Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Thanks again everyone for all the recommendations!

The C&D Gentleman Caller is a real winner. I think it needs to dry a little more, but it's quite good. That Sutliff 79 smells AMAZING, can't wait to have that after dinner or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Thanks again everyone for all the recommendations!

The C&D Gentleman Caller is a real winner. I think it needs to dry a little more, but it's quite good. That Sutliff 79 smells AMAZING, can't wait to have that after dinner or something.

Gentleman Caller might be my favorite tobacco so far. It and Carter Hall are the two blends I've got a pound of in storage for the long haul.

Beware that 79 is from my experience probably the single most stubborn blend to keep lit. Stuff goes out constantly, don't be afraid to give it some drying time (but expect it to still go out anyways).

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

10-4, sounds like it might have some propylene glycol in the casings, so that tracks. I've been wanting to pick up a dehydrator for some shop projects, so maybe I'll do some experiments with that.

E: I just dropped the box off at the post office - sorry I had it so long, I was commuting all week!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 17, 2021

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
Finally making a pilgrimage down to the illustrious Owl Shop out here in New Haven today, so I'm here pre-bragging about it because I'm pretty excited.

Will share haul/pics when I make it back tonight or tomorrow!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

Has anyone tried the QDO 50s. I have a line on a box that’s very reasonable but I didn’t want to buy before I talked to a few people about them.

I got a box not too long ago and the couple I sampled seem to be pretty good even though they are a bit young and still ROTT.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

I got a box not too long ago and the couple I sampled seem to be pretty good even though they are a bit young and still ROTT.

The box I can get is from DEC 18 but I’m hesitant to spent almost cohiba robusto prices for something I haven’t had before.

Ophidian fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 18, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I paid $245 on special at ihav but they had a 2020 box date. I wouldn’t pay Cohiba prices for them but I don’t even think Cohiba is worth Cohiba prices.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

An occasional Cohiba is fun to mark a special occasion, but they're essentially a Cuban Davidoff - there's so much better (but different) at the same price.

This Gentleman Caller is really blowing my hair back. I've got my favorite pipe loaded in today and it's just so good. I'm trying to remember what from my childhood it reminds me of - a cologne or closet or something. It's just stupendous.

I'm really looking forward to exploring more blends like this - finding this and Semois in one month has me much more energized about pipe smoking!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Lyon posted:

I paid $245 on special at ihav but they had a 2020 box date. I wouldn’t pay Cohiba prices for them but I don’t even think Cohiba is worth Cohiba prices.

Did you buy a box of 25? This is a box of 10 and it’s 160 shipped

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

If you're that big a fan of Gentleman Caller trying ordering some Crooner next time, it's the other C&D blend with deer tongue in it. I prefer Gentleman Caller more, but Crooner is by no means bad - just a bit plainer (just cube cut burley + deer tongue) and is strong enough it makes my weak rear end start spinning.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gotta say, my cigar smoking is way down from this time last year. It's probably for the best, but I sorta miss it.

My buddy's birthday was a couple days ago, so I got us all Padron 1926 coronas. I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I feel like the 1926 might be too mellow for me. It was, of course, beautifully constructed and smoked amazingly well, and the flavors were very well integrated. The 1964 I had back in September was also really well-built, but it had just a bit more pizzazz. I think the 1926 are sort of like a really old cognac or rum or something – delicious, but designed more to be luxurious rather than interesting. It was definitely worth trying, but I'll probably go for the 1964 in the future when I want something a bit nicer than usual.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
I'm still fairly new to cigar smoking and have been buying sample packs to try different sticks and find what I like. It just occurred to me to ask, are the cigars in samplers of the same quality as what would come in a box?

The Total Wine near me has humidified 5-pack bags from a few brands like My Father, Aroma de Cuba, and Perdomo for like $30-35, which feels like a very fair price. It almost seems too good to be true for a brick and mortar, since each cigar inside I would expect to sell for a couple dollars more.

