Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Evil's such a great show. It's impressive how it both has so, so much plot, but every episode basically works as being a standalone episode. Andrea Martin's arc this season has been pretty good too. I can't work out if she's in on Leland's con, if she's somehow related to him and she just hates him, or some combination of both.

Also glad the kids are getting more to do, since they're hilarious and surprisingly good actors.

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahah the ending of Black Monday this week holy loving poo poo

I was surprised by how emotional I found the ending. Feels like they might be ending the show, tbh.

Arc chat I initially thought the killer was Corky, partly because having June Dianne Raphael and Paul Sheer in a fight to the death would own pretty hard, and partly because the facts all line up. But I think this episode might have tipped it a bit too obviously in that direction. But now I'm wondering if it's not Keith's ex, Mike, or the other missing Jammer group member from the pilot, the one played by Eugene Cordero.

Oh, and the post-credits sequence was loving excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:siren: HBO Max has Person of Interest now, if you can put up with looking at Jim Caviezel or worse, navigating the HBO Max interface :siren:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

muscles like this! posted:

Going from social media posts it looks like a mix of returning bits (C/Kathy, Buddy Cole) and new stuff. Also they brought back the band that did the original theme.

Wait, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet got back together?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Wait, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet got back together?

https://twitter.com/BrucioMcCulloch/status/1416189736927047684

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Escobarbarian posted:

hahahah the ending of Black Monday this week holy loving poo poo

LOL I just finished it. I'm so happy I took someone's advice in here and started watching it. Fun show.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Arist posted:

:siren: HBO Max has Person of Interest now, if you can put up with looking at Jim Caviezel or worse, navigating the HBO Max interface :siren:

Yeah this show was on the backburner for me but the stuff about CavieIzel and how he refused to be in an interracial relationship with Taraji Henson makes it a pretty big hill for a CBS procedural.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's boring in all his scenes and I think the show is still watchable because he eventually becomes one guy in a team. I watch the show for Michael Emerson, Sarah Shahi, Amy Acker, and the dog.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

He's boring in all his scenes and I think the show is still watchable because he eventually becomes one guy in a team. I watch the show for Michael Emerson, Sarah Shahi, Amy Acker, and the dog.

Don't call Fusco that!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

Don't call Fusco that!

Been kind of sad to see Kevin Chapman basically give a glorified extra turn this season on Kevin Can gently caress Himself.

(Most recent episode of that was heart breaking and low-key horrifying. So loving keen for the finale.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Yeah this show was on the backburner for me but the stuff about CavieIzel and how he refused to be in an interracial relationship with Taraji Henson makes it a pretty big hill for a CBS procedural.

Really? I thought the writers and creators wanted to keep it platonic but Jim kissed her off the cuff and demanded they keep it in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

E: ^^^ yeah I thought that was the story too. That the writers hadn't intended that but he just decided to do it.

Mu Zeta posted:

This. CavieIzel is by far the weakest part of that show, but the rest of the cast is just extremely good. Their cop collaborators were also great characters even. CavieIzel worked as a damaged stoic murder guy, and he had name recognition so he was the lead, but the show only worked because of the supporting cast.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 19, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

This. CavieIzel is by far the weakest part of that show, but the rest of the cast is just extremely good. Their cop collaborators were also great characters even. CavieIzel worked as a damaged stoic murder guy, and he had name recognition so he was the lead, but the show only worked because of the supporting cast.

He was a convincing Terminator, I'll give him that. But Shahi ran rings around him in that department.

Amy Acker, though. Some great stuff from her, though I think her career best work is still over on Angel (where she got to do her own version of the Terminator.).

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i still love it but god some of the Supernatural monster of the week episodes have some glaringly stupid stuff

s2e17
in Heart, the werewolf episode, they prove it's really easy to just lock a werewolf up during the full moon. she got stuck in a drywall closet and it was fine. her death was pointless

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
> Supernatural

> she

> dead

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

> Supernatural

> she hosed Sam

> dead

fixed that for you

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
good point

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Randallteal posted:

Privately owned TV doesn't work like this either. The whole point of TV as a business (or anything as a business) is for the owner to extract more than they put in.

You misunderstand my point, Doctor Who is probably the biggest international tv property that BBC has, but in the last four years we have had twenty two episodes of it.

I’m not saying that BBC should spend all their money on Who, but that by neglecting it they are hurting the franchise and themselves.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Part of that's a money thing but there's also the problem that it's just a hard show to make since it works like an anthology. Every episode (or two if you do a two-parter) you need new locations, new sets, and a new supporting cast. It's a very hard show to keep on schedule.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been rewatching Ted Lasso s1 and lemme tell you this show is even better than I remembered it’s so loving lovely and every character rules

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oasx posted:

Boradchurch is better than anything the other showrunners have done, but obviously Chibnall isn't getting the same quality out of Doctor Who.

God I'd love to see boratchurch

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Episode of six of Gangs of London is completely loving bonkers. The first couple of minutes I thought it was going to be a boring Darren centric episode with none of the actually interesting characters. And then poo poo starts escalating until two guys are literally vaporized in an explosion.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Episode of six of Gangs of London is completely loving bonkers. The first couple of minutes I thought it was going to be a boring Darren centric episode with none of the actually interesting characters. And then poo poo starts escalating until two guys are literally vaporized in an explosion.

Yeah, it's loving awesome. Such a shame that Gareth Evans isn't coming back for Season 2 though.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve been rewatching Ted Lasso s1 and lemme tell you this show is even better than I remembered it’s so loving lovely and every character rules

It really is great how many of the players--even with very little screen time and lines--still feel like relatable, fully realized characters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arist posted:

A reminder that if you haven't listened to the QAnon Anonymous episode about Caviezel, you really need to. They interviewed a few people who worked on Person of Interest so a lot of it is crazy stories about him on that show.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

GreenNight posted:

Really? I thought the writers and creators wanted to keep it platonic but Jim kissed her off the cuff and demanded they keep it in.

Based on her reaction to the show being a miserable experience, and his reputation now I think it's safe to chalk that up to a Bull Eliza Dushku company is going to cover for the male star situation.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 19, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So who the gently caress does CNN think is gonna pay for CNN+?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Alhazred posted:

I like how Gangs of London keeps escalating to the point of utter ridiculousness

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

GreenNight posted:

No idea because any time something newsworthy happens they just throw up a free livestream.

The only show worth watching on that entire channel is Fareed Zakaria GPS which is, inexplicably, on CNN.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

I can see it being bundled into HBO Max since Warner owns them all.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I was going to say, I thought at least some CNN stuff already appeared on HBO Max.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They explicitly said in this announcement that they had no plans of doing any bundles with HBO Max.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
It's not like it's up to them.

This increasingly a post-cable world, so of course they're preparing to sell their cable news entirely divorced from cable subscriptions.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

bull3964 posted:

They explicitly said in this announcement that they had no plans of doing any bundles with HBO Max.

That might be true for the time being, but I can see down the road Warner offering something like Disney is doing with Hulu and ESPN+. It all depends on numbers, and it gives them a parachute to save face if things go bad (I think this will go bad).

The next big thing I am waiting for ESPN. I do believe in my lifetime there will be a Disney bundle with Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, down the road it isn't going to be Warner anymore, it's going to be Discovery. So who knows what will happen then.

Also, there already is a Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN bundle. Has been for quite some time.

(Oh, you mean actual ESPN and not ESPN+? There's a difference? I don't sport so I am oblivious to that.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 20, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

nate fisher posted:

That might be true for the time being, but I can see down the road Warner offering something like Disney is doing with Hulu and ESPN+. It all depends on numbers, and it gives them a parachute to save face if things go bad (I think this will go bad).

The next big thing I am waiting for ESPN. I do believe in my lifetime there will be a Disney bundle with Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN.

Hulu has an option to add Disney+ and ESPN for $8 per month, total? :crossarms:

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
I'm slowly going through the Purge movies at the moment, how does the TV series hold up?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was ok, but was cancelled before it had a chance to finish the story arc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO Max has announced they're doing a series based on Grady Hendrix's new novel, The Final Girl Support Group, which takes place in a world where the events of slasher movies actually happened (with legally distinct versions of Jason, Michael Meyers and such. ) The main character is a member of the titular support group and gets pulled into a mystery when members of the group start disappearing.

I've not read this one (because it just came out) but I've enjoyed other Hendrix books like We Sold Our Souls and Paperbacks from Hell, his history of horror fiction from the 60s-90s.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

HBO Max has announced they're doing a series based on Grady Hendrix's new novel, The Final Girl Support Group, which takes place in a world where the events of slasher movies actually happened (with legally distinct versions of Jason, Michael Meyers and such. ) The main character is a member of the titular support group and gets pulled into a mystery when members of the group start disappearing.

I've not read this one (because it just came out) but I've enjoyed other Hendrix books like We Sold Our Souls and Paperbacks from Hell, his history of horror fiction from the 60s-90s.

I think the CW were trying to make a version of this happen a few years ago, when they were adapting Vertigo's Surviror's Club. Hopefully the premise can lean into more variety than just slasher horror (e.g. Survivor's Club riffed on Polybius, vampires and had a really clever take on the haunted house genre.)

Edit: it's being developed by the IT director guy, Muschetti. That's not great.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Could be worse, could be directed by the guy who did IT Chapter 2.

*checks imdb*

Oh no