Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Hesh is the smartest for obvious reasons. Passive income, minimal risk, minimal effort, eats pussy.

Back up. Eats pussy?
Frankly Halloween Jack, if you got that kind of covert anti-Semitism I'd like you to leave this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Admittedly, it was weird but I love that loving scene for reasons I can't put my finger on.

Maybe it was that that house full of weirdos were all like "oh, so you want to kill a person?" and seemed totally insane and incompetent while also throwing the guys who kill people a lot for a loop and casting side eyes.

Thinking more about it last night, it felt like getting dumped into a David Lynch movie for a second.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Looking at the film's cast list I'm disappointed there's no Hesh. Granted they'd probably have had to shoehorn it into the timeline somehow, but I always thought the lone competent non-overtly-evil counselor/father figure dynamic made for a fascinating character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m not sure you can say isn’t overtly evil considering he advices chopping a dudes dick of and was involved in the music industry

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Back up. Eats pussy?
Frankly Halloween Jack, if you got that kind of covert anti-Semitism I'd like you to leave this thread.
It's well established that Hesh and Uncle June are straight.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

banned from Starbucks posted:

Back up. Eats pussy?

Whoa whoa, Halloween Jack, banned from Starbucks, you guys have been friends for years!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I mean, yeah, he's got a vested interest in mid- to higher-level loan sharking, but in the circles the show explores there's definitely a grading curve in terms of being a monster, right?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Take it easy, laddie buck.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He also wasn't wrong about boats not having any resale value. Madonn!

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

like a mouse pissing on cotton

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Someone explain this to me. One of the episodes where Carmela brings AJ to Furios house and AJ interrupts with;

AJ:
"You said you'd take me to CompUSA so I could get a new magic stick."

what in the gently caress is a magic stick?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Magic gate was the encryption Sony used on their proprietary memory sticks. I'm guessing. He meant that

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Watched that scene and AJ had the best snarky comebacks

*to furio* "We were in the neighbourhood." "No we weren't."

*to hugh* "Open this one." "It's from him."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why am I always having to come here?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like the Gandolfini/The Office story makes sense if you just take out the one bit where Schirippa says Gandolfini wanted the part due to lack of work. But from HBOs perspective it makes a lot of sense to me that they'd be willing to pay him not to take it because a major role in a sitcom is time consuming work. If he takes the Office role and it's a big hit with fans, maybe he decides he wants to sign on for multiple seasons and then all the sudden he's not available to star in The Night Of. And I think they had planned for him to be THE main selling point of The Night Of, the fact that he was returning to HBO for the first time since The Sopranos ended would've been a big deal.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
id like to see the alternate timeline where the night of actually gets made and people start :qq:ing about how its just james gandolfini scratching his gross scabrous feet and not whacking mooks

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eau de MacGowan posted:

id like to see the alternate timeline where the night of actually gets made and people start :qq:ing about how its just james gandolfini scratching his gross scabrous feet and not whacking mooks

Killing Them Softly is a great movie to recommend to Sopranos fans for that reason. Gandolfini plays a hitman who's brought in from out of town to do a quick job, but it turns out that he's actually a raging alcoholic who is so depressed that he can't even make it out of the hotel room. So he never kills anyone or even attempts to kill anyone in the movie.

Great performance though, as always.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Killing Them Softly is such an underrated movie. It even has Johnny Sac!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The only bad thing about that movie is the incredibly hamhanded criticism of Dubya.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've been dreaming of that loving lo mein all the way the gently caress over here. Now, who came in here and ATE MY poo poo?!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Christopher's intervention might be some of the finest television ever created.

And also the fight with Tony and Ralphie is so good. Really had that feel of a brawl between two scumbag gangsters with no formal training.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Bug spray was dirty af

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah it was. I forgot Ralphie went there and literally said, "Aw shiiiit" out loud. God that would hurt.

EDIT

Oh hell I forgot this was the Livia on the stairs dream episode. I was not prepared.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 20, 2021

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I tried watching Killing Them Softly and bounced right off it, just couldn't keep my attention on it. Have considered trying again though, there's gotta be something I'm missing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its a slow burn for sure, but I liked it. And I mean, The Godfather is a really slow burn too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The Godfather movies are DENSE, layered, subtle and almost require multiple re-watches. I've seen the first at least 10 times each and still kind of sort of need a cheat sheet. Sopranos is sort of similar (same with The Wire) to the extent that I forget sometimes who the gently caress is who, doing what and that sort of thing and tbh I kind of like that for some reason.

Gives me a reason to watch to good shows and movies multiple times and almost always pick up something new. Stuff like the MCU and other poo poo I can think of not so much where the returns are diminishing.

Mushroom Zingdom
Jan 28, 2007
Nap Ghost

TheKingslayer posted:

Christopher's intervention might be some of the finest television ever created.

