Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Congrats Bucks, but now it's time for weekly regional food chat, weird hypotheticals, and a dozen or so posters to rehash the same arguments we've been having for over a decade it's the best time of year, it's the:

NBA OFFSEASON THREAD

Some Key Dates:

June 21-27: NBA draft combine
June 22: NBA draft lottery
July 23 to Aug. 8: Toyko Olympics (Houston players who could be involved include John Wall, Eric Gordon, and Christian Wood for the United States, and Kelly Olynyk for Canada.)
July 29: 2021 NBA draft
Aug. 2: Free agency negotiations can begin at 5 p.m. Central
Aug. 3: Official start of 2021-22 league year; brief moratorium period begins on transactions
Aug 3rd: California Classic (4 team summer league thing)
Aug. 6: Moratorium period ends at 11:01 a.m. Central, allowing free agents to be signed and trades to be executed
Aug. 8-17: NBA Summer League in Las Vegas
Sept. 28: Training camps open
Oct. 3rd-15: NBA Preseason games
Oct. 19: Regular season begins

April 16, 2022: 2021-22 playoffs start
June 2, 2022: NBA Finals Game 1
June 19, 2022: NBA Finals Game 7
June 23, 2022: 2022 NBA draft

Player Opt-Out Calendar:

quote:

July 25:
Isaiah Hartenstein ($1,762,796)

July 26:
JaMychal Green ($7,559,748)

July 28:
Bryn Forbes ($2,454,002)
Kris Dunn ($5,005,350)
Derrick Jones ($9,720,900)

July 31:
Montrezl Harrell ($9,720,900)

August 1:
Bobby Portis ($3,804,150)
Serge Ibaka ($9,720,900)
Josh Richardson ($11,615,328)
Kawhi Leonard ($36,016,200)
Chris Paul ($44,211,146)

And remember, every team goes into this season with the belief that anything is possible:

Lockback fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Midrange jumpers are back in vogue and people will stop at nothing to complain about how it’s a bad shot

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
drat I wish I could make it to Summer League this year

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

Midrange jumpers are back in vogue and people will stop at nothing to complain about how it’s a bad shot

Midrange and jumbo-sized lineups.

Bucks and Lakers winning the last 2 championships going anti-small is a thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948434

Come hang out in the draft thread and make over confident predictions about the professional futures of teenagers with me

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Lockback posted:

Midrange and jumbo-sized lineups.

Bucks and Lakers winning the last 2 championships going anti-small is a thing.

Is it really anti-small or just having an absolute freak of a human that play the 4 and 5 on both ends of the court?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Yeah, I’d say it’s less jumbo lineups and more there’s two guys in the league who can play two spots at the same time

The midrange shot being the go to shot in the playoffs is real tho

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah Lakers best lineup was AD at center and Bucks big change this year was that they were willing to go to a switch everything D to shake things up that effectively made Giannis the center even if it was nominally Portis. Those aren't necessarily small lineups since those are very large people but it's not playing with a traditional center either

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
We all want Davis to play like giannis but he wants to play like Josh Smith 😔😔😔

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

just scant months until the bulls...are BACK

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

We all want Davis to play like giannis but he wants to play like Josh Smith 😔😔😔

He was a dominant playoff player literally last year and they were awesome this year when he was healthy.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

Yeah Lakers best lineup was AD at center and Bucks big change this year was that they were willing to go to a switch everything D to shake things up that effectively made Giannis the center even if it was nominally Portis. Those aren't necessarily small lineups since those are very large people but it's not playing with a traditional center either

This got me thinking, what players have, at some point in their career, had substantial time at both PG and center? Giannis is the only guy I can find that, by basketball-reference play-by-play stats, has had a season where more than 25% of his time was at PG and another season where at least 25% of his time was at center.

