Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The best tournament I've seen wasn't even a tournament but the thing they did for Puppers and just had a lot of entertaining people cycling through playing against each other as killer. It was the opposite of Serious Esports, mind you, but I would much rather hear TheEntityLeftHand on coms as survivor as a treat than four tryhards against another tryhard who's already in the hole by virtue of being the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Tournaments can work when Survivors and Killers are in separate groups and are scored separately.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dowsey's doing Hardcore Survivor Season 2, and this time it's a four-person SWF with Otzdarva, Ayrun and The JRM. They've been going for a few hours now.

https://www.twitch.tv/otzdarva
https://www.twitch.tv/dowsey
https://www.twitch.tv/ayrun
https://www.twitch.tv/thejrm_

The point is to go from rank 20 to rank 1 on a fresh account, and any time a survivor dies in game, they are lost forever.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I was just pointing out that BHVR does take the game seriously. It's not like the Smash devs, where they introduce tripping to pretty openly hinder the competitive scene. DBD as a purely casual fun time slasher sim got left behind years ago. Balance issues are just because BHVR accidentally stumbled into a competitive game and they still haven't figured out what makes it tick, nor do the seem willing to listen to their competitive players.

but yeah the tournaments are always bad unless everyone's making a mockery of the idea of dbd tournaments. the only way it gets into evo is if it gets smuggled into a bathroom.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

TGLT posted:

DBD as a purely casual fun time slasher sim got left behind years ago.

I blame swf

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's a competitive game at its core. The dev's unwillingness to balance around SWF makes the balance bad, but the fact that it survived longer than a few months made it pretty much inevitable.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Dowsey's doing Hardcore Survivor Season 2, and this time it's a four-person SWF with Otzdarva, Ayrun and The JRM. They've been going for a few hours now.

https://www.twitch.tv/otzdarva
https://www.twitch.tv/dowsey
https://www.twitch.tv/ayrun
https://www.twitch.tv/thejrm_

The point is to go from rank 20 to rank 1 on a fresh account, and any time a survivor dies in game, they are lost forever.

I love JRM. He's so wacky its unbelievable.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

temple posted:

I love JRM. He's so wacky its unbelievable.

Yeah he's been doing some poo poo on these streams as well.

And Otz just pulled a third pink key out of chests in three games.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Tournaments can work when Survivors and Killers are in separate groups and are scored separately.

i thought this was how it worked? idk my understanding of comp was a team has 1 killer and 4 survivors, and they match up against another team and basically compete for the best performance

team x faces team y's killer, team y faces team x's killer, the team that gets more escapes or faster escapes wins

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dawgstar posted:

The best tournament I've seen wasn't even a tournament but the thing they did for Puppers and just had a lot of entertaining people cycling through playing against each other as killer. It was the opposite of Serious Esports, mind you, but I would much rather hear TheEntityLeftHand on coms as survivor as a treat than four tryhards against another tryhard who's already in the hole by virtue of being the killer.

Best tournament of all time is “Come Cowshed me 1v1”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HvuDPuZIov4

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Doublestep posted:

i thought this was how it worked? idk my understanding of comp was a team has 1 killer and 4 survivors, and they match up against another team and basically compete for the best performance

team x faces team y's killer, team y faces team x's killer, the team that gets more escapes or faster escapes wins

It's possible, the only large tourney I've seen was for charity and there were separate killer/survivor team pools. In the end, there was a Killer champion and a Survivor Team champion. I've also seen a tourney where there were two teams of five people and the killer/survivors rotated each round.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/TieTuesdayLP/status/1417894723486892033?s=19

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I was playing Doctor on the meat packing plant today, and let's just say it didn't go amazingly well for the survivors. They kept making too much noise, so I could easily pop them with my blasts through walls and even the floor, and three of them were dead by the time two gens were done. To make matters worse, I found the hatch and slammed it, then found the lone survivor -- a Cheryl -- kinda hiding in a corner.

I guess they thought it wsa the end, but instead I felt sorry for them and led them to the gate, then used my electric powers to indicate they should open it and get out. After the doors opened I gave her some more juice and she was on her way.

After the game I was surprised when the Cheryl started (and kept) thanking me. I just told them that someone always needs to escape for the sequel, and the Entity can just make do with three sacrifices today.

Next game I played my first game on Ghostface, got five-genned with three hooks (no sacrifices) and teabagged and called names after the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
DbD truly exposes the duality of humankind.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I was playing Doctor on the meat packing plant today, and let's just say it didn't go amazingly well for the survivors. They kept making too much noise, so I could easily pop them with my blasts through walls and even the floor, and three of them were dead by the time two gens were done. To make matters worse, I found the hatch and slammed it, then found the lone survivor -- a Cheryl -- kinda hiding in a corner.

