Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This thing is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Naomi Osaka gets the honor. How cool.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
oh gently caress the torch is GODDAMN GORGEOUS

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Oh it's a Hydro flame? That's badass.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Ok ill be happy if a guy in a rubber Godzilla costume does it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I don't know enough about her other than she withdrew from a bunch of tournaments because she didn't want to do press?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
balla

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Flame on. Kiwi out. Goodnight, Olympigoons.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Photex posted:

I don't know enough about her other than she withdrew from a bunch of tournaments because she didn't want to do press?

i honestly thought she withdrew from the olympics

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Let the games begin!

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Flame on. Kiwi out. Goodnight, Olympigoons.

Goodnight goon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Photex posted:

She's Haitian-Japanese and really good at tennis

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cool ending.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Photex posted:

It wasn't just that she didn't want to do press. She felt like the obligated press conferences weren't anything but journalists trying to ask lovely questions that do nothing but instill doubt and were bad for her mental health.

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe
Really beautiful flame. Such a shame the ceremony was so subdued, but not really a surprise.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

frankenfreak posted:

non-zero odds for Mario, considering the last closing ceremony

With so many sponsors distancing themselves from the games in Japan I bet they culled all licensed content from the opening ceremony to be safe.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

BonoMan posted:

It wasn't just that she didn't want to do press. She felt like the obligated press conferences weren't anything but journalists trying to ask lovely questions that do nothing but instill doubt and were bad for her mental health.

Got it, I'm not surprised that ESPN cut off the reason then

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Everything you need to know if you missed the opening ceremony:

https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews/status/1418565663036166144?s=21

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

With so many sponsors distancing themselves from the games in Japan I bet they culled all licensed content from the opening ceremony to be safe.

100%. There is no way there wouldn't be a nintendo song in the parade unless they pulled the rights, which is a real shame. Should have replaced him with Sonic.

edit: thanks for hanging out goons! Overall not a great opener, but at least it finished strong!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

raditts posted:

She's Haitian-Japanese and really good at tennis

And she has copped SO MUCH poo poo about if she’s “Japanese” enough to represent the country.

And that was who they chose to light the torch. They at least got that right. Legitimately inspiring, along with Rui Hachimura being one of the two flag-bearers.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Zero One posted:

Everything you need to know if you missed the opening ceremony:

https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews/status/1418565663036166144?s=21

Helllloooooooo

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

harperdc posted:

And she has copped SO MUCH poo poo about if she’s “Japanese” enough to represent the country.

And that was who they chose to light the torch. They at least got that right. Legitimately inspiring, along with Rui Hachimura being one of the two flag-bearers.

Having Rui be a flag bearer was cool and Naomi closing it out even better.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Well I can definitely say I’m glad this sub forum got opened back up and this thread was made and we were all able to post here and have a good time. I know it’s corny and lame but more than any other part of the Olympics I just really look forward to shitposting with you folx about weird poo poo like goth wizard and funny stuff like oiled up shirtless athletes. I’m going back to sleep now but I’m glad I was able to take the time to wake up and watch this with y’all it was great live.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ravus posted:

100%. There is no way there wouldn't be a nintendo song in the parade unless they pulled the rights, which is a real shame. Should have replaced him with Sonic.

I want to see the universe where they had a Smash style section.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Some weird parts, some boring parts, and a couple of kick-rear end, awesome "gently caress yea" parts.

That's Japan for you!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i know literally nothing about Naomi Osaka but as soon as i saw her i was positive there'd be some conjured up controversy about her that'd mean lots of pissed off white Americans tweeting about her

guess what there is

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Cenen posted:

Well I can definitely say I’m glad this sub forum got opened back up and this thread was made and we were all able to post here and have a good time. I know it’s corny and lame but more than any other part of the Olympics I just really look forward to shitposting with you folx about weird poo poo like goth wizard and funny stuff like oiled up shirtless athletes. I’m going back to sleep now but I’m glad I was able to take the time to wake up and watch this with y’all it was great live.

Same. I love the combo of people knowing more than me about Japanese video game music, moderate poo poo posting and everyone uniting around the theme of dunking on their national broadcasters and their shortcomings. Also gently caress the IOC, Bach and bloody Visa commercials.

