Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

pick some fuckin movies that sound cool or the covers look cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
All That Jazz is a must for anyone and everyone

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Brazil will probably be up your alley, I'd recommend Seven Samurai because who doesn't like that movie, Videodrome is freaky sci-fi horror and one of the best films of the 80s, House is great fun.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I feel like someone who enjoys Wes Anderson would dig on Whit Stillman movies, so maybe Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco would be up your alley. Also Noah Baumbach’s early stuff, it’s not quite Wes in style but it clearly caught Wes’s eye since he brought him on to co-write Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Also, it’s not an especially great movie and is mostly in the Collection because future legend Dennis Muren cut his teeth doing special effects on it (while also being the creator of the original short and producing the feature), but something like Pacific Rim is born of the movie Equinox, so maybe that should be on the list to check out as well.

And anyone that lists a Coen movie pretty high has a good chance of digging Billy Wilder.

And Royal Tenenbaums straight up is like a Wes Anderson take on Magnificent Ambersons, so maybe check that out.

Otherwise, just do what yea ok suggests and scroll through stuff and click on what catches your eye and if the blurb sounds like you think you’d like it, give it a shot.

Of course I’m also assuming someone that put Shin Godzilla at the top of their list has already watched the original Godzilla at the very least, if not a good chunk of the Showa era stuff.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just rewatched Thief last night; Thief loving rules

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco

oh we’re just skipping Barcelona, ok. gently caress Barcelona am i right? sure. good

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Brexit the Frog posted:

oh we’re just skipping Barcelona, ok. gently caress Barcelona am i right? sure. good

I didn’t even realize they’d finally put it in the Collection, there were almost four hundred releases between Last Days of Disco and it

After they did five hundred releases it gets kinda hard to keep track what’s in and what’s not, after a thousand it feels loving impossible

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I bought the Criterion blu ray of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and on rewatch, this is an amazing movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Limited both got a lot of poo poo for Wes Anderson keeping with the same style and because it was the peak time of everyone complaining about “hipstery” things but they’re both extremely good

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Darjeeling Limited also caught a lot of flak for using the culture and people of India as background props for the wacky adventures of three white guys.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Gripweed posted:

I've seen some Suzuki movies and liked them, I should get back into his stuff. Thanks.

It's off topic, but the real answer here is to get deep into Arrow's Japanese releases. The Yakuza Papers series, Doberman Cop, Wolf Guy, Female Prisoner Scorpion, Cops Vs. Thugs, and almost every other Japanese release they do is super entertaining.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Biff Rockgroin posted:

It's off topic, but the real answer here is to get deep into Arrow's Japanese releases. The Yakuza Papers series, Doberman Cop, Wolf Guy, Female Prisoner Scorpion, Cops Vs. Thugs, and almost every other Japanese release they do is super entertaining.

Arrow rules and does not get enough street cred.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arrow also has their own streaming service that is really good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

KaptainKrunk posted:

Arrow rules and does not get enough street cred.

I’ve been impressed with every 4k I’ve bought from them. Amazing presentation, restorations and supplements.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK, asking for unqualified recommendations didn't work, but I figured out a way to pick up movies that aren't what I would normally get. I was looking at my list of top 30 movies and the movies I own, and I realized it's mostly boy movies. So in order to find new stuff I normally wouldn't watch, I need to get girl movies! I got Some Like it Hot, Umbrellas of Cherboug, and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

Biff Rockgroin posted:

They don't have a Barnes and Noble sale :(

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Gripweed posted:

OK, asking for unqualified recommendations didn't work, but I figured out a way to pick up movies that aren't what I would normally get. I was looking at my list of top 30 movies and the movies I own, and I realized it's mostly boy movies. So in order to find new stuff I normally wouldn't watch, I need to get girl movies! I got Some Like it Hot, Umbrellas of Cherboug, and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders

They don't have a Barnes and Noble sale :(

They do occasionally! It’s not as well advertised as the Criterion sale but there are at least yearly Arrow B&N sales.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lumbermouth posted:

They do occasionally! It’s not as well advertised as the Criterion sale but there are at least yearly Arrow B&N sales.

Oh poo poo. I guess I'm good on Criterion, I need to start saving for the next Arrow sale.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's an Arrow sale on DiabolikDVD right now.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Roth posted:

Arrow also has their own streaming service that is really good.

Real happy to hear this, I keep wondering if I should sub when I get some spare time

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Chris James 2 posted:

Real happy to hear this, I keep wondering if I should sub when I get some spare time

The selection isn't huge like Criterion Channel's, but they have a free month long trial and it's just $5 a month for a bunch of really good cult movies. They even put up new releases on there, like Years of Lead set is already up on it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Escobarbarian posted:

Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Limited both got a lot of poo poo for Wes Anderson keeping with the same style and because it was the peak time of everyone complaining about “hipstery” things but they’re both extremely good

I had seen Royal Tenenbaums and Darjeeling Limited before, but Darjeeling Limited was the film that made me love Wes Anderson. Then, in later years, I went back and realized my negative opinions about Tenenbaums was incorrect. It has become my favourite Anderson. Still not a huge fan of Aquatic, oddly, but I love every one of his other films.

