Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timby posted:

I just have this horrible gut feeling that its second-weekend box office will tank and we'll never see the second part.

Honestly, yes, that's the most likely outcome. I've made peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Idk I think people in this thread are seriously underestimating the pent up demand for movies post pandemic (yes I know its not actually post, you know what I mean). Pretty much every big movie released this year aside from real dogshit like in the heights or cruella has been raking in money.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jason Momoa is perfectly cast. He's like the human equivalent of a Bernard Sheppard: Strong, big, beautiful, majestic, goofy, dangerous, lovable, terrifying, cute.

He gives Paul strength and heart by association and proximity without weakening him.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 23, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Jewmanji posted:

Don’t underestimate the star power of Chalamet, Zendaya, Momoa and the rest.

BR2049 was a 30+ year sequel to a fairly culty SF film. 14 year olds who weren’t up to date on early 80s sci-fi weren’t gonna tune into that. Dune doesn’t have that baggage- you can go see Dune without any knowledge of the book. BR2049 didn’t have that advantage.

(Plus br2049 was kinda middling)

Neither blade runners require reading the book to enjoy or make sense of

BR2 had Ryan Gosling and Harrison loving Ford, those two alone is way more "star draw" than new dune, not to mention the rest of the cast

This is a remake of a culty 80's movie, not sure it really has any more advantage than a sequel does

I'm not saying it for sure will flop, I hope it's a hit! But we should prepare for the worst, as the genre predicates

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blood Boils posted:

This is a remake of a culty 80's movie, not sure it really has any more advantage than a sequel does

Hey hey, it’s also a movie adaptation of a culty 60s sci-fi novel!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, yes, that's the most likely outcome. I've made peace.

I haven't. I'm still going to be pissed.

And yeah, I think Jewmanji has a point. For all the similarities between this and BR2049, there are also plenty of differences. The cast is way more of a selling point (I think Momoa, Chalamet, Zendaya, and Oscar Isaac all have their own fanbases), and the broad plot of it is way more action-y and accessible than Blade Runner. Describing it as a Star Wars-esque YA fantasy isn't actually wrong. And I think Game of Thrones did this story a real solid by making war between feudal Houses palatable to popular tastes.

The first Dune book isn't that weird in 2021. I'm not saying it'll earn Marvel money, but I'm not yet resigned to never getting Part 2.

KaptainKrunk posted:

The "problem" with Dune (not a big deal to me but I see the argument) is the lack of contrast in design between the imperial houses and Dune itself. Their costuming is not at all extravagant, having more of a utilitarian edge. Everything fits together, but it would have been more daring to up the ante and go for it design wise.

I get it, but I'm still not convinced this will be a problem. House Atreides dresses simply, but that feels appropriate for who they are: not extravagant, fairly humble, tailored but ultimately human. The Fremen wear way more textural earth tones, natural-looking scarves and cloaks, which to my eye *does* contrast with the kind of clean, tailored look Paul has at first. Eventually they all start dressing like the Fremen, pragmatically because of the stillsuits but also thematically because that's the plot.

Of course, House Harkonnen looks very distinct...they're a bunch of severe, hairless vampire people in cold BDSM leather. And then there were the people in all blinding white in the new trailer, who I assume were Spacing Guild? Which would also make sense: they're wealthy profiteers whose official policy is to keep their hands clean in feudal matters. Having them dress like ostentatious clergy serves that thought pretty well, if that's who they're supposed to be.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MrYenko posted:

Hey hey, it’s also a movie adaptation of a culty 60s sci-fi novel!

It's the world's best selling science fiction novel.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Blade Runner 2049 was great and it made far more money than the original did, adjusted for inflation.

If the studio isn't happy with how much they made on it then that's just a function of how much they spent making and promoting it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Blood Boils posted:

BR2 had Ryan Gosling and Harrison loving Ford, those two alone is way more "star draw" than new dune, not to mention the rest of the cast

Maybe for people of a certain age. Teenage girls probably don’t give a poo poo about Harrison Ford

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Looks like a bit may have veered from the text.
(Paul present when Leto is killed?)

I am going to assume these were two different scenes, cut together in the trailer for dramatic effect.

As someone who liked BR2049, I have a good feeling for this Dune movie.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
as good as the footage looks visually part of me wants to see camp along the lines of https://youtube.com/watch?v=XI_dpBel6S0

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Xealot posted:

The first Dune book isn't that weird in 2021. I'm not saying it'll earn Marvel money, but I'm not yet resigned to never getting Part 2.

Not only is the first book not weird, the first half of the first book is about as straight forward as Sci-Fi gets.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

I never understand where this notion that Dune has to look totally extravagant comes from. It’s not in the text. Lynch and Jodorowsky both took the fairly sparse physical descriptions and ran wild, but it’s not some great act of apostasy to render the visuals in a more subdued fashion. There’s plenty of striking visuals in the trailers, it just doesn’t smack you in the face with colors.

One of the earlier descriptions in the book is a globe of Arrakis that the Baron has. It sounds utterly antiquated and lacking any wild sci-fi imagery- it has very fine gold inlay for the latitude and longitude markers. That’s it. And yet if it was in the movie people would be like, “boring!!!”.

The book takes place in a stark desert and inside of caves. I never picture Lynchian stuff.

