Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Do any modern media releases come with color bars? I remember a few DVD releases having them so you can adjust your tv settings to the bars provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The problem with 4k physical releases is they have no sense of humor like previous generations did. I would pay like $60 for a “Waterfront Bloodsuckers Limited Edition” of Lost Boys with a sweaty saxophone slipcover.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Do any modern media releases come with color bars? I remember a few DVD releases having them so you can adjust your tv settings to the bars provided.

Most modern TVs just have them built in.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Color calibration is as follows:

Prep: make sure your TV has a blue only mode, set all settings to 0 or middle position (leave sharpening off)

1. Set your TV's warmth setting to warm 2

2. The PLUGE is the mass of black in the lower right. If you turn up the brightness setting, you should see 3 bars, the left one is 0 IRE (super black), the middle is 7.5 IRE (standard black), and 11 IRE (just above standard black). Adjust brightness setting until left and middle bars are solid black and you can just barely see the right bar

3. In the lower left corner, there's a block of white. This block should measure 15 footlamberts from viewing distance (this one's a little harder to do if you don't have a light meter that measures reflectance). If you don't have a light meter, just set it to around the halfway point between the middle and all the way to the far right (like a 7/10 or 75/100). You'll have to go back and readjust the brightness setting to make sure the 11 IRE bar is just barely visible.

4. Turn on blue only mode. The columns of grey, yellow, cyan, green, magenta, red, and blue along with the rectangles below them should be shades of blue now. Adjust tint and saturation so that each bar and its corresponding rectangle is a single solid blue color. You'll have to go back and forth between tint and saturation until you get the balance right.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Criterion Eraserhead blu has a walk through for calibrating

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/TommyWiseau/status/1418326573296406528?s=20

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is the Criterion UHD they keep teasing

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is the Criterion UHD they keep teasing

I wish.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope the crowd is nice. He came to Denver on my birthday and he was kind of mean bc the crowd was such shits.

The one went too with him before was great. He was chill and happy. And the crowd was good.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The last time I went to a Room screening it was people being drunk as hell yelling over each other for the entire runtime (and the occasional spoon throwing). It was so obnoxious that I never want to do that again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My last showing was with Tommy in attendance and it was pretty chill. He had a particularly insane Q&A beforehand, which was great, but he seemed genuinely sad signing stuff afterward.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cacator posted:

The last time I went to a Room screening it was people being drunk as hell yelling over each other for the entire runtime (and the occasional spoon throwing). It was so obnoxious that I never want to do that again.

Well yeah that’s the fun of it. It’s great when you have a crowd that has mst3k their jokes so they actually ya know, say something funny instead of some random crap.

I love it. It’s the best thing to be in a room full of everyone just having a good time. I miss it.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

VoodooXT posted:

Color calibration is as follows:

I can't tell if this is satire.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I may be the only person who hates the room. Despite this I’ve still sat through it like 6 times at this point. Shits just not even fun bad. Just bad bad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

dorium posted:

I may be the only person who hates the room. Despite this I’ve still sat through it like 6 times at this point. Shits just not even fun bad. Just bad bad.

I do not like The Room. It's not fun. It's bullshit, I did not like it. I did naaaaht. Oh hi, Mark.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

The room is only good in room (lol) filled with people yelling poo poo. If you don’t like that then yeah idk what you get out of it.

Nothing is better than your jokes landing in a room screening. Also having your jokes not land sucks rear end too lmao.

Thankfully they do them so much you can almost workshop your own stupid jokes. I love it. I love talking to the weirdos like me who love that stupid movie made with way too much sincerity.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, I think he even put it up on YouTube but I have no desire to watch it alone. All the audience participation stuff is what makes The Room tolerable. That said, I’ve seen it twice like that and I’m not sure I want to see it again.

Troll 2 >>>>>>> The Room

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CelticPredator posted:

Well yeah that’s the fun of it. It’s great when you have a crowd that has mst3k their jokes so they actually ya know, say something funny instead of some random crap.

I love it. It’s the best thing to be in a room full of everyone just having a good time. I miss it.

That's the problem though, my first screening was exactly what you described with a crowd that knew what they were in for but in the last one people weren't even bothering to keep up with the movie, it was just noise and yelling.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I saw The Room with Tommy in attendance. Some kid yelled out it was his birthday, so Tommy called him up on stage. Everyone had to sing Happy Birthday to him, and at the end Tommy grabbed the kid by his belt and flipped him upside down. Fun stuff.