Still loving these neo-noirs. I haven't seen a bad one yet. The worst has still been good. I still have half the list to watch, though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
At this point I tend to just buy movies that I find interesting and have a lot of solid extras. Exception is if really like the film of course. Other films I will just watch on criterion channel or other streaming.
The magnificent ambersons was filled to the brim with great extras. So much background history essays, interviews, and multiple commentary tracks. The welle's releases always tend to have a lot, but this one seemed to have more than most. The elephant man and Barry Lyndon are some other ones with a lot off the top of my head. And all of the Kurosawa and Del Toro films seem to have interesting commentary tracks so far.

On the other hand, Portrait of a Lady on Fire (while a great film) had mostly mediocre interviews.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hadn't seen "The Hit" before tonight, would recommend for not-the-usual gangster fare. Stamp and Hurt are great as always.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I picked up three more from B&N, call it retail therapy. Mirror I never finished but it’s my last Tarkovsky, and the Fassbinder is a total blind buy but it’s got promising credentials.

-Mirror
-Persona
-World on a Wire

And because nobody asked, here’s my reviews from the other ones I picked up this sale:

-Only Angels Have Wings: I loved this movie. Everything you want out of an old Hollywood adventure film. Nice tight, smart, well-plotted script, high stakes, great twists, great actors. The airplane scenes I think play really great still and I loved the sets, the South American airline hub/bar place reminded me a lot of the design of Adventureland in Disneyland. I’m sure that says more about my worldliness but nevertheless I thought it was great.

-It Happened One Night: Clark Gable’s prickliness toward Claudette Colbert was a little off-putting at first, but by the end of the picture their chemistry is pretty undeniable. You can also really sense the class tension the movie was riding on as it was released during the height of the Great Depression. And, being a pre-code comedy, the pretty overt references to loving were kinda shocking but made it all the more fresh to me. What a horrible bus that must have been to ride.

-Design for Living: And speaking of fresh and lewd, how fun is this movie? Describing the plot sounds incredibly simple, two starving male artists, one a painter, one a play write want to gently caress the same girl, but the girl abstains from loving them to motivate them to put out some good art. The script again is really witty, very horny, and lots of fun. Also had a great time and was probably the biggest surprise for me of the bunch.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Chris Knight posted:

Hadn't seen "The Hit" before tonight, would recommend for not-the-usual gangster fare. Stamp and Hurt are great as always.

I was choosing between that and Farewell, My Lovely, and went with the latter, but I know now to go for The Hit next.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I was gonna skip this sale because I've been broke, but the department of labor finally paid out my unemployment claim 10 weeks after filing it (and 6 weeks after I started another job :v: ) so I treated myself to Memories of Murder and The Elephant Man. First is a blind buy and the second I only saw once like 15+ years ago, looking forward to watching both soon.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I ended up really treating myself to some Eclipse Collections I’ve been eyeing.

- Masaki Kobayashi Against the System
- Nikkatsu Noir
- Deep Cover

Part of me is eyeing Jacques Tati if my next paycheck comes in early, but I think I should watch more of the collection on the channel before I commit to that

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

God drat, The Long Goodbye was great. Altman wins again!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Kart Barfunkel posted:

God drat, The Long Goodbye was great. Altman wins again!

yeah, the long goodbye slaps. Elliott Gould makes that movie, he's also great in Altman's California Split and the underappreciated suspense movie The Silent Partner.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Grabbing more Criterions this week.

The Darjeeling Limited, Sisters, The Lure and Videodrome.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I picked up Deep Cover and Working Girls

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Videodrome is a top-tier Criterion. Great packaging, great looking transfer, great movie. No-brainer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Videodrome is a top-tier Criterion. Great packaging, great looking transfer, great movie. No-brainer.

The Arrow 4k UHD of Crash and the Cronenberg interviews it includes has me hungry for more Cronenberg releases.

I'd get Naked Lunch, too, but it's been out of stock everywhere.

I waited so long to buy The Lure, but I really want to show it to my partner, so I had to get it for this weekend. Which is weird, cuz I've been championing that movie for years now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

I waited so long to buy The Lure, but I really want to show it to my partner, so I had to get it for this weekend. Which is weird, cuz I've been championing that movie for years now.

The Lure was an awesome theater experience.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The Lure was an awesome theater experience.

It really is. I don't necessarily want it to get the Rocky Horror treatment, but I absolutely want it to get an annual theatrical runs. I saw it in theaters for the first time, and when "You Were The Beat of My Heart" came on, I immediately fell in love with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Army of Shadows.

When I watch a movie that's about the French resistance, I expect at least one scene where a beautiful French woman rides a bicycle with a basket full of groceries on the front but then it turns out that under the groceries there's a gun or a bomb or some documents or something. Not only does Army of Shadows not have any scene anything like that, not having that scene is clearly the whole point of the movie.

So it was disappointing. Army of Shadows was a bad blind-buy.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Gripweed posted:

When I watch a movie that's about the French resistance, I expect at least one scene where a beautiful French woman rides a bicycle with a basket full of groceries on the front but then it turns out that under the groceries there's a gun or a bomb or some documents or something. Not only does Army of Shadows not have any scene anything like that, not having that scene is clearly the whole point of the movie.

You want some dope resistance cinema involving the French? Battle of Algiers!

And speaking of French films involving a resistance: God, I hope Criterion can do Z in the next couple of years.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

You want some dope resistance cinema involving the French? Battle of Algiers!

Battle of Algiers rules.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gripweed posted:

yeah you're literally describing a scene from Battle of Algiers, that's how loving good and influential it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah you're literally describing a scene from Battle of Algiers, that's how loving good and influential it is

Battle of Algiers and The Longest Day. Both much more enjoyable than Army of Shadows.