Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, where are they supposed to be now? Ink Witch’s pad, or is this just the base of Arudak’s tower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So wait, they cured the plant lady of whatever her problem was so now she's fully sentient (I think?), but also we know literally nothing about her and also she still doesn't wear clothes for some reason?

???

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

why do none of the female characters in this comic have names or even basic characterization?!?!?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Where did those books come from?

They don't leave the library with them. And they didn't have them when the beamed down from the Ink Ship. Or when they entered the library.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fister Roboto posted:

why do none of the female characters in this comic have names or even basic characterization?!?!?

Fister Roboto posted:

female characters

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

So, where are they supposed to be now? Ink Witch’s pad, or is this just the base of Arudak’s tower?
The Freddy Krueger claws on the roof seem to suggest they're still in Aktu Hold, where the library is.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

They probably just rented a place next to the library so that they can return to it the next day or so that they can play tourist in the orc city.None of this was communicated to us but I'm sure Snout will write about it in his diary later.

TheHan posted:

On to the next playset we go. I feel nauseous seeing Ink Witch and Snout hold hands.

The perspective on the building is hosed up, I'm pretty sure that path to the front door is supposed to be head on to it but it looks like it's like 20 degrees off to the left.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

So wait, they cured the plant lady of whatever her problem was so now she's fully sentient (I think?), but also we know literally nothing about her and also she still doesn't wear clothes for some reason?

???
She was wearing clothes in the establishing shot and at dinner.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, at least it's a relatively normal pa- wait, why the gently caress are Snout and Corpsemom sharing a bed, and why is she naked?

Also, when did she learn to read books?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

YF-23 posted:

The perspective on the building is hosed up, I'm pretty sure that path to the front door is supposed to be head on to it but it looks like it's like 20 degrees off to the left.
The corner nearest to the viewer is also probably meant to be a right angle instead of like 150 degrees.

And then you notice that the pitch of the roof isn't constant, or at least every single rafter(?) is at a different angle in a way that can't be explained by perspective.

And then there's that bay window....

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
DEAF

Sorry, it just bothers me every time. It's like Mookie got embarrassed trying to talk to a deaf person once and thinks everyone with a disability should be forced to advertise it.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Loving the contrast between this and the Kirkewood comic in the byob webcomic

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Conveniently censoring a butt with Snout’s head

I’m onto you mookie

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does Mookie fantasize about being in a polycule? He inserts so much nudity with this group of four that it feels like polycule wish fulfilment.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

He thinks it's mature. I don't think there's anything more to it beyond the fetishisation of the idea that casual nudity and comfort with the naked body is a sign of intellectual maturity. Same as the constant reverence he shows towards the idea of books and bookreading.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly I might be on board with that, I actually like the idea of a comic that depicts a healthy poly relationship. But in this case, Snout seems to have no agency, both of the women just started naked cuddling him without consent, and one of them is pretty much a baby, mentally (at least at the time? I guess she's fixed now or something? That's still very unclear).

It's closer to a harem anime than a polycule. Which is the fantasy it's fulfilling, I suppose - multiple women fawning over a worthless guy who has put in no effort to the relationship. It's for guys that want sex and relationships, but are too terrified/lazy to actually do any of the work required.

And of course the non-consensual stuff is actually ok because Mookie knows Snout wanted it! (Although the audience certainly doesn't.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 23, 2021

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Mookie's explicitly stated goal of having casual nudity (both male/female) to try and normalize it is actually good and he's even stuck to it unlike his 'no dialogue' gimmick. The Mookie we had in the first 20 strips of Legacy would have drawn the butt though.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Always that same condescending, proud, parental, pitying smile at Snout. props to Mookie I guess he do be getting across a lot of emotion in the faces alone even if it's just that one face every time

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Yeah, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with wanting to draw nudity constantly in the comic, and even the naked dreaming makes sense since it's not an unheard-of trope in other media as symbolism for otherworldly magic or the bare truth or whatnot. The problem is that the very first scene that introduces the nudity themes has Snout sleeping naked on the floor next to an injured, unconscious stranger.

This happens repeatedly in the comic, where rarely do they have naked cuddles because they both want to: There's always someone who's asleep, or sleep-walking/sleep-stripping, or mentally affected by necromancy, or otherwise unable to either give consent or respect others' lack thereof. It's uncomfortable to read, Snout himself has shown discomfort, but it's all water under the bridge as soon as the "magic made them do it" card is played. It could be reasonably guessed that Corpsewife and Snout already hashed out offscreen that it's okay to sleep in the same bed, but that's a hard sell both because of prior context and because Corpsewife lacks any agency as a character.

It can't even be said that maybe their present society just doesn't have nudity taboos, given the shame and humiliation expressed when Snout's walking through Mongeltown naked after losing his clothes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah it's been kind of glossed over since Mookie rapidly dropped corpsemom in relevance but she's just dandy now. She can talk to everyone in perfect english with full comprehension and doesn't fly into outbursts or vines. No followup on how she feels being this undead vine incubator with a stolen soul or even what her name is. Kind of feels like someone told him giving this black woman the mental faculties of a baby and having her prone to violent outbursts sucked rear end and Mookie wrapped up her "arc" in a hurry. Which yeah, he oughta.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s like Mookie wants to try to present both the innocent “look how pure he is” and the sexual readings of nudity at the same time.

