Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I assume that universities have to devote actual time and resources to hunting down bitcoin miners in student housing and around campus. crypto miners hidden in the ceiling have probably replaced warez servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

BITMAN and robbing

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The_Franz posted:

I assume that universities have to devote actual time and resources to hunting down bitcoin miners in student housing and around campus. crypto miners hidden in the ceiling have probably replaced warez servers

A few years ago I was talking with someone in the SOC at a large state university and they said hidden cryptominers are a huge problem. Both students trying to leach free electricity and also students thinking they're so clever trying to install cryptomining malware in the computer labs.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

having gone to a tech-heavy school I imagine the dorms are chock full of them now, seeing as everyone had at least a lovely spare box as a server years and years ago. the power profile is probably much easier to spot, though, because of improvements in efficient power states

at least the file sharing was a managed liability and they tried to keep it in-campus to avoid external lawsuits. trying to keep a dum dum freshman from burning down a quarter of the quad sounds like a pain in the rear end

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Agile Vector posted:

having gone to a tech-heavy school I imagine the dorms are chock full of them now, seeing as everyone had at least a lovely spare box as a server years and years ago. the power profile is probably much easier to spot, though, because of improvements in efficient power states

at least the file sharing was a managed liability and they tried to keep it in-campus to avoid external lawsuits. trying to keep a dum dum freshman from burning down a quarter of the quad sounds like a pain in the rear end

I mean if they can send people spicy letters about their torrents in the early 2000s they can expel idiots for hiding a fire hazard in the ceiling

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
love how that guy considered leaving a bunch of computers on and stealing electricity a business

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boxturret posted:

love how that guy considered leaving a bunch of computers on and stealing electricity a business

everyone's a petty tyrant small business owner until it's time to pay tax, square up on costs, or obey labor laws

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boxturret posted:

at least as much of a business as landlording, less practical utility, but surely the same principle

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin is condensed, modern capitalism: it senselessly destroys resources to fuel an imaginary number, the value of which is completely made up, and relies heavily on socializing losses while privatizing profits (stealing electricity to mine coins worth a fraction of the value)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Agile Vector posted:

y'all have an internal DC++ network there too, man that poo poo was great :allears:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin is punk

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alan Smithee posted:

And his buttler Alfraud

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

And his buttler Alfraud

Alfraud Satoshiworth.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Paladinus posted:

Alfraud Satoshiworth.

Alfraud Satoshiworth two Satoshiworth six Satoshiworth half a Satoshiworth two Satoshiworth five Satoshiworth

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Weatherman posted:

burma shave cathied wood
Cathi "Ed" Wood

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BITMAN and robbing

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

BITMAN and robbing

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shame Boy posted:

y'all have an internal DC++ network there too, man that poo poo was great :allears:

haha yeah. I wonder if it's still there? I don't see why not

several people were in release groups so everything was there minutes. it only took ~20 years for streaming to match that performance

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

BITMAN and robbing

Paladinus posted:

Alfraud Satoshiworth.

:drat:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BITMAN and robbing
:razz:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Alan Smithee posted:

And his buttler Alfraud

Allfraud

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Why do we fall bruce? So we can learn to buy the dip

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

ADINSX posted:

Why do we fall bruce? So we can learn to buy the dip

a bitcoin mascot the color of a tangerine

:bitcoin:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
if you managed to hunt and capture a bitcoin man, can you use it at any stores where bitcoin is accepted?

are they worth more alive?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Boxturret posted:

if you managed to hunt and capture a bitcoin man, can you use it at any stores where bitcoin is accepted?

You might get something for free* if you threaten to leave the bitcoin man there?

* not a Ross

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfA5L3YAO0

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
“some men just want to watch the world burn” - overlooking a cache of confiscated bitcoin miners

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nybble posted:

“some men just want to watch the world burn” - overlooking a cache of confiscated bitcoin miners

Some men just want to watch a twerking red steamroller crush hundreds of buttcoin miners all day long. I am among them.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Soylent Pudding posted:

A few years ago I was talking with someone in the SOC at a large state university and they said hidden cryptominers are a huge problem. Both students trying to leach free electricity and also students thinking they're so clever trying to install cryptomining malware in the computer labs.

yeah, the latter. havent found a warezbox in the ceiling in a couple years

im sure its the dorms that are the big problem now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1417888921799774210

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol they're like "it's commercial paper" and sure enough

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

graph posted:

yeah, the latter. havent found a warezbox in the ceiling in a couple years

im sure its the dorms that are the big problem now

This shits the reason people run Chia on “free” hosting services and screw up the decentralized software collaborations. Bad enough many really well-conceived companies had to abandon it altogether and that suuuuucks! And I’m not even in a development environment at any useful level besides following tech blogs for learning stuff!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

FAUXTON posted:

lol they're like "it's commercial paper" and sure enough

:hmmyes:

DerekSmartymans posted:

This shits the reason people run Chia on “free” hosting services and screw up the decentralized software collaborations. Bad enough many really well-conceived companies had to abandon it altogether and that suuuuucks! And I’m not even in a development environment at any useful level besides following tech blogs for learning stuff!

buttscoin ruin everything

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

that's right

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:skeltal:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Greed always at 100% of course.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/jacobriglin/status/1417797276613947393

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
He should contact his bank to have a stop put on the transfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

read a few times and I still don't understand why the art seller has to have money to pay the buyers?