I guess they thought it wsa the end, but instead I felt sorry for them and led them to the gate, then used my electric powers to indicate they should open it and get out. After the doors opened I gave her some more juice and she was on her way.

After the game I was surprised when the Cheryl started (and kept) thanking me. I just told them that someone always needs to escape for the sequel, and the Entity can just make do with three sacrifices today.

Next game I played my first game on Ghostface, got five-genned with three hooks (no sacrifices) and teabagged and called names after the game.

I try to give the 4th person hatch but sometimes it's annoyingly hard to do. Had a domination yesterday with Pyramid Head, 5 gens left when there was only one person left, I caught him trying to fix a generator so I bonked him and walked around with him looking for the hatch. Couldn't find it, so he wriggled free. Fine, hopefully he got the hint. I went AFK to get a drink and came back...game still going. Go back and find him on the same generator. Picked him up, went looking, still couldn't find it...but luckily this time he got the hint and found it himself.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This pretty much sums up my experiences, I try to "play ball" by my own code but if people piss me off (Flashlight warriors, Teabaggers etc...) I'm gonna try to kill them into oblivion. Lately I've played Freddy long enough and mediocre enough to get him to rank 9. The loving talent sky rockets into the single digit ranks and half the time they are douchebags too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is a weird thing I've noticed, if I get some rear end in a top hat who's already won and will happily wait two minutes doing nothing just for a chance to use a flashlight macro, it's almost always a red rank. Like you struggle through this game's bass ackwards ranking system for that long and suddenly decide you have nothing better to do but poo poo in the swimming pool

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone know what time the event ends tomorrow?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

11:00 AM Eastern

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

No wonder everybody has suddenly decided to play killer.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Slinger's such a fun guy. Survivor decided to t-bag the open hatch while injured. This here railgun's got something to say about that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Comfortador posted:

This pretty much sums up my experiences, I try to "play ball" by my own code but if people piss me off (Flashlight warriors, Teabaggers etc...) I'm gonna try to kill them into oblivion. Lately I've played Freddy long enough and mediocre enough to get him to rank 9. The loving talent sky rockets into the single digit ranks and half the time they are douchebags too.

Why is it always flashlight and teabagging complaints? It’s not even a thing that matters and it’s all survivors have in their arsenal. In a pie chart of how to troll in dbd, killers have like 75% of the tools.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Thom and the Heads posted:

Slinger's such a fun guy. Survivor decided to t-bag the open hatch while injured. This here railgun's got something to say about that.
Which is why everyone (unfairly) hates him.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Shammypants posted:

Why is it always flashlight and teabagging complaints? It’s not even a thing that matters and it’s all survivors have in their arsenal. In a pie chart of how to troll in dbd, killers have like 75% of the tools.

Getting taunted mid-game seems like something that most people would get at least a little irked at.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's like emotes/turn timers in Hearthstone. They're perfectly innocuous tools that people will turn into ways to be rude because they're all they have available, so people would spam "That was a bad move" so often it had to be changed to "Wow!" and they'll wait out the 1-2 minute turn timer every single opportunity just to be jackasses before making their only play(the 2 mana creature on mana 2? Woah!) or passing. There's only two reasons to spam click flashlights at a killer: please chase me(legitimate looper strategy, sure) and heh heh I'm being rude. Or crouch spam, which could be please chase me, ad hoc communication or heh heh I'm being rude.

Sure, it's perfectly reasonable to not assume the worst. It'll keep you saner longer. Maybe the AFK is legitimate and they got a drink or something. Maybe the survivor is doing what he thinks is friendly. But widespread across enough instances... well, it's pretty hard to illustrate a difference between cheeky clicky clicky and rear end in a top hat clicky clicky.

A proper/expanded emote system in DbD would be nice. Killers already try to make due by spinning or meleeing the air/gen. Survivors could use a few more gestures.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thom and the Heads posted:

I like him. The Double Tap is especially fun when you M1 them first and then harpoon them.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
teabagging/clicking don't matter which is why survivors do it constantly

i just had back-to-back 11 hook games where the final person made a bunch of noise to try and lure you over so they could teabag. the first one i just stood on the other side of the wall from the hatch and they waited a good while before just leaving. survivors are often just weird little goobers.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had what i thought was a very fair game against a Shape the other day. My friend died and it was me, Dwight and Meg left. Meg got me off the hook as Dwight finished the last gen. Dwight got hooked. I open the gate and Michael chases me out of the map while Meg gets Dwight.

