Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

There are no positive characters, that’s why it’s not gonna happen.

Not saying that Dune has positive characters - but at least superficially there are “heroes”

Yeah, I don’t know. I think post-Sopranos media has conditioned audiences to be very receptive to antiheroes and a degree of bathos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Try to conceptualize the level of genocide in a Hollywood movie and everyone being ok with it basically and wanting more, but a bit different this time.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I know nothing about Dune but man I look forward to it. It just looks amazing, beautiful and epic

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Well, I will say that I'm still not convinced about Timothée Chalamet as Paul. Like, I don't get any charisma from his character in the trailer and he's supposed to be this incredible leader of men.
I love the casting of pretty much everyone else, though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've never really thought of Paul as an incredible leader of men, I think Chalamet nails it personally.

Filming the second movie a few years later will age him up in a way the Lynch movie and mini series never could. I like it. Here's hoping he gets taller though

edit: loving yikes that kid is 25? I guess 5'10 is...it.

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

kiimo posted:

I've never really thought of Paul as an incredible leader of men, I think Chalamet nails it personally.

Filming the second movie a few years later will age him up in a way the Lynch movie and mini series never could. I like it. Here's hoping he gets taller though

I found myself trying to imagine what Chalamet will look like when he's in his 40s and I just couldn't imagine it. Dude has an exceptionally young look to him.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I'm not the hugest Chalamaet fan and I'm not making comparisons but it doesn't seem to hurt Sly, Cruise or Walburg

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jewmanji posted:

Are you saying that because Dune will never be successful enough to merit another sequel, or because of the content in the book? I mean I’m not so delusional to expert to ever see it myself, but the book itself seems extremely adaptable. And it’s like half the length of Dune! And we’ve got Andy Serkis just licking his chops at the prospect of playing Bijaz.

Because even though it's a shorter book it's rather complex and also a huge teardown of the Atreides myth that's been built up until then, and would require completely different production design, and prolly Villaneueve won't be around to grease the gears out of personal passion.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dillbag posted:

I'm not the hugest Chalamaet fan and I'm not making comparisons but it doesn't seem to hurt Sly, Cruise or Walburg

Tom Cruise is also 5'7". Chalamet will do just fine at 5'10". Let's not pretend that's all that short.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I typed that post thinking he was like 17 and 5'5 and then looked it up and he's 25 and 5'10 that's fine get him in the weight room or something

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jacked Timmy chal scares me

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Next movie Tim removes the slender stillsuit to reveal a body more imposing and mismatched than the barrel like monstrosity Adam Driver turned into for one of the new SW films.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Next movie Tim removes the slender stillsuit to reveal a body more imposing and mismatched than the barrel like monstrosity Adam Driver turned into for one of the new SW films.

He's gonna look exactly like that jacked 8 year old from a few years ago. And just as unnerving.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Well, I will say that I'm still not convinced about Timothée Chalamet as Paul. Like, I don't get any charisma from his character in the trailer and he's supposed to be this incredible leader of men.
I love the casting of pretty much everyone else, though.

Kind of the point of Dune is that Paul isn't anything special on his own, it's everyone around him that makes him a great leader. The casting makes sense if you've seen The King which is actually a very similar dynamic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In the little bit of the book I read it says Paul is a small skinny boy who doesn’t wear deodorant.

Which is why he needs to get the old spice

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Any man under 200cm tall is going to look like a child to the majority of the world

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and prolly Villaneueve won't be around to grease the gears out of personal passion.

He's directing the first episode of the HBO Dune prequel show which just got a new showrunner, so I'd say he's pot-committed at this point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

He's directing the first episode of the HBO Dune prequel show which just got a new showrunner, so I'd say he's pot-committed at this point.

I know he was in on that obligation because of @duneauthor, but last I heard that poo poo was put way on the back burner

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know he was in on that obligation because of @duneauthor, but last I heard that poo poo was put way on the back burner

HBO is probably prioritizing the 8 billion GoT spin-offs shows they have.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A new showrunner was announced today.

I'm guessing box office is actually tracking a bit better than expected based on recent post-pandemic releases and a lack of serious competition. Though I may eat those words when it crashes and burns.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Any man under 200cm tall is going to look like a child to the majority of the world

The gently caress? You do realize that the average male height in China and India are less than 175 cm, right?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Yeah OK, resident of The Land of the Giants.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:thejoke:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Kind of the point of Dune is that Paul isn't anything special on his own, it's everyone around him that makes him a great leader.

Uhhh Paul was supposed to be like a generation off from being the Kwisatz Haderach, he was the end product or thousands of years of breeding. He was special from the get go, they were just off by a generation and didn’t account for spice. Like literally the book opens with Mohiam paying him a visit because they suspect the worst

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 23, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Driver always looked like that. I remember the first time he appeared on Girls and he was a massive freak. I was actually shocked when he became a bankable leading man .

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Pretty skeptical with DUNC apparently removing all traces of Islamic culture and aesthetics. They've made all the costumes super bland and, in the trailers at least, replaced every instance of the word jihad with "crusade". Muslims in Space is one of the big things that makes the book so unique and interesting so it's disheartening that they apparently threw it all out. Like it would have been the perfect opportunity to get a bunch of actors of Middle Eastern descent some exposure. Like when's the last time you saw a big Blockbuster have an Arab or Iranian etc. actor (whose heritage wasn't hidden by the movie) in a front and center role that wasn't "terrorist leader" or similar?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

galagazombie posted:

Pretty skeptical with DUNC apparently removing all traces of Islamic culture and aesthetics. They've made all the costumes super bland and, in the trailers at least, replaced every instance of the word jihad with "crusade". Muslims in Space is one of the big things that makes the book so unique and interesting so it's disheartening that they apparently threw it all out. Like it would have been the perfect opportunity to get a bunch of actors of Middle Eastern descent some exposure. Like when's the last time you saw a big Blockbuster have an Arab or Iranian etc. actor (whose heritage wasn't hidden by the movie) in a front and center role that wasn't "terrorist leader" or similar?

try again

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

galagazombie posted:

Like when's the last time you saw a big Blockbuster have an Arab or Iranian etc. actor (whose heritage wasn't hidden by the movie) in a front and center role that wasn't "terrorist leader" or similar?

I've got not so great news for you about the Fremen's entire deal.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 23, 2021

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

galagazombie posted:

The casting is unfortunate but I would give Villeneuve the benefit of the doubt. It’s a single instance of the word crusade, which does appear in the book, and we’re talking about marketing at the moment. Go see Incendies if you haven’t, that might give you cause for optimism

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Rami Malek is doing OK tbh.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Riz Ahmed enters the chat

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MLSM posted:

Looks like a major step down from Blade Runner 2049. The fact that they only filmed half the book just might be a blessing in disguise.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1418331024166109189

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The global mean height of adult men born in 1996 is 171 cm

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's my own drat fault for watching too many movies but I can't deal with these productions where literally every member of the main cast is a familiar face

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Centimeters are really small right, that's like three feet? Yeah, I get it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vegetable posted:

It's my own drat fault for watching too many movies but I can't deal with these productions where literally every member of the main cast is a familiar face

I think for a story like this it's possibly the only way ityool 2021 to get butts in seats

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

galagazombie posted:

This is a bad take for multiple reasons

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah but lol at the people who think naming rami malek or riz ahmed in any way takes away from the still very true take about middle eastern actors

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Aladdin made a billion dollars. Also its lead actor hasn't gotten any notable work since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am sure middle Eastern actors star in middle Eastern movies and TV shows. I'm not 100% sure what you trying to say here? Because America is the global hegemon then its fantasy must be representative of everyone?