Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

StratGoatCom posted:

Did this ever get posted last year?

Not them specifically, but there was this a few weeks later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

siotle posted:

For what it's worth, she's put up a public apology.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/53607314

This is quite possibly the best apology I've ever seen.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

:unsmith:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yeah, good luck getting any traction against a popular first party developer :smith:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Yeah, good luck getting any traction against a popular first party developer :smith:

The fact that this is more than a year old and has only been posted here now speaks to this.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

Byolante posted:

Perhaps, in light of how the Howolka incident happened, the pro-jared thing, the James Charles thing, the ongoing clown fiesta that is the Vic Mignogna situation, instantly believing any random accusation and immediately doing everything to destroy the career and life of the accused is not an appropriate reaction. Everybody involved in this poo poo instantly deleted their twitter because they all know they conspired to destroy somebody and ended up killing him. I don't recall any 'gamers' deliberately driving people to suicide.

This. Don't even care what any of the useful idiots in the rest of the thread have to say.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Chakram posted:

This. Don't even care what any of the useful idiots in the rest of the thread have to say.

You've had two years to consider whether "victims of abusers like Howolka should keep quiet in case their abuser kills themself when exposed" is a good take and decided that it was?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 19, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

your first post in this thread consisting of agreeing with a two-year-old post defending abusers and calling the rest of the posters here 'useful idiots' is really good stuff, i gotta say

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
How did they even find that post specifically. Did they decide to read from the very first page every single post, saw that, and decided "WOW I REALLY NEED TO QUOTE THIS" even though they were two years late?

Although in retrospect, wow, putting Vic Mignogna in the "maybe accusers are wrong sometimes" category didn't age well.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Vic wasn't even a good argument back then he has been a well-known creep for a long time.

edit: Even better I checked the dates and that post was made after they took the deposition for his lawsuit where he shredded his own case.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 20, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What universe do they reside in that they feel like Vic has been vindicated...? Or that the takeaway from Howolka killing themself was "guess we should never reveal the crimes of abusers then".

Literally what on earth.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 19, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I just went back to the post they quoted and that person then goes on to try to frame a victim of abuse sharing their story as “vigilante justice.” :lol:

drat these useful idots! They’re enabling the Twitter vigilantes!

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 19, 2021

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

:thunk:

When you think about it, it's really the powerful and famous that are the victims here; were they not famous, they'd never be hounded and flayed when it turns out they did something so minor as constant emotional abuse towards co-workers or sexually harassing fans

No, I will not be replying to messages that @ me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My brain bluescreens trying to figure out how these people keep finding this thread and leaving the most awful opinions in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't the only one of those who wasn't a creep james charles?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't know what he was accused of in 2019 but I'm gonna go with no:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 19, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't the only one of those who wasn't a creep james charles?

Like, technically? He had a habit of flirting pretty aggressively with straight men he was interested but no on ever accused him of anything more then being an annoying creep. The drama was around some IG/influencer spat over make-up brands and it kind of fizzled out. The real sex creep was Jeffree Star who ran in similar circles.

Also, the Holowka thing was like the perfect storm to kick off GG 2.0 Electric Boogaloo given it feature chud enemy no. 1 Zoe Quinn, and it flopped completely as literally everyone connected to Holowka said "yeah, this is true and I was aware or experienced serious abuse coming from him" including his own family.

edit: Didn't know about the James Charles sexting. Honestly those influencer spats dominate the news cycle for these people to such an insane degree unless you follow them you don't hear about the sex crimes.

https://www.thecut.com/article/james-charles-allegations-and-accusations-explained.html

quote:

On April 1, 21-year-old beauty influencer and controversy magnet James Charles released an apology video in response to allegations that he exchanged inappropriate messages with minors. In the video, titled “holding myself accountable,” Charles shifts away from his former tactic of denying any wrongdoing, and instead says that after spending time “researching these topics” and self-reflecting, he realized that he (and only he) was to blame for the interactions. He admits to having “engaged in a flirty conversation” with two 16-year-olds, once last year and once more recently — though he stands by his claim that in both situations, he was told that the other person was 18 and believed them. “I fully understand my actions and how they were wrong,” he concludes.

