Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Fortunately their newer stuff is still good and doesn't have any lovely stuff in it unless I missed it so I usually just tell people to check that out

Inside Number 9 (is that what you meant by their newer stuff?) has some amazingly good episodes but it also has one where the moral is that if you show the slightest bit of humanity to homeless people they will abuse your generosity and steal your life from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Whybird posted:

Inside Number 9 (is that what you meant by their newer stuff?) has some amazingly good episodes but it also has one where the moral is that if you show the slightest bit of humanity to homeless people they will abuse your generosity and steal your life from you.

That's not what I got from that episode tbh. Yeah that one guy is an awful gaslighting prick but I don't think it was meant to imply anything beyond perhaps 'don't get sucked in by obvious lies'. Still a shame it can be read that way though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

One of my comedy stations was playing Robin Williams stand-up today, and it aged poorly in a somewhat different manner.

Now that we know what was lurking behind that grin of his, jokes like "sorry, GPS, I'm not feeling that suicidal today" hit rather differently.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

One of my comedy stations was playing Robin Williams stand-up today, and it aged poorly in a somewhat different manner.

Now that we know what was lurking behind that grin of his, jokes like "sorry, GPS, I'm not feeling that suicidal today" hit rather differently.
If it makes it any better, his suicide wasn’t related to any issues he had going on at the time, it was because of a particularly gnarly form of dementia. His widow wrote a really interesting piece about it but hell if I can find it right now.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Googling ‘Robin Williams Lewy Body Dementia’ brought it up as the first result.

https://n.neurology.org/content/87/13/1308

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I was under the impression that he had existing depression and the dementia made it worse.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
in the arnold movie Red Heat the intro to the movie is a bathhouse full of muscular dudes with a couple naked women. you know someone on set was like "this turned out so gay, we have to add some naked boobies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9DHefH5ng

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

in the arnold movie Red Heat the intro to the movie is a bathhouse full of muscular dudes with a couple naked women. you know someone on set was like "this turned out so gay, we have to add some naked boobies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9DHefH5ng

It could also just be someone going, "Audiences like naked boobies, let's add some naked boobies"

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It could also just be someone going, "Audiences I like naked boobies, let's add some naked boobies"

Ftfy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Red Heat is a couple of production decisions away from being an 80s classic. When my friends and I watched it a few years back one of us suggested that if they had cast Eddie Murphy instead of Jim Belushi "everyone would have had that movie poster on their wall."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Most people would replace Jim with John, regardless of the latter's lack of pulse.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Never, ever found Jim to be anywhere near as funny as John. Talk about riding coat tails. And Jim was in failed tv comedies starting a couple of years after John started SNL.

He's just not funny.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

8one6 posted:

Red Heat is a couple of production decisions away from being an 80s classic. When my friends and I watched it a few years back one of us suggested that if they had cast Eddie Murphy instead of Jim Belushi "everyone would have had that movie poster on their wall."

Now I really want to see the alternate reality version of Red Heat where a decent comedian was cast opposite Arnie. Or even just someone turning in a surprisingly good performance, a la Tom Arnold in True Lies.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Gnoman posted:

Any comedian who has made a joke about suicide has probably dealt with suicidal ideation at some point

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

MrUnderbridge posted:

He's just not funny.
I guess it runs in the family

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kit Walker posted:

Any comedian who has made a joke about suicide has probably dealt with suicidal ideation at some point

Yeah, personally, I think you have to have dealt with some poo poo in order to really be a comedian.

I mean, it's the same with anything, the people who know what's up will hit differently than the people who don't when they say something or joke about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kit Walker posted:

I suspect that most of the ones who haven't made a joke about it have as well. Pagliacci is a meme, but I can't imagine it's easy having to paper over the cracks and force a smile so you can make people laugh at you when you're having a bad day.

In fact, there's another part of Watchmen that people forget (because Rorschach didn't do it) where Hollis Mason is talking about how his first boss committed suicide. The man was in the middle of a practical joke involving wearing a pair of fake foam breasts when he learned that his wife was having an affair with one of his employees, and everyone just laughed at him.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jedit posted:

I suspect that most of the ones who haven't made a joke about it have as well. Pagliacci is a meme, but I can't imagine it's easy having to paper over the cracks and force a smile so you can make people laugh at you when you're having a bad day.

In fact, there's another part of Watchmen that people forget (because Rorschach didn't do it) where Hollis Mason is talking about how his first boss committed suicide. The man was in the middle of a practical joke involving wearing a pair of fake foam breasts when he learned that his wife was having an affair with one of his employees, and everyone just laughed at him.

People also forget that because its in the found text appendices that weren't in the movie or (if I recall correctly) original issues and many people I've talked to about that series skipped them for some reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sunswipe posted:

Now I really want to see the alternate reality version of Red Heat where a decent comedian was cast opposite Arnie. Or even just someone turning in a surprisingly good performance, a la Tom Arnold in True Lies.

Tom Arnold in True Lies is still the most surprisingly successful casting in movie history.

