Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't really recall Frank's books mentioning anything about Ix's government structure one way or the other. There might be something in God-Emperor, but then again that may not be the same structure as during books 1-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Isn't Ix basically a bureucratic nightmare straight of Brazil when we see it in Heretics/Chapterhouse?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Payndz posted:

Mention of the Butlerian Jihad made me think: it's been a long time since I read past the first book (think I got as far as God-Emperor in my teens), but is Ix the only known world that isn't a feudal nightmare run by warring aristocrats or conquered by brutal religious fanatics? I remember thinking it sounded like the only planet where I might remotely want to live; is there a catch?

A planet of office pod drones. It isn't any less horrific, just a different flavor.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Payndz posted:

Mention of the Butlerian Jihad made me think: it's been a long time since I read past the first book (think I got as far as God-Emperor in my teens), but is Ix the only known world that isn't a feudal nightmare run by warring aristocrats or conquered by brutal religious fanatics? I remember thinking it sounded like the only planet where I might remotely want to live; is there a catch?

Many machines on Ix...

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The term “Butlerian Jihad” makes me imagine Judith Butler leading a Luddite revolt against computers. Which, I guess, isn’t so hard to believe.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

One Polish translator of dunc messed up by interpreting “Butlerian” literally, thus making a generation of dune fans think that it was a jihad against our robot butlers.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Something that's been bugging me slightly as I read God Emperor of Dune:

There are allusions to Leto having memories of dying in battle, but shouldn't his genetic memories only include each life up to the point when that past self's child was born? That is, shouldn't he have no memories whatsoever of dying? That's how it's explained in Children of Dune, that they inherited Paul's consciousness up to the moment they were born. Maybe I'm just reading too much into something he says, but it feels like a big blind spot in his awareness. I actually think it would be interesting if his personality were more explicitly informed by having inherited the memories of so many young people specifically.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

What if that dude died battling his addiction to sex

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Something that's been bugging me slightly as I read God Emperor of Dune:

There are allusions to Leto having memories of dying in battle, but shouldn't his genetic memories only include each life up to the point when that past self's child was born? That is, shouldn't he have no memories whatsoever of dying? That's how it's explained in Children of Dune, that they inherited Paul's consciousness up to the moment they were born. Maybe I'm just reading too much into something he says, but it feels like a big blind spot in his awareness. I actually think it would be interesting if his personality were more explicitly informed by having inherited the memories of so many young people specifically.

I seem to remember this part and it bugging me too, but I don't have my copy readily available. Duncan could do that but it's established that it's p much how gholas are. Since Leto - and his forebears - was never a ghola, yeah, it's an oversight (if you and I are reading it right). Maybe he means something almost fatal?

There's a part in the Dune Encyclopedia about the ancients having really strong emotional bonds which was a weakness in battle since they could feel the pain of their fellow warriors. Maybe it's something like that. IDK.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

What if that dude died battling his addiction to sex

The Great Abstainarian Jihad

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Not at all related to sex, memory and death chat, but I just wanted to pop in here to say how much I love that you see the taxidermied bull being packed up in the trailer. I hope that means it's mentioned in the movie

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

If Leto shouldn't recall those who died in battle, there's a chance he was also the killer, or killers, and possibly holds many more perspectives of any witnessed incident so he can probably build up a fair picture

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Automatic Slim posted:

The Great Abstainarian Jihad

Baron Vladimir Nofappen

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chubby Henparty posted:

If Leto shouldn't recall those who died in battle, there's a chance he was also the killer, or killers, and possibly holds many more perspectives of any witnessed incident so he can probably build up a fair picture

Has to be it. Otherwise what the hell?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean i can think of a few interesting directions to take that conceit lol

low-key confirmation that what's going on is actually, on some level, mystical and that the scientific understanding of it is incomplete

or alternatively: people gradually and subconsciously edit their memories during their own life constantly, god only knows what generations of successive genetic memories and competing echoes of dead personalities do to that process

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I think this is exactly what Leto II means by his "safaris" into his ancestral memories.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
A whole bunch of new posters

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1417204175507804166

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1417204166678679564

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1417204149129781254

More in the thread

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

loving hell, Stilgar, your mask goes over your mouth.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Looks like this is going to need an update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5YqFKjTCY

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Bald guys hate it when you do that to them.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Spermando posted:

Bald guys hate it when you do that to them.