It truly is. It's a scene I just keep coming back to, I've watched it at least a dozen times on Youtube and I have only seen the show once through from January-April. I appreciated the positive reception from posters here about the analysis I wrote about the micro-scene between Chris and Tony in the hospital a few pages back, I'll write and post a close reading of the intervention scene sometime soon. It's a laugh-out-loud hilarious scene but on recent re-watches I've come to realize what a tragic missed opportunity the scene represents for the characters. There is a lot of richness between Chris' interactions with Paulie and Tony in particular.

disgusting

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just watched that final scene with Christopher. When I saw that the first time I was so sure he had flipped for the FBI, being picked up between JT Dolan and going home to fix the plants in the garden. Watching for the third time, the similarities between Jack Massarone and Chrissy's behaviour, it feels like even less of a stretch.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
On my third or fourth rewatch of the series, just finished Army of One last night. Any idea what Chase (or Patterson I guess) was going for with that ending? Seems strange to me to have Junior's wonderful singing get dubbed over by those other songs.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

It truly is. It's a scene I just keep coming back to, I've watched it at least a dozen times on Youtube and I have only seen the show once through from January-April. I appreciated the positive reception from posters here about the analysis I wrote about the micro-scene between Chris and Tony in the hospital a few pages back, I'll write and post a close reading of the intervention scene sometime soon. It's a laugh-out-loud hilarious scene but on recent re-watches I've come to realize what a tragic missed opportunity the scene represents for the characters. There is a lot of richness between Chris' interactions with Paulie and Tony in particular.

disgusting

i told you i had the flu!

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Psycho Mantits posted:

On my third or fourth rewatch of the series, just finished Army of One last night. Any idea what Chase (or Patterson I guess) was going for with that ending? Seems strange to me to have Junior's wonderful singing get dubbed over by those other songs.

Hey, we’re at the same place in the rewatch!
I was wondering the same thing and I kind of took it as showing us that all cultures have songs that make old folks misty-eyed. There’s like a Chinese song, a Mexican song I think. Something about having a connection to the past being a universal thing? I dunno.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Making my way through Season 4 on my rewatch, really touched by Johnny Sack's genuine love for his wife. One of those weird things that really got to me.

Juxtaposed of course with Tony and Carmella's relationship deteriorating, and the uncomfortable sex scene that closes the episode where Tony buys her a dress and immediately starts forcing himself on her, while she's clearly not into it. This show, again and again.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 21, 2021

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mike N Eich posted:

Making my way through Season 4 on my rewatch, really touched by Johnny Sack's genuine love for his wife.

Same. The scene where Johnny leaves then comes back in the house to find her eating hidden chocolate bars breaks me down.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Been rewatching Season 2 and I forgot about how incredibly lovely Carmela is to Angie when she's trying to divorce Big Pussy. Angie even discloses that she's been thinking about suicide and what does Carmela do? Comes over later to guilt-trip the poo poo out her desperate friend, closing the conversation with "I know you won't leave him"

Is this because Carmela knows that she will never have the power to leave Tony? Is she just a control freak that is concerned solely about image? Regardless, what an incredibly lovely thing to do.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Divorce is a big no no thing with Catholics in general, or at least it's supposed to be. I think Tony even brings that up to someone at one point.

Not to say it isn't something convenient for Carmella to leverage to be an rear end.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If Angie could do it, then it would mean that Carmela is making a conscious decision NOT to do it rather than being "powerless" to do it. Of course she wouldn't have been consciously thinking it, but on some level Angie being willing to leave her husband makes Carmela confront the fact that she CHOOSES to remain in this relationship, that she gets around the immorality she benefits from by telling herself that it isn't allowed/possible to leave the marriage.

Angie of course ends up without Pussy anyway, even though technically speaking she isn't considered a "widow" due to the bullshit lie about Pussy being in Witness Protection, and the fact she eventually doesn't just survive but thrives really fucks with Carmela's mindset as well: not only could Carmela have left Tony, but she could have been a success without morally compromising herself as well (to an extent, Angie is engaged in criminal activity herself! But even then that sticks in Carmela's craw because Angie is being accepted/treated as one of the guys instead of "just" a wife).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Watched killing them softly, great recommendation!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You dont need to have the mob factor for catholics to be morally stunted, hypocrisy ridden wretches. I'd say its fear keeping them from leaving, the men only use being catholic as a guise

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flesnolk posted:

I tried watching Killing Them Softly and bounced right off it, just couldn't keep my attention on it. Have considered trying again though, there's gotta be something I'm missing.

The first 20 minutes or so of Killing Them Softly is basically just a day or two in the life of a couple grimy dudes so yea it starts slow. But then they try to pull off a certain job and at that point the mob gets involved and things really spiral out of control from there. So yea, you gotta give it 20 or 30 minutes to get going.

Personally though I love the first act because Ben Mendelsohn is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The crux of the thing is that this is what the mob looks like in a depression, after even the latter-day bosses like Tony have been taken out or gone to ground. Now it's just guys who have too many DUIs to get a job at Enterprise Rent-A-Car fighting over the scraps.