Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

You should basically never use your swords except as corner combos, corner block strings, or hard callouts to finish people off or shut down full screen options. One of Ram’s actual weaknesses is her confirms are shaky mid screen unless she is willing to burn meter since fS H drift RC 2H is extremely powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ram sword explosions make it too hard to see wtf is going on in this gamers opinion

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Glagha posted:

If Sol is actually doing night raid vortex from like full screen get in the habit of sweeping him. A lot of Sols who are less good to that move raw thinking that it's totally safe and it's super not. Like 100% they can call out pokes with it by dashing under a lot of stuff but there's moves that can stop it and you can also block it. I actually deliberately use Giganter Kai against Sols sometimes to bait them into doing it because they think I don't know he can vortex under the mirror so I can punish them.

Only caveat is that gold burst>vortex is a meaty, because of course it is.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Axles throw catches up to sol and gets him if you try to vortex from full screen. That was surprising.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Glagha posted:

If Sol is actually doing night raid vortex from like full screen get in the habit of sweeping him. A lot of Sols who are less good to that move raw thinking that it's totally safe and it's super not. Like 100% they can call out pokes with it by dashing under a lot of stuff but there's moves that can stop it and you can also block it. I actually deliberately use Giganter Kai against Sols sometimes to bait them into doing it because they think I don't know he can vortex under the mirror so I can punish them.

I find I have to be way more careful with giganter vs sol because of heavy cemetery...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Jumping the Heavy Mob Cemetery as Pot and then getting 0 punish because it puts him fullscreen and you can't airdash after him feels pretty bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is heavy mob cemetery not prc'able?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It is I think but someone spending 100% meter on a whiff is kind of a win for you isn't it? Anyway apparently you can like, j.D just off the ground to ride Sol to the corner without getting grabbed and punish that way, as Potemkin. I think I saw other characters who had similar plays

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Just Andi Now posted:

In my experience as a May player, Potemkins come in two flavors:
- The ones that are afraid of pressing buttons so you can clown on them by using your own command grab.
- The ones who control all of space and can Potemkin Buster you whenever they please.

What a lot of May players dont realise is that even against Pot, YOU are the bully

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

sols good (ok, great) but heavy mob cemetery is not a factor lol. it only functions as a punish on extremely slow moves from pretty close up once players learn it’s a grab and don’t get tricked trying to block it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

b_d posted:

sols good (ok, great) but heavy mob cemetery is not a factor lol. it only functions as a punish on extremely slow moves from pretty close up once players learn it’s a grab and don’t get tricked trying to block it.

You can whiff punish basically any projectile with it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Also unless he puts himself into the corner its nigh impossible to punish

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

It’s still pretty situational and a waste of meter unless it’s specifically being used to punish. If you want a reversal for 50 meter DP RC is better

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018
I don't think people pay enough attention to 6S's existence in Sol's toolkit. Other characters don't really have anything like it, at least in Strive. It's probably the single biggest reason why he's able to convert so many stray hits during neutral into such huge corner carry and damage consistently. It serves as the missing link for the revised gatling system in Strive and makes even his lightest hits extremely threatening when playing neutral. Other characters' command normals don't have even a fraction of the utility that Sol's 6S has. It's also just a great move on its own.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RevolverDivider posted:

It’s still pretty situational and a waste of meter unless it’s specifically being used to punish. If you want a reversal for 50 meter DP RC is better

It's literally not a reversal it has 14f startup and is only invincible (armored?) after the superflash. It can also be jumped after the flash so as a command grab it's useless in pressure. Only for whiff punishing or calling out specific moves.
Low floor sols love to use it though cus it looks really cool

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

boogiepop posted:

I don't think people pay enough attention to 6S's existence in Sol's toolkit. Other characters don't really have anything like it, at least in Strive. It's probably the single biggest reason why he's able to convert so many stray hits during neutral into such huge corner carry and damage consistently. It serves as the missing link for the revised gatling system in Strive and makes even his lightest hits extremely threatening when playing neutral. Other characters' command normals don't have even a fraction of the utility that Sol's 6S has. It's also just a great move on its own.