quote:

Previously, he’s been accused of inappropriate comments and tweets, and of bragging about using his celebrity to coerce straight men into romantic relationships.

quote:

In October 2018, Shawn Mendes went on Instagram Live to show off his juggling abilities, and Charles commented on the livestream, writing “Can you juggle me like that?” Pretty soon afterwards, Mendes ended the livestream. Fans speculated that Mendes ended it because Charles’s comment made him uncomfortable and pointed to a report that theorized Mendes had privately told fans he disliked Charles because of the “weird poo poo” the influencer commented on his posts.

quote:

She alleged in her video that Charles regularly goes after straight men with the intention of manipulating their sexuality. “You tried to trick a straight man into thinking he’s gay, yet again, and somehow you’re the victim,” she said. “You’re using your fame, your power, and your money to play with people’s emotions.” Westbrook then recounted a birthday dinner in Seattle, attended by Charles, where she said he had made sexual comments about a waiter and joked that the waiter’s sexuality didn’t matter because “I’m a celebrity.”

quote:

Multiple underage boys started posting stories about Charles, primarily on TikTok. In January, Charles tweeted vaguely that social media apps “should have stronger policies about spreading false information … it’s actually insane how one person can fake a story or screenshot for clout.” It’s unclear what, exactly, he was referencing.

quote:

In February, a 16-year-old boy, Isaiyah, accused Charles of grooming him in a pair of TikToks, claiming the influencer had sent him nude photos and requests to send photos in return. The TikToks circulated widely before being deleted for violating guidelines, and Charles immediately responded with a notes app statement denying the allegation, and saying that the boy had lied about his age. Isaiyah replied to the statement, saying Charles had never asked for his age:

quote:

Then, at the end of March, two more 16-year-old boys shared screenshots of messages they said they received from Charles. In the first, Charles seemingly accused the boy of lying about his age, and was upset with him for sharing screenshots of their conversation in his story. The now-deleted second TikTok seemingly shows screenshots of inappropriate snaps Charles sent to the boy.

quote:

In the wake of Charles’s apology, more than 15 people have come forward to accuse him of inappropriate sexual advances and/or grooming, with allegations circulating primarily on Twitter and TikTok. Many of Charles’s past public online interactions have also been scrutinized in a new light — including the resurfacing of a comment he made asking then-15-year-old influencer Weston Koury whether he shaves his legs — and others have come forward with what they perceive as evidence that further validates the existing allegations.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 19, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Isn't that the guy who hosed his cat?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

packetmantis posted:

Isn't that the guy who hosed his cat?

That was Shane Dawson

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I can't keep all these assholes straight :negative:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Cool to barge into a thread screaming about how gamers never deliberately drove anyone to suicide, less than a month after Near died.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

e: actually it was me who misread, nvm

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tendales posted:

Cool to barge into a thread screaming about how gamers never deliberately drove anyone to suicide, less than a month after Near died.

most cases like this is 99% projection

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, James Charles was accused for the wrong thing by another YouTuber he had a spat with. In that case, considering the framing (he was accused of trying to turn straight boys gay), being skeptical was warranted. He absolutely is a creep, though, so...

Genuinely unsure why the internet at large considers ProJared exhonerated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hub Cat posted:

I don't know what he was accused of in 2019 but I'm gonna go with no:

Ok so not even that then lmao. I only know of him from the westbrook thing.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah, James Charles was accused for the wrong thing by another YouTuber he had a spat with. In that case, considering the framing (he was accused of trying to turn straight boys gay), being skeptical was warranted. He absolutely is a creep, though, so...

He posted a long video saying he was over and over and offered no evidence. Good enough!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

A crisis management firm helped him make a refutation video.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s also a depressingly large amount of people who will just accept a public apology video of any kind, regardless of what the victims feel, if any consequences happened, or even if there isn’t an actual apology in the video.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Isn't he kind of in the same boat as Dan from Game Grumps, where it was nothing illegal but still skeezy/manipulative of his fanbase? Some people, sadly, seem totally fine with their faves doing lovely things to people as long as there aren't laws against it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Bee posted:

Isn't he kind of in the same boat as Dan from Game Grumps, where it was nothing illegal but still skeezy/manipulative of his fanbase? Some people, sadly, seem totally fine with their faves doing lovely things to people as long as there aren't laws against it.