"Light your palm trees on fire" hate it, or "eternal vendetta against your entire family" hate it?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzLd8EK3sU

Man, I hope this doesn't bomb and we get the sequel/sequels/second half/next two thirds/the rest however the heck they've split this book up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

u brexit ukip it posted:

"Light your palm trees on fire" hate it, or "eternal vendetta against your entire family" hate it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Why is everything gray and colourless?

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
A couple times the book alludes to the light of Arrakis' harsh white sun. When Jessica enters the conservatory she's surprised by the warm yellow light produced by the filtered glass, and when Duncan is drunk he goes on about how the sun is too bright and nothing has the right color.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nothing having the right color does sound more interesting on paper than how this looks though.

I mean I'm mega-hype for the movie because it's Dune+Villeneuve but still

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I seriously doubt this Villeneuve movie about space royalty fighting a war over cosmic LSD on a desert planet is going to be boring looking.

Arrakis looking like a colorless scorched void serves Paul’s POV in the beginning of the book. But you have a lot of other poo poo - inside the Sietch, the royal palace, Arrakeen, Geidi Prime, Caladan, and just literally the acid nightmares Paul and Jessica experience - that will hopefully look pretty awesome.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Leto looks sad that he won't live to see the second half.

In regards to the blue green transfer look of the posters, it likely is related to the color of the spice.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 20, 2021

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
It would be pretty cool, and I could honestly see it happening -- if the color palette of the movie shifts over it's runtime

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The preview of dunc, read all about it:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3843104&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=463#post516377433

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
DUNC
https://youtu.be/z6LCD7nyD0s

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

gently caress the haters, this poo poo looks cool. It's going to be fun

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Odds that the two "pause the trailer to give the audience a chance to laugh" quips are the only jokes in the entire movie?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My man Stellan!

I know next to nothing about Dunc but I hope this will be a cool sci-fi to watch on the big screen.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Payndz posted:

Odds that the two "pause the trailer to give the audience a chance to laugh" quips are the only jokes in the entire movie?

It's the only form of good humor Villeneuve allows himself.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Payndz posted:

One thing that really stuck out to me in the Lynch movie was how hostile the Atreides right-hand men were at times - Thufir sounded absolutely furious at Paul suggesting he could recognise the sounds he made. They're all supposed to be on edge at the start, but at times it felt like these incredibly loyal and dedicated men didn't even like the Atreides or each other. So I'm glad there's some comradely humour going on.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
After watching the trailer, I'm curious to see which plot/thematic changes are in the actual movie and which are just being shown in the trailer to give audiences a simplified idea of the story

Is house Atreides actually being sent to bring peace to Arrakis or is that just what Duke Leto says to make it sound more noble than "run it efficiently so the emperor makes more money"?
How much will Villenueve lean into the Fremen fighting their oppressors narrative?
Paul telling the Duke he might not able to lead House Atreides, is that just part of his fear of his terrible purpose, or is that a new subplot?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I was initially bummed about the lack of color but a friend of mine who had been stationed in the Middle East said that between sun bleaching, sand erosion and your eyes adjusting to constant over exposure that everything eventually appears near-monochrome anyway.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I'm pleased that the aesthetic design looks as weird as I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

After watching the trailer, I'm curious to see which plot/thematic changes are in the actual movie and which are just being shown in the trailer to give audiences a simplified idea of the story

Is house Atreides actually being sent to bring peace to Arrakis or is that just what Duke Leto says to make it sound more noble than "run it efficiently so the emperor makes more money"?
How much will Villenueve lean into the Fremen fighting their oppressors narrative?
Paul telling the Duke he might not able to lead House Atreides, is that just part of his fear of his terrible purpose, or is that a new subplot?

I figure the "bring peace to Arrakis" is just them actually giving a reason for the Atreides to be on Arrakis. Because I swear the book doesn't actually give a public justification for the Emperor giving them Arrakis. It's just "oh we're moving to Dune now". And we know, and they know, that it's because he wants to betray the gently caress out of them, but obviously the Emperor can't come out and say that.

It could also be a way to simplify the background space-politics - we can establish that the Emperor's rule isn't doing great, and that the Atreides are a respected military power, which obviously becomes really important later on.