Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cafe Barbarian posted:

That's for sure, because the main story of Paul in the first novel just always seems 'is he the chosen one? turns out he is.'

also one trick to make it not a white savior narrative...the natives are white!

I mean he is but only because forces larger than him set up a bunch of things ages ago and he happens to be the last piece in the puzzle. The main theme is against the “Great Man” theory of history- arguing that all the great leaders and messiahs were merely end products of much larger forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It appears my idea of buying all the lobsters at my grocery store and restaurants and releasing them into Lake Erie is not the best idea. I will have to replan...the revolution will have to wait.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Pig is wonderful but I have to disagree with everyone who said it's nothing like Taken. It's exactly like Taken, but in the context of climate change (and the emotional outlooks that entails) rather than 9/11.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean he is but only because forces larger than him set up a bunch of things ages ago and he happens to be the last piece in the puzzle. The main theme is against the “Great Man” theory of history- arguing that all the great leaders and messiahs were merely end products of much larger forces.

Yeah, and Paul ultimately ends up in very little control of what actually happens.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gatts posted:

It appears my idea of buying all the lobsters at my grocery store and restaurants and releasing them into Lake Erie is not the best idea. I will have to replan...the revolution will have to wait.

Anytime I hear the name Lake Erie, all I can think of is the SNL commercial for Swill:

https://www.metacafe.com/watch/5378456/bill_murray_snl_classic_commercial/

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Maxwell Lord posted:

Chosen Ones all lack autonomy kind of by nature, though. Chosen One and Great Man aren't the same. I think the chosen one/white savior stuff was not so worn out in 1965, but it is now. But I find Herbert's writing deadly dull in any case.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Gatts posted:

A true revolutionary would steal the lobsters

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Skwirl posted:

It gets harder the farther West someone was born and raised, but I'm pretty sure you've already admitted to being from Massachusetts so in my head you sound like Matt Damon in The Departed.

People think a Massachusetts accent is just the mangling of the letter R but it's also the excessive swearing. The fuckin' Depahted!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You know what else? Everyone is always like "Park the car in the Harvard yard!". But in reality finding parking in or near Harvard Square is a loving nightmare.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It’s an absolute pisser to find any parking in Boston half the time, loving streets are an absolute nightmare on a good day

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

banned from Starbucks posted:

A true revolutionary would steal the lobsters

Shout out to Edward Furlong

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If you're tossing lobsters back into the ocean make sure they're local species or you're going to gently caress up the ecosystem or possibly introduce some kind of diseases.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was in Boston in November 2019. It was cold, it rained the entire time I was there, and it got dark at like 4:30pm.

Had an uber driver that kept going the wrong way down 1-way streets, thought the "this is the way you came" line on his GPS was the "go this way" line and kept trying to turn around and catch it, and when we got to the entrance to the underground highway he came to a dead stop across 2 lanes because he couldn't figure out whether to get on or not.

That said, Bukowski's was a pretty decent bar.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Sounds like your Uber driver knew it was a good bar firsthand

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The driver did not take me to Bukowski's he just took me to near my hotel. I say "near" because at one point I just said "this is good" and got right out because holy poo poo.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

CPL593H posted:

Hypothetically if I met someone from this forum and started talking to them for a few minutes they'd certainly place me right away.

More like “for a few seconds” ya townie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

We aren't sending our best and our brightest.

Also they all dress like my now elderly parents did when I was a child 20 years ago except with more khaki. What's with all the khaki?

Even the young dudes dress like my dad did in 1998.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPL593H posted:

People think a Massachusetts accent is just the mangling of the letter R but it's also the excessive swearing. The fuckin' Depahted!

I feel like the difference between a fake Boston accent and a real one is that the real one has just the ever-so faintest hint of the "r" sound in there that weights the word, whereas the fakers go full "ahh".

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Re: final Fantasy spirits within

It's an important historical note in film history if nothing else - it marks the first* movie where "it looks like a video game" is an accurate statement!

*May still be the only case, idk

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Blood Boils posted:

Re: final Fantasy spirits within

It's an important historical note in film history if nothing else - it marks the first* movie where "it looks like a video game" is an accurate statement!

*May still be the only case, idk

ahem

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a3o2CTDZ4cs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also they all dress like my now elderly parents did when I was a child 20 years ago except with more khaki. What's with all the khaki?

Even the young dudes dress like my dad did in 1998.