Yeah, basically. It didn't help that some of the women Jared slept with started changing their stories a bit as well. It just seemed like a bunch of awful people all around.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He did fully refute some specific claims, but that doesn't deny that he was an absolute loving weirdo creep.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think everybody does by a longshot, but most people just don't care and have short memories. He stayed off youtube for awhile didn't he? You wait a year and then drop some new videos like nothing happened, you're going to get some kids to watch who were too young to know when the original poo poo went down, and so on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think everybody does by a longshot, but most people just don't care and have short memories. He stayed off youtube for awhile didn't he? You wait a year and then drop some new videos like nothing happened, you're going to get some kids to watch who were too young to know when the original poo poo went down, and so on.

Ryan Haywood tried this and the entire rooster teeth community got his rear end banned from twitch lol

Its good to see a community band together like that, now they just need to finish ousting the racist fans complaining about black people in their YouTube video game videos

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Bee posted:

What struck me as weird about the thing with Dan Avidan is that there is, for whatever reason, a subreddit with over 27,000 subscribers that is entirely dedicated to making GBS threads on Game Grumps. They jumped into that whole thing with both feet, which effectively tainted the well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wanderer posted:

What struck me as weird about the thing with Dan Avidan is that there is, for whatever reason, a subreddit with over 27,000 subscribers that is entirely dedicated to making GBS threads on Game Grumps. They jumped into that whole thing with both feet, which effectively tainted the well.

It was like the 4th attempt to go after him, and the only reason this one went so viral it was framed as he was talking to her while she was underage and groomed, which fell apart pretty fast under scrutiny and then people ignored the actual problems with his behavior.

Everything else about the story was true, the love-bombing, build-up, then ghosting after sex, admitted by him and someone posting claiming to be the women who sent the original video along as proof she knew Dan. It just all occurred after she passed the magic age line that made it legal.

There's been a pretty consistent drip of women saying similar things about him according to the subreddit it just never reached the level of sex pest, but god drat does Rantgrumps really loving hate him for replacing Jontron 8 years ago.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

pentyne posted:

It was like the 4th attempt to go after him, and the only reason this one went so viral it was framed as he was talking to her while she was underage and groomed, which fell apart pretty fast under scrutiny and then people ignored the actual problems with his behavior.

Everything else about the story was true, the love-bombing, build-up, then ghosting after sex, admitted by him and someone posting claiming to be the women who sent the original video along as proof she knew Dan. It just all occurred after she passed the magic age line that made it legal.

There's been a pretty consistent drip of women saying similar things about him according to the subreddit it just never reached the level of sex pest, but god drat does Rantgrumps really loving hate him for replacing Jontron 8 years ago.

It's still gross loving behavior, and he is still a sex pest. He's older than Arin and treating their young fans as groupies that he can groom and then gently caress and ghost at events.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This ATVI lawsuit is horrifying even for the low bar you might imagine (cw: suicide)

Activision Blizzard Sued By California Over ‘Frat Boy’ Culture

Just at the top:

quote:

According to the complaint, filed Tuesday in the Los Angeles Superior Court, female employees make up around 20% of the Activision workforce, and are subjected to a “pervasive frat boy workplace culture,” including “cube crawls,” in which male employees “drink copious amounts of alcohol as they crawl their way through various cubicles in the office and often engage in inappropriate behavior toward female employees.”

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This ATVI lawsuit is horrifying even for the low bar you might imagine (cw: suicide)

Just at the top:

That was actually horrific jfc

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

:stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just at the top:

quote:

The suit also points to a female Activision employee who took her own life while on a company trip with her male supervisor. The employee had been subjected to intense sexual harassment prior to her death, including having nude photos passed around at a company holiday party, the complaint says.

:gonk: