Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Dang sucks to hear the IDLES music in the Wargame Glory Sim: Sponsored by Rape Factory

Oh well time to find another band to love before I hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
That trailer was super fun, I look forward to the open beta

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Watching that Jackfrags video on making your own game modes just has me unreasonably excited for this. I don't think I've actually been this excited for a game in a decade. The bots just make it seem like an actual sequel for BF2 that I've waited for so long.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Watching that Jackfrags video on making your own game modes just has me unreasonably excited for this. I don't think I've actually been this excited for a game in a decade. The bots just make it seem like an actual sequel for BF2 that I've waited for so long.

Same, games are so plentiful these days that any AAA release doesn't really make me feel that anticipation. BF2042 is looking really exciting. With those 7 new HUGE maps and now 6 more classics with the potential for so many fun game variations, there's so much content. And, with native new-gen versions, 128 players and another mode to announce, this is going to kick rear end.

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 23, 2021

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Speaking of AAA does this new mode mean you can get a Tunguska and just mow down WW2 aircraft for fun? Um, asking for a friend.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It's too bad the music in the trailer was dumb instead of going full on epic orchestral cinematic style

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

codo27 posted:

It's too bad the music in the trailer was dumb instead of going full on epic orchestral cinematic style
https://tubedubber.com/?q=17LuEKeN6NY:-w-58hQ9dLk:0:100:28:0:1

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

So they definitely understand that "fun" was the missing piece in their sandbox war game but still they might gently caress up any number of things even if the beta goes well.

That's why they gave us an editor, let people make their own fun and you don't have to put in effort. Bing Bong so simple.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 43 hours!
hahahah nazis vs. defib team sold me

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Propaganda Hour posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if 2142 is a Season 2 plan for Battlefield Portal.

2142 feels like probably the biggest lift to me in terms of unique assets required to be built in order to implement, I'd guess it'd be more of a season 4 or 5 thing.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I may be dense, but how exactly does this new mode work? Is it a server admin tool only? Or can I just fire up the game, create my custom match, populate it with bots and invite other players?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Chikimiki posted:

I may be dense, but how exactly does this new mode work? Is it a server admin tool only? Or can I just fire up the game, create my custom match, populate it with bots and invite other players?

Yeah my understanding is that it's like Halo 3 custom games. Just set your options and start a match.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Chikimiki posted:

The portal tool itself is external to the game (the game isn’t even required to use it). You just create your settings and export it to presumably a config file that you can share or load while hosting a match.

Hopper posted:

I wonder how much fun it is to go through 3 billion different servers with custom modes to find one that is actually fun. After all, filtering the servers in the other games to get rid of "24/7 what have you" ones was already a pain.
They said there will be a quick match feature for one they seem the more “popular” custom games. Though I’d imagine only dedicated servers will be listed in the ingame browser to cut down on the number of servers.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

henpod posted:

The optimist in me says that the minor flop of BFV, plus COD/Warzone being the big FPS boi at the moment gave them real motivation to pull all the stops out.

By all accounts there was some house cleaning after BFV in terms of staff and it's been rumored that EA basically took the reins away from Dice Sweden for this round

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fart Car '97 posted:

By all accounts there was some house cleaning after BFV in terms of staff and it's been rumored that EA basically took the reins away from Dice Sweden for this round

Hope Mr. "I'm gonna randomly start scrambling with the game's entire balance despite literally no one complaining about TTK" isn't in charge anymore.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SolarFire2 posted:

I pray at least the BC2 'No Prone' rule becomes popular.

I wish they’d take prone out, just to combat drop shotting if nothing else.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

codo27 posted:

Using licensed music is sacrilege for a Battlefield trailer, only remixes of the 1942 main theme are kosher. For the reveal and gameplay trailers they just grabbed the songs off an “epic music” youtube channel called 2WEI. It’s wasn’t even specially composed for the game!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The 1943 version of the theme was the goat

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

psyman posted:

Using licensed music is sacrilege for a Battlefield trailer, only remixes of the 1942 main theme are kosher. For the reveal and gameplay trailers they just grabbed the songs off an “epic music” youtube channel called 2WEI. It’s wasn’t even specially composed for the game!

They did at least edit in the BF sting to the song (and sound effects) which was better than nothing, but a proper return to an orchestral version (or a non-orchestral cover that's at least mainly based on the original and not just the sting added in) would be heartily appreciated.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

psyman posted:

2WEI has been contracted to make remixes specifically for the BF reveals since BF1

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

2142 feels like probably the biggest lift to me in terms of unique assets required to be built in order to implement, I'd guess it'd be more of a season 4 or 5 thing.

Boy do I want to drive a walker over nazis though

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RocketRaygun posted:

Boy do I want to drive a walker over nazis though

Seriously, would love a reveal trailer of PAC walkers just running rampage through BFV German soldiers.