Edit: Okay saying Naomi represents us overcoming adversity during COVID might be a bit much NBC

J33uk fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 23, 2021

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!
Original planned opening ceremony was apparently much different with anime and Mario

https://archive.is/fyhh3

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I'm no expert but wouldn't a person like Ichiro or a Olympic Champion be a better pick for torch lighting? Osaka is a decent pick but it likely should go to the best living sportsperson from your country who is a Olympian and that's not her right now.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Island Nation posted:

I'm no expert but wouldn't a person like Ichiro or a Olympic Champion be a better pick for torch lighting? Osaka is a decent pick but it likely should go to the best living sportsperson from your country who is a Olympian and that's not her right now.

She's an excellent athlete and has been the focus of mental health discussion recently. I think it was a fine choice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Island Nation posted:

the first Japanese woman to win a tennis Major (Australian/French/Wimbledon/US), and has since won more. there's a reason she's the highest-paid Japanese athlete at the moment (from memory) and it's not because the tennis winnings or her Nike contract are that big, she's the face of a few other major brands here. She's still active, and incredibly high profile.

and like I mentioned above, there has been so much angst from conservatives here about if she's "Japanese" enough, so it's an excellent gently caress you to old people who think that way.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
^ I considered that given Japan's issue with race and sex but her skills outweigh attempts at virtue signaling^

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

She's an excellent athlete and has been the focus of mental health discussion recently. I think it was a fine choice.

If the ceremony was going for Japan in 2021 then yes she is the right choice. I just think the honor should go to the GOAT Olympian of the country hosting.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 23, 2021

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

literally a hog posted:

Original planned opening ceremony was apparently much different with anime and Mario

https://archive.is/fyhh3

I just woke up and realized the Olympics started so I had to go back and rewatch the Tokyo preview from the 2016 closing. Man, that got me super hyped for these games.

Of course, they once again make it super impossible to actually watch the games or ceremonies without paying for cable or jumping through a million hoops. :sigh:

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

I just woke up and realized the Olympics started so I had to go back and rewatch the Tokyo preview from the 2016 closing. Man, that got me super hyped for these games.

Of course, they once again make it super impossible to actually watch the games or ceremonies without paying for cable or jumping through a million hoops. :sigh:

There's still at least one benefit left for living in the UK.

Now if only the timezone wasn't complete trash :smith:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Island Nation posted:

^ I considered that given Japan's issue with race and sex but her skills outweigh attempts at virtue signaling^

If the ceremony was going for Japan in 2021 then yes she is the right choice. I just think the honor should go to the GOAT Olympian of the country hosting.

Did you see how many stairs she had to climb? It legit would have been a concern.

There's also international recognition for the global audience, and the IOC probably weigh in on whether the flame lighter is famous enough for the honour they're gifting them.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

goatface posted:

Did you see how many stairs she had to climb? It legit would have been a concern.

There's also international recognition for the global audience, and the IOC probably weigh in on whether the flame lighter is famous enough for the honour they're gifting them.

1976 had two kids representing English and French Canada, 1992 was a Paralympian, 2012 was a bunch of teenagers that the UK thought might become famous in sports so Q score and ability hasn't mattered too much. It is only my opinion that a great Olympian gets the honor, nothing more

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aardvark! posted:

i know literally nothing about Naomi Osaka but as soon as i saw her i was positive there'd be some conjured up controversy about her that'd mean lots of pissed off white Americans tweeting about her

guess what there is

It's funny, because the first time I really saw her name in the press is when she beat Serena Williams at the US Open(?) and a lot of the same people / press that were pretending to be all sympathetic towards her in order to poo poo on Serena are probably the same ones making GBS threads on her now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

She was #7 on the NY Times prediction of who would light the torch, behind some wrestlers and gymnasts who won multiple golds. I’m sure there was a spirited debate over whether to pick someone people outside Japan had heard of or not.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

raditts posted:

It's funny, because the first time I really saw her name in the press is when she beat Serena Williams at the US Open(?) and a lot of the same people / press that were pretending to be all sympathetic towards her in order to poo poo on Serena are probably the same ones making GBS threads on her now.

yes

it was a very awkward title for her

that said, i'm expecting serena to light the torch in 2028

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The drones transitioning from a logo to a globe was loving jaw-dropping.
The athlete presentation featuring JRPG battle/boss music was a cool move, but I wish they'd mixed it a bit better.
I noted that a lot of countries chose not just to embrace gender diversity (including countries which I would not have expected it from, which was a pleasant surprise), but also to have people of different races carry the flags.
And so much sartorial expression - it gets better every time!