Are you sure these weren't just incredibly awful and tacky people in general?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know this is the movie thread, not the games thread, but do you guys know those Persona games? With the high schoolers and the demons and dancing and stuff? Most gamers will know that they are a spin off of the Shin Megami Tensei RPG series. But what's less known is what inspired them to create the Persona series. The mainline SMT games are usually set in the future or a post apocalyptic world or a dungeon. But there was one for the Super Famicom that was partially set in a normal high school. And that one was so popular that they decided to create an entire series around the high school setting, which became the Persona series.

You might think that is a completely uninteresting story and I shouldn't have posted this in the movie forum. But do you know what inspired them to put that first Shin Megami Tensei game in a high school? The cover offers a hint

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I know this is the movie thread, not the games thread, but do you guys know those Persona games? With the high schoolers and the demons and dancing and stuff? Most gamers will know that they are a spin off of the Shin Megami Tensei RPG series. But what's less known is what inspired them to create the Persona series. The mainline SMT games are usually set in the future or a post apocalyptic world or a dungeon. But there was one for the Super Famicom that was partially set in a normal high school. And that one was so popular that they decided to create an entire series around the high school setting, which became the Persona series.

You might think that is a completely uninteresting story and I shouldn't have posted this in the movie forum. But do you know what inspired them to put that first Shin Megami Tensei game in a high school? The cover offers a hint

Is this inspired by the Malcolm McDowell movie also titled if...?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Foodfight! was made 12 years after FF: SW, amazing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neat!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Blood Boils posted:

Foodfight! was made 12 years after FF: SW, amazing

It was released 12 years after The Spirits Within. IIRC, the development cycle was something like 8 years, due to issues like all the studio's hard drives getting stole and a bond company stepping in to actually finish the movie.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973870

The Olympic Torch relay is now making its way through Cinema Discusso.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I will be respecting the spirit of the 2021 Olympics by not going to that thread.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm going to gently caress everyone in the Olympic thread, catch COVID, and die.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CPL593H posted:

Are you sure these weren't just incredibly awful and tacky people in general?

I already said they were American torusists.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I already said they were American torusists.

Wakka wakka.

You're not wrong about this awful fashion trend though. I see a lot of teenagers and guys in their early 20s wearing shorts and sandals with white crew socks pulled almost up to them knees. And some times they even have [b]crocs[/s]. One day my mom saw some kid dressed like that (with the crocs by the way) and asked if he was gay because she just asks me if everyone she sees is gay. It took everything in me not to say "Really bitch?". What I did say is that to get a gay dude to wear that outfit you'd have to hold a gun to his head. But in my case I'd probably rather die.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My wife has people in Boston so unlike me she has actually seen the American in his natural environment and she tells me that among your people it is traditional for a man to start dressing like a middle aged dad (cargo shorts, tucked in shirt, white socks and either sandals or white sneakers depending on the season, baseball cap) as soon as he hits 20.

That being said every American I've actually had a IRL conversation with was a cool and good dude even if they dress like dorks.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 21, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
You pull your stocks up to protect against ticks, this is just general safe outdoorsmenship.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Even if there's like 100 million Americans dressing like dads, there's almost 400 million of us, some of the remainder dress cool (just none of them have enough money to travel).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah I'm guessing this is largely a result of Iceland being insanely expensive even by European standards so most of the people who come here are pretty well off and upper middle class people tend to be dweebs.

The Icelandic tourist industry is apparently trying to refocus itself to drawing in exclusively the rich by building a lot of luxury hotels and attractions that the average Joe can't afford so there can be a lot fewer tourists but each one will spend more.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

My wife has people in Boston so unlike me she has actually seen the American in his natural environment and she tells me that among your people it is traditional for a man to start dressing like a middle aged dad (cargo shorts, tucked in shirt, white socks and either sandals or white sneakers depending on the season, baseball cap) as soon as he hits 20.

That being said every American I've actually had a IRL conversation with was a cool and good dude even if they dress like dorks.

Your average man nowadays has probably literally never been taught anything about fashion, and wears what's comfortable, cheap and practical, because they have absolutely no other point of reference.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Your average man nowadays has probably literally never been taught anything about fashion, and wears what's comfortable, cheap and practical, because they have absolutely no other point of reference.

This isn't new you're just talking about straight guys.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If there's a scenario where jeans and a t-shirt are inappropriate I don't want to be there. :texas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CPL593H posted:

This isn't new you're just talking about straight guys.

True, but even then, making fun of them for not knowing how to dress is like making fun of a white guy in Utah for not knowing how to speak Hindi. Why would you consider that a reasonable expectation?