum you get but it's still a non linear process that will always add distortion.

Cyril Sneer posted:

We have one around 150 Hz, but a real filter doesn't provide perfect attenuation, so big stuff can still get through. Additionally, the frequency content of these impulse events can be fairly broad.

If you're doing spectral processing and the noise signal is an impulse you're kind of screwed regardless aren't you? Clipping will add more harmonic components sure, but if the impulses are broad band even before clipping there's no analog filter that can help with that.
And this clipping could also be occurring in the microphone itself, and in that case you've lost before you started.

Can you do the real obvious thing and just detect clipping and ignore those samples +/- some time around the event?
In radio communications this is done using a noise blanker circuit that just detects the envelope of the total signal energy coming in (before narrow filtering) and disabling the receiver during those impulses. The super nice ones use a hardware delay line to make sure they can in fact ignore causality and respond "before" the impulse.
In this case it should be fairly trivial to do in a DSP.

Another alternative I see is adding an automatic gain control circuit that can reduce the gain; this will need to either be slow to detect the event (i.e. it will "leak" some impulse noise through) or it can be made sensitive (using e.g. the derivative of the signal), but then it will also be sensitive to e.g. high frequency signals.

If you really need that signal with no lost samples then I'd say the most practical way of doing it is to add another ADC channel set to a lower gain (or even better, get a higher dynamic range ADC, and/or rethink the noise analysis of the circuit to see if you can't sacrifice some gain).
You could run the same processing on the other channel or detect when the high gain channel is saturated and switch to the low gain one during the event.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Never mind :smuggo:

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

longview posted:

True, this is only necessary if the ADC were misbehaving, but clipping is correct behaviour when the input signals are too strong so adding additional limiting isn't going to help. Soft clippers may change the spectrum you get but it's still a non linear process that will always add distortion.

Yes, understood. It might be good enough though. You can always tap harder, but if we can get rid of / reduce the typical tapping, this would still be a nice improvement.

longview posted:

If you're doing spectral processing and the noise signal is an impulse you're kind of screwed regardless aren't you? Clipping will add more harmonic components sure, but if the impulses are broad band even before clipping there's no analog filter that can help with that.

Absolutely, which is why I'm exploring non-filter based strategies.

longview posted:

Can you do the real obvious thing and just detect clipping and ignore those samples +/- some time around the event?
In radio communications this is done using a noise blanker circuit that just detects the envelope of the total signal energy coming in (before narrow filtering) and disabling the receiver during those impulses. The super nice ones use a hardware delay line to make sure they can in fact ignore causality and respond "before" the impulse.
In this case it should be fairly trivial to do in a DSP.

This might work but doesn't really solve the problem. From a DSP perspective, blanked-out samples is the same as artifacted samples (i.e,. we can detect the artifacts, and hence clipping easily). The hope is to try to eliminate or at least reduce these events from occurring to begin with.

longview posted:

Another alternative I see is adding an automatic gain control circuit that can reduce the gain; this will need to either be slow to detect the event (i.e. it will "leak" some impulse noise through) or it can be made sensitive (using e.g. the derivative of the signal), but then it will also be sensitive to e.g. high frequency signals.

The problem with AGC is that our algorithms are dependent on absolute noise and signal levels so this would screw things up.

longview posted:

If you really need that signal with no lost samples then I'd say the most practical way of doing it is to add another ADC channel set to a lower gain (or even better, get a higher dynamic range ADC, and/or rethink the noise analysis of the circuit to see if you can't sacrifice some gain).
You could run the same processing on the other channel or detect when the high gain channel is saturated and switch to the low gain one during the event.

Now this is interesting, and might be doable. The IC we're using does actually have unused ADC inputs, hmmm.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

longview posted:

Isn't this how "HDR" mode works on your phone's camera? It just takes a low-exposure, normal-exposure, and high-exposure and composites them together with magic?

