Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

codo27 posted:

Holy loving flying jesus I forgot about the outdoors (grass side) part of metro. It was only in 3 wasn't it? gently caress rush

drat, that was my favorite part of rush on that map. The first outdoors part ruled. The last part, also outside with 2 or 3 buildings, sucked rear end however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
For what it's worth I like the idea of Rush but a lot of Rush maps are actually just garbage imo, because a lot of them just devolve to chokepoint clusterfucks or wide open killzones which are sniper hell.

And the uneven vehicle spawns on that mode don't help. There was one mapwhere the attacking side gets an Attack Helicopter and the defenders don't even get an AA, iirc.

edit: It's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM_vv_Oabyw

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 21, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i dont know why, but BF3 had the best rush mode in the series and since then, it has kinda sucked

im gonna guess map design, but there has to be more to it than that

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i dont know why, but BF3 had the best rush mode in the series and since then, it has kinda sucked

BC2 rush maps were the best

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Part of it is that BF1 introduced operations as a successor to rush. Like 40 player shock operations were the best mode in BF1. There was no real reason to play rush after that.

Rush was okay in V when frontlines wasnt available, but the mode became a lot worse when they cut the map boundaries down to limit wide flanks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was flying around in the A-10 in BF4 last night and for some reason had flashbacks to flying the bombers in third person view in 1942, skimming the deck of the carrier in wake island to load up on bombs again. I don't remember much about my childhood but could probably navigate that map with my eyes closed today.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone remember MAG on PS3? Probably not. How long until someone finally comes up with a MMO sort of styled shootmans where its not round after round, but larger, longer battles that you jump into on and off and that might take days or weeks to complete? I guess we're moving further away from the possibility of something like that with everything in the entire world just being more and more geared towards instant gratification and brain chemical exploits. People itt even complaining about missing the CoD hit marker sound, I do believe I read they went so far as to research slot machines to come up with the most fitting sounds they could to draw people in and keep them hooked. God knows I played enough warzone during lockdown.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

codo27 posted:

Anyone remember MAG on PS3? Probably not. How long until someone finally comes up with a MMO sort of styled shootmans where its not round after round, but larger, longer battles that you jump into on and off and that might take days or weeks to complete? I guess we're moving further away from the possibility of something like that with everything in the entire world just being more and more geared towards instant gratification and brain chemical exploits. People itt even complaining about missing the CoD hit marker sound, I do believe I read they went so far as to research slot machines to come up with the most fitting sounds they could to draw people in and keep them hooked. God knows I played enough warzone during lockdown.

You mean like... Planetside 2?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

That type of game is out of fashion. Give it a few year, they'll be back.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Planetside 2 could have been a huge hit if they hadn't dumbed down the gameplay from Planetside 1 and then completely stuffed it full of pay-to-win content.

I'm just thankful RTS's are coming back into fashion for now. Maybe one day we'll get another good MMO shooter.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If you're looking for that sort of thing, Foxhole may be for you. It's a top-down shooter rather than first-person, but apart from that it hits this idea exactly. Every rifle, tank, shell, and grenade used in battle is first made in factories by players, with resources mined and refined by players, and transported to the front line by players. With a few friends you can create a bunker network to rival Verdun, complete with heavy artillery emplacements firing indirectly at targets on the other side of the map.

Now for me personally it tends to fall more into the kind of game that is more fun to read about than to actually play. But if you do like that sort of large-scale dynamic and enjoy the prospect of spending a cozy few hours driving a truck to ferry materiel from the rear to the front, it should be extremely your poo poo.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

SpartanIvy posted:

Planetside 2 could have been a huge hit if they hadn't dumbed down the gameplay from Planetside 1 and then completely stuffed it full of pay-to-win content.

I liked ps2 but I don't think it could have been a hit with even the best gameplay design decisions possible, given the parameters required in a planetside gsme. Server tech in 2012 was nowhere good enough to support the kind lf fps gameplay and player count they went for- I'm not even sure if we're there yet today.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

jisforjosh posted:

Bring back destructible MCOMMs! Maybe provide the ability to repair them.

It was so tense fighting to keep the last wall of a building from collapsing.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I hope one of these days theres a teaser for a 2042 version of a 2142 map for an eventual 2142 DLC / Expansion.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

jisforjosh posted:

https://twitter.com/BFBulletin/status/1417605018224627717

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

God that lighthouse in Valparaiso. It was hard to get there sometimes but it was so great to just relax and spend some time denying it to enemy snipers. Don't try to do anything but rack up some chill kills and salt.

Also I was one of the assholes who'd jump into the TOW missile point and lob missiles at one of the MCOMs in the fishing village to take care of it cheese style.

BC2 Rush was great other than how they really went overboard on the destructible terrain and the points would become moonscapes devoid of cover in any direction. I feel they learned their lesson by the time BF3 came around (and then still had to dial it further back when goons showed you could use the dirt deformation to dig literal trenches in the Metro gardens with C4 during the all metro all the time beta :v:)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm just thankful RTS's are coming back into fashion for now. Maybe one day we'll get another good MMO shooter.

When are they gonna make Natural Selection 3, I ask

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Metro but it's 2021 on Earth and the map didn't get any better with age

FTFY

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
So what has happened to the "leakers" who were chucking speculation around as fact 6 months ago, surely now we are closer to launch their "insiders" can give us more concrete info?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They've already leaked most of the substantial stuff, if they're proven to be correct. Even correct leakers don't always have full information on stuff like maps or mechanics.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bring back the Tribes franchise imo.