I know at least one fairly prominent streamer says that 6S is the best button in the game for those reasons but that it's flying under the radar because people are too focused on f.S.

I'm having such a blast in this game playing Ky, but trying to break into heaven is rough. The last week or so I've taken the first set 2-1 or 3-0 and then consistently gotten dumped out immediately when I match up with someone else, it's very demoralizing.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

whew i knew this matchup was bad but i did not realize how bad until i saw this set. potemkin mains might want to look away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo69DACChJQ

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

b_d posted:

whew i knew this matchup was bad but i did not realize how bad until i saw this set. potemkin mains might want to look away.

It's really bad but like everything else in fighting games you either learn to make the best of it and try to make some inroads to actually winning by getting your face kicked in a lot or you switch characters. As far as general balance poo poo goes I don't think this matchup will ever really get that much better with patches due to how the characters are inherently designed.

My friend did tell me that Bridget was a character who was never actually good in any version of XX but consistently got nerfed because on paper the Potemkin matchup was a 10-0 (as opposed to Axl v Pot or Eddie v Pot which were closer to 9-1) because Bridget could just make Pot take 1 point of chip damage and then run away for 99 seconds every round risk free.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

6s turns any 5k into mega damage

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
I'm not saying heavy mob cemetery is a good move for sol - it might actually be one of the worst supers in the entire game - but you might eat one if you use giganter kai too close in neutral as potemkin because it goes through the square and there's recovery on the giganter.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I use it instead of vortex at the end of a round to beat a projectile but thats it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sol's 6S is disjointed the same way Nago's 5H is (which is one of the best buttons in the game) but it's faster, safer and has less recovery on whiff.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

b_d posted:

I mean it is what it is, and I'm a Potemkin main. Also like, FAB nearly wins a match in there, it's just kind of the poster child for the "Potemkin looks like he's losing until he wins" life. Potemkin will always look like he's just getting walked all over my Axl up until the point he makes a solid read and then suddenly deletes Axl from the timeline. That video is definitely a very big can't catch a break match but for every one of those you can also find one where Axl just can't keep someone off of him.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

yeah i previously watched a bunch of matches between FAB and other Axls and it seemed disadvantaged but playable. but none of them played like xyzzy did; they stayed on the ground enough to get caught by slidehead and used rensen close+predictably enough to get megafisted. none of them relied on j.S to this extent. anyway yes i know it's not literally unwinnable but it just looks a lot worse than i previously had thought when the axl is playing right

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

b_d posted:

It looks like against a good Axl his literal only way to get in is making a read and throwing out heat knuckle on prediction to catch one of Axl's air normals' extended hurtboxes.
Even when FAB was blocking perfectly he still got pushed back into the corner faster than he could move forward. Slide Head and Hammerfall both lose badly to Axl's air gatling chains (and even if Axl doesn't push a button they whiff and he gets a punish), and he really rarely throws Rensen so there's nothing to flick and get in that way.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 20, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pot needs his full screen rocket move back

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hmm it looks like heat knuckle should be able to beat or at least clash with j.S even at max range. didn't seem to be working out that way in the match, though. i guess that's just with perfect timing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Pot basically kills anyone in 2 to 3 touches, looking like he's losing then you're suddenly dead is probably how he should work.

Edit: not to downplay that the matchup is hosed, the biggest problem is not Potemkin's inability to get in through pressure, it's that he can't do anything to build meter.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 20, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Depends on Axl's height too. If he's way high up and his j.S is hitting Pot's head it'll be fine, but if he's spaced a bit farther back and hitting Pot in the toes the knuckle will just whiff.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Pot in Xrd would built a ton of meter just walking. Is that no longer the case in Strive?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Yas posted:

Pot in Xrd would built a ton of meter just walking. Is that no longer the case in Strive?

You still get a lot of meter walking forward but he can barely even do that in those matches.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I've been bouncing between floor 6 and floor 7 for a while now and I'm starting to get sick of this. I'm reaching the point where people have superhuman reflexes and complete mastery of the game engine and it's gonna take fuckin forever for me to get that far.