Are these sampler versions lacking somehow, or is it just the brands trying to give an easy entry point to try and build some loyalty?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Grandito posted:

I'm still fairly new to cigar smoking and have been buying sample packs to try different sticks and find what I like. It just occurred to me to ask, are the cigars in samplers of the same quality as what would come in a box?

The Total Wine near me has humidified 5-pack bags from a few brands like My Father, Aroma de Cuba, and Perdomo for like $30-35, which feels like a very fair price. It almost seems too good to be true for a brick and mortar, since each cigar inside I would expect to sell for a couple dollars more.

Are these sampler versions lacking somehow, or is it just the brands trying to give an easy entry point to try and build some loyalty?

I have had FANTASTIC luck with buying those fresh pack sampler bags. Actually in the examples I can think of the cigars I smoked from fresh packs were better than the same cigars from a box. So yeah- those are great and are usually a pretty decent deal. Nexein used to grab em all the time cause he worked right near a Total Wine, so we're very familiar with their selection.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!

Grandito posted:

Or is it just the brands trying to give an easy entry point to try and build some loyalty?

It’s pretty much this.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Grandito posted:

Sampler packs from manufacturers are probably gonna be comparable to sticks from boxes. The sampler packs from the big online retailers may be good, but they're also a way to move product that's been sitting around for a while. In principle this should be fine if they were stored well, but I've gotten some unforgivably dry cigars from Cigars International/Cigar Bid. By contrast Famous Smoke/Cigar Auctioneer seems to be better over all on humidification, so I might trust their samplers more.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had a La Aurora Preferidos Emerald double Perfecto last night that was fantastic. Probably the best balanced between spice and creamy I've had of the bunch. Definitely recommend if you're having a time where you're not sure what you're after.

For those who have had Sutliff 79, did that stick around in your pipe with flavor? I want to make sure if it does that I might grab a cob for it.

Also, the box should be getting to its next destination if it hasn't already, I wish I had written down the tracking number.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The tracking is showing it was delivered a couple days ago. I'll pm zuffenphile to make sure he got it, since he was next on the list.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

For those who have had Sutliff 79, did that stick around in your pipe with flavor? I want to make sure if it does that I might grab a cob for it.

I find all aromatics stick around to some degree, but Sutliff 79 doesn't seem any worse than usual for it. Maybe don't use it in your favorite pipe, but it's not like deer tongue or lakeland blends that'll ghost something instantly.

I should say I do smoke all my aromatics out of cobs though, my only briar pipe is reserved for nicer tobacco.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Good to know! I did put Gentleman Caller in every pipe I love on my rotation, but I haven't noticed it substantially changing anything. Could be that I just need to be bonked by flavors pretty good to notice them :v

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
pulled another Master Blends 3 torpedo out of the cooler after... 6 years?

smoked great, middle third OUTSTANDING, they really know how to make cigars

helped that it was the actual first nice day out in forever here.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had some Sutliff 79 at last today - a super slow burner, but enjoyable. The anisette is not very strong, but I'm an unabashed Malört lover.

Having the Davidoff Millennium Robusto from the last pass and some nicer whiskey tonight to treat myself for the weekend. !

Hope y'all are having a good one!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I have a few boxes showing up tomorrow which is great (2019 RG Panatelas extra, 2020 partagas corona especialies, 2020 mag 46, 5x 2020 PL galnes)

I’ve been smoking a lot of different sticks over the past few weeks:
2020 epi 1 - I’ve had two from the 3x5 I got a few weeks ago and they are smoking great already
2020 punch coronations tubos - I can’t stop smoking these. They are a great, stronger PC with a very different flavor profile than I’m used to with most CCs
2019 mag 46 - my other go to stick. I’ve burned through a lot which is why I bought another box. I still consider these the best CC right now and I’ll probably buy another box before the year is out.
2019 RA Gigantes - I think other than the RAS, it’s the best regular production RA out there right now.
2004? Montecristo A - probably the best montecristo I’ve ever had other than the sublime.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NewFatMike posted:

I'm an unabashed Malört lover.

