Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

What game does this?

Battlefield 1 which is right now free on amazon prime gaming makes you hold down the spacebar for like 2 or 3 whole seconds if you want to look at the map and pick a respawn point while waiting to respawn, so you can get back to playing as soon as possible. Otherwise you spend your whole respawn timer looking at your ragdolled corpse with a greyscale filter and don't get to see the map until the timer is up (so you delay your spawn the whole time you're choosing where to go).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Vic posted:

So you're saying for a herb it's a tap and a corpse is a hold?

Yup. But there's only ever one 'in focus' at a time: if there's a herb and a corpse on top of one another and the "press/hold E to..." text mentions one of them, doing the other action doesn't prioritise the other pickup.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 23, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

And sometimes you'll break a bunch of loose parts off of an enemy and they'll be scattered all around their body, and the loose parts require a tap to pick up while the body requires a hold to loot, so to fully loot a bunch of enemies it's like you're playing some weird hosed up guitar hero sequence of taps and holds.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Breetai posted:

Yup. But there's only ever one 'in focus' at a time: if there's a herb and a corpse on top of one another and the "press/hold E to..." text mentions one of them, doing the other action doesn't prioritise the other pickup.

Does a menu pop up when you're looting a corpse?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Vic posted:

Does a menu pop up when you're looting a corpse?

After the completion of the full second of holding the button that could just as easily be a tap followed by a second of looting animation, yes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Breetai posted:

After the completion of the full second of holding the button that could just as easily be a tap followed by a second of looting animation, yes.

Does the time stop during corpse looting?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Resistance Fall of Man had some of the most satisfying grenades in all FPSdom. the airfuel and backlash are neat and fun to use, the hedgehog is sublime, and even the bog standard frags feel great.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Vic posted:

Does the time stop during corpse looting?

This conversation feels more like a button hold than a button press.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was gonna just post about resistance. Even the shield grenade was cool.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Breetai posted:

This conversation feels more like a button hold than a button press.

Now you get it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Gaius Marius posted:

I was gonna just post about resistance. Even the shield grenade was cool.

:hai:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The HZD thing sounds like a (clumsy, maybe) attempt to stop you from accidentally opening a loot menu in the middle of combat.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

The HZD thing sounds like a (clumsy, maybe) attempt to stop you from accidentally opening a loot menu in the middle of combat.

I don't think there's any reason to use that button during combat so that doesn't seem like a likely problem. I think it's more like a watered-down version of the super involved skinning animations in RDR2 - you're "stripping a machine for parts" so it's supposed to feel like it's more of an involved process than just picking up an object. Except that it's an action that you're probably going to perform many hundreds of times over the course of the game so it just turns into a little tedious headache.

You also have to hold a button in the merchant UI to sell items, which also might seem like it's to prevent accidental mistakes - except they also added a buyback menu that fixes that problem in a less annoying way :shrug:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Breetai posted:

Hi everyone I'm fuckstick McGee and I'm here to tell you why making you hold down a button to perform an action is more engaging than just tapping it.

Why no, there is no other function assigned to that button that requires a contextual difference between tapping and holding down. We just prefer it that way!

As an extension of this: overloading controls. While Breetai's example above is unforgivable, the logic that led to it have a few other abominations. Context-sensitive controls, ie "press X to interact?" loving annoying as heck, but I understand it's needed on consoles. Suddenly the same control can have wildly different results based on what the game is guessing that you want to do. Witcher3 had ongoing jokes about accidentally lighting candles with magic when trying to pick up items. Shadow of War had the spacebar do literally 4-5 different combat commands, so the game didn't know if you wanted to jump, run, or climb on a table during the middle of a fight.

The worst example of overloaded buttons I've come across is Deep Rock Galactic; there are optionally-equipped special abilities that share a button with normal stuff. So when falling to your death, you can press and hold a mundane action to see if your hoverboots activate before hitting the ground. No way to rebind this. This also segues into another complaint: There really shouldn't be a 'hold button' on PC at all, ever. Well, other than for on-hold commands like running/walking, but you get the point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Play posted:

The combat for that new Amazon MMO is honestly kind of hilarious to watch. Although I guess that applies to a lot of MMOs, sometimes it doesn't even look like any fight is happening at all. And even if they manage to convey that a fight is happening it usually just looks like crap

