Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Consider all the jobs -- warehouse, factory, cleaning, and so on -- that are ill-paid and where employers don't allow time spent wandering around with your kid.

Maybe this is just the slackass safety practices of the 70s/80s, but as a youngster I recall visiting various relatives/parents' friends at work in warehouses, factories, and construction sites. I even got to visit my dad when he worked at the factory that made Quaaludes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Then I'll add this to the Cultural differences between America and The UK/Europe. Thank you.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The other sitcom thing I always wondered about was the one where they pair off kids and make them look after a fake baby. Because if that's real then it's pretty hosed up.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That is still very real. They even have high-tech ones that cry unless you hold a key in place and go off randomly at all hours.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Here in Scotland we had work experience when I was in high school in the early 00s, and I think they still do, where we spent a week in, I think, second year of high school working at an office, factory, restaurant, shop etc instead of school. It wasn't anything to do with our parents though, it was arranged by the school.

I worked at a volunteer organisation that made audio cassettes and CDs of newspapers and magazines and such for the blind, the whole process of which would probably fit this thread to a tee.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Sweevo posted:

The other sitcom thing I always wondered about was the one where they pair off kids and make them look after a fake baby. Because if that's real then it's pretty hosed up.

In my highschool they got individual electronic babies (with the key, as mentioned) and it was only for a very small group of students in a super remedial program called "life skills training" which I can only describe as being for anyone who was barely going to graduate or was just not going to.

My science teacher banned them from his class, the robot babies.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

We just looked after an egg and pretended it was a baby. My randomly assigned partner broke it when it was her weekend to look after it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

we had bags of flour because eggs were too easy to throw replace

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sweevo posted:

In my high school, all sophomores had to take a health class. Two different teachers taught it. To my rural high school’s credit, the classes were co-ed and the sex ed unit covered safer sex practices.

How they followed up sex ed went differently. Students in the male teacher’s classes were assigned a report about a venereal disease that would rot out your genitals. Students in the female teacher’s class were assigned robot babies.

The depressing conclusion about the consequences of unprotected sex depending on childbearing ability will be left as an exercise for the reader.

Students weren’t paired up for a robot baby, thus presenting an even more realistic picture of what it would probably be like to be a teen parent - the only thing they missed out on was fighting over a custody agreement.

Anyway, nobody wanted to end up in the female teacher’s class solely because of the robot baby, so I guess at the very least everyone got the basic gist of the idea that you should avoid having a babby as a teen.

I would be very interested to know the teen pregnancy statistics of each cohort though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

I would be very interested to know the teen pregnancy statistics of each cohort though.

Lol about that....
https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/26/12658162/robot-babies-teen-pregnancy-abortion-study

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

lol @ the free condoms increasing birth rates too. Who knew you had to actually teach sex ed rather than tossing some tools at kids and saying good luck?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Sweevo posted:

We did this with an egg or something, so my teammate who didn’t do sports simply went home and put it in her home desk. We just had our parents sign off on the transfer/“custody” stuff.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 2, 2021

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

There were a few students at my school (all girls to my recollection) who took it very seriously.

It’s an interesting study. I’d be interested to see a follow up that explored the length of time being assigned the robobabby (my school assigned them for a week to each kid), or male participation in the program overall.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Here's one that just came up in the newspaper comic strip thread: licking the tip of a pencil before you start to write. The Internet's best guess seems to be that pencils used to be crappier, with a binder that was slightly water-soluble, so wetting it would give you a darker line.

(In the interest of science, I've just tried it with a modern pencil, and I see no difference in the mark left by a licked or un-licked pencil.)

e: Fixed link to the post in other thread

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 2, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's muscle memory from licking a pen tip/quill to get it started. Don't overthink it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yup, it's a two layers deep archaism. People in old media licked pencils to evoke people in older medis licking quills. Very thread appropriate.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I just like how graphite tastes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not just quill pens.

