Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Speaking of raw supers, what can I do as Leo against Pot’s big barrier wall super? Seems I just have to eat the thing? Surely there’s some answer for that.

As May I just jump and dash over it and I assumed that works for everyone.

If he happens to do it at short range you can just throw him out of it, which I only know because of the mission mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

BurningBeard posted:

Speaking of raw supers, what can I do as Leo against Pot’s big barrier wall super? Seems I just have to eat the thing? Surely there’s some answer for that.

I don't know about Leo options but you can jump over it, a lot of low profile moves can go through it (Night Raid Vortex and Heavy Mob Cemetary on Sol and probably Stroke The Big Tree on I-No? I'm not 100% on that one) but you have to be careful because if Potemkin is ready for you to try to get past it he can absolutely punish you, like meeting you in mid-air and airthrowing you down into it, or poking you out of your approach if you go under. Your best option is generally to just block it. If you block it up close immediately as he uses it, it's only a single hit and pushes you away so he gets almost nothing off of it. If you block it after the projectile starts you're stuck blocking a few hits and he can use that to approach you which is less good but not that threatening honestly. Running away from it is usually a bad idea, Potemkin can just hammerfall to chase you and you can't really punish it because if you try to hit him during that you'll almost certainly get countered by accidentally punching the mirror behind him and he can just combo you. I'd probably just jump into the mirror and FD it in the air, there's very little Potemkin can do other than get like, maybe AN oki attack on you but it's not very many hits so he really doesn't have much time to set anything up and it doesn't cause much blockstun I don't think.

Edit: I doublechecked, potemkin is +1 on it but I'm not sure if that counts the projectile hits. It's really not a very threatening move though to do raw, just don't try to do any projectiles to try to dissuade Potemkin from rushing you, the mirror stops all of them.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 21, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

BurningBeard posted:

Super Jump into Air Dash over it works for everyone, as long as Pot is sleeping on the job which they definitely are even on floor 10 in my experience.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
If you can't jump over it, just blocking the hits is fine too, just be prepared to jump + block if he tries to get close to potbuster you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks goons. I didn’t realize it built up hits as it traveled, and I didn’t want to jump into him because of the anti air grab, Leo has poo poo all for low profiling, but that’s no big deal. Appreciated.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

BurningBeard posted:

Thanks goons. I didn’t realize it built up hits as it traveled, and I didn’t want to jump into him because of the anti air grab, Leo has poo poo all for low profiling, but that’s no big deal. Appreciated.

It doesn't, but it hits once on the first frame before it starts traveling and if you block it then the mirror doesn't come out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BurningBeard posted:

Literally just hold down-back and pot's shield super becomes a non-issue.
As a pot player, 90% of the value I get out of that super is people panicking and trying to avoid blocking it (either trying to pass over/under/through it with something unsafe or holding back and cornering themselves). It's basically just a weaker H Stun Edge. (The actual reversal part before the projectile comes out is nice though.)
Using it in neutral feels like a bad habit because Pot can get way more done off of hammerfall RC stuff if he wants to spend meter to get in.

BurningBeard posted:

Heat Knuckle isn't a real grab as of strive. You can airblock it, although the blockstun is super long and you'll end up minus and pretty close to Pot.
But If Potemkin has 100 meter then don't even try to jump the aegis reflector because HPB is the real deal.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 21, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Heat Knuckle isn't a real grab as of strive. You can airblock it, although the blockstun is super long and you'll end up minus and pretty close to Pot.
But If Potemkin has 100 meter then don't even try to jump the aegis reflector because HPB is the real deal.

I love this setup. It's gimmicky since it just requires a little knowledge/experience to not fall for it but it feels so cool to pull off. You avoided my super? Too bad I have... another super :evilbuddy:

vvvvvvvv wow, i had no idea projectiles completely froze for the whole animation of HPB. that's badass

big deal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 21, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
And in the best case scenario, you even get to combo afterwards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guiltygear/comments/o7qgp7/landed_the_legendary_potemkin_combo/

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
The VIP wanted poster is overrated. People are way less willing to play even in the park where wins and losses mean nothing. I love my dolphins, but I want to be decent with a few other characters. It makes getting diverse experience with side characters harder than it should be.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Big Dickinson can run?? Instant main.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I've won way more fights just on basic stuff - block, block, block, low kick, sweep, cool that hit, low slash and back to neutral. No fancy combo, just some solid hits and 15% of their life bar gone. Do that again 7 times and you win. Stumble over your own feet trying to do something fancy while the opponent clearly knows what you're trying to do, and you just get punished.

This is certainly true, but you have to keep in mind that all else being equal, the player who only has to do that 1 or 2 more times is going to do a lot better than the one who has to do it 7 more times. You can't neglect getting more damage out of your hits, it just isn't item #1.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So one of my action items is to try to make a blockstring of my own and practice it. That led me to figure out how a blockstring is constructed:

The fighting game glossary says "Generally, a block string will be composed of several plus on block or cancelable attacks performed in quick sequence." So any move in a blockstring should either be cancelable into each other, or be plus on block.

