Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

text editor posted:

read a few times and I still don't understand why the art seller has to have money to pay the buyers?

sounds like they were originally going to do the non-bitcoin-related scam where some co-conspirator writes him a big fake check and the scammers get him to pay them their commission for 10% of the check's face value in realmoney before the fake check bounces and he realizes he's on the hook

but the op was dumb enough to just give them his laptop with his crypto wallet unlocked so they got to do something much funnier instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
No Al, Bitcoin

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

FAUXTON posted:

yeah but the dumbass got owned by a basic security failure like "not securing your computer when you leave it unattended"

yes exactly, the naive fross

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What

https://twitter.com/PPathole/status/1417910811339620353

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

"Can anyone smell burnt toast?" - Elon Musk

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
surprised to see elgin marbles implicitly endorsing labour theory of value

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Money is a series of tubes.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
id like to see him explain the velocity of money of bitcoins and it’s latency

no wait actually I don’t

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

id like to see him explain the velocity of money of bitcoins and it’s latency

no wait actually I don’t

"....lightning...network?"

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

⚡️dogelon⚡️muskoin⚡️

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

In the other major internet-fueled form of wishful money-related thinking, the AMC/WallStreetBets crowd has come up with a new reason why their strategy of buying mediocre stocks hasn't made them infinitely rich yet...

https://twitter.com/_laqwann_/status/1418394863700086789?s=20

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

that's a lot of words to describe something the author has less than zero comprehension about.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i thought all the people running those reddit groups worked at hedge funds anyway?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chalks posted:

i thought all the people running those reddit groups worked at hedge funds anyway?

no they just filed fictitious name statements so they could cosplay hedge funds with names like "alpha bull analytic strategies"

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

hedgies in shambles for sure

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
wtf is a capital-A Ape

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hammerite posted:

wtf is a capital-A Ape

It's the term that the people buying meme stocks have given themselves. (Along with the slogan "apes together strong", to show how their imagined zerg-rush of dumb retail investment decisions is actually a moral fight against the banks/institutional investors/other forces of evil.)

https://twitter.com/rolandoZ20/status/1418283910790844420?s=20

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hammerite posted:

wtf is a capital-A Ape

Agile Gibbon.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

no they just filed fictitious name statements so they could cosplay hedge funds with names like "alpha bull analytic strategies"

they weren't hedge fund managers but a bunch of them were/are finance bros in other capacities iirc

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i swear, keeping on top of all the ways people are dumb on the internet could be a full time job.

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
i made like ten bills on gme so wsb is good to me, actually

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Forums Medic posted:

ten washingtons, I assume

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

no, bill as in restaurant bill

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They used to call themselves the R-word last time I looked so props to them on not doubling down on being 4chan-edgy

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

LanceHunter posted:

In the other major internet-fueled form of wishful money-related thinking, the AMC/WallStreetBets crowd has come up with a new reason why their strategy of buying mediocre stocks hasn't made them infinitely rich yet...

this looks like qanon, but with stock market

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 23, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Forums Medic posted:

ten dollars? congrats!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"diamond hands" will never not amuse me, it's such a transparent scam on individual investors to hold longer than they should

every time you buy something you should either have a date or a price target in mind for unloading it, you don't make any money until you sell

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

qirex posted:

"diamond hands" will never not amuse me, it's such a transparent scam on individual investors to hold longer than they should

every time you buy something you should either have a date or a price target in mind for unloading it, you don't make any money until you sell

you also don’t realize losses if you never sell. checkmate statist 😎

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

i don't understand these words

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

ymgve posted:

ten washingtons, I assume

Bill Franklin babey

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boxturret posted:

i don't understand these words

Mercury_Storm posted:

this looks like qanon, but with stock market

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sapozhnik posted:

They used to call themselves the R-word last time I looked so props to them on not doubling down on being 4chan-edgy

wallstreetbets still does that
and "autists"
but iirc they kicked out the amc/gamestop "number go up" cultists because they were completely taking over what was supposed to be a shitposting subreddit, so those people moved somewhere else

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

qirex posted:

...b-b-b-but they said that there are more shares being shorted than there are shares in circulation! And they said the naked shorts are required to buy back the shares on their due date! a-a-a-and if we just all have diamond hands and keep our shares in the never-sell "infinity pool", then the short-sellers will have to keep paying more and more to cover their shorts until the price is infinity. Then you can see just 1 share and be a billionaire!*

*This is what these people actually believe. At least, what they tell each other that they believe. I imagine most of them realize this isn't accurate and think that they're going to "double-cross" the other apes by selling eventually when they can be mere millionaires. Also, they clearly don't understand that it is within AMC or Gamestop's power to just issue more shares.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

LanceHunter posted:

...b-b-b-but they said that there are more shares being shorted than there are shares in circulation! And they said the naked shorts are required to buy back the shares on their due date! a-a-a-and if we just all have diamond hands and keep our shares in the never-sell "infinity pool", then the short-sellers will have to keep paying more and more to cover their shorts until the price is infinity. Then you can see just 1 share and be a billionaire!*

*This is what these people actually believe. At least, what they tell each other that they believe. I imagine most of them realize this isn't accurate and think that they're going to "double-cross" the other apes by selling eventually when they can be mere millionaires. Also, they clearly don't understand that it is within AMC or Gamestop's power to just issue more shares.

but why would they issue more shares, then the share price won't go up to infinity, which is of course the only purpose of shares

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm a long term investor but every individual stock I hold regularly issues dividends

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

LanceHunter posted:

It's the term that the people buying meme stocks have given themselves. (Along with the slogan "apes together strong", to show how their imagined zerg-rush of dumb retail investment decisions is actually a moral fight against the banks/institutional investors/other forces of evil.)

https://twitter.com/rolandoZ20/status/1418283910790844420?s=20
huh. i figured it was them internet cosplaying as starship troopers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not shocked at the walls of incomprehensible jargon because it's kind of cosplaying what real investors do, when you learn about a part of the financial industry a lot of it is just understanding the slang, since stock traders use different terms than forex people, etc. I got a peek at a customer's bloomberg chat window once [with permission] and it was about as comprehensible to me as a teen group text would be

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I long for the olden days of gambling on AAPL options before earnings. why hodl when you can treat the stock market like a scratcher ticket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

someone here once described bitcoin as a real life implementation of the prisoner's dilemma where all participants are all just constantly mashing the betray button and i think about that whenever i read something like this