Other ones that come to mind:

Lebron: topped out at 9% center in a Miami season
Boris Diaw: wasn't listed as getting any PG minutes for the Suns, which surprised me
Magic Johnson: went to PF his comeback year, but play-play-play data doesn't exist and I doubt they were doing small-ball lineups then (other than that one game where he did the opening tip but I'm full qanon about that just being a gimmick)
Ben Simmons: ben simmons joke
Nikola Jokic: euphronius joke

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

Is it really anti-small or just having an absolute freak of a human that play the 4 and 5 on both ends of the court?

I mean yes, but in basketball there's lots of freaks. I think going jumbo is a side-effect but it does show that "The future of the league is going small" is probably overblown, not that going big is the next thing or anything.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
When people say that they don't necessarily mean literally small they just mean away from traditional centers with very post centric offenses who only guard other centers. Which also still exist but it's a high bar to clear. They aren't talking about seven foot tall guys who can handle and move like a guard. The league is moving towards more skilled and versatile guys, who tend to be but are not always smaller.

kingcobweb posted:

This got me thinking, what players have, at some point in their career, had substantial time at both PG and center? Giannis is the only guy I can find that, by basketball-reference play-by-play stats, has had a season where more than 25% of his time was at PG and another season where at least 25% of his time was at center.

Other ones that come to mind:

Lebron: topped out at 9% center in a Miami season
Boris Diaw: wasn't listed as getting any PG minutes for the Suns, which surprised me
Magic Johnson: went to PF his comeback year, but play-play-play data doesn't exist and I doubt they were doing small-ball lineups then (other than that one game where he did the opening tip but I'm full qanon about that just being a gimmick)
Ben Simmons: ben simmons joke
Nikola Jokic: euphronius joke

The Diaw PG thing died his rookie year, the Suns played him almost solely as a big, PG was Nash or Barbosa.

Magic played center that one time in the finals but I don't think would have done it a lot otherwise

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 21, 2021

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah inserting giannis is not going jumbo in any basketball sense. same with kd, ad, anyone else 7 feet tall that doesnt run like banjo kazooie.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
most important thing of the offseason just dropped: CURIOUS MIKE EPISODE 1

I was hoping it would be funny and Just Asking Questions about 9/11 but it's 40 minutes about God with some dude from a venture capital firm :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

hifi posted:

yeah inserting giannis is not going jumbo in any basketball sense. same with kd, ad, anyone else 7 feet tall that doesnt run like banjo kazooie.

That just seems like "No True Scotsman". Of course you play skilled players. Bucks played heavy minutes from Lopez, PJ Tucker, and Portis in addition to big guys like Giannis and or Middleton heavy minutes as the 2 guard, where he is pretty big for the role.

It's not just "playing Giannis" it's "Playing Giannis with a rotation where Lopez, Tucker and Portis are getting 80 minutes combined"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
PJ Tucker is like 6'5" and his entire offensive game is standing in the corner. Him getting minutes at center is like the exact thing people are talking about when they say the league is moving away from traditional bigs.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 21, 2021

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

I think that Adams working out a shot a la Marc Gasol is the new ideal for the "standard" big, a shooting threat for spacing on offense and a modern defensive player who can protect the rim and ideally defend some perimeter players. obviously that "standard" is pretty high and I dunno how many players clear it. But then again in 2010 mainstream pundits were actually talking up the elite play of Kendrick Perkins so I guess having a bar at all is a nice upgrade

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I maintain a lot of this is just how few of these guys have been any good lately. If a transporter accident clone of Dwight Howard at his rookie age declared for the draft, teams would still fight each other to take him.

The best players should be the ones on the court, regardless of style. This will favor certain types of players over others. A kid can bust their rear end and learn to shoot from deep, but no matter how hard they train, they'll never have the strength and agility of peak Shaq.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

PJ Tucker is like 6'5" and his entire offensive game is standing in the corner. Him getting minutes at center is like the exact thing people are talking about when they say the league is moving away from traditional bigs.