It's a very clever solution for audio.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey! I'm going to record a little bit of audio from this f'ed up drum machine I got from Goodwill, and ask if you cats and kitties can guess as to the diagnosis from the audio. I bet you can tell me something.

http://homeofthegnome.net/07162021/shmurdge-1.wav

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Ambrose Burnside posted:

somebody on craigslist is giving away a heathkit oscilloscope in working order and i'm currently shamefully attempting to undercut whoever dibsed it with offers of money b/c oh man, man oh man oh man

i actually need a scope to boot but i never expected to run into a gorgeous old analog model to start off with

turns out this merely “turns on”, the seller hasn’t actually tried to use it for scopey things. hmmm

gonna snag it regardless because i can get it for “nearly free”, worst case scenario i resell it as a decor item for a profit- that said, i actually want/need a scope, so my intent is to refurbish n recalibrate it if possible

on that note, what should i be looking for to assess its condition? the dude already powered it on so any damage from that is done; aside from capacitors going kaput, what other failure modes or issues are likely for something ~75 years old like this? Any particular problems bad enough to make it not worth fixing? I’d guess the display tube being hosed could be a serious issue if i can’t source a replacement, anything else stand out?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Isn't this how "HDR" mode works on your phone's camera? It just takes a low-exposure, normal-exposure, and high-exposure and composites them together with magic?

It's a very clever solution for audio.

Basically, the issue is as always going to be merging the signals together smoothly, but at least in the audio case the two samples can probably be made coherent, whereas camera HDR has to compensate for movement in the pictures.

petit choux posted:

Hey! I'm going to record a little bit of audio from this f'ed up drum machine I got from Goodwill, and ask if you cats and kitties can guess as to the diagnosis from the audio. I bet you can tell me something.

http://homeofthegnome.net/07162021/shmurdge-1.wav

Yeah it sounds terrible. There's a positive square-shaped pulse that repeats regardless of the signal level, the period of that might give a clue as to what's going on.
Shot in the dark: DAC reference smoothing capacitor is bad.

Pretty much impossible to diagnose without knowing how the thing works, at least what chips are involved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ambrose Burnside posted:

turns out this merely “turns on”, the seller hasn’t actually tried to use it for scopey things. hmmm

gonna snag it regardless because i can get it for “nearly free”, worst case scenario i resell it as a decor item for a profit- that said, i actually want/need a scope, so my intent is to refurbish n recalibrate it if possible

on that note, what should i be looking for to assess its condition? the dude already powered it on so any damage from that is done; aside from capacitors going kaput, what other failure modes or issues are likely for something ~75 years old like this? Any particular problems bad enough to make it not worth fixing? I’d guess the display tube being hosed could be a serious issue if i can’t source a replacement, anything else stand out?

It's a heathkit, so there are probably instructions online for it with all the values needed for various components. As long as the CRT still works, you can probably start replacing things until it works. It's a kit after all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

What are you planning to use it for? A scope that old is neat to mess around with, but not super useful for modern electronics work. It is about as simple as you can get: one input channel, your basic scale and timebase controls, and a simple rising/falling trigger. It is really meant for things like repairing TVs and radios in the 1960s -- you'd use it to look at the frequency of oscillators and tune them and so on. You won't be able to do much with digital electronics. However, I remember that you mostly do those old-fashioned decoherers and things so this might work fine for those purposes. Basically, you need to be working with regular repeating signals for an analog scope to be useful, and with only one channel you'll be limited to studying simple devices.

Calibrating a scope requires another working calibrated oscilloscope.

If the display is not working, you definitely won't be able to source a replacement display tube other than buying another working model and swapping it out.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 18, 2021

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I speculate Ambrose is looking for it as a collectable/antique, vice for use towards a practical goal.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Assuming that's a tube scope (e: other than the CRT, like the amps/trigger/sweep gen are all tubes too and all running at supplies that'd turn anything modern and its owner to charcoal), I'd hit the input with a multimeter in volt mode first just to make sure nothing is shorted to some hundreds-of-volts supply. After that, hit it with some square waves from any audio source of known frequency you can find. This can be a phone playing "10 minutes of 1kHz square wave" from Youtube or some function generator app or whatever. If it triggers on that, rising and falling edge, and displays it as approximately square with approximately the right width, and it stops displaying it beyond a certain trigger setting, you're probably good.

You can also hit it with some known voltages but really, if it triggers and the time base is kind of accurate, you're 90% of the way there. If it doesn't then you have a problem you'd need a second scope to debug.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 18, 2021

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Stack Machine posted:

After that, hit it with some square waves from any audio source of known frequency you can find. This can be a phone playing "10 minutes of 1kHz square wave" from Youtube or some function generator app or whatever.

I use this site with my phone all the time as an ersatz signal generator: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

Works pretty well actually

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

longview posted:

Basically, the issue is as always going to be merging the signals together smoothly, but at least in the audio case the two samples can probably be made coherent, whereas camera HDR has to compensate for movement in the pictures.

Yeah it sounds terrible. There's a positive square-shaped pulse that repeats regardless of the signal level, the period of that might give a clue as to what's going on.
Shot in the dark: DAC reference smoothing capacitor is bad.