The spoon poo poo is obnoxious, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I find it's best to watch the movie with a group of friends rather than in a theater with people yelling poo poo, at least if you're showing it to people who've never seen it. Although the Q+A stuff at the screenings is fun. If nothing else the movie is a fascinating piece of outsider art that gives you a look into the mind of an incredibly weird person. So I think for that reason alone it's worth seeing at least once. I totally get why people wouldn't like it though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I've never seen The Room and have no desire to ever see it TBH. Same goes for Birdemic

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’d never heard of it until I happened to turn on Adult Swim on April 1st one year and the sex scene was on. I’ve still never watched the whole thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Splint Chesthair posted:

…and at the end Tommy grabbed the kid by his belt and flipped him upside down. Fun stuff.

How many belts was Tommy wearing that day? Might’ve been a covert trick to add another to the collection.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Casimir Radon posted:

I’d never heard of it until I happened to turn on Adult Swim on April 1st one year and the sex scene was on. I’ve still never watched the whole thing.

Which sex scene? There are like 5

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Room has the same issue with Rocky Horror - if you're not 100% on board, it's a room full of people screaming at you to have a good time and it's kind of the worst thing in the world.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love Rocky Horror and I can't imagine anything worse than being at a midnight showing of it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

I love Rocky Horror and I can't imagine anything worse than being at a midnight showing of it.

:what:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I enjoy the movie on its merits. I don't want a bunch of people ironically enjoying it and making fun of it while I'm trying to watch it :shrug:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

feedmyleg posted:

I enjoy the movie on its merits. I don't want a bunch of people ironically enjoying it and making fun of it while I'm trying to watch it :shrug:

this is true. i went to one drag show of Rocky Horror, just not a movie I need to see with audiences again. sometimes i just wanna watch the picture on the screen and enjoy it. where's my monday afternoon quiet showing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

this is true. i went to one drag show of Rocky Horror, just not a movie I need to see with audiences again. sometimes i just wanna watch the picture on the screen and enjoy it. where's my monday afternoon quiet showing.

I cant even watch MST3K anymore because I'd rather just watch a bad movie, I don't need robots making jokes

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

I cant even watch MST3K anymore because I'd rather just watch a bad movie, I don't need robots making jokes

amen, so wise.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
you guys at a midnight showing of Rocky Horror:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
100% yes.

Iron Crowned posted:

Hard :same:

MST3K got me into old sci-fi b-movies, but these days if I throw an episode on I just want them to shut up and let me watch the movie. I may just be an old no-fun grouch, but I don't want a speck of irony when it comes to enjoyment of films.

It drives me nuts when someone wants to do a "bad movie night." A friend and I have taken to doing "risky movie night" instead, where we watch something that will probably be bad but we actually want to engage with it to hopefully find a hidden gem. If it's very bad we generally end up talking over parts of it, but more to discuss the filmmaking choices being made, or break down how we would try to deepen some particular element or round out a character more, or talk about how the narrative could be shifted to work better.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 23, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gey muckle mowser posted:

you guys at a midnight showing of Rocky Horror:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Iron Crowned posted:

...why not both?

I appreciate RiffTrax both for poo poo I would never, under any circumstances, watch without commentary, but also for stuff I'd gladly watch unriffed. I could put on a Cynthia Rothrock movie or Tourist Trap for fun but not A Talking Cat!?!.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When I think “commentary” I think of factoids and set anecdotes from the filmmakers, not someone practicing their stand up act.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ruddiger posted:

When I think “commentary” I think of factoids and set anecdotes from the filmmakers, not someone practicing their stand up act.

:same:

I will admit that I don't do it often, but I do like when some podcasts do a "live" commentary, because for the most part it feels like hanging out in your mom's basement with a couple of pals watching a rental from Blockbuster.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Cacator posted:

I lasted about 10 minutes before I walked out. Not my crowd, I don't enjoy yelling "water" or "slut" at the movie, nor do I enjoy being around others yelling.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

caligulamprey posted:

The Room has the same issue with Rocky Horror - if you're not 100% on board, it's a room full of people screaming at you to have a good time and it's kind of the worst thing in the world.

Yeah pretty much. Which is totally fine. It’s absolutely not for everyone. But it is for me. Idk why but every time I did it I left with a smile on my face and just so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Underworld 4K collection announced… no standalone Lawrence or Hear. What is UHD.