Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

BananaNutkins posted:

It is not a cohesive book by any means. I think it is Sanderson's Crossroads of Twilight. The only good thing I can say about it is that the Cosmere stuff seems to be coming together finally in a way that is more than just cameos. It's a Sanderson book, so stuff happens, it's just that most of it doesn't move the series plot forward one iota. There's no real endgame in sight. The payoffs for some characters Taravangian, Moash, and Venli especially, are weaksauce. Kaladin gets a little time to shine, but most of the main PoVs are just spinning their wheels off doing sidequests and spending the majority of their chapters conflicted about who they are and what they want to be.

I still think Shadesmar as a whole was a huge mistake. In the first two books it was this mystic space that seemed like real magic where the rules were beyond human knowing. Then Sanderson had to systemify everything and now it's like a side universe where everything is representational but in actuality it just reads like everyone got shrunk down and dropped into an alternate dimension where everything is in a Japanese capsule machine and spren are people but not really but really.
I’ll agree that there was a lot of wheel spinning for the main povs in RoW, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as CoT. The timeline of RoW didn’t start backwards to like 2 weeks before Oathbringer ended. I don’t think CoT catches up to the end of WH till at least half way through?

It seemed like Brandon realized he let the power creep happen too quickly and needed to slow things to a crawl for like 900 pages and set up the last few dominoes before hopefully knocking them all down in book 5. I’m expecting an insane amount of stuff to happen in book 5. If it turns out to be sloggy like book 4 I’ll be enormously disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
3% into the first Stormlight book and my Kindle says I have 137 hours left in the "book" though I suspect that's for all three books, is that right? So loving daunting, this is going to take foreverrrrrrr

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Why do you think the payoff for your first character was weaksauce? Becoming the new god king big bad seems like a fairly important plot point going forward, and I liked the way Cultivation’s plan came together.

The interesting parts of Taravangian's character were all tied up in his Flowers for Algernon-ing. Ultimately he was a passive character who kind of made a decision at the very, very end, but there was so much dead space between him doing anything that the pacing for him making the choice/realizing that it was his only option didn't resonate emotionally with me. All the elements were there, but the pacing just killed it. Didn't help that we barely got to see the betrayal happening. No one of real consequence to the plot, no one I was emotionally invested was affected very much. Taravangian is regretful for his actions, but maybe if he had killed someone I'd cared about in his betrayal I would have cared too.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Louisgod posted:

3% into the first Stormlight book and my Kindle says I have 137 hours left in the "book" though I suspect that's for all three books, is that right? So loving daunting, this is going to take foreverrrrrrr

Yeah that sounds right. The audiobooks are around 50h each.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

th3t00t posted:

Re: Warbreaker chat

I'm happy to see so many have enjoyed Warbreaker recently! The thread's opinion of it seems to wax and wayne :rimshot: ( lightsong dad joke accomplished).

I really like Warbreaker. I think it might be his best story, despite the rougher craftmanship compared to more recent work.

Warbreaker still has the best and coolest magic system. Awakening is awesome and having a true cost in the form of limited breaths is loving sweet. The visuals to me of starting in a colorful room or forest or something and by the end the entire landscape to be stark white/grey is loving badass. Its such clear and stark visual in my mind compared to some of the other magic systems (oh a piece of metal is being pushed and pulled all over... fun I guess...). I really want more of Nalthis.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hopping into the Warbreaker discussion -

I’ve been working through reading the Mistborn trilogy to my wife. We are almost done with Hero of Ages. Two chapters away from Vin absorbing the mists and going full anime.

I’m glad I had listened to the audiobooks first because it allowed me a framework of voices to do for each character. I’m not great at voices, but I’m able to switch up pitch and pace just enough to do distinct voices for the characters.

She is already getting sad about the book being over and is wanting be able to leap into another book. I suggested Warbreaker. This was the next on my list for audiobooks, but I didn’t get a chance to start it due to my work picking up.

So I have a major request - who are all the major characters within the book and how do you imagine their voices?

Generally, I try to voice the more important characters and just do generic voices for everyone else. For the Mistborn trilogy, I tried to do unique voices for: Vin, Elend, Kelsier, Dockson, Ham, Breeze, Sazed, Spook, Clubs, Marsh, Demoux, TenSoon, Zane, Allrianne, Straff, Cett, Tindwyl, Quellion, Yomen, and Ruin. Anyone else got a random generic voice. My level of success is debatable, but it seemed effective enough. Mainly, I tried to mimic their voices in the audiobook.