He wasn't getting minutes at center though, he played almost always with Lopez or Portis (sometime both), he was at PF and SF. Playing him at center WOULD be playing small but they didn't do that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

excuse me why is the California Classic not listed in the key dates

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

excuse me why is the California Classic not listed in the key dates

Added just for you

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

going back a few pages in the old thread, but rodman: hooper or player? i think i can go either way there?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

going back a few pages in the old thread, but rodman: hooper or player? i think i can go either way there?

He's an Other

I'd call him a Player-Athlete though if I had to use the superior job system.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Dallas Mavericks will sign Kawhi Leonard and win 2 (two) NBA championships in the next four years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Dallas Mavericks will sign Kawhi Leonard and win 2 (two) NBA championships in the next four years.

Kawhi would be perfect on that team (as he would be for most teams) but if I were him I'd look at what the Clippers looked like and wouldn't think too much about moving.

I dunno what the deal is with his issues with the medical staff or w/e.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

there's only one page in this thread man...

my vote is player though but obviously clouded by his postgame career

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lockback posted:

He's an Other

I'd call him a Player-Athlete though if I had to use the superior job system.

Pure Wild Card
But if we wanna keep it simple he's an Athlete-Player.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Over 1/10th of Milwaukee’s population being in the deer district last night during a pandemic was one of the most irresponsible things I’ve ever seen on tv. I saw 0 masks, Delta is about to mutate to the Deer District strain. That crowd would have been a cool thing in non pandemic times. Americans deciding the pandemic was basically over this summer is going to look bad by the winter.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Spacebump posted:

Over 1/10th of Milwaukee’s population being in the deer district last night during a pandemic was one of the most irresponsible things I’ve ever seen on tv. I saw 0 masks, Delta is about to mutate to the Deer District strain. That crowd would have been a cool thing in non pandemic times. Americans deciding the pandemic was basically over this summer is going to look bad by the winter.

it looks bad now, infections are basically the same as this time last year

we're a nation that loves death though so no surprise

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol forgot about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYGxlr74mw

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My advice is just to get corona so you get some antibodies to protect you in case it mutates into something deadly. Worked for me. Now it's smooth sailing, there's literally nothing that can go wrong. Everything is perfect

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Giannis working on the tzatziki variant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU9fDDfTK-c

Seriously, do not ask thousands of people to needlessly go to an airport or all places.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spacebump posted:

i feel your sentiment but i wonder why they decided that.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
N: https://twitter.com/AROD/status/1417912345683120128?s=20

V: Congratulations to lifelong Minnesotan Alex Rodriguez

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Dejan Bimble posted:

My advice is just to get corona so you get some antibodies to protect you in case it mutates into something deadly. Worked for me. Now it's smooth sailing, there's literally nothing that can go wrong. Everything is perfect

so do you spit in my mouth or should we make out or what. how does this work

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That rear end in a top hat is definitely looking to move the team, even odds if he can actually make it happen, but I just know he is champing at the bit to do it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

player option opt out calendar:

quote:

July 25:
Isaiah Hartenstein ($1,762,796)

July 26:
JaMychal Green ($7,559,748)

July 28:
Bryn Forbes ($2,454,002)
Kris Dunn ($5,005,350)
Derrick Jones ($9,720,900)

July 31:
Montrezl Harrell ($9,720,900)

August 1:
Bobby Portis ($3,804,150)
Serge Ibaka ($9,720,900)
Josh Richardson ($11,615,328)
Kawhi Leonard ($36,016,200)
Chris Paul ($44,211,146)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

OzFactor posted:

N: https://twitter.com/AROD/status/1417912345683120128?s=20

V: Congratulations to lifelong Minnesotan Alex Rodriguez

His dream as a kid in New York, the Dominican and Miami was to own the Timberwolves, a team that was created when he was 14 years old.

Azathoth posted:

That rear end in a top hat is definitely looking to move the team, even odds if he can actually make it happen, but I just know he is champing at the bit to do it.

Right now owners would make a lot more money on expansion instead. Which if Arod/Lore really wanted a team in Seattle would have seemed easier just to try to get that. But I'm not super confident in them staying either.

hifi posted:

player option opt out calendar:

Putting in OP