The first move of a blockstring (a "blockstring starter"), I'm not sure about, but it still has to be plus on block or cancelable into something else. Normals are generally pretty fast, so I figured anything fast with gatlings is a good choice.

The last move of a blockstring, assuming the enemy is still blocking, needs to be plus on block so you can quickly do another blockstring starter. But if the enemy is not blocking, then ideally it should be something with good hitconfirm, so you can easily tell that it's time to combo.

I ended up making a blockstring of 5K, 6P, and 214S. 5K is a good poke, and the only gatling option that doesn't get punished by either a low or high jab (from Ky at least) is 6P. 6P doesn't have any gatling options, so we need to bust out a special move, which is 214S. 214S is plus on block and has a fast startup, so this will make it easy to launch into another blockstring if we need to.

I'm not entirely sure what to do from that point. I assume I start another blockstring, but from trying it out, I don't think the same blockstring will work cause I'm kinda far from the enemy. I'll practice and try putting some more together.

EDIT: I got close with 5K -> 6P -> 214S, then 2S -> 5H -> 236K, but there's still enough time between 5H and 236K to hit me if I'm just barely two pixels too close, so it's not very reliable. :sigh: Back to the drawing board.

EDIT 2: I think I got something! 5K -> 6P -> 214S, then 2K -> 2D -> 236K is a bit rough, but good for now. If 2D counterhits, then it's really easy to react and do 214K instead.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 21, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm pretty sure 6P is too short range to connect after a blocked 5K at a majority of ranges. 2D might be a better option. If you've labbed it out so that Ky is mashing 5P or 2P after 5K and beats out your other options besides 6P that doesn't mean 6P is your best option for the blockstring. It means that if you recognize the situation where your opponent is mashing buttons after blocking even a single 5K then you have ample opportunities to frame trap them with a cancel into 214K for a nice counter hit combo.

One of the key differences between a blockstring and a combo is that just because moves don't necessarily combo into each other doesn't make it a bad blockstring. The natural delay between 5K and 2D on block can catch a lot of people pressing buttons at specific ranges and also leads to good damage.

Ending strings with 214S is excellent for keeping pressure since it means you basically get to press buttons again when your opponent really shouldn't, but keep in mind that mash heavy players are likely to jab you out of 214S. This is where mixing it up between 214S and delayed 214K can net some serious rewards.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

So one of my action items is to try to make a blockstring of my own and practice it. That led me to figure out how a blockstring is constructed:

The fighting game glossary says "Generally, a block string will be composed of several plus on block or cancelable attacks performed in quick sequence." So any move in a blockstring should either be cancelable into each other, or be plus on block.

The first move of a blockstring (a "blockstring starter"), I'm not sure about, but it still has to be plus on block or cancelable into something else. Normals are generally pretty fast, so I figured anything fast with gatlings is a good choice.

The last move of a blockstring, assuming the enemy is still blocking, needs to be plus on block so you can quickly do another blockstring starter. But if the enemy is not blocking, then ideally it should be something with good hitconfirm, so you can easily tell that it's time to combo.

I ended up making a blockstring of 5K, 6P, and 214S. 5K is a good poke, and the only gatling option that doesn't get punished by either a low or high jab (from Ky at least) is 6P. 6P doesn't have any gatling options, so we need to bust out a special move, which is 214S. 214S is plus on block and has a fast startup, so this will make it easy to launch into another blockstring if we need to.

I'm not entirely sure what to do from that point. I assume I start another blockstring, but from trying it out, I don't think the same blockstring will work cause I'm kinda far from the enemy. I'll practice and try putting some more together.

EDIT: I got close with 5K -> 6P -> 214S, then 2S -> 5H -> 236K, but there's still enough time between 5H and 236K to hit me if I'm just barely two pixels too close, so it's not very reliable. :sigh: Back to the drawing board.

EDIT 2: I think I got something! 5K -> 6P -> 214S, then 2K -> 2D -> 236K is a bit rough, but good for now. If 2D counterhits, then it's really easy to react and do 214K instead.

The other half of a good block string is don't be predictable with what you're doing. 236K leaves a gap, so if the player is just mindlessly mashing (or waiting for it) they'll counter hit you right out of it and end your pressure.

Sometimes it's ok to end with a safe on block special, or even end your blockstring earlier for a dash up throw. Make sure to play with your timing as well, for example you could cancel 5k->6P slightly late which would leave a few frames where your opponent will get counterhit if they're mashing on defense. At low levels, they're almost always mashing on defense

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
Nago can always end at 0 if you have the blood for it so as long as there aren't major gaps he is pretty free form on blockstrings. Having an opponent block any of your H normals gives a bit of blood back and opens up more of your specials, and at high blood they're true blockstrings starting from 2S. They're not positive but they're long range enough you can't be punished, and if they try mixing in a late cancel 214H should punish them.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Veev posted:

Nago can always end at 0 if you have the blood for it so as long as there aren't major gaps he is pretty free form on blockstrings.