The Amazon MMO sounds like it was designed to be some open PVP, full looting Shadowbane type thing, but then they realized that the only people who actually want that are a few hundred guys in their 40s who post too much on MMO forums. So then they scrambled to add a bunch of uninteresting PVE to their game that had been designed from the ground up for PVP. Also the beta is bricking people's 3090s lol.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Triarii posted:

You also have to hold a button in the merchant UI to sell items, which also might seem like it's to prevent accidental mistakes - except they also added a buyback menu that fixes that problem in a less annoying way :shrug:

The mark as junk and sell all junk button in hzd was patched in at some point because they didn't have that at launch iirc

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Space Kablooey posted:

The mark as junk and sell all junk button in hzd was patched in at some point because they didn't have that at launch iirc

And yet they still don't have a "sell all items that are only saleable with no other functionality" button.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

What game does this?

Hitman

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All of you apparently love crafting, judging from how you lovingly crafted all of these shitposts

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
welcome to gbs videogame thread do you like turok or morrowind

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

welcome to gbs videogame thread do you like turok or morrowind

I played too much of the Turok game that was multiplayer only on the nintendo 64.

I also thought Turok 3 was a lot of fun.

My memories of Morrownd are going over to a friend's house and hanging out while he sold items for 45 mins. Just teleporting back and forth selling poo poo from the same locarion.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

morrowind sucks may as well be called buttwind

in turok I think you fight a dinosaur, and you're a russian peasant so throw turnips at it. At the end of the game you beat a big frog and it turns out that the whole game was a dream

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

morrowind sucks may as well be called buttwind

Weak rear end trolling!!!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Morrowind, except using Turok controls and weapon systems. Unleash dinosaurs on to smarmy elf pricks and then snipe them. I'd play that fuckin game. Turrowind.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

weapon durability is one of the only things BoTW did right

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Turok 1 and 2 Remastered are both such drat good remasters that they feel like new games. they are easily some of the best shooters I've played in the last 10 years.

Morrowind is good too but it'a not a Turok game and thats a huge knock against it imo

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
im so happy you guys like the new turok remasters because I think they're incredibly loving good and fun. I love going fast and shooting lots of guys. and i love the crazy drums in turok 1

morrowind is the best game of all time though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

weapon durability is one of the only things BoTW did right

Weapon durability as a mechanic is ok but they have to realize that it makes every weapon a consumable, and they need to have some kind of actual non-consumable reward to put in treasure chests if they want me to care about them.

Going through some puzzle or exploration challenge or optional enemy camp in an RPG just to find a crate of consumable potions instead of a 'real' reward sucks. And BoTW's weapons are basically just a crate of potions.

They should've made more armor sets with neat effects or something to scatter though all the chests around the world.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yes, I agree that the game is unsatisfying and bad overall. Weapon durability was clever though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Final fantasy 14 is both a bad mmo and a bad final fantasy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

In Hitman it seems more designed so there's an opportunity cost for actions but you can abort them if someone starts to spot you doing them rather than be locked into an animation.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Meme Poker Party posted:

Seems dumb, imo.

But maybe I just don't get Diablo-likes.

No it is dumb. Diablo was slow as gently caress, you couldn't even run and it had almost no AoE. Diablo 2 ramped it up a lot by adding running and more AoE but it was still constrained compared to PoE or even D3.

Diablo-likes started out all Demons Souls and ended up all Dynasty Warriors.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phigs posted:

No it is dumb. Diablo was slow as gently caress, you couldn't even run and it had almost no AoE. Diablo 2 ramped it up a lot by adding running and more AoE but it was still constrained compared to PoE or even D3.

Diablo-likes started out all Demons Souls and ended up all Dynasty Warriors.

i wish someone would make a Dynasty Warriors with the all the complex character systems of Path of Exile

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Meme Poker Party posted:

Weak rear end trolling!!!

Your opinion on this particular game is not trustworthy

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Thats Hul shes cool

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

flavor.flv posted:

Your opinion on this particular game is not trustworthy

Would you trust the gaming opinion of someone who says they don't like argonians?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Meme Poker Party posted:

Would you trust the gaming opinion of someone who says they don't like argonians?

Ok Crassius

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Polish my spear, you s'witman.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Cat and lizard people suck since they can't wear boots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

Cat and lizard people suck since they can't wear boots!

not needing expensive boots sounds superior to me