It should not have worked.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tom Arnold in True Lies is still the most surprisingly successful casting in movie history.

It should not have worked.

True Lies is the only thing I have ever seen Tom Arnold in (apart from his cameo in the “rocket ship to the sun” Treehouse of Horror episode) and everything I hear about the man and his works have caused me to ensure I keep it that way.

EDIT: No wait, I did see Nine Months and Big Bully. I saw both those movies as a kid and hardly remember anything about either of them. Perhaps for the best.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Jul 23, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tom Arnold is the quintessential average dumb jerkoff who somehow stumbled into the entertainment industry

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

AceOfFlames posted:

True Lies is the only thing I have ever seen Tom Arnold in (apart from his cameo in the “rocket ship to the sun” Treehouse of Horror episode) and everything I hear about the man and his works have caused me to ensure I keep it that way.

EDIT: No wait, I did see Nine Months and Big Bully. I saw both those movies as a kid and hardly remember anything about either of them. Perhaps for the best.

He wasn't horrible in the first Austin Powers (which some feel aged poorly itself), he was the other man in the bathroom scene when Powers is being attacked by the Irish assassin.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

let's not forget his classic performance in Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I saw a Tom Arnold movie called "The Stupids" when I was at an age where I'd just watch anything on TV and I think it was the first time I remember ever feeling like a movie had wasted my time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I saw a Tom Arnold movie called "The Stupids" when I was at an age where I'd just watch anything on TV and I think it was the first time I remember ever feeling like a movie had wasted my time.

Same but his movie version of McHale’s Navy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
He had a long running recurring role in Roseanne as the toxic idiot that all the other characters hated but put up with because he happened to work with Dan.

8one6
May 20, 2012

fartknocker posted:

Same but his movie version of McHale’s Navy.

Hey, I liked McHale’s Navy.

No I haven't watched it in like 15 years.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

He had a long running recurring role in Roseanne as the toxic idiot that all the other characters hated but put up with because he happened to work with Dan.

The cast and crew only put up with him because he was married to Rosanne.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

When I was young and far too poor to rent or go to the movies, I went to the library and borrowed novelizations of movies. If you think you wasted your time, well I read the novelization of The Stupids.

Reading a multi-page description of a movie's song and dance number about how someone is their own grandfather.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Saint Freak posted:

When I was young and far too poor to rent or go to the movies, I went to the library and borrowed novelizations of movies. If you think you wasted your time, well I read the novelization of The Stupids.

Reading a multi-page description of a movie's song and dance number about how someone is their own grandfather.

This sound like a "let's Read" just waiting to happen.
But by someone else. You shouldn't have to suffer through a re-read.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The Stupids is certainly something. In the opposite direction you had Mom and Dad Save The World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

hawowanlawow posted:

Tom Arnold is the quintessential average dumb jerkoff who somehow stumbled into the entertainment industry

You gotta admit, he's an upgrade from Jim Belushi.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

my wife and her father love The Stupids and watch it at some family gathering with way too much beer at least once a year but i love them anyway

8one6
May 20, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Dear god. I've read some real poo poo in my life but oof.

MariusLecter posted:

... In the opposite direction you had Mom and Dad Save The World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCeD2gF9jUo

This is the only good part of the movie. It's the dumbest thing my my friends and I will still make 'Pick me up' jokes to this day.

8one6 has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jul 23, 2021

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

BioEnchanted posted:

A role now occupied by Roseanne Barr.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rascar Capac posted:

A role now occupied by Roseanne Barr.

She got killed off several years ago

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I don't know why this made me think the question, but, didn't they make an Amelia Bedelia movie way the hell back?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Henchman of Santa posted:

She got killed off several years ago

That was Roseanne Conner.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

the_steve posted:

I don't know why this made me think the question, but, didn't they make an Amelia Bedelia movie way the hell back?

Apparently Tom Hanks was trying to push through an adaptation a while ago, but nothing came of it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

8one6 posted:

Dear god. I've read some real poo poo in my life but oof.

This is the only good part of the movie. It's the dumbest thing my my friends and I will still make 'Pick me up' jokes to this day.

It's been a hot minute but I remember there being a lot more fun and stupid stuff in that movie. I love it.
"That's my planet you're about to blow up! And that's my wife! And that's... well, that's just some guy I met, but still!"
"We wear these costumes to disguise ourselves." "Wow, you really have birds this big on your planet?" "No."

I forget if it was here on this site, or maybe some other one (I-Mockery perhaps?) but I once read a description of Mom and Dad Save the World as 'the movie that the Super Mario Bros. Movie desperately wanted to be" and like... somehow, yeah. I don't know why, but that line feels right.

EDIT: Obviously Jeffrey Jones being in a film and not behind bars is something that has aged poorly, which is a shame because I always thought he was great in most things I saw him in and it sucks he has to be a monster, but yeah. Mom and Dad Save the World is gloriously stupid and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Mom and Dad Save the World had those little mushroom creatures the Dad met in a sewer that scared me as a child.