Fountain pens can dry out, and ballpoints didn’t murder them till the nineteen sixties.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platystemon posted:

It’s not just quill pens.

Fountain pens can dry out, and ballpoints didn’t murder them till the nineteen sixties.

SHHH!

Don't type that too loudly, the A/T fountain pen thread will hear you.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I actually miss my fountain pen. I loved writing with it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

BattyKiara posted:

I actually miss my fountain pen. I loved writing with it

Same. It felt super nice. A thin sharpie pen is functionally perfect, but there was something about the feel and sound of that fountain pen that just made it a joy to use.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have a fountain pen and green ink that I use on special occasion letters and it makes me feel cool as gently caress

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fountain pens are lovely, and there's a nice thing where a pen you've had for a while gets its nib shaped by how you hold the pen, so it becomes entirely personalized to you.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Here in Scotland we had work experience when I was in high school in the early 00s, and I think they still do, where we spent a week in, I think, second year of high school working at an office, factory, restaurant, shop etc instead of school. It wasn't anything to do with our parents though, it was arranged by the school.

I worked at a volunteer organisation that made audio cassettes and CDs of newspapers and magazines and such for the blind, the whole process of which would probably fit this thread to a tee.

Yeah in England here and we had two weeks of work experience in high school, I actually did go to work with my dad and I know a few people went with their parents if they could get away with it. I think I went for a day or two and after that he just let me stay at home.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lemniscate Blue posted:

SHHH!

Don't type that too loudly, the A/T fountain pen thread will hear you.

It's already begun

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bring your son to work can be all the time for lower class single parents. I spent a lot of time playing Gameboy and learning to be quiet in the corner as a kid.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I spent a lot of time playing Gameboy and learning to be quiet in the corner as a kid.

That's just because nobody liked you.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My stepdad is a machinist/welder and my mom is a kindergarten teacher and I went probably spent countless hours at their workplaces as a kid because usually school was over before their workday was and sometimes I forgot the key to the apartment.

My actual dad is a fisherman I never went to his workplace as a kid for obvious reasons (the sea is a harsh mistress).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FreudianSlippers posted:

My stepdad is a machinist/welder and my mom is a kindergarten teacher and I went probably spent countless hours at their workplaces as a kid because usually school was over before their workday was and sometimes I forgot the key to the apartment.

My actual dad is a fisherman I never went to his workplace as a kid for obvious reasons (the sea is a harsh mistress).
When your mom said he was "off with his c-word mistress" that's not what she meant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, my dad taught college and my mom was a school librarian, so I spent a lot of time in both of their offices sitting on the floor reading. (Because the floor was more comfortable than an office chair, that's why.)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Splicer posted:

When your mom said he was "off with his c-word mistress" that's not what she meant.

What if his dad was banging a selkie??

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Splicer posted:

:golfclap:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My dad worked at a Gold's Gym in Kansas for a bit and I caught a lot of pokémon and built a lot of DBZ models in his office

They had a kid's playplace area for parents working out but I was too much of an rear end in a top hat to go there. I wanted to hang out alone in the special cool office.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The printer’s key came up today.

I think this has always been confusing to students. The reasons that historically made the “number line” cryptic no longer apply with modern methods of printing, but tradition carries on.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Splicer posted:

But Brandy is a fine girl?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Bring your son to work can be all the time for lower class single parents. I spent a lot of time playing Gameboy and learning to be quiet in the corner as a kid.

I played a lot of Everquest on the computer of whichever one of my mom’s coworkers wasn’t at work at the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RCarr posted:

I played a lot of Everquest on the computer of whichever one of my mom’s coworkers wasn’t at work at the time.

"this PC has performed an illegal operation"

oh gently caress the cops are coming for me, the seven-year-old

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Do people still say, "Oh well, back to the drawing board."? Would anybody younger than a certain age get the reference?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Drafting tables still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
“Well back to FILE and then NEW. A blank PNG like new fallen snow.”