Ideally backed up by their hover tanks and their hover scout-car/suicide machine (seriously if that thing was real so many soldiers would be hurt/killed driving it because it just looks like it punishes stupid drivers and anyone in a 3 kilometer radius)

Heck, have them staring down advancing Russian forces only for RUSSIANS FROM THE FUTURE! to suddenly start appearing.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

that scene of them shooting a jeep into a jet-osprey would have been way funnier if it was them shooting the jeep at a Titan

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Legit want them to add 2142 so they could add a Titan Mode to nearly every map.

Karkand Titan (admittedly that would require a BF2 mode). Heck, any of the maps in BF1 that got a zeppelin can now have TWO future-zeppelins!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’ve noticed that 2042 trailers have been very fond of large things falling on people.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

henpod posted:

Same, games are so plentiful these days that any AAA release doesn't really make me feel that anticipation. BF2042 is looking really exciting. With those 7 new HUGE maps and now 6 more classics with the potential for so many fun game variations, there's so much content. And, with native new-gen versions, 128 players and another mode to announce, this is going to kick rear end.

lol why does this postg read like ad copy

e: all of their posts in the thread are like that wtf

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol why does this postg read like ad copy

e: all of their posts in the thread are like that wtf

This may be a shock to you but sometimes we can be excited for things, even if its foolish to do so.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

It’s possible for people to get excited about video games.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Tbf that post really did read like copy

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I for one am also excited about the latest entry in the long running, multi-award winning series Battlefield. I can’t wait to join millions of other players from around the world in chaotic and sprawling 128 player battles across 7 huge maps, from storm ravaged tropical islands to sand storm choked cities. The new Battlefield Portal which is bringing back my favorite weapons, vehicles, and maps from past Battlefield games such as Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 and combining that with the all new custom mode features of Battlefield 2042 promises to be an explosive combination of past, present, and future!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Skyarb posted:

This may be a shock to you but sometimes we can be excited for things, even if its foolish to do so.

Space Jam posted:

It’s possible for people to get excited about video games.

guys if you cant tell the difference between a regular positive post and that post idk what to tell you. if reading like a corporate twitter account is their bit its a good one

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Writing copy is a skill

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I've been replaying Battlefield 4 recently on my PC and greatly enjoying it again.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Jenny Agutter posted:

guys if you cant tell the difference between a regular positive post and that post idk what to tell you. if reading like a corporate twitter account is their bit its a good one

yeah the only benefit of the doubt im gonna give this one is maybe op is a marketer by day and just didn't turn off their internal corporate poo poo shovel before coming home to post? there's a difference between "i am a regular person who is excited about a video game" and "With those 7 new HUGE maps and now 6 more classics with the potential for so many fun game variations, there's so much content."

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Kibayasu posted:

I for one am also excited about the latest entry in the long running, multi-award winning series Battlefield. I can’t wait to join millions of other players from around the world in chaotic and sprawling 128 player battles across 7 huge maps, from storm ravaged tropical islands to sand storm choked cities. The new Battlefield Portal which is bringing back my favorite weapons, vehicles, and maps from past Battlefield games such as Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 and combining that with the all new custom mode features of Battlefield 2042 promises to be an explosive combination of past, present, and future!

Lmao

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Kibayasu posted:

Unironically this copy.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Jenny Agutter posted:

It does but it’s just a cheesy post, so what.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Since I've unlocked pretty much everything else for the other classes in BF1, I'm playing as sniper now but I hate sniping but then I started using that Russian lever-action, the trench version, and woah why did nobody tell me how good it is?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Mordja posted:

Since I've unlocked pretty much everything else for the other classes in BF1, I'm playing as sniper now but I hate sniping but then I started using that Russian lever-action, the trench version, and woah why did nobody tell me how good it is?

Russian Trench + Flares = BF1 Snypa Life. Like it almost doesn't even matter that you get free points for lighting an area up: you get to cast fireball in modern shooter.

Though generally I preferred to go Assault (with just about any loadout/primary) mixed with gas grenades: Assaults are the class least likely to require/want/need to look down sights anyways, who cares if you're wearing your gas mask at all times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Russian Trench + Flares = BF1 Snypa Life. Like it almost doesn't even matter that you get free points for lighting an area up: you get to cast fireball in modern shooter.

Though generally I preferred to go Assault (with just about any loadout/primary) mixed with gas grenades: Assaults are the class least likely to require/want/need to look down sights anyways, who cares if you're wearing your gas mask at all times?

There is one weapon for assault where looking down the sights is fun and good: The double-barrel model 1900 with slugs. Beaning snipers from a hundred meters with that thing is just :discourse: