Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I was listening to Weird Al's Running With Scissors yesterday and like 20% of the jokes in "Jerry Springer" are about "shemales" and sex changes.

honestly, considering how conscientious weird al has been over the years I'd bet he's apologized for that song by now and is also reflective on how he did it to match the original show but that's no excuse and just perpetuates the kinda lovely stuff springer was doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
British TERFs are now all deep into anti-semetic conspiracy theories (despite all having bought into the 'Corbyn is an antisemite' smear hook, line and sinker) or at least a book that places all the blame on Jewish billionaires, too.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well you see there a good jews and bad jews.

the good ones are their friends, stop asking to see pics of them/on their political team.

and the bad ones are ones not on their team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

honestly, considering how conscientious weird al has been over the years I'd bet he's apologized for that song by now and is also reflective on how he did it to match the original show but that's no excuse and just perpetuates the kinda lovely stuff springer was doing

It's such a weirdly "un-PC" song by his standards, even for 1999. I'm sure he doesn't perform it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PhazonLink posted:

well you see there a good jews and bad jews.

the good ones are their friends, stop asking to see pics of them/on their political team.

and the bad ones are ones not on their team.

It’s wild how prevalent this view is in the UK, across the political spectrum

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's such a weirdly "un-PC" song by his standards, even for 1999. I'm sure he doesn't perform it.

Idk, I definitely know he was still dressing up in a fat suit to perform FAT a couple of years back.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Toshimo posted:

Idk, I definitely know he was still dressing up in a fat suit to perform FAT a couple of years back.

While Fat is a little bit iffy now, it is nowhere NEAR on the level of Springer. One is a string of absurdist fat jokes where the comedy is in cartoonish exaggeration (and honestly pretty fun physical gags in the music video), and the other just has 'trans/intersex people exist' as a punchline.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Cleretic posted:

While Fat is a little bit iffy now, it is nowhere NEAR on the level of Springer. One is a string of absurdist fat jokes where the comedy is in cartoonish exaggeration (and honestly pretty fun physical gags in the music video), and the other just has 'trans/intersex people exist' as a punchline.

That Springer makes them a spectacle is the punchline.
It was pretty gross daytime TV then, let alone now and filtered through a new lens.

I doubt it's something he'd perform now both because the subject matter is a bit of a time capsule, and because he's not a poo poo. More than willing to admit when something was in bad taste and to drop it from the repertoire.

In hindsight, "Albuquerque" also contains mention of a hermaphrodite as the villain who steals his snorkel.
A couple problematic lines on the album.

kupachek has a new favorite as of 08:02 on Jul 18, 2021

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I watched this 90s documentary about child actors from the earliest stars to the modern day and there are a whole bunch of movies I can't see the same way again.

There are a lot of :gonk: stories but two that come to my mind was how Jackie Cooper often had trouble crying on cue, which was a problem because he was known as "The Crying Kid" and directors were expected to have him cry in at least a couple scenes per movie to bring the audiences in. One time the director had the security guard take Cooper's (age less than 10) dog behind a building and pretend to shoot it, then they shot the scene with him crying about his dead dog. For another extremely young star who wouldn't cry, they took her aside and told her that the family depends on her and would become homeless if she didn't do it.

Another is child actor Bill Mumy who was fidgeting during filming of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. He says a sweaty, heavy-breathing Hitchcock walked up to him and whispered in his ear, "I am going to get a nail and nail your feet to the mark, and the blood will come pouring out like milk".

There are some heartbreaking scenes where they gather a bunch of former child actors to discuss their experiences and its like a trauma support group, many of them cry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5U8s9eiLYU

in case you were putting off watching this... the classic A&E-in-2000 ads are included

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 09:47 on Jul 18, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the original Planet of the Apes they bring a female astronaut who's is literally only there to make babies in order to populate the new planet:stare:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What, like one at a time?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Dr Zeus: Buddy,

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alhazred posted:

In the original Planet of the Apes they bring a female astronaut who's is literally only there to make babies in order to populate the new planet:stare:

I didn't remember that detail, only that she died in transit

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

quote:

TAYLOR (gently) Now I don't even have you. (pause) Imagine me -- needing someone. Back on Earth there was nobody. Women, yes. Lots of them. Love making ithout love. That's the kind of world it was turning into, with the help of cynics like myself. So I left it -- because there was no one dear enough to keep me there. (pause) Did I tell you about Stewart? (Looking away) There was a lovely girl. The most precious cargo we brought along. If human life could survive here, she was to be the new Eve. (morosely) It's probably just as well she didn't live to see this.

Welp.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I was watching the original Zoolander last night and Christine Taylor’s character just casually throws out ”That shemale Katinka is not messing around,” in reference to Milla Jovavich’s character. I almost did a spit take.

It was so jarring how casual it was. Taylor’s character is supposed to be pretty relatable to the audience, and a “straight woman” to all the lunacy around her, which makes the casual transphobia worse somehow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Zoolander 2 goes all in on the transphobia.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ugh I heard it was bad but I didn’t know that. I watched the trailer for the sequel and noped out pretty hard

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sunswipe posted:

Bottom is the only comedy you need.

Every now and then I think about them beating up the postman, and I laugh.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

kupachek posted:

That Springer makes them a spectacle is the punchline.
It was pretty gross daytime TV then, let alone now and filtered through a new lens.

I doubt it's something he'd perform now both because the subject matter is a bit of a time capsule, and because he's not a poo poo. More than willing to admit when something was in bad taste and to drop it from the repertoire.

In hindsight, "Albuquerque" also contains mention of a hermaphrodite as the villain who steals his snorkel.
A couple problematic lines on the album.

Don't forget Truck Drivin' Song! The entire song is just one joke about a person with a deep voice and masculine job dressing as a woman.

It's weird that there's three different trans-phobic tracks on the same album.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Maybe he'd just visited the UK.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Don't forget Truck Drivin' Song! The entire song is just one joke about a person with a deep voice and masculine job dressing as a woman.

It's weird that there's three different trans-phobic tracks on the same album.

It is weird.

'Jerry Springer' also doesn't fit with his usual "all Ages" approach either. In hindsight, that whole album comes across as a bit meaner than usual. Most albums that come to mind have some punching down, but RWS seems to have more than it's share.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Comedy simply doesn't age well. It's extremely dependent on the cultural expectations of its time and place. "Timeless" comedy is a rare exception to the rule, and you can usually still find bad stuff in it. The inflection point is whether the comedian in question will accept that fact with humility, or double down and refuse to change with the times.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It really is quite fascinating how radically comedy’s treatment of transgender people has changed over the past couple of decades. Before they were literally just a punchline. “haha, that man is dressing up/pretending to be a woman! Isn’t that HILARIOUS? Let’s dedicate an entire movie to this!” I can think of at least 5 movies off the top of my head where that was the entire joke and none of them aged well (the only POSSIBLE exception is Mrs Doubtfire and even that had some moments, namely the scene where Daniel’s kid catches him peeing). It’s both amazing how progress can sometimes be both blazingly fast and agonizingly slow at the same time (still a lot of work to be done in regards to representation)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The original run of Arrested Development is 15 years or so old and there's a lot of transphobic poo poo in there that makes me cringe.

Also in season four Maeby disguises herself as an Indian shaman in brown face.

I haven't watched it in a few years, but I'm sure there's more.

Plus all of the stories of Tambour being a poo poo head.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

deoju posted:

Plus all of the stories of Tambour being a poo poo head.

And the interview. God drat, that interview. I hope Shawkat never spoke to any of the cast ever again after Walters died.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Arrested development aged so poorly that the 4th season was awful since they really tried to just pick up where they left off. My life is worse for having watched it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Source4Leko posted:

Arrested development aged so poorly that the 4th season was awful since they really tried to just pick up where they left off. My life is worse for having watched it.

:same:

I watched it and have never been able to watch AD again.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I watched S4 when it came out and hated it, and made it like one episode into S5.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have yet to watch S4 and have not heard one thing that suggests that I should be in any hurry to do so.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Source4Leko posted:

Arrested development aged so poorly that the 4th season was awful since they really tried to just pick up where they left off.

Would you say it's a case of... well, you know :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't know a single person who has watched S5 of Arrested Development. I didn't even find out it had been released until months later.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know a single person who has watched S5 of Arrested Development. I didn't even find out it had been released until months later.

Yeah, the last time I tried to watch AD, it was in the run up to S5, I made it about 3 episodes into S1, and just never had the will to watch anymore. There's just a too many other shows to watch now.

If anything AD, did pave the way for other shows to do similar, and helped solidify that sitcoms without laugh tracks.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

And the interview. God drat, that interview. I hope Shawkat never spoke to any of the cast ever again after Walters died.

what happened here?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched S4 when it came out and hated it, and made it like one episode into S5.

Arrested Development was my favorite show of all time in the mid 00s and I didn't even know there was a 5th season.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I watched season 5 of AD and it was a test of endurance in its awfulness. If anyone cares, it ends with the reveal that Buster killed Lucille 2 and encased her in cement, which is probably the worst, saddest way to end that show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

what happened here?

The New York Times interviewed the cast ahead of S5 and Jessica Walter cried talking about how verbally abusive Jeffrey Tambor was on set. Every single male cast member was wishy-washy about it or defensive.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mooseontheloose posted:

what happened here?

Pretty sure they mean this interview...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/arts/television/arrested-development-netflix-interview-jeffrey-tambor.html

I only read it when it first came out, but my memory is that Bateman, Cross and maybe Arnett made excuses for Tambour being a poo poo head, and Shawkat stood up for Walter.

I probably watched the original run of the show a dozen times or more, but I didn't even finish season 5.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AD was already getting pretty fuckin bad in season 3

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Every so often I feel the urge to revisit Escape from LA, but I can't imagine Pam Grier's character aging well. I remember her intro being kind of uncomfortable when I saw it the first time, I can't imagine how it holds up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

AD was already getting pretty fuckin bad in season 3

I thought S3 was by and large pretty good but the whole Rita subplot was loving dire