But I have no idea who the characters even are in Warbreaker, so I don’t want to start assigning voices that don’t fit their characters.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Lightsong - goofy dad from an office
Vasher - grumpy veteran
Siri -earnest and cheery
Vivenna- proud and proper
Nightblood- Absentminded airhead

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

But I have no idea who the characters even are in Warbreaker, so I don’t want to start assigning voices that don’t fit their characters.

Note that this is going off of my notoriously bad memory so don't be surprised if any of this is a little off. I also did what I could to avoid any major spoilers.

Vasher is a grumpy old man, like Ed Asner, in a younger mans body

Nightblood is incredibly upbeat, naive, forgetful, and occasionally homicidal, and a lot of the reason Vasher is often grumpy. It's also a sword.

Siri and Vivenna are sisters and princesses, Siri is the younger and very energetic m, upbeat, and "colorful" that gets sent to marry the God-King Susebron in place of Vivenna because their father prefers Vivenna, kicking off the plot. Vivenna is more serious and reserved than Siri.

Lightsong is Dad Jokes given demigod form. He just goes not give a poo poo (except he secretly does) and enjoys annoying the people trying to worship him or be serious.

Denth is a roguish debonair type, a lovable scoundrel.

Tonk Fah is a somewhat simple-seeming but good-natured fellow that likes food and naps when he's not cracking skulls. He's a heavyset thug and bodyguard.

Bluefingers is unctuous and punctilious and very particular about timeliness. I get the impression he's often exasperated by Siri

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Awesome. Thanks you two. This will help a ton.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I basically picture Nightblood like Gir from Invader Zim

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

I basically picture Nightblood like Gir from Invader Zim

I'm going to sing the Doom song now!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Think I’ve mentioned it before but Lightsong is 100% Dionysus from Hades, down to the wine drinking, sarcasm and laid back don’t give a poo poo attitude. Here’s the voice I’d use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHmCANtm99g

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

The audiobook version of Warbreaker did a really good job with Nightblood. I can’t hear him in any other way now than an excitable kid who likes talking about killing

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Reaverbot posted:

The audiobook version of Warbreaker did a really good job with Nightblood. I can’t hear him in any other way now than an excitable kid who likes talking about killing

It was fantastic hearing the voice show up in Stormlight

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Louisgod posted:

It took me a year to read book 1. I've been on book 2 for a couple months and only like 5% in or so. I only read a few mins a day, but yeah, it's a real loving long-rear end book. It takes a long time before you know what the hell is going on as well. I didn't really get into book 1 until like 50-60% through it.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

socialsecurity posted:

It was fantastic hearing the voice show up in Stormlight

It's been a while since I've listend to Warbreaker. Does Michal Kramer voice Nightblood the same way as the other narrator?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's been a while since I've listend to Warbreaker. Does Michal Kramer voice Nightblood the same way as the other narrator?

He's got his own twist, but it's a similar vibe. Really naive and excitable, and a little mischievous. And of course always wanting to destroy evil.

I really, really like Kramer's interpretation of it though, definitely my favorite.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
When I read Warbreaker I imagined Nightblood speaking in the voice of Ralph Wiggum and nobody can convince me that's not their canonical voice.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers, I'm destroying!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Brandon read a selection from W&W 4 at Jordancon and it's already up on Coppermind!

Spoilers for W&W4, obviously.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is very cool. But also really sad, of course :(

Thanks for linking the text.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers, I'm destroying!

*chuckles* you're in danger!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
See? It 100% works and for the eventual Cosmere-themed anime(s) it'd be the perfect voice. :colbert:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

spoiler: very sad

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I envisioned Nightblood as Yes Man from New Vegas. I like the Ralph Wiggum angle as well though.

I'm reading the Legion books, I'm in the middle of the second one. Not Sanderson's best by any means, but they have been fun reads. They feel like his take on light airport fiction.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not nearly as into his non-Cosmere / YA stuff, but it was entertaining enough for me to read all 3.

Debating whether I want to check out Lux when it comes out this week. I don't normally enjoy audiobooks, at least not for my first read. And I super don't remember how the series ends at all :thunk:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DarkHorse posted:

*chuckles* you're in danger!

Yeah, now I can't picture Nightblood any other way.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Sab669 posted:

I'm not nearly as into his non-Cosmere / YA stuff, but it was entertaining enough for me to read all 3.