Hill skiing and spinfusors!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The more I play BF1 again, the more I am surprised just by how horrible so many maps are. Sure, they are visually all extremely pretty and quite memorable, but the game flow is often just garbage. Linear meatgrinders, wide stretches of bare ground to cross without cover, extremely lopsided attempts at asymmetric balance, and like every second map seems tailor made to ensure that the losing team can be helplessly bottled into a narrow uncap zone with only a single exit. At this rate, the more old BF2/3/4 maps they reuse for 2042 the better.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

codo27 posted:

MAG is the only true good console FPS and probably the the best FPS overall, but the contract system was extremely thin papering-over of a lobby shooter.

but yes MAG was perfect and everything since has been extremely dumb baby idiot poo poo in comparison. now that shooters have largely done away with hitscan weapons (which technically MAG didn't have but it had nuts bullet velocity and 0 drop so it wasn't far off) we might someday see typical CoD/BF poo poo reach something at that level someday maybe.

but as to the MMO systems, I think people are right that Planetside is too before it's time for that kind of thing, but the MAG system of normal group instances arranged in typical fashion but technically related by spreadsheet is much more doable than an open-world organic battlefield where anyone can drop in at any time.

The predetermined faction systems of MAG/PS are a dead end though, nobody gave a poo poo about SVER/Raven/Valor and just hopped between them whenever they felt like it. Same with PS2 but I only remember the Vanu.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

priznat posted:

Bring back the Tribes franchise imo.

Hill skiing and spinfusors!

they did, though I guess Tribes: Ascend was almost a decade ago and it really could use a new attempt

the various spiritual successors have mostly been fun but definitely lost some of the original magic

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tribes Ascended rocked. Titanfall 1 & 2 rocked.

Need me some more Go Fast Shootymans games.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I remember being confused as poo poo by tribes as a kid because all I could find were servers with crazy mods so I still don't really know what the game was actually like

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

NO Baserap

NO Shotgun

NO French

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
mon dieu

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The United States posted:

NO Baserap

NO Shotgun

NO French

We’ve finally hit peak badmin

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
BF1 is free* and BF5 is going to be free august 2nd

* amazon prime
https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/battlefield1

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rockstar Massacre posted:

MAG is the only true good console FPS and probably the the best FPS overall, but the contract system was extremely thin papering-over of a lobby shooter.

but yes MAG was perfect and everything since has been extremely dumb baby idiot poo poo in comparison. now that shooters have largely done away with hitscan weapons (which technically MAG didn't have but it had nuts bullet velocity and 0 drop so it wasn't far off) we might someday see typical CoD/BF poo poo reach something at that level someday maybe.

but as to the MMO systems, I think people are right that Planetside is too before it's time for that kind of thing, but the MAG system of normal group instances arranged in typical fashion but technically related by spreadsheet is much more doable than an open-world organic battlefield where anyone can drop in at any time.

The predetermined faction systems of MAG/PS are a dead end though, nobody gave a poo poo about SVER/Raven/Valor and just hopped between them whenever they felt like it. Same with PS2 but I only remember the Vanu.

MAG blew and it died because it did. Cool idea, dogshit execution on all fronts.

E: The DUST 514 of its time.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 22, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sab669 posted:

It's me: the weirdo who'd actually go for the flag in a fatsuit in Tribes:Ascend.

Never worked against a team that was even halfway competent/coordinated but oh my god was it loving hilarious each time some enemy scout coming to drop the flag (or just zooming over the flag stand as they idled and waited for their team to try to make our flag runner drop their flag) and discovered that I'd replaced the friendly Doombringer shield on the stand with my own.

Also grabbing the flag as a Brute with the "explosive damage gives jetpack energy" perk and having multiple scouts nicking me with their itty bitty spinfusers, recharging my energy as I ambled along to where my team could pick up the flag. My friend once said the mental image was along the lines of "A fat dog wobbling excitedly back with the ball, unconcerned by all of the angry chickens it just bowled over."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sab669 posted:

Infinite Warfare was the best COD for fast shootmans

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1418210983311384592?s=20

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Neat. Genuinely surprised Metro isnt in there. I wonder how involved the community will get with creating stuff for it or if it gets quickly abandoned cause its too complicated

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Is this hazard mode?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s the previously redacted mode. Hazard is it’s own other thing, I think.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

players will be experiencing the bulk of the story through multiplayer matches and the maps themselves, rather than through a traditional Battlefield campaign component.

Battlefield games have a campaign? 🤨

This Portal Mode sounds neat I guess, wonder how powerful the "Rules Editor" is and if we'll see stuff like the DOTA 2 Arcade where custom games are entirely their own animal and often times an entire genre separate from DOTA 2 itself.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Infinite Warfare was the best COD for fast shootmans

The last COD I played as Advanced Warfare, and I put a paltry 12 hours into the multiplayer because IIRC the netcode was beyond terrible at launch. Since then... gently caress giving money to actiblizz :colbert: bring back dedicated servers you cowards

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Imagine experiencing all the these classic original maps the way they were always meant to be played: Without snipers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Perestroika posted:

Imagine experiencing all the these classic original maps the way they were always meant to be played: Without snipers.

Gonna make a rule that you die if you stop moving