The Baron's threads and all of the Harkonnen heraldry is a blue griffon on a white field and there's a lot of green and red on Atreides uniforms. If they actually did stick to what color info we get in the book it wouldn't be subdued at all. It's just kind of weak to me if everyone's wearing dark grey/black when in the book the characters' inner voices and the narration often puts so much reverence and importance on their respective factions' colors and symbols.

That said, this trailer shows so more detailed outfits and colorful ones and I'm going to be seeing this in theaters opening night no matter what because it's Dune.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 23, 2021

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Not only is the first book not weird, the first half of the first book is about as straight forward as Sci-Fi gets.

This is laughably untrue. What a weird thing to say!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Salty Star Wars nerds trying to distract ppl from how their trilogy is just Dune but with less plot and more muppets. May the tooth be with you.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

phasmid posted:

Salty Star Wars nerds trying to distract ppl from how their trilogy is just Dune but with less plot and more muppets. May the tooth be with you.

Muppets Dune would whip rear end

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Jewmanji posted:

This is laughably untrue. What a weird thing to say!

The highest-grossing sci-fi movie is about blue cat people who connect their tails together to have sex.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Neo Rasa posted:

Muppets Dune would whip rear end

I'm still kinda sad we didn't get Guillermo del Toro's live action Hobbit movie also.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

It was typical in feudal times for the monarch to rotate the duchys or what have you, either as a political currency amongst his aristocrats or as a form of musical chairs. It was basically favor-trading. Shaddam has inward motives and outward motives. The outward motive is that each house basically gets a turn managing Arrakis because it’s too lucrative to become a permanent fief of any one house

Depends on the country. I can't think of any European country that did so, but this was a famous tactic in the unification of Japan during the warring states era.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The highest-grossing sci-fi movie is about blue cat people who connect their tails together to have sex.

I’m not sure how that relates to whether Dune is “the simplest sci-fi book ever”?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This movie will be yet another Dune adaptation not brave enough to have chairdogs so it's not really going to be an issue.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Depends on the country. I can't think of any European country that did so, but this was a famous tactic in the unification of Japan during the warring states era.

Yeah, that wasn't a thing in Europe because somebody's fief was their personal property and they had armies to back that up (possibly larger than the monarch's own armies, depending on the time and place). Redistributing fiefs like that is only possible in a system where they were handed out to the nobility by a higher authority in the first place (like, you know, a space emperor).

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie will be yet another Dune adaptation not brave enough to have chairdogs so it's not really going to be an issue.

I will do it. I will direct The Dosadi Experiment.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I would've liked them to go a bit harder on the spice eyes. I always pictured them as this rather startling alien look, a near uniform blue with just a black pupil swimming inside. But here they mostly just look like regular blue eyes with a slight tinge to the sclera.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/KeatonPatti/status/1418268547009060871

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

But goddamn this faux-arabic ululating is in everything and I'm so sick of it

I dont know, I like the anger myself. It doesnt sound to me like the typical wailing woman (ala Zach Snyder cut or half the James Horner scores)
Here is the actual zimmer track. The trailer spliced it in with some trailer music from another guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdtiYwSP9ko

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

Arent chair dogs only developed between the fourth and fifth book?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

This movie will be yet another Dune adaptation not brave enough to have swan toilets so it's not really going to be an issue.

FTFY

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Blood Boils posted:

(Plus br2049 was kinda middling)

Neither blade runners require reading the book to enjoy or make sense of

I'm not saying it for sure will flop, I hope it's a hit! But we should prepare for the worst, as the genre predicates

That's like saying lotr was a remake of a culty 70s cartoon, while ignoring the massive source material fan base. Lynch version of dune was pretty horrible.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You can make Dune pretty action heavy if you want.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

AnEdgelord posted:

Arent chair dogs only developed between the fourth and fifth book?

Yeah, many thousands of years down the line

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

DeafNote posted:

I dont know, I like the anger myself. It doesnt sound to me like the typical wailing woman (ala Zach Snyder cut or half the James Horner scores)
Here is the actual zimmer track. The trailer spliced it in with some trailer music from another guy.

They should replace it with a Tarzan yodel.

The wailing woman thing is on a level with the hawk shreek, both comically overused.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nuh uh it was their… hair… brain.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Hasselblad posted:

That's like saying lotr was a remake of a culty 70s cartoon, while ignoring the massive source material fan base. Lynch version of dune was pretty horrible.

It was! But that doesn't ignore it's source, plus Jackson's series take influences from the larger genre beyond the books anyways (hence Scottish dwarves from Warcraft and Vulcan elves from star trek)

Disagree about lunch but :shrug:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm just glad they're using those cool dragonfly ships, it's a cool design.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Gonna get chills at Oscar Isaac’s line reading of ”they tried to take the life of my son”

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Perestroika posted:

Personally I would've liked them to go a bit harder on the spice eyes. I always pictured them as this rather startling alien look, a near uniform blue with just a black pupil swimming inside. But here they mostly just look like regular blue eyes with a slight tinge to the sclera.

I have the same complaint, nobody ever depicts the eyes the way they're described in the book and it bums me out.

My guess is filmmakers have tried it and it just doesn't work on screen for some reason.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Look up people with dark eyeball tattoos. That’s how it would read on the screen, dark blue, even full black eyes in dark scenes. Very alien and unrelatable which is not something you want out of half your cast probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

DeafNote posted:

Where's the Toto?