Debating whether I want to check out Lux when it comes out this week. I don't normally enjoy audiobooks, at least not for my first read. And I super don't remember how the series ends at all :thunk:

The ending just kinda did a dead cat bounce for me. I didn't like the reveal of what was causing the super powers. It just didn't mesh/wasn't as interesting as everything that came before. In my imagination the twist was going to be way cooler. That said, the books were a great ride, and probably my favorite Sanderson property.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For those of you who have finished Rhythm of War and Mistborn, I wonder if your google also auto completes a query of "Kelsier is" with "Kelsier is Thaidakar", making it even more difficult to avoid spoilers about the Survivor. Auto complete number two is "Kelsier is the leader of the ghostbloods", and number three is "Kelsier is in Fortnite". Or is that simply based on my search history?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Torrannor posted:

For those of you who have finished Rhythm of War and Mistborn, I wonder if your google also auto completes a query of "Kelsier is" with "Kelsier is Thaidakar", making it even more difficult to avoid spoilers about the Survivor. Auto complete number two is "Kelsier is the leader of the ghostbloods", and number three is "Kelsier is in Fortnite". Or is that simply based on my search history?

Similar

At least there's no "Kelsier death" suggestion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

101 posted:

Similar

At least there's no "Kelsier death" suggestion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is basically what I see, too. Nothing quite so explicit as Torrannor's post.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Oh wait. Torrannor wanted "Kelsier is". I feel like that's pretty likely to bring up explicit spoilers for almost any character in anything

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Because you're missing the "is" in your query, but I admit that it's more reasonably to simply look at what google suggests for the simple word "Kelsier". This is not as explicit as my results, but not exactly spoiler free, either.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, right. Yea if I do "Kelsier is" then

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I had to hassle the coppermind folks to get them to not make the 'odium' page spoil a twist in the google blurb.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Just finished reading Hero of Ages to my wife. That trilogy is so much better the second time around. I loved it the first time listening to the audiobooks, but the time was an absolute delight. Well of Ascension still drags a little, but not nearly as bad as I remember. And I think I am much more fond of Hero of Ages my second time through. The first time was just so overwhelming.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
IDK if this is a good place for this but, I suppose I'll spoil it since whatever, but I'm about 96% done with the Rhythm of War and lolllll Kaladin finally commits suicide and doesn't die :( he says the fourth ideal instead. Ok god drat it maybe Taravingan will die. Taravingan (sp) finally gets murdered and doesn't die: he .... while being the oldest and most frail man on the planet, being murdered, while his soul is in an alternate dimension, steals the top assassin fittest man in the world's sword and stabs Odium to death with it then becomes Odium????????. I wanted them both to just die.

After spending the last 3 months of my life reading this poo poo, I'm never reading stormlight ever again and not reading more of this poo poo although I will finish the book. I'll probably read a plot summary of the next book when it comes out. This book sucked major rear end and all of these stormlight books could be about half the length they are. gently caress this poo poo. I feel like I'm reading the wheel of time again and giving up on book five. Same problem.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

redreader posted:

IDK if this is a good place for this but, I suppose I'll spoil it since whatever, but I'm about 96% done with the Rhythm of War and lolllll Kaladin finally commits suicide and doesn't die :( he says the fourth ideal instead. Ok god drat it maybe Taravingan will die. Taravingan (sp) finally gets murdered and doesn't die: he .... while being the oldest and most frail man on the planet, being murdered, while his soul is in an alternate dimension, steals the top assassin fittest man in the world's sword and stabs Odium to death with it then becomes Odium????????. I wanted them both to just die.

After spending the last 3 months of my life reading this poo poo, I'm never reading stormlight ever again and not reading more of this poo poo although I will finish the book. I'll probably read a plot summary of the next book when it comes out. This book sucked major rear end and all of these stormlight books could be about half the length they are. gently caress this poo poo. I feel like I'm reading the wheel of time again and giving up on book five. Same problem.

Yeah don't read things you don't enjoy. I'll never understand people who read books that they hate.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I loved the first one, loved the second one, liked the third one, was all set for the fourth one and am discovering right at the end that I'm not a big fan. Until about 60% of the way I was like 'normally there's a big build up then a satisfying climax' and the build up and climax only happened in the last 15%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I don’t know if I’m just burnt out on Sanderson but I’m 10% of the way through the first Stormlight book and it’s draaaaaaagging. I normally don’t mind his attention to detail of writing about the environments but he really goes overboard to the point where it takes away from the narrative and character interactions. I don’t care that a shack made from stone has a pebble ground or the color of every single thread on a cape. My good friend told me I’d be immediately hooked but it feels like work reading the book, which sucks. All his other books I’ve read were insanely addictive and a joy to read. I’ll keep going and give it a proper chance.