With a few crucial exceptions e.g. you can't special cancel at all out of the third hit of f.SSS, you'd better make a decision after the second hit or you're stuck with an incredibly unsafe on block hit. On the other hand it's a natural frame trap, but on the third hand nobody who has any experience with him is going to fall for it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm not the only person who has a gently caress of a lot of issues with matchmaking, right? Like constant timeouts and failures. I even got a bug where I was stuck in the lobby, and could only dash forward.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No its bad

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Pollyanna posted:

I'm not the only person who has a gently caress of a lot of issues with matchmaking, right? Like constant timeouts and failures. I even got a bug where I was stuck in the lobby, and could only dash forward.

the mm and lobbies in this game are complete garbage

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like I swear I could code a better lobby system. I wouldn't, but I could.

I think the latency for getting an R-Code is the saddest part of it all.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I’ve had a really good experience so far where I get matches constantly and rarely get failed ones. this is from never setting foot inside the tower and always just match searching from training mode.

My only gripe is when that does fail to connect I have to back all the way out and let the game reset its slow rear end connection, that sucks.

edit: I also feel compelled to add that I didn’t mean this as a gently caress you got mine, and more a confirmation that poo poo seems inconsistent across the board. I really hope that no matter what the first patch brings balance wise, it also brings some fixes to the connection bullshit (blazing).

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 22, 2021

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Man I'm getting better over time at dealing with Leo but I still basically lose if he gets me into his offensive blender. May's lack of meterless defensive options hurts when Leo's got me stuck in the corner and I've already Bursted. I think I'm just bad at dealing with rushdown, because I-No and Giovanna also constantly make me feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 22, 2021

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's a recent video of Lord Knight (one of the long time GG players, mains Millia) getting completely blown up by Leo's mixups in back turned in a long set against Sonicfox. It seems the best way to avoid getting mixed is to stop him from ever entering back turned in the first place which is easier said than done.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hyper Inferno posted:

There's a recent video of Lord Knight (one of the long time GG players, mains Millia) getting completely blown up by Leo's mixups in back turned in a long set against Sonicfox. It seems the best way to avoid getting mixed is to stop him from ever entering back turned in the first place which is easier said than done.

Yeah if I can keep Leo from turning his back I can slap him around all day unless I forget about his flash kick. Once he gets into stance I'm lucky if I can get my turn back that round.

Edit: come to think of it I just uploaded a video this morning that illustrates. I win handily when I can keep Leo out of stance, but when he gets into it I just fall apart. Before anyone asks, I wish I could claim that moment of stillness in the first round was some genius footsies on my part, but it wasn't. There was a weird lag spike and we both backed off until the rollback went back under 5.

https://youtu.be/qvxGiLbqMMI

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 22, 2021

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I try to burst early ASAP against Leo. gently caress his mixups.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone bursts my rc i have to start blocking instead of using it until that burst is wasted

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Everyone bursts my rc i have to start blocking instead of using it until that burst is wasted

Especially against floor 6-9 players everyone knows that rc=damage so it is basically 50 meter for a burst bait. By the time you finish your combo punishing their burst you will probably already have the meter back

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Anyone interested in getting a lobby going tonight?

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Hace posted:

Anyone interested in getting a lobby going tonight?

Steam? Just got home from work and was gonna log on in a few minutes, so i’d be down.

edit for hace: I’m obviously not on your level, but i had fun against you regardless friend

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 22, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I have a room up at 7h6ixw if anyone wants to join!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
good games yall, i'll try to get a room up semi-regularly (and earlier) to try and get some games here going more often

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i noticed this way too late, i'll try to make it next time

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Remember how I said people don't block low? Yeah uh people really don't block low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePsAYFgw64
This was the final match of 3 sets, in which I'd been doing this constantly. On Floor 9.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
This was on the front page of my Youtube app an hour or so ago. Far as I've glimpsed, one player is just completely clowning on everyone else in mostly uneven matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5WUa3yvu0

Also found the now-winner on Twitch right before I started typing this. He was yelling "Yatta!" a whole bunch before I could submit.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

Remember how I said people don't block low? Yeah uh people really don't block low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePsAYFgw64
This was the final match of 3 sets, in which I'd been doing this constantly. On Floor 9.

Why would I block when I can push a button instead???

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
G
O
L
D
L
E
W
I
S

D
I
C
K
I
N
S
O
N

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Golddick Lewisinson

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

unimportantguy posted:

Does it count as conditioning your opponent if they never adjust their behavior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Generally, in any competitive situation you shouldn’t change your strategy when you’re winning. If you’ve bopped them low three times in a row don’t go high on the fourth, just keep doing that until they adjust. Don’t try to be fancy and make some galaxy brain read, just fukken keep hitting them with the good poo poo!