I’d slightly respect him more if he just set every nude page to have Baby Got Back blasting in the background.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm fine with it in concept too, but so many things about Mookie's depiction of it just rub me the wrong way. The non-consensual cuddling, the magical changing pubic hair, how one one thinks to give corpsemom any loving clothes during the whole sequence treating her at Arudak's house... It's just very, very off.

There's also this bit of dialogue which, while it doesn't offend me, annoys the crap out of me:

As a side note, while looking up that image, I was reminded of this panel, which has an expression on Snout's face that I actually find genuinely charming and funny:

Go back to the Looney Tunes Snout, Mookie. It was dumb, sure, but it wasn't... Whatever the comic is now.

Regalingualius posted:

It’s like Mookie wants to try to present both the innocent “look how pure he is” and the sexual readings of nudity at the same time.

I’d slightly respect him more if he just set every nude page to have Baby Got Back blasting in the background.

I'd respect him more if he committed and had them bone instead of this loving naked cuddling dance.

Just Ink Witch though. If he and Corpsemom bone, then, ugh, gently caress you Mookie.

TheHan posted:

Yeah it's been kind of glossed over since Mookie rapidly dropped corpsemom in relevance but she's just dandy now. She can talk to everyone in perfect english with full comprehension and doesn't fly into outbursts or vines. No followup on how she feels being this undead vine incubator with a stolen soul or even what her name is. Kind of feels like someone told him giving this black woman the mental faculties of a baby and having her prone to violent outbursts sucked rear end and Mookie wrapped up her "arc" in a hurry. Which yeah, he oughta.

And yet still she has no name

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 23, 2021

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Countdown until Snout names Corpsemomwife some dumb poo poo he sees or reads.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Me realizing the comic’s been around for two years and the female characters still aren’t named

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Why does he insist on drawing snouts tail with those gross folds

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Countdown until Snout names Corpsemomwife some dumb poo poo he sees or reads.

Can't have that, that would be Snout doing something on his own initiative.

Instead Corpsemomwife will read a name in a book and want to name herself that, but she'll ask Snout if it's a good name first, and of course he will say yes, because he's so nice.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Mors Rattus posted:

Doesn't she have the soul of the guy who was skinned alive? Maybe she got her/his memories back after Sunflower made her throw up the evil seed.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boy that seems like the kind of thing you'd sure want to clarify to the reader, instead of "she is fixed and can talk now and told them all about how nice Snout is! Then everyone went to go read books."

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Twelve by Pies posted:

Can't have that, that would be Snout doing something on his own initiative.

Instead Corpsemomwife will read a name in a book and want to name herself that, but she'll ask Snout if it's a good name first, and of course he will say yes, because he's so nice.

Corpsemomwife who he taught the alphabet to will point at the word vine, then snout will make unsure face. Inkmommy will use inkmagic to add -lla. Snout will make his satisfied face at Vinella while Inkmommy makes her mom face at him.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The last time Mookie did an arc without naming the women he ended up giving them the names the fanbase were using, but somehow I don't see that happening with "Corpsemomwife".

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Trapezium Dave posted:

The last time Mookie did an arc without naming the women he ended up giving them the names the fanbase were using, but somehow I don't see that happening with "Corpsemomwife".

Aren't we the fanbase?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Bismuth posted:

Loving the contrast between this and the Kirkewood comic in the byob webcomic

I'm really tempted to post Kirkewood here as a palette cleanser, and to show the contrast on how it handles having a main character who's deaf.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I'm really tempted to post Kirkewood here as a palette cleanser, and to show the contrast on how it handles having a main character who's deaf.

Or just go read it over there

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Aren't we the fanbase?
The same as last time. I've got flashbacks to spending every single update complaining "what is her name Mookie?" :argh:

This time I've forgot every characters name except Snout and I don't care because every character is only there to be Snout's helper in a quest that I've also forgot because it might as well not exist.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Billy Gnosis posted:

Aren't we the fanbase?

There are unironically more of us here than people that engage with Mookie's comic posts on Twitter. I'm not sure if there are more posters here than the 177 patrons he has, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

We are the Deegan fans

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Yeah, that's a good option too. :v:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There are unironically more of us here than people that engage with Mookie's comic posts on Twitter. I'm not sure if there are more posters here than the 177 patrons he has, but I wouldn't be surprised.

There's a few people snarking about it here so at least we're not completely alone on mocking this shitfest.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, that's a good option too. :v:

There's a few people snarking about it here so at least we're not completely alone on mocking this shitfest.

those people aren't true deegan fans. not like us

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wait what the gently caress

Mookie already set up his antagonists and the plot structure, its right there. Snout and co should be chasing the rogue inkwitch and baldbadman as they strike at libriaries across the world, erasing books and hoarding all the ink. Their desire to keep knowledge to themselves was right there in their introduction with them wiping the books and then followed by the long long exposition panels.

What the fucks been happening since then? Nothing! How long ago was that jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

What the fucks been happening since then? Nothing! How long ago was that jesus.
Two or three days of in-world time.