Anyone else get stuck between those two floors, and any advice on how to get good enough to progress?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

b_d posted:

yeah i previously watched a bunch of matches between FAB and other Axls and it seemed disadvantaged but playable. but none of them played like xyzzy did; they stayed on the ground enough to get caught by slidehead and used rensen close+predictably enough to get megafisted. none of them relied on j.S to this extent. anyway yes i know it's not literally unwinnable but it just looks a lot worse than i previously had thought when the axl is playing right

I've played axls that do this and it's rough. The only way to get in is to time your jumps between the j.s and not get hit in the air while doing so, floor is lava axl is not fun for Pot.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Alright, I've been bouncing between floor 6 and floor 7 for a while now and I'm starting to get sick of this. I'm reaching the point where people have superhuman reflexes and complete mastery of the game engine and it's gonna take fuckin forever for me to get that far.

Anyone else get stuck between those two floors, and any advice on how to get good enough to progress?

People are definitely not nearly that good at those floors. Practice some basic combos, practice your hit confirms and learn what’s punishable or can be interrupted and 90% of the players in that floor region will beat themselves for you

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Pollyanna posted:

longer sets with strong players usually helps me get over a hump. bonus points if they have insight into what your issues are but sometimes just getting punished over and over for doing dumb poo poo is enough to leave a lasting impression of what the path forward is

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Do you have replays of your games? It might be easier to see from a replay what's going on (with button inputs on).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pollyanna posted:

Reflexes barely matter in fighting games unless you're talking about people stuffing stuff like H dolphin or blocking/anti-airing your jumpins. Or blocking charged/uncharged Dust I guess.
If you think you're dying to people with crazy reflexes they're probably just predicting what you'll do and pushing buttons in advance.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When you plateau, go to the park and get owned by much better players and when you are tired of going 2-10, 0-10, 1-10 for the night, go back to ranked and crush losers who have one gimmick

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Step 1 is stop thinking they have superhuman reflexes and complete mastery of the game engine, because they have neither. They know how to do one combo and blow up mistakes that their cohort on the same floors make, but they lack awareness of their own similar mistakes and tend to run on a looping script of things that work because they're hard to deal with but are frequently fake. A large part of it is just learning what those things are, which as others have said is something that will come from longer sets as well (use the parks where people will typically go something like 10 matches unless the connection is bad). Also just slow down and block, force them to have to change their approach, and watch for things you can 6P for example, like Gio's overhead. Don't even think about winning, think about getting them to stop doing the thing they're doing. If you're getting counterhit constantly it's not because they have godlike reflexes, it's because you're throwing out buttons at the wrong ranges and the buttons they're also throwing out are beating them.

One thing that can be said for people in the floor 6-8 range is that generally they are trying even if they're not good, and they aren't just dodging matches to try to blitz to floor 10/heaven. They'll generally try to adapt and you have to do the same and recognize your weaknesses (mine are terrible oki and throwing out way more buttons in neutral than I should). There's also just a lot of bullshit in this game and the only way to learn and deal with all of it is try poo poo and grind it out.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Do you have replays of your games? It might be easier to see from a replay what's going on (with button inputs on).

Yeah, check these out:

Vs. Gio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nGOHlwOF0I
Vs. Sol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mLWn4Bl77A
Vs. Chipp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JZ7txkyrHc

That Gio one is especially embarrassing.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Reflexes barely matter in fighting games unless you're talking about people stuffing stuff like H dolphin or blocking/anti-airing your jumpins. Or blocking charged/uncharged Dust I guess.
If you think you're dying to people with crazy reflexes they're probably just predicting what you'll do and pushing buttons in advance.

It's mostly about getting punished all the time.

Pyrus Malus posted:

longer sets with strong players usually helps me get over a hump. bonus points if they have insight into what your issues are but sometimes just getting punished over and over for doing dumb poo poo is enough to leave a lasting impression of what the path forward is

Real hurthling! posted:

When you plateau, go to the park and get owned by much better players and when you are tired of going 2-10, 0-10, 1-10 for the night, go back to ranked and crush losers who have one gimmick

Yeah, fair. Might be time for the park.