Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Bonus, people misattributing their inability to adapt as cheap bullshit and getting tilted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

An I-no not blocking low a braindead I-no.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Gotta be worried about that 20 frame overhead

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

exquisite tea posted:

Generally, in any competitive situation you shouldn’t change your strategy when you’re winning. If you’ve bopped them low three times in a row don’t go high on the fourth, just keep doing that until they adjust. Don’t try to be fancy and make some galaxy brain read, just fukken keep hitting them with the good poo poo!

It depends on how much you respect your opponent.
There's a big difference between a dork who doesn't know to block low versus a dork who's thinking "there's no way they're gonna meaty sweep a third time in a row, I'm gonna jump this incoming grab!"'

Folks from category #2 will usually adapt sooner or later.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yithian posted:

Why would I block when I can push a button instead???

People love pushing button because pushing button can carry you a long way when other people you play against have a hard time dealing with push button.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It depends on how much you respect your opponent.
There's a big difference between a dork who doesn't know to block low versus a dork who's thinking "there's no way they're gonna meaty sweep a third time in a row, I'm gonna jump this incoming grab!"'

Folks from category #2 will usually adapt sooner or later.

Joke’s on them, I will never respect my opponent.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Goddamn, this video.

https://youtu.be/ghWxn34BKHE

I'm watching this on half-speed trying to understand what Giovanna is doing.

Apparently she does use fS and 5H in her blockstrings, so I might still want to consider them as components.

She also relies heavily on 214K. :allears: Glad it's not just me who instinctively does that!

If she does end a chain with 214K, then she immediately does a Dragon Punch (the round kick). Interesting. I wouldn't have pegged Sol Nascente as something to go into from 214K, though I can't explain why. Important to note is that 214K was blocked when she DPs, at least the first time it happens.

She seems to like baiting Nago out, especially when he's moving out from the corner.

She clearly knows the Nago matchup well, in fact. Better than I do - has a really good idea what he'll do next, how his actions resolve, etc.

God, Nago is loving disgusting, though. If he gets even one hit in, say goodbye to your health bar. And he has a shitload of health, so you gotta succeed five times to his one.

Gio uses an RRC into a charged Dust on a blocking Nago around 0:45, good idea.

She has good mixup between high and low blockstrings. She strings 5K into 2D, fS into 5H, 2S into 5H, cS into 2S into 5H, 2K into 214K (which to be fair, 2K does hit)

She also approaches with an airdashed jK. She doesn't approach much with fS, if at all - she's more likely to use 5H for that.

Gio pretty much dies horribly once Nago gets her into a corner. I feel that poo poo. If you're in the corner and you're facing a Nago, you might as well forfeit. :shepicide:

Jesus christ, though. 2:17, Nago has her in the corner, she does a 2P for a mutual Counter, then immediately follows that up with a 5H into 215K.

Fascinating poo poo. I feel like I need to study this video like a 12th-century monk.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Me, reading the above: Fighting game is something so great.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
214k into immediate 623s is a cheesy trap that works because of 623s's upper body invulnerability. At the range 214k pushes you back out, most characters' moves that can take advantage of the -4 that 214k leaves Gio at don't hit low enough to counter hit 623s.

I've started doing something similar with May after noticing that a lot of Gio players I play against really like to do 5HS after I end a combo with slash horizontal dolphin. Even though I'm -2 on hit, 6P still wins against 5HS at the range that I end the combo at usually.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nago is less bad than most corner pressure people, his Neat Trick is he can wallbreak from round start position which means you dont have to worry about being in the corner or not, nago will kill you anyways :v:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
e: I’m an idiot.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 23, 2021

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So the Giovanna offense/blockstring talk came to mind because this video just popped across my recommendations so this goes out to Pollyanna as useful advice, but also anyone. (Sajam makes good informative videos sometimes highly recommend) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjo2GjAK8Nw

Like it's real good for anyone getting into this game or fighting games in general talking through the general thought process of attack strings and it has information specific to Gio but it can apply to a lot of stuff.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 22, 2021

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

unimportantguy posted:

Remember how I said people don't block low? Yeah uh people really don't block low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePsAYFgw64
This was the final match of 3 sets, in which I'd been doing this constantly. On Floor 9.

yeah imagine losing to that same Ino (fl 9 west coast) after she flubs 2 supers because you're a dumb ape who never blocks.... couldn't be me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPD2rGwqLSM

although I looked at the 3 game set we played and that Ino isn't a terrible player, she knows how to block and change it up (or at least how to do it against Leo). I honestly think you caught her thinking "there's no way he's gonna hit me with that low again" - and the one time she actually ducks (~50 secs in) you hit her w/ the charged dust combo lmao.

fortocero fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 22, 2021

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

you must give up playing this hole

fortocero posted:

yeah imagine losing to that same Ino (fl 9 west coast) after she flubs 2 supers because you're a dumb ape who never blocks.... couldn't be me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPD2rGwqLSM

although I looked at the 3 game set we played and that Ino isn't a terrible player, she knows how to block and change it up (or at least how to do it against Leo). I honestly think you caught her thinking "there's no way he's gonna hit me with that low again" - and the one time she actually ducks (~50 secs in) you hit her w/ the charged dust combo lmao.

Those don't really look like flubbed supers, I-No's air super is massively plus (+37 according to dustloop) so it's not a bad idea to do even just as a poke if you can spare the meter. It works well against hard-to-contest buttons, if it's blocked it gives you your turn, and it's hard to punish on whiff. Their decisionmaking on when to use it could be better though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Pollyanna posted:

Gio pretty much dies horribly once Nago gets her into a corner. I feel that poo poo. If you're in the corner and you're facing a Nago, you might as well forfeit. :shepicide:

Funny you should say that, I feel pretty much the same way the other way around! If it helps, Nago's combos don't care much about the corner, it all converts off of almost any normal as long as you have the blood gauge for all your specials. :v:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah that I-No wasn't bad otherwise, knew how to use their pressure tools and mixup, but the set was 7-2 in my favor because they just would not block my 3K ever.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 22, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

3K is very unsafe on block so it's simply illogical that may would frequently use it outside of a combo. surely they'll realize this soon.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

on the dustloop wiki everyone's super has startup frames listed as x+y where x is pre-freeze and y is post-freeze startup. EXCEPT nagoriyuki, who has a third number. e.g. 7+173+2. wtf is that 173, the time during the freeze? first off who cares about that, second that's almost three seconds so i'm not sure it's even right about that. i'm going to edit that out and see if anyone minds

edit: nvm i have to get an account to edit and i have to join a discord to get an account. maybe later.

edit2: i checked a video and the freeze really is that long, drat.

big deal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 22, 2021

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Pollyanna posted:

Like I swear I could code a better lobby system. I wouldn't, but I could.

I think the latency for getting an R-Code is the saddest part of it all.

Going to the main menu apparently requires dozens of slow sequential ajax requests to really servers in Japan. If you play in JP the performance is much better.

There's a project that acts as a proxy and caches the requests: https://github.com/tsaibermelon/gg-struggle.

It definitely speeds stuff up, and there are useful features - e.g. I can watch the log and know if my floor changed in case the dlg for floor switch doesn't come up.

But the game lobby is buggy enough that it's difficult to tell if using this would introduce problems. It definitely speeds up stuff like switching between lobbies, but can't guarantee that it won't gently caress your poo poo up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Yeah, what's up with the floor thing anyway? I was playing the other day and only realized I'd ranked up because my badge said 8 instead of 7 suddenly. Then after some losses it went back to 7 and matchmaking just stopped working. I wonder if it's just certain regions that are constantly lovely like this (entirely besides the latency-to-Japan issue). Do the regions actually have regional servers or is that just a way of grouping people who hopefully have low ping times between each other together?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Yeah, what's up with the floor thing anyway? I was playing the other day and only realized I'd ranked up because my badge said 8 instead of 7 suddenly. Then after some losses it went back to 7 and matchmaking just stopped working. I wonder if it's just certain regions that are constantly lovely like this (entirely besides the latency-to-Japan issue). Do the regions actually have regional servers or is that just a way of grouping people who hopefully have low ping times between each other together?

The regions are actual regions, the floors are your rank and joining a floor is queuing in ranked mode while the park is unranked. Since you can always jump to a higher floor to play if you want, the ranks are more so you can't go bully bad/new players if you are good enough at the game to win.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Sure, what I mean is, the game has a tendency to bug out when it wants to change your floor assignment sometimes and never lets you know about it. So you can start training matchmaking on floor 7, rank up in the middle of a set, and the game just won't tell you. It's unclear to me whether you're still matching against other floor 7 players or if it just silently puts you in floor 8 when that happens.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Sure, what I mean is, the game has a tendency to bug out when it wants to change your floor assignment sometimes and never lets you know about it. So you can start training matchmaking on floor 7, rank up in the middle of a set, and the game just won't tell you. It's unclear to me whether you're still matching against other floor 7 players or if it just silently puts you in floor 8 when that happens.

That's just the lobby system being a piece of poo poo. I went to floor 4 once while still new to the game and fought the same Ky all the way back up to Floor 6 because apparently if you rank up at the same time you hit the rematch limit, it misses the dialogue that normally shows up to force you to move floors and I didn't notice until I hit Floor 6 because I turned off that badge and never lost a set to boot me off the station.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

One time the game forgot to kick me out of the Celestial floor after I lost the challenge. I wasn't able to match against anybody, unfortunately, but it was kind funny.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Just Andi Now posted:

One time the game forgot to kick me out of the Celestial floor after I lost the challenge. I wasn't able to match against anybody, unfortunately, but it was kind funny.

That happens fairly often honestly. It's happened to me. Hell, I've kicked people out of Celestial and then went ahead and played another set with them because they were still there.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i played a nago for like 15 matches after i lost my celestial thing and lost 2 levels but i learned a shitload from fighting him so it was worth it

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://twitter.com/tangusu10__/status/1417843981677854722

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I don't know why but I went to the park and just beat on the same i-no for like an hour. I lost like one game the entire time. I mean, I guess always valued when a better player was willing to just grind my face in the dirt for a long time so I can try to learn and I guess I'm paying it forward???