Pretty much impossible to diagnose without knowing how the thing works, at least what chips are involved.

Well I'm pretty much bound to open it up now because I always wanted one of these. Kind of suspecting this isn't going to be something visible. When I do I'll take a snapshot.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sagebrush posted:

What are you planning to use it for? A scope that old is neat to mess around with, but not super useful for modern electronics work. It is about as simple as you can get: one input channel, your basic scale and timebase controls, and a simple rising/falling trigger. It is really meant for things like repairing TVs and radios in the 1960s -- you'd use it to look at the frequency of oscillators and tune them and so on. You won't be able to do much with digital electronics. However, I remember that you mostly do those old-fashioned decoherers and things so this might work fine for those purposes. Basically, you need to be working with regular repeating signals for an analog scope to be useful, and with only one channel you'll be limited to studying simple devices.

Calibrating a scope requires another working calibrated oscilloscope.

If the display is not working, you definitely won't be able to source a replacement display tube other than buying another working model and swapping it out.

Ideally I would like to actually use it as a scope, but yeah, every time I've actually had need of a scope an analog would have sufficed b/c of the retro bent to my hobby tinkering. if that's not viable or the thing is broken I'm not too put out b/c it's a lovely shop decor item, or else i can resell it to someone else and make a bit of money

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 18, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
In terms of scope usefulness, it's literally worse in every way to an Arduino with that serial scope sketch on it

Turn it into a clock or something

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

ante posted:

In terms of scope usefulness, it's literally worse in every way to an Arduino with that serial scope sketch on it

welp, good to know. fortunately thats the other thing im interested in, doing something cool with the display tube. don't wanna get my hopes up until i see what condition it's in tho

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the crt still works, you can maybe hack it into one of those things that displays images with music.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

ante posted:

Analog scopes are awesome for rad x-y scope demos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1eNjUgaB-g

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Ambrose Burnside posted:

welp, good to know. fortunately thats the other thing im interested in, doing something cool with the display tube. don't wanna get my hopes up until i see what condition it's in tho

Oh wow, I remembered this video on an old scope and was going to dig it up because it should be similar for any of them, but this might actually be the same model that he's restoring here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF7CRqb54XM

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
It has a 5MHz bandwidth from what I could find online at least? I'm less pessimistic that you could find some sort of use for it given your interests, but the only circuits in modern electronics that live in that below-RF, above-audio range that this could serve and some microcontroller sampling at 10kHz couldn't (that used to be occupied by things like AM radio and analog video) are switched-mode power supplies.

Edit: I've been looking at the schematic because I was curious, and the biggest limitation (other than that it's a single-channel analog scope) seems to be that the X, Y, and Z (intensity) axes are all AC-coupled only and there is no trigger in the modern sense, just a sync to zero (really avg value, since there's no DC component) crossings. Compare to something like the Tek 535 to see just how wide a gap there was between low-end and high-end designs of the time.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 19, 2021

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Ehhh, the old tube scopes aren't that useful anymore. They typically only go up to 5 MHz or so. Heathkit wasn't that good of a brand anyway. See that "kit" at the end of the name? Heath sold kits to end users and you'd have to build it yourself. In other words, Heathkit was entry level. That being said, so many end users had the documentation included with their kits that Heathkit is one of the more well documented brands still today.

Has it been recapped? Replace all of the old paper wax capacitors with films and the old electrolytics for new ones.

A scope that old will just use twisted pair for probing. If you want to use modern probes on it, use a BNC to dual banana adapter. Alternately, remove the banana jacks and put BNCs on.

If you want an old tube scope, attend a local hamfest. You can get one for $5 unrestored, or free if you wait at the dumpster when it's over.

Honestly, I only ever use my old tube scope when I need XY mode for restoring old test gear, and that's only because I still haven't figured out how to use my modern Rigol scope's XY mode to look like an old tube scope.

Protip: you can make a new graticule from a printable overhead projector transparency film, then drawing the hash marks/grid in Excel. Excel will even let you specify cell widths to the inch.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a place to get extra-wide breadboards? I have a dev board that's too fat for a regular board (I can only hit one set of pins when I place it over the divider).

Or, is there a way to hook this thing up that isn't pulling the power rails off two boards and sticking them together (or grabbing the pins directly)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Place it across two breadboards I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Ribbon cables, maybe? Like if each row of pins is 20 pins or fewer you can use up to half the conductors in an old IDE cable for each and stick some male header pins into your breadboard.