You are a man if taste and distinction.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Any word on where the box is at?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Maksimus54 posted:

Any word on where the box is at?

zuffenphile should be getting it next but he hasn't posted since mid june... hope everything is cool

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I pm'd zuffenphile a few days ago and haven't heard back. I'll hit him back up and see if something went wrong. I'm hoping it's just life being busy, rather than something having gone wrong.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeesh, I hope he's ok.

Getting a fair shipment of sticks in tomorrow - I'm gonna be out of town for a few weeks, so we're topping off the humidor. I'm really excited for the L'Atelier La Mission 1959 coming in - it's CA's #4 this year.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I ordered a few Mag 50s, a box of boli RC and a box of Trinidad coloniales which should be here Monday.

I need a bigger cooler

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
I haven't bought cigars in a concerning amount of time and I'm jonesing

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Couldn't remember the flavor profile, bit I remember I loved the Tatuaje Black Label corona gorda. Picked one up and it was leather for days. They're absolutely box worthy if you like sucking on an old basemall mitt!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i guess this is only cigar adjacent but do those weird rear end hunter s thompson external cigarette filters actually do anything or are they just for show

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Yeesh, I hope he's ok.

Getting a fair shipment of sticks in tomorrow - I'm gonna be out of town for a few weeks, so we're topping off the humidor. I'm really excited for the L'Atelier La Mission 1959 coming in - it's CA's #4 this year.

I heard from zuffenphile! He was on a no-electronics vacation. The box got put into his humidor, and he's gonna send it off on Monday. The box continues.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

hbag posted:

i guess this is only cigar adjacent but do those weird rear end hunter s thompson external cigarette filters actually do anything or are they just for show

depends on the type, but sometimes they have an extra little filter inside. Some of them are just holders. a cigarette holder is a fuckin MOOOOD and very quickly identifies you to strangers as dangerously insane. I dig it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Long holders or filters will generally cool the smoke down, which has an appreciable effect on the experience.

The only type of filter that might have a statistical impact on health effects would be activated carbon filters, but not likely by much.

Had a La Mission 1959 ROTT and it was extremely good. That San Andres wrapper has the extra bit to just really push them over the edge. Holy moly can't wait to see how it is in a week!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Correct on the cooling - cigarette holders function in the same way a s a churchwarden pipe as far as cooling. However, this is not the intended purpose. Cigarette holders were originally designed and intended to avoid staining one's gloves or hands while smoking, either from tar seepage (this was more of a thing before filter cigarettes were invented) or from simply the smell. Nobody wanted their fancy white gloves to look and smell like an ashtray.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"
^ This is exactly how I dress when I smoke my cigars out on the veranda.

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
Hello all,

First my apologies for the delay sending the box…..I was on vacation. The box will be shipped tomorrow and i have taken 3 and added 5. I broke into my vintage stuff, 2003 Montecristo “C” LE, 2010 Montecristo Grand Edmundo LE, and a Montecristo 80 Annevisario. I have also included a late 80’s Diplamatico and one more Cohiba Talisman.

Smoke ‘em in good health!

Take:

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

zuffenphile posted:

Hello all,

First my apologies for the delay sending the box…..I was on vacation. The box will be shipped tomorrow and i have taken 3 and added 5. I broke into my vintage stuff, 2003 Montecristo “C” LE, 2010 Montecristo Grand Edmundo LE, and a Montecristo 80 Annevisario. I have also included a late 80’s Diplamatico and one more Cohiba Talisman.

Take:

Give:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

zuffenphile posted:

Hello all,

Take:

Daaaaaamn!

Also- we missed ya buddy! Hope your break from internetty things was a good un

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Fuuuuuck that diplo hits me right in the envious muscle.