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Going to the main menu apparently requires dozens of slow sequential ajax requests to really servers in Japan. If you play in JP the performance is much better.

There's a project that acts as a proxy and caches the requests: https://github.com/tsaibermelon/gg-struggle.

It definitely speeds stuff up, and there are useful features - e.g. I can watch the log and know if my floor changed in case the dlg for floor switch doesn't come up.

But the game lobby is buggy enough that it's difficult to tell if using this would introduce problems. It definitely speeds up stuff like switching between lobbies, but can't guarantee that it won't gently caress your poo poo up.

a friend said this when i talked about this:

anyone know if this one is different or fixed or better or whatever. i dont know crap about ssl

how is that safe from wakeup throw but still blocks dp? out of throw range?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Out of range on start up if you're mashing throw, but I don't see why you couldn't just hold a dash button and throw Anji when you get in contact. edit: Could also probably just hit him on recovery if you know the timing. Will catch people mashing though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

b_d posted:

a friend said this when i talked about this:

anyone know if this one is different or fixed or better or whatever. i dont know crap about ssl

It appears to be fixed as of this commit.

Basically the old version of it used a hard-coded self-signed ssl cert which was shared between all installs of the tool, which was a security hole.
Now it uses some windows guff to generate a new private secure one for your machine only when it installs.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

fortocero posted:

Hell yeah I-no talk. Speaking of I-no… I got completely loving destroyed going online with her last night. I got knocked to floor 7, squeaked back into 8 by the end of the night, and frankly I don’t know how I managed the return when it felt like I was losing way more than winning the entire time.

There was definitely salt, since most my night was spent being proven the inferior blender by Milia and Gio players, but it also made me realize that I’m really, genuinely enjoying this game. More than any fighter in a long time. Even while being destroyed, it always felt like the problem wasn’t just the enemy bullshit, but my stupid loving brain failing to parse that bullshit, over and over again. Even as I-no, I can’t say I don’t have options or solutions to anything the game throws at me. I’m just not using them properly.

I guess what i’m trying to say is the reason Hace managed a double perfect on me isn’t because i’m playing I-no. It’s because i’m a mediocre piece of trash who happens to be playing I-no. After a tough night like that, the fact that I can recognize where some of my failings are and see the road to improvement is a good feel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

As a non ino player up against ino, i feel like her mix up game is not as frighting as other rushdown characters and much more react-able when blocking

Like stbt is so much slower than hair car or stun dipper and her overheads are usually easier to see cause she dashes first to get airborn

But i probably havent seen a great ino yet

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 23, 2021

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Glagha posted:

I don't know why but I went to the park and just beat on the same i-no for like an hour. I lost like one game the entire time. I mean, I guess always valued when a better player was willing to just grind my face in the dirt for a long time so I can try to learn and I guess I'm paying it forward???

Yep, gotta it pay it forward. Give thanks to the folks who let you go 0-10 against em.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Real hurthling! posted:

As a non ino player up against ino, i feel like her mix up game is not as frighting as other rushdown characters and much more react-able when blocking

Like stbt is so much slower than hair car or stun dipper and her overheads are usually easier to see cause she dashes first to get airborn

But i probably havent seen a great ino yet

I’m definitely feeling this. It feels really rough because, even if I happen to get that hit, i’m struggling to convert it into anything substantial. I can get damage from the corner, but random confirms don’t seem to do poo poo for me. I’m straight up jealous of all the Milia’s hitting me from midscreen wherever and easily turning it into a wallbreak combo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also stbt leaves ino in easy punish range while hair car and other moves in the game pop you back from like sol's 5k range on block

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It appears to be fixed as of this commit.

Basically the old version of it used a hard-coded self-signed ssl cert which was shared between all installs of the tool, which was a security hole.
Now it uses some windows guff to generate a new private secure one for your machine only when it installs.

not sure i should trust code from someone who doesn't use semicolons in their javascript. :cheeky:

poe meater posted:

Yep, gotta it pay it forward. Give thanks to the folks who let you go 0-10 against em.

my natural reaction is to feel bad for the opponent in this situation but i should know better since it's their choice to keep rematching.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
As some one who has gone 0-10 against a friend's Ramlethal, gently caress you I didn't tell you to switch characters hit the button.

If some one's rematching you that much they're probably happy for the opportunity to figure stuff out in a live scenario.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
So this game has been out for a while and I keep seeing players at floor 10 who don't have a single brain cell that just do the same two buttons in neutral and the same confirm combo over and over and over and over. I'm not super good or anything but please get good at actual neutral and poo poo everyone so that these people can go back into the dumpster and learn how to actually play against an opponent so that matchmaking will get more fun in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I'm trying to do my part but I keep running into people who are actually good on floor 10 instead of my fellow braindead morons, who are all on 8 and 9.