They get to the exit and spend the rest of the collapse timer taunting and blinding Michael. Right at the very end the Dwight bails but Meg stays to taunt a bit more. Michael goes one shot beast mode, downs her, and hooks her just as the timer ends.

Honestly was rooting for him at that point.

edit: my phone really doesn't think Meg is a real name or something.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 22, 2021

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Any survivor who gets bopped in the gate deserves it. If you're going to stand in the gate and give a lil zazzin to the killer you should at least understand where to stand so that when they down you, you fall out and escape. And obviously don't do it against Cowboy Gun

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did someone put out a call for Cowboys, btw? The last two days have been nothing but slingers.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
everything past the exit door should be a Grab Zone :getin:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I had a fun one where three survivors were injured hanging out in the exit area. They started healing one of them, triggered my Nurse's Calling, so I pulled up beside them with Pyramid Head and blasted the glowing red guys. BAM 3 knockdowns. Two went to cages and died, the other crawled out. The risk you take.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

The Berzerker posted:

Any survivor who gets bopped in the gate deserves it. If you're going to stand in the gate and give a lil zazzin to the killer you should at least understand where to stand so that when they down you, you fall out and escape. And obviously don't do it against Cowboy Gun

a good amount of this going to be happening post trickster buff too because if he downs you with knives you don't fall forward like normal

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think I'm finally getting the hang of Leatherface. The trick seems to be to start his chainsaw charge early so by the third one you've finally caught up with the survivor. Which is easier said than done sometimes, mind you.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Otz's thing happened during the Hardcore Season. It was a killer using addons that give extra bloodpoints rather than giving in-game benefits. Took 410 tracked games, plus "at least a couple hundred" before that to see it happen.

The point was that people either don't have the opportunity to bring things just for the hell of it, or are playing with such a "gotta win" mentality that they don't want to.

The killer who did the thing? A generally very clueless rank 17 Deathslinger who was either memeing or just didn't know better.

E: and then it happened immediately again in the next game when a clown brought a +100% BP for hitting survivors with bottles addon.

Shammypants posted:

Aren't you the guy who claimed that killers bring DC's on themselves by "playing certain ways" but never explained what those ways were? Would it be too much to ask what these 75% of the trolling tools for killers are?
Again, I am asking out of genuine interest because I play a lot of killer and would be interested in hearing what I could be doing that might be interpreted as trolling or BM?

And as for your question. Generally people don't like feeling like they are being made fun of, especially if they're already feeling kinda bad about getting completely steamrolled in a game, possibly because the game's matchmaker is trash and matches newbies and unskilled people with teams of extremely good players.

This isn't rocket science, if you go to a post-game lobby to call people scrubs, post "GG EZ L2P babies" and poo poo like that, some people aren't going to like it, especially if it keeps happening all the time. In general I try to be positive in the game, and encourage people to be positive as well. It's a confrontational game but it's also worth remembering that the "enemies" are also real human beings, and treating them accordingly.

Personally I mostly let teabagging and clicking roll off my back, but sometimes it sucks when I get completely rolled by some rank 1 SWF squad with a single rank 20 smurf who just 5 gen me in the blink of an eye. Like, go loving play against players your own level rather than making GBS threads on newbies and then being proud about it.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 22, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Actually saw my first hacker last night. A Nea with I guess for lack of a better term always on Sprint Burst.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"Nah bro I'm just giving you points," I declare as I teabag one inch away from the finish line with my finger hovering over Dead Hard

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

"Nah bro I'm just giving you points," I declare as I teabag one inch away from the finish line with my finger hovering over Dead Hard

one time I stood in the exit gate against someone who just kept dodging my Nemesis tentacles, and I realized he was just gonna keep doing that to waste time.

so I just stood there with the tentacle out holding down m2 and not attacking for like the next minute straight and he just kept running back and forth being confused.

Sadly he wasn't so confused as to die to the endgame collapse, but it was close!

Relax Or DIE posted:

everything past the exit door should be a Grab Zone :getin:

Legitimately this. I don't mind the people who go and heal next to the exit door for a few points before they leave, or the people who pause as you're chasing them out to let you get a hit in, but the ones who just run around in the gate at the finish line waiting for you to show up like they're Lucy with the football are just an obnoxious waste of time. If people in a slasher movie went "hahaha you can't touch me!" right before some place they thought would be safe they would get axed in the most comically ironic way possible, and the same should happen here.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Exit gate stuff is bad because if you have victor or a trap on (or just a long chase), survivors sandbag you by not leaving. My deepest rage is always about people not leaving or playing around hatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah once I realize I have taunters hanging out in the exit gate